Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) P.Stone - Funky Town

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 40,351  ·  Replies: 28 
> Is MF Ghost a Sequel to Initial D?, A connection or not?
readdyeddy
  Posted: Dec 4 2017, 10:10 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,239

In the manga (MF Ghost), written by Shuuichi Shigeno (Same writer for Initial D), R. Takahashi is involved somehow, and the FR-S version of the AE86 is used as well... Does anyone else think there is a connection? Sequel? Or Am I thinking too deep into it?

This post has been edited by readdyeddy on Dec 4 2017, 10:11 PM
Tessou
Posted: Dec 5 2017, 12:07 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Probably takes place in the same universe but I wouldn't count on much connection between the two. R. Takahashi is probably just a wink and a nod to the old series.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Eternal Firebird
Posted: Dec 25 2017, 06:32 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 47,345

(Picture is linked on the Hyperlink below since IDK how to add Images)

Hmm... interesting, Takumi's name is mentioned in MF Ghost.
Samoro
Posted: Dec 29 2017, 09:33 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 46,822

Yes. MFG is the sequel of IniD.

It's confirmed with Jouyu Fumihiro calling to Ryosuke (now a surgeon), while watch Kanata's debut race and comparing the red 86's driving with the Panda Trueno. So, it's possible we'll see more links, and possible one of the old characters appearing in the series.
Tessou
Posted: Dec 29 2017, 08:07 PM

Group Icon

I'm hoping it happens now rather than later so the kiddies can bust that nut and get it over with. I hate this series.
Rain197
Posted: Dec 30 2017, 11:31 AM

euro☆neko

Member No.: 45,553

Kodansha's page : http://yanmaga.jp/contents/mfg/

Under the characters, you can see "関連作品" which mean "Related works" with Initial D.
StephanCTR
Posted: Jan 2 2018, 02:23 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 38,044

I would say it is not a sequel but only a spiritial sucessor. Sequel would use the same name or/and characters (how would "Initial D: MFG" sound happy.gif ). Initial D characters being vaguely mentioned is not enough to make it sequel in my opinion, just a nod as Tessou says.

Now I remembered that a few years ago, Shigeno mentioned in some interview that if he returns to motoring manga, he would definitely want to do it about rally. Seems like there is some rally inspirartion in MF Ghost (usage of public roads, the time trial aspect, drivers wearing headsets, camera drones), but in the end it is not about rally at all.

This post has been edited by StephanCTR on Jan 2 2018, 02:28 AM
SonicSP
Posted: Jan 25 2018, 03:46 AM

Nagao Fanboy

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 36,182

I guess best way to describe it would be canonical spiritual successor. It's set in the same universe with them being mentioned but is mostly unrelated to the storyline arcs of Initial D.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 25 2018, 08:14 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

Takumi exists in the same universe, right? Then yeah, it's a sequel. The story doesn't necessarily have to focus on the characters/events of the past to be considered one. Why is this a thread?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
sprinter_tsuchiya
Posted: Jan 31 2018, 07:18 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 34,206

It was stated by Fumihiro (while talking to Ryousuke) that Kanata is Takumi's pupil... this makes more sense as a sequel, or as some sort of spin-off, if you will.
xiao
Posted: Jan 31 2018, 09:43 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (sprinter_tsuchiya @ Today, 8:18 AM)
It was stated by Fumihiro (while talking to Ryousuke) that Kanata is Takumi's pupil... this makes more sense as a sequel, or as some sort of spin-off, if you will.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 758 x 701. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
sprinter_tsuchiya
Posted: Feb 3 2018, 07:40 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 34,206

QUOTE (xiao @ Jan 31 2018, 09:43 PM)
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/0...-fijiwaterz.png

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 721 x 1024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

https://imgur.com/a/6Jvyl
Tessou
Posted: Feb 3 2018, 08:04 PM

Group Icon

It just gets worse and worse. I can hear the frothing and jerking off from here.
xiao
Posted: Feb 3 2018, 08:10 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Tessou @ 4 minutes, 14 seconds ago)
It just gets worse and worse. I can hear the frothing and jerking off from here.

I think Shigeno's trying to be Kojima .. if we get flashbacks of Takumi training Kanata in the mountains ~ that'd be jelly cream snake eater donuts tho!user posted image 🍩
Tessou
Posted: Feb 3 2018, 08:18 PM

Group Icon

This is what killed Star Wars. I don't want to see another thing I love die because of stupid "OMG OMG OMG" callbacks that didn't need to happen.

Quick, where's the 13 minute analysis of this solitary page so we can know every reverberation to be found within the inconsequential scene?!
xiao
Posted: Feb 3 2018, 08:29 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Tessou @ 9 minutes, 31 seconds ago)
This is what killed Star Wars. I don't want to see another thing I love die because of stupid "OMG OMG OMG" callbacks that didn't need to happen.

Watch .. we're gonna see Takumi Skywalker come back with a robotic hand and some weird plot device like he's blind now so that's why he went to the Drift Temple to train Kanata "86" Livington ..

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=iNusM7nCVWw )

Iron out those apexes Kanata!user posted image
Skylxne
Posted: Feb 12 2018, 11:29 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 49,592

Probably takes place in the same universe as said earlier. It doesn't really have enough connection with Initial D to be considered as sequel.
StephanCTR
Posted: Mar 6 2018, 03:55 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 38,044

I was looking at the sales data for 1st MF Ghost book and it doesn't look as good as Initial D, but is not completely bad: 62 000 in first 2 weeks, 119 000 in 6 weeks. Last Initial D relases were doing around 180 000 for first 2 weeks, but it's worth noting that it was 5 years ago and sales are lowering in recent years. And this level of sales still puts MF Ghost on par with, say, Yowamushi Pedal, pretty popular series adapted for anime as well as live action series.

Also, I think that these - popularity and sales - are the main reason why Shigeno is putting more and more Initial D references to MF Ghost. Wouldn't be surprised if some Takumi training flashback pops up, as was mentioned before by xiao. And AE86 will appear too I guess.

Still, even though the plot is mediocre, I am somehow glad that Shgeno is making racing manga again, after that romantic and baseball experiments.

user posted image

This post has been edited by StephanCTR on Mar 6 2018, 04:03 AM
Tessou
Posted: Mar 7 2018, 01:26 AM

Group Icon

It looks like that for book sales, but the weekly manga is doing poorly. Never makes the charts. Yowamushi Pedal typically hangs in the 10-20 rank in weekly sales.
xiao
  Posted: Mar 7 2018, 07:37 AM

moon bunny

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

MF Ghost Vol.1
Tessou
Posted: Mar 7 2018, 11:49 AM

Group Icon

Adding in some Initial D references to this series will not boost numbers significantly. It's doing worse in tankoubon sales than late ID volumes, and the weekly manga is not selling magazines in notable numbers.

To sell an artistic product, it needs to be compelling. MF GHOST is not that. The ship has sailed. I'm tired of reading opinions that it just has yet to blossom or needs a little push to make it big. It's nowhere close. It's doomed to be another obscure, mundane Shigeno series that dies young. He had one or two hits and a lot of misses.
xiao
Posted: Mar 7 2018, 10:57 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 12:49 PM)
To sell an artistic product, it needs to be compelling. MF GHOST is not that. The ship has sailed.

Yep ~ it's hard to strike gold twice in the manga world. I think what fans wanted was a direct sequel to Initial D ~ Initial D 2 ~ per se.

I think an anime a'la 4th Stage of MF Ghost can help boost popularity .. but we live in a different time .. kids like other things now. And MFG so far isn't compelling ~ right now ~ it doesn't have that pizzazz that Initial D had when it caught the world by storm. user posted image
Import_Lexus
Posted: Mar 12 2018, 11:08 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 22,550

He should just focus on Initial D. There is so many great characters that could have side stories!

Or, just remake all of Initial D in the Legend movie style and I'd be extremely happy biggrin.gif
mrmigs
Posted: Jul 29 2018, 09:15 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 34,020

QUOTE (Import_Lexus @ Mar 12 2018, 11:08 AM)
He should just focus on Initial D. There is so many great characters that could have side stories!

Or, just remake all of Initial D in the Legend movie style and I'd be extremely happy biggrin.gif

I'd be down for an itsuki extended side story lol
Felix79
Posted: Aug 21 2018, 06:31 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 41,134

MF Ghost goes into some of the events that happened past Initial D. I think he really should have follow their lives into the racing world, as 99% of fans would have loved that. I guess the author just wanted to to do something else and now he's having to add elements from Initial D, so MF Ghost doesn't get cancelled.

2 Pages  1 2