Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Wangan Midnight OST) Cold Strain

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 18,301  ·  Replies: 35 
> Post Limit for Schmucks
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 7 2013, 07:55 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Can we implement a feature that prevents new members (let's say, people within 30 days of joining) from pulling this shit all the time?

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 787 x 983. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Something that restricts posts-per-day to a reasonable number like 10?

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Jun 7 2013, 07:55 AM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 7 2013, 04:42 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

I dunno how to implement this in a way that wouldn't restrict legitimate discussion...without going to something insane like moderator approval. I mean, the difference between an active new member and a spamming new member is only the content they post, not necessarily how many posts they make in a 24-hour period. Restricting it to 10-posts-per-24-hours is way too restrictive in my opinion.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: Jun 7 2013, 04:59 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

Since this is a rare occurrence with new members, we handle it on a case by case basis. The forum itself cannot determine the merit of somebody's post, so we leave it to the moderating team to handle things when they discover them.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 7 2013, 05:43 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

I'm not talking about merit, but rather obvious cases of post-count-bumping. We currently don't have a line in the guideline about this phenomena. I think it needs to be a warnable offense. It doesn't even have to be a post limit like I suggested, but it definitely needs to be a warnable offense. I just had that idea pop into my head and wanted to start a conversation about this.
Perry
Posted: Jun 7 2013, 06:02 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Are you suggesting posting too much in a day regardless of the content a warnable offense? If that's not what you mean, I am confused. Spamming is a warnable offense and that covers this situation.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 7 2013, 06:09 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Perry @ 6 minutes, 26 seconds ago)
Are you suggesting posting too much in a day regardless of the content a warnable offense? If that's not what you mean, I am confused. Spamming is a warnable offense and that covers this situation.

Are you suggesting that joining and posting in 20 threads in a row just to bump up your post count just so you can access higher privileges quicker is not a problem? It doesn't matter if the posts are technically relevant to the topics - if the motive is just to inflate your post count, that's a problem.
Perry
Posted: Jun 7 2013, 06:39 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Uh.. how can you tell someone's motive? Like, how do you really know? If the content of the posts are relevant to the topics, then it's a go. This is a discussion forum, not a VIP guestbook. Discussion is encouraged so long as they are on-topic and contributive. Posting a lot in a short time with spammy content? That's consider spamming regardless of your join date.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 7 2013, 06:50 PM

Group Icon

Exactly. The content is all on-topic. While some people may see a deluge of posts as obnoxious and "post count buffing", there is nothing against it in the guidelines, so long as it's on-topic.

Besides, post count is meaningless. Don't treat it as some sort of currency or standard of seniority (more posts = more important member?), because such a concept does not exist here. So somebody's posting a lot. Isn't that a good thing? Is that not what the forum is meant for? Just because they're new doesn't explicitly mean they're up to no good. Sometimes they're just really excited to be part of things. smile.gif
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 7 2013, 07:02 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Perry @ 22 minutes, 7 seconds ago)
This is a discussion forum, not a VIP guestbook.

I could use this argument against you with the whole "post count minimum" for posting links, making requests in the music section and other such privileges (changing your member title, PM inbox size, etc.). Yes, some of it is designed to protect against spambots, but there's plenty of privilege given to members with 100+ post counts that isn't given to newbies, so I find it strange that you would mention "VIP club"s when we already have something like that to some extent.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 7 2013, 07:20 PM

Group Icon

That's not so much VIP as much as deterring lurkers. It only applies to the visibility of links, typically in the music section where filesharing is rampant, and recently in the Fifth Stage episode threads. We use the post count there as an enticement to be active in the community, and I mean actually being active and not just spamming.

The privileges granted by post count are not there to give members status. They are seen as trustworthy enough to enjoy what everybody brings to the site. They must put in their work before they can reap the rewards. It's not outlandish to have a standard that must be achieved before one can enjoy the benefits of "full membership" here. Any community has a similar structure.

Besides, the VIP Club would not translate to meaning that the members allowed in such an area are more important than others, just that they've fulfilled some condition(s) in order to have access. If we set the only condition as "a $5 donation", the notion of importance wavers considerably, because anybody could join. IDW is not about having exclusive, important privileges handed to people of a certain "class", because there is no class structure. From post 0 to post 50 billion+, you're a member and will be treated the same as everyone else. The privileges granted are essentially aesthetic bonuses to display that you are indeed an active member of IDW, and nothing more. They do not translate to being a VIP, some sort of untouchable member, or subject to preferential treatment in cases of rule violations.
Möbius
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 07:37 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Complaining about new members posting too much?

Stay classy, IDWF. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 15 2013, 08:32 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Möbius @ 54 minutes, 20 seconds ago)

Either you completely misunderstood what I was complaining about or you are purposely antagonizing for no good reason.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 10:53 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Möbius @ 3 hours, 15 minutes ago)

Yeah, because what we want are people who join and make three-word posts in 25 threads adding absolutely nothing to the community nor the individual topics just to pump their post count--assumably to download content from the Music forum or elsewhere.

That sounds like a strong, healthy community. rolleyes.gif We have nothing against new members 'posting too much'. What we're trying to curb are people who post just to post, not because they actually have anything to say.
Pikachu_Fragger
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 11:50 AM

Cock Blockula

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,803

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 57 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
Yeah, because what we want are people who join and make three-word posts in 25 threads adding absolutely nothing to the community nor the individual topics just to pump their post count--assumably to download content from the Music forum or elsewhere.

That sounds like a strong, healthy community. rolleyes.gif We have nothing against new members 'posting too much'. What we're trying to curb are people who post just to post, not because they actually have anything to say.

To be fair, that's what mods are supposed to be here for. We suspect something about a fellow member, we report it to the mods. The mods are then supposed to investigate and determine whether or not a member is posting relevant discussion or just spamming random crap that contributes nothing to the threads he or she is posting in, and then take appropriate action.

I can see where Kyon's coming from and I am all for curbing the ones who want to just fatten up their post count just for the sake of hitting the minimum required to download content, but at the same time the line can be too grey to determine whether or not that IS a member's intent. I wish I knew how you could apply it in an automatic fashion, but that's just a scenario for possibly making legitimate members less interested to post because their voices are stifled for having a low post count.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 15 2013, 02:08 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 3 hours, 9 minutes ago)
What we're trying to curb are people who post just to post, not because they actually have anything to say.

Apparently we're not trying anything because even asking to troubleshoot and solve this problem gets you met with opposition and remarks about how you'd be "killing the community".

QUOTE (Pikachu_Fragger @ 2 hours, 11 minutes ago)
To be fair, that's what mods are supposed to be here for. We suspect something about a fellow member, we report it to the mods. The mods are then supposed to investigate and determine whether or not a member is posting relevant discussion or just spamming random crap that contributes nothing to the threads he or she is posting in, and then take appropriate action.

The problem with that is, most of the time, it's impossible to act fast enough until suddenly you have a forum filled with 25 new posts and all of them by the same member that joined 10 minutes prior. Another problem is, as you said, it's hard to tell what a new member's intention is when posting. That is, until it's too late and they've racked up tons of "inflation" posts.
Tessou
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 02:41 PM

Group Icon

Fun fact : admins can easily change a member's post count if they're found to be spamming threads. We've never done it, but it is possible.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Perry
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 03:05 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Another fun fact, none of these offenders have actually gotten the download links. None. The requirement is a secret. It's not 25, and it's not 50. And if somehow you manage to spam to the required post count, you STILL can't see the download links because there's an additional time constraint which is also not talked about.

So if you intent to join the forums just to spam your way to get the hidden content, you'll most likely fail. So it boils down to this, there's an incentive for people to post more. It's up to the moderating team and the rest of the forums to report these spammers should they encounter them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Tessou
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 03:13 PM

Group Icon

Mhm. Everything works as it is. Mods keep doing what you're doing, and don't be taken aback by opposing views. It's not the end of the world. Suggestions are suggestions, and you're never going to get unanimous support for something.

By the way, in case none of you noticed, the guy that caused this thread to come into existence has not continued their supposed rampage of thread bombing, either.
Perry
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 05:09 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 55 minutes ago)
By the way, in case none of you noticed, the guy that caused this thread to come into existence has not continued their supposed rampage of thread bombing, either.

Most of them give up eventually once they realize post count is not the only requirement. Meanwhile, even though some of his posts were pretty pointless, they did sparked several ongoing discussions. I think the good outweigh the bad in this case. happy.gif
Takahashi Rensuki
Posted: Jun 16 2013, 07:53 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 40,927

QUOTE (Perry @ Yesterday, 3:05 PM)
Another fun fact, none of these offenders have actually gotten the download links. None. The requirement is a secret. It's not 25, and it's not 50. And if somehow you manage to spam to the required post count, you STILL can't see the download links because there's an additional time constraint which is also not talked about.

Isn't there a condition where you have to be a member for 6 months or more as well and then the links over time appear for those users as well. Unless I have it wrong. ermm2.gif
Smikey
Posted: Jun 16 2013, 01:24 PM

dafuq
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MAYOR
Member No.: 14,329

QUOTE (Perry @ Yesterday, 4:05 PM)

So, what are we talking about then? tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Kurara
Posted: Jun 17 2013, 07:27 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 41,171

I think the issue here is not post-count but 'relevancy'
Regardless of the post-count if a new member is posting a
bunch of irrelevant replies then he/she should get a warning.

Post-count is simply a by-product of posting~~~~
A new member wants more post count so he posts more!
When a new member is more concerned about posting more...
The quality of his content gets less notice.. And if a person is much
too concerned about his or her post count to the point where his or her
content gets almost 0 attention... Then... we have an irrelevancy spammer!!

Ahhhhh... Logic. ♥

QUOTE (Nomake Wan)
What we're trying to curb are people who post just to post, not because they actually have anything to say.

Ah! that would be a member like me ^^. (OYO... since when did I reach 100 posts??!)

This post has been edited by Kurara on Jun 17 2013, 07:33 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 17 2013, 08:26 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Kurara @ 59 minutes, 16 seconds ago)
Ah! that would be a member like me ^^.

You post just to post? blink.gif You don't have any thoughts of your own? I think the rest of your post would disagree. tongue.gif
TheLittleHachiThatCo..
Posted: Oct 6 2013, 01:13 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 42,152

Why not unblock conent

HIDDEN CONTENT ( You have not contributed enough to see the content )

Like these, cause because many joined and post alot to get rid of these
kyonpalm
  Posted: Oct 6 2013, 01:45 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (TheLittleHachiThatCould @ 32 minutes, 5 seconds ago)
Why not unblock conent

HIDDEN CONTENT ( You have not contributed enough to see the content )

Like these, cause because many joined and post alot to get rid of these

The reason certain content is blocked to begin with is because we've had problems with people joining just to get at download links around the forums without planning to contribute to discussions or do anything a normal message board member would do.

2 Pages  1 2