Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Free ZION

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,414  ·  Replies: 7 
> Can I connect consoles to Pc Lcd Monitor
Kelvin
  Posted: Jan 1 2011, 12:51 AM

!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 24,344

Is it possible to connect consoles (ps2 and wii) to standard lcd monitor design for PC use? What ports do I look out for?

i think that would be a cheap replacement for LcD Tvs.
APX
Posted: Jan 1 2011, 01:05 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Not from what I can see, no.

But a xbox 360, that's different.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 1 2011, 01:49 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Kelvin @ 57 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
Is it possible to connect consoles (ps2 and wii) to standard lcd monitor design for PC use? What ports do I look out for?

i think that would be a cheap replacement for LcD Tvs.

Unfortunately, you named two Standard Definition consoles with no digital output of any kind. Your computer monitor is a digital device. There is no cable or adapter you can buy which will allow you to do what you want.

What you need is a TV Box. It's a device that turns analog signals (cable TV, composite, component, S-video, etc) into digital signals (VGA). I have one. It works decently.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
SuperMazdaKart
Posted: Jan 1 2011, 03:23 AM

Button-masher

Member No.: 242

Ideally component video to VGA (or to DVI/HDMI if this LCD supports that). The Wii can do 480P progressive scan so a deinterlacing chip might not be needed for that one provided you have the know how to adapt the connector plugs yourself, which you won't since you had to ask.

Once thats all done, you'll also need to figure out what to do for sound. If the monitor doesn't have it's own built-in speakers then you'll want a composite audio to stereo min plug adaptor most likely (unless using the single built-in speaker of the adaptor box). PS2 has an optional optical audio output, Wii doesn't.

Bang for buck component to VGA adaptor seems to be the High-Box model easily found on eBay http://www.gamemanx.com/review-high-box-co...i-platform/907/

I use a Digitech XC-4873 myself which is an awesome kit. Supports s-video/component/composite & has a really good deinterlacing chip with no noticable video lagging. Has even been able to adapt VHS to VGA too despite not actually being advertised to do that. Is expensive though, over here it's about AUD $110. I got mine for $40 on eBay & looks like it was only used once too. Lucked in big time.

user posted image
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 1 2011, 06:34 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

For reference, I use the K-World TV Box HD. Was relatively inexpensive and does what I need it to. The only problem I've had with it is that it doesn't support 480P over component (so no using component cables with PS2 or Wii). I've tried calling them about it but their support is useless. Apparently they only designed the component inputs to support HD content. I just use S-Video instead and it works great.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Kelvin
  Posted: Jan 2 2011, 01:20 AM

!

Member No.: 24,344

wow its more complicated than i expect. Guess its better to save up for a tv. Thanks guys.
MetalMan777
Posted: Jan 2 2011, 01:27 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I bought an LCD monitor with HDMI, DVI, VGA, and component inputs. I have my computer, ps3 and formerly my original xbox plugged in. It's a pretty nice setup. I toyed with the idea of a converter box, but this monitor just showed up on newegg one day, so I splurged.
SuperMazdaKart
Posted: Jan 2 2011, 01:53 AM

Button-masher

Member No.: 242

It's not really complicated, but a big TV is better to play games on then a smaller typical PC monitor.

I don't really use mine at home, bought for cosplay club purposes so we can game on the University's wall projectors. They setup to only take input from VGA only.. They thought they could stop but nope biggrin.gif