Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Natsuki no Ketsui

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

8 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 30,114  ·  Replies: 182 
> The Motorbike Discussion Thread!
Bubs
  Posted: Jul 8 2009, 05:24 AM

Plep

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,079

QUOTE (JZX100 @ 8 hours, 22 minutes ago)
What if someone you loved died, huh?

I probably shouldn't drag this along, and it's probably in poor taste, but I think you may have missed what he meant. It's because of the way you worded the sentence: "losing a father is like losing something important."

Well, glad to hear that he made it out alright. Allstate wanted to charge you guys if there was nothing damaged under the bike's skin? Got to love insurance companies. dry.gif
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Jul 8 2009, 05:46 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

QUOTE (Bubs @ 21 minutes, 57 seconds ago)
I probably shouldn't drag this along, and it's probably in poor taste, but I think you may have missed what he meant. It's because of the way you worded the sentence: "losing a father is like losing something important."

Well, glad to hear that he made it out alright. Allstate wanted to charge you guys if there was nothing damaged under the bike's skin? Got to love insurance companies. dry.gif

I saw it too, and wanted to say something along the lines of what Alex did, but I had better judgement.

None-the-less

Losing a father is not like losing something important.

A father IS important.
Bubs
  Posted: Jul 8 2009, 05:59 AM

Plep

^ I didn't get on him about it because I knew he didn't literally mean that, it's just ow it got written. wink2.gif

I'm going to try and steer this back on topic. Oh, look! A bike!
user posted image

This post has been edited by Bubs on Jul 8 2009, 06:00 AM
Bubs
  Posted: Apr 1 2010, 10:46 AM

Plep

This thread needs to come back now that spring's here!

Finally got my 125 registered since the weather will finally be nice for more than a single day. Filled it up with fresh gas and opened it up! Took it on a good trail ride as well. cool.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

Also going to have the H1 500 Triple back this year with a fresh new motor. w00t2.gif

user posted image
Kiroshino
Posted: Apr 1 2010, 04:09 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

Nice. biggrin.gif

Closest thing I have is a 1970's Sachs moped. Currently not running, but I'm considering fixing it up. Would require all new parts (fuel/oil filter, lines, etc.) and probably an engine rebuild if not a very thorough cleaning. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have much use for it.

Have an opportunity to pick up a free, low mileage 250cc Suzuki motorcycle. All I know is that it wouldn't shift right after it was dropped. Not sure if I'll go for it or not since my parents wouldn't allow me to ride it. dry.gif

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Apr 1 2010, 05:23 PM
Möbius
Posted: Apr 3 2010, 06:14 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ Apr 1 2010, 07:09 PM)
Nice. biggrin.gif

Closest thing I have is a 1970's Sachs moped. Currently not running, but I'm considering fixing it up. Would require all new parts (fuel/oil filter, lines, etc.) and probably an engine rebuild if not a very thorough cleaning. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have much use for it.

Have an opportunity to pick up a free, low mileage 250cc Suzuki motorcycle. All I know is that it wouldn't shift right after it was dropped. Not sure if I'll go for it or not since my parents wouldn't allow me to ride it. dry.gif

1. Buy bike.
2. Use said bike to run away from home. tongue.gif

( j/k of course wink2.gif )
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
mdb
Posted: Apr 7 2010, 04:44 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,520

Same bike that I've had all these years, but I've been working on it continously, and here is the final result smile.gif Just did the paint scheme a few weeks ago using the Duplicolor paint line from Autozone. Turned out MUCH better then I was expecting lol smile.gif

My 1998 Honda Superhawk (again):

CBR 929 front end / brakes / fender
CBR 1000RR Dash / Gauges
OZ HL-02 wheels (for the RC-51)
Honda VFR gas tank (adds 1.6 gallons over stock!)
Suzuki Hayabusa controls (both clipons, more switches, handlebar choke!)
Bar end mirros / block off plates
K&N Filter
Yamaha R6 Regulator / Rectifier
HID headlight
Carbon Fiber Two Bros exhaust
Complete undertail with integrated turn signals
LED Brake / Tail light
APE CCT's
Speedo Healer

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

There were some other mods that I can't recall at the moment, but all together I couldn't be happier with it. Its the perfect bike for me smile.gif
Alex
Posted: Apr 7 2010, 05:40 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

I am reeeeally digging your bike man, and major kudos for the project. I'm really impressed.
Twizted
Posted: Apr 8 2010, 03:31 AM

The Politix of Racing™

Member No.: 33,744

Nice bikes!

I'm also a biker and a bike enthusiast. I also LOVE WSBK and MotoGP!!

Looking forward to bike discussions with you guys in this thread!

Power to the bikers! cool.gif
mdb
Posted: Apr 8 2010, 05:32 PM

IDW Regular Member

Thanks! Was a really fun project, just have a little jetting to do and it'll be 100%.

Since its bikes I can't forget the kid's new set of wheels (birthday was a week or so ago). Really cool, two stroke 49CC pocket bike. We'll add a touch of orange later so it matches up with Force India's colors lol wink2.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Goes pretty quick with me on it, scoots right along with him!
Dr.Ift
Posted: Apr 8 2010, 09:47 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 6,105

That's a really nice CBR you got there,mdb.

I'm trying to sell my RS125,because I'm probably moving to Japan next year,where I plan to get a TL1000S,if I don't get a car.
I'm thinking of using the F650GS Dakar,until I go there,which we already have in house.
user posted image
user posted image
Phantom_R32
Posted: Apr 8 2010, 10:07 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

So I'm thinking about getting a bike this summer. I'm curious as to which are good bikes. I've been looking at GSX-R's. Especially this one below

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 532. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

The only thing I'm kinda clueless about is the miles. Is 18k high for a bike? How long do they usually last?

Here's the details the dude put up

2001 GSX-R 600
18,693 miles
Yellow with black accents.
Newer chain and sprockets.
New NGK plugs
Just put Woodcraft frame sliders and rear spools.
Also put two new CT2 tires on it, less than 1000 miles on them.
Muzzy exhaust.

He wants $3400 for it. But he will take $3000 cash in hand, since he needs money for school.

Should I take him up on this offer? Or should I wait and find one with lower miles? I have about $8700 to work with.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Apr 8 2010, 10:13 PM
Möbius
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 06:35 AM

IDW Top Poster

Most people will recommend not to go with a 600 for first bike. Also, I think 18K is a bit high for bikes, does it come with service history?
Twizted
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 07:37 AM

The Politix of Racing™

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ 1 hour, 1 minutes ago)
Most people will recommend not to go with a 600 for first bike. Also, I think 18K is a bit high for bikes, does it come with service history?

Very True.

600s are NOT good beginner bikes.

I would advice starting off with a 125cc (small and light).
Then after gaining experience one could move onto a 400cc bike (much more powerful and heavier, but still a lot less than a 600cc).
After gaining much more experience with the 400cc, that's the time to jump onto a 600cc bike.

From 600cc one must gain more experience still before jumping onto 800cc and 1000cc.
Dr.Ift
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 07:50 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 6,105

Well,600cc Supersport bikes are not suited for beginners,as everybody says,but there are bikes which have less power and slower throttle response.
For example,the
-Yamaha XJ6 or XJ6 Diversion.
-Kawasaki ER6N or F.
or the Honda CBF500-600
should do OK.

And saying to yourself that you will ride your 600cc supersport bike slowly would be lying to yourself,because you simply can't,it's just too tempting to have all that power under a twist of your hand.What is even more important,you should put your money on the best gear,then look for a bike with what's remaining.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 07:54 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Dr.Ift @ 3 minutes, 54 seconds ago)
Well,600cc Supersport bikes are not suited for beginners,as everybody says,but there are bikes which have less power and slower throttle response.
For example,the
-Yamaha XJ6 or XJ6 Diversion.
-Kawasaki ER6N or F.
or the Honda CBF500-600
should do OK.

And saying to yourself that you will ride your 600cc supersport bike slowly would be lying to yourself,because you simply can't,it's just too tempting to have all that power under a twist of your hand.What is even more important,you should put your money on the best gear,then look for a bike with what's remaining.

That sounds like good advice, especially that last bit. smile.gif
Twizted
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 08:34 AM

The Politix of Racing™

When I was biking I actually spent more money on Safety Gears than the actual Bike itself.

Stuffs like helmet, back protector, knee and elbow pads, riding jacket and pants...

It's a good thing.

Safety is much more important than the Bike.
It's useless to have a cool bike if you're dead.

You could cut costs on the bike, but not on your safety gears.
That is the prime advice I would give. Always spend on the best safety gears (they're expensive, but in the event of a road accident that may be the difference between life and death).

Also, riding a smaller bike like a 125cc or 250cc doesn't mean you are much safer. Remember it takes two to tanggo.
You may have your bike under control, but if there are dangerous drivers on the road, you're still vulnerable. For example drunk drivers may ram their cars into you unexpectedly if you don't watch out. It's happened to me once. I was riding home late, and a Mitsubishi Pajero (imagine how big that 4x4 vehicle is) just came out of nowhere and sideswiped me. It broke a couple of my bones and I was confined in the hospital for days. Luckily I was equipped with complete safety gears and so the damage was minimized. Otherwise I would have been dead, seriously.
Phantom_R32
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 10:24 AM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Thanks for the advice guys.

I rode a Ninja 250r before. My friend let me take it for a quick ride around his neighborhood. I was able to handle it pretty well, and had no problem stopping it from 50 mph.

So I'll start checking out bikes around that size. And for sure I'll get good gear. After all the horror stories I've heard about crashes and pics I've seen on here. *remembers the pic of the guy who went flying through the air and landed ass first on a fence post*. So yeah, safety is my main priority. laugh.gif
Weezy
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 01:32 PM

O RLY? YA RLY.

Member No.: 27,481

01 with 18,693 miles is not high. With a good service record it will run like a champ to 50k miles and beyond.

There are people that start out on 600+cc and are doing fine but most won't last a season. It is logical to start smaller and go up.
Check out the 08 and newer ninja 250, pretty slick for a beginner ride. Forgiving to mistakes, nimble, and high mpg. The 0-60 with good shifts is less than 6sec so that's like 350z speed.
If you decide to move on to a faster bike, the 250 will be easy to resell since it's a popular beginning bike.

Pro 250 rider > amateur 600 rider on the twisties and track.

This post has been edited by Weezy on Apr 9 2010, 01:36 PM
mdb
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 02:11 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Dr.Ift @ Yesterday, 9:47 PM)
That's a really nice CBR you got there,mdb.

I'm trying to sell my RS125,because I'm probably moving to Japan next year,where I plan to get a TL1000S,if I don't get a car.
I'm thinking of using the F650GS Dakar,until I go there,which we already have in house.

Nice 125! I've been looking through the local listings here for one for quite awhile hoping a good deal comes up, to bad you aren't state side! My favorite bikes are the small, light weight manuverable ones with small displacement enginges you can really flog on. Little two strokes are fairly rare here!
Möbius
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 04:30 PM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ 6 hours, 6 minutes ago)

I rode a Ninja 250r before. My friend let me take it for a quick ride around his neighborhood. I was able to handle it pretty well, and had no problem stopping it from 50 mph.

So I'll start checking out bikes around that size. And for sure I'll get good gear. After all the horror stories I've heard about crashes and pics I've seen on here. *remembers the pic of the guy who went flying through the air and landed ass first on a fence post*. So yeah, safety is my main priority. laugh.gif

The 250R is probably the most recommended beginner bike. I was looking at one myself... wink2.gif
Alex
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 08:06 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ 9 hours, 42 minutes ago)

I've test ridden a 250R too and loved it, but sometimes it pays to shop for a first bike knowing you'll grow out of it, and that's where the 500 comes in. It's still not the wildhorse a 600 is, and it's probably the #2 most recommended beginner next to the 250. Not to mention it won't be howling the entire time while you're just keeping with traffic flow should you make your way onto any highways.

Apex, for some reason I imagine you being fairly tall, and probably a little oversized for the 250 anyway. I'm 5'10 with a 30" inseam and can walk a 600 flatfooted without much, if any trouble. 500 would definitely be your beginner.
Twizted
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 11:27 PM

The Politix of Racing™

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ Today, 10:24 AM)

And oh... make sure the helmet you buy is both DOT and SNELL certified (so it could withstand tremendous crash impact).

Helmets with only the DOT certification are good enough, but SNELL certification is much more preferable. Most European race helmets are both DOT and SNELL certified.

When you have spare bucks after buying all required safety gears, do upgrade your stock tires too. That would add another level up on your safety. Stock tires that come with bikes are good, but you always wanna go that extra step by buying something with even more grip.

Lastly, add "reflective stickers" on your bike if you could get them (its those stickers that glow at night like the ones you see on Police cars and Ambulance).
Headlights and taillights on bikes are a lot smaller than on cars. So you are always less visible on the roads as compared to cars, especially when at night. You would want to be more visible to be safer from other vehicles.

wink2.gif
MattW
Posted: Apr 9 2010, 11:48 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Twizted @ 21 minutes, 40 seconds ago)
And oh... make sure the helmet you buy is both DOT and SNELL certified (so it could withstand tremendous crash impact).

Helmets with only the DOT certification are good enough, but SNELL certification is much more preferable. Most European race helmets are both DOT and SNELL certified.

When you have spare bucks after buying all required safety gears, do upgrade your stock tires too. That would add another level up on your safety. Stock tires that come with bikes are good, but you always wanna go that extra step by buying something with even more grip.

Lastly, add "reflective stickers" on your bike if you could get them (its those stickers that glow at night like the ones you see on Police cars and Ambulance).
Headlights and taillights on bikes are a lot smaller than on cars. So you are always less visible on the roads as compared to cars, especially when at night. You would want to be more visible to be safer from other vehicles.

wink2.gif

If you're having a crash with "tremendous impact" on a bike, chances are you're not coming out of it alive.
Twizted
Posted: Apr 10 2010, 12:01 AM

The Politix of Racing™

QUOTE (MattW @ 12 minutes, 16 seconds ago)
If you're having a crash with "tremendous impact" on a bike, chances are you're not coming out of it alive.

If you are not equipped you will surely die, yes.

But if you are fully-equipped, you would likely still be hospitalized, but at least with a chance of survival.

If you're into professional motorcycle racing -- sometimes you accidentally crash (like tremendous impact to the wall at high speeds and etc) and many times you come out alive. Of course you still sustain a degree of injury from the impacts and may have to be hospitalized, but then it does not really get to the point of death except on very rare occasions.

The added layer of protection provided by the safety gears really makes that extra difference.

8 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 »