Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Chilu - Feel Like a Queen

42 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 158,911  ·  Replies: 1,033 
> Stick shift, is it hard?
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 09:34 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,441

I've driven a manaul on and off for awhile, and I was wondering... Is there any easy way to do the toe-to-heel with the gas and brake pedal? My feet are so small I can barely get one foot on both, and I hate using the clutch to hold the car on a uphill start.
sideways
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 09:35 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

Your feet are too small?... ive never heard of that as being a problem, ever... its always feet are too big
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 09:57 PM

IDW Regular Member

yes, I'm barely 5 feet tall, half okinawan. and am told, "d@mn! you have some small" of course, I get asked often if I need a phonebook while driving.

Anyway... Maybe people with small feet don't drive manuals.
sideways
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 10:04 PM

So if you have the toes of your right foot on the brakes, your right heel cant reach the gas?
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 10:36 PM

IDW Regular Member

Yup, and if I can, my heel usually just slips right off when I press down, or my toe.
sideways
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 10:39 PM

What size shoe do you wear huh.gif
Mike
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 05:53 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 2,434

I was going to say man, how small are your feet, I'm 5'7 an thats pretty damn small for a 19 year old English fello, have feet that seem to vary between about a 7 and an 8. But i manage to heel and toe any car i get my hands on in size 7 converse and thats with lots of room to spare in most cars. Only car i cant heel and toe is dads car (god damn organ pedal accelerator). So i dont think your size should be a problem really, just practice with the car shut off in your driveway. If you still cant manage, get yourself down to a parts selling place and find some big ass pedals. Im sure they must sell em, probably in a nice chromo so all the ricer boi's get a nice shine from their foot well. But seriously though, if you really want to do it, theres only really two solutions, one bigger pedals (i was being serious smile.gif they do actually make pedals bigger than some stock, might be had to find) or u can try the other method of heel and toe, which aint really 'heel and toe' its more knife and edge or some shitniz ive heard it called, it may work in your car i dont know, what you do is place your right foot in between the brake and accelerator pedal, from there you apply pressure with either side of your foot, apparently its meant to be easier than standard heel and toe but i elarnt to heel and toe from day one and this method just scares the beejesus out of me, but it mite help you along. If not post here and im sure someone will have some crazy solution.
sideways
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 11:48 AM

If he cant reach the pedal from top to bottom of his foot, i doubt using the side of his feet (shorter) is going to work too well. Thats a technique used by people who have overly big feet and cant heel-toe properly, its great when theres a lackage of room.

But the pedal thing ill agree with and was going to suggest is myself. Momo (or any knock of brand) makes giant square pedals, those might help becaise theyre much wider then stock pedals. Just go to an autozone and check out their pedals they tend to carry quit a few.

One last thing to think about is the car layout; what car are you trying to do this in? Some cars seem to be built for "heel toe" and have the pedals perfectly spaced, others are way too far or simply too close together to be done properly for most (some have the brake RIGHT next to the gas).
Mike
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 12:06 PM

IDW Member

If he cant reach the pedal from top to bottom of his foot, i doubt using the side of his feet (shorter) is going to work too well.

You never know could have really shotr and fat feet (note im not trying to be insulting now, just cover up my own stupidity happy.gif ) But yeah, I would have suggestd a shop, but all we got is halfords, form sounds of it autozone is like the exact same type of shop, except along with all your 'riceicle' needs in halfords you can also buy bmx bikes lol anyway hope the pedal thing kinda answers your question.
sideways
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 12:33 PM

AUtozone is basicly a wannabe-ricers heaven. granted they have some thigns you can use, clutches, oil, wiring, etc... but they have lots of shift knobs neon lights steering-wheel covers racing seat covers gay pedals little lights that fit on the window-sprayers.. etc...

wall mart has stuff like that now too so you can always check them

that remidns me.. i need to get some new windshield wipers..
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 04:38 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Mike @ Nov 26 2004, 12:06 PM)
If he cant reach the pedal from top to bottom of his foot, i doubt using the side of his feet (shorter) is going to work too well.

You never know could have really shotr and fat feet (note im not trying to be insulting now, just cover up my own stupidity happy.gif ) But yeah, I would have suggestd a shop, but all we got is halfords, form sounds of it autozone is like the exact same type of shop, except along with all your 'riceicle' needs in halfords you can also buy bmx bikes lol anyway hope the pedal thing kinda answers your question.

I'm a she actually. And yes, I do have really short and fat feet. tongue.gif the width of my feet are a female's size 7 (men's size 5) and the length is a female's size 5 (men's size 3).

I'm trying this now in a 91 celica. I orginally learned to drive a stick in a mazda truck, with a bad clutch.

My husband replaced the pedals with some cheap wal-mart ones that didn't make them much wider. I'll try autozone. Thanks guys.
sideways
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 06:21 PM

Kinda suspected u were a girl when u said u were 5 foot and your 20+ didnt wanna offend u if u were a ugy though.

Well your best bet is to get some aftermarket pedals, as i said momo makes osme pretty fat block style pedals which whould probably help you out.
Indecisive
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 06:35 PM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

yep...a set of even cheapo $15 pedals will help you out. they're generally wider. stock there was a few inches between my stock pedals. with my momo pedals, only about an inch.

Mike
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 05:24 AM

IDW Member

apologies on the mix-up, me being a typical idiot lol. The whole shoe size measurement confused me lol, ive never heard of feet being measured in width and legnth, and also women have seperate sizes??? In england women just tend to fit into kids sizes (below uk 6) and most 'posh' going out shoes like stilettos etc are just made in that size, aint it great how im in a topic about changing gears on a manual car yet babbling about shoe sizes. Sa well. Hope you get it sorted, and if u cant find any pedals, go DIY!!, get the weldin kit out lol.
Alex
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 11:12 AM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (prissandthehighwaystar @ Nov 26 2004, 07:38 PM)
My husband replaced the pedals with some cheap wal-mart ones that didn't make them much wider. I'll try autozone. Thanks guys.

ohh!! Are they the ones that clip on? haha.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 02:31 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (eightsixdrifter9 @ Nov 27 2004, 11:12 AM)
ohh!! Are they the ones that clip on? haha.

Could be for all I know blink.gif I wasn't paying attention.
SuperWhite92
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 03:06 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 4,145

You'll still have a difficult time in the Celica. Being a 5th gen owner, I will tell you that the pedals were not intended to be able to heel toe. I myself wear a Men's size 12, and can reach from pedal to pedal, but the gas pedal is sunk waaay down from the brake pedal. Not to mention its basically touching the center console. I can't do it in my normal shoes, only my piloti's. Anyhow, keep practicing, and you'll find a way, no matter how uncomfortable it is.
Alex
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 04:09 PM

OG Member

Yeah I've always hated the difference in elevation of a lot of pedals. I've never done real heel-toe but I've played around in the car while it was parked.
Bunkka XL
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 04:31 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 4,433

is it me or is turning on the car and getting of the start the hardest ina stick car
Alex
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 05:13 PM

OG Member

uhhhh for turning it on, don't you just press in the clutch, turn the ignition? lol.
sideways
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 05:38 PM

Pretty much...

Getting going into first is the hardest part if thats what he meant
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Nov 27 2004, 06:04 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (SuperWhite92 @ Nov 27 2004, 03:06 PM)
You'll still have a difficult time in the Celica. Being a 5th gen owner, I will tell you that the pedals were not intended to be able to heel toe. I myself wear a Men's size 12, and can reach from pedal to pedal, but the gas pedal is sunk waaay down from the brake pedal. Not to mention its basically touching the center console. I can't do it in my normal shoes, only my piloti's. Anyhow, keep practicing, and you'll find a way, no matter how uncomfortable it is.

Thanks, it actually helps to know that my car wasn't really meant for the heel to toe. Now I won't get too fustrated when it doesn't come easily.
Mike
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 06:03 AM

IDW Member

is it me or is turning on the car and getting of the start the hardest ina stick car

Hmmm, can be dangerous, as was said, you just bung clutch down and turn the key, but you 'only' need clutch down if the car has been left in gear. However its a good habit to be in. Everytime i start my car i always have the clutch in, however the one time i didnt do it, was the one time my dad had moved it to a different place in the drive without me knowing, left it in gear and the car flew forward and nearly pinned my brother rite up against the back of his car lol! Never been so scared in my life, we were just chattin shit as we both went to are cars which were one behind the other in the drive, i leaned in car still talkin and just started engine up without being in car, car lunges forward and nearly crushed him ohmy.gif It just goes to show, when a car is in a flat driveway, leaving it in first is not needed!!

(Incase some dont know, if its started up lke that it onyl lunges a few feet forward because it essentially stalls instantly, just hops a few feet forward, just enough to freak me and my brother though, so these days i ahve to be sat in my seat before i'll start the damn thing)

Maybe we should create a little step by step guide to starting and getting a manual car moving lol, mite be a nice help to kids who havent started learning yet and anyone who is only used to automatics, coz i assume if youve only ever been exposed to auto's, there seems to be a hell of a lot going on!
RakeRon
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 10:02 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 2,887

I got in the habit of holding the clutch in because my car wouldn't start without it. Guess it was a safety kill switch, but I made it a habit to always do that and put it into neutral when I put it into park (wich also needed to be done since my car didn't have a hand ebrake it would stall out if I didn't put it in neutral).
Mike
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 03:15 PM

IDW Member

Sorry rakeron your post has utterly confused me. WHy havent you got a handbrake, it just broke?? Secondly if the car is in neutral it will start without the clutch. Also, if you have no handbrake yet leave it in neutral, how do yuo park on anything other thana flat surface without rolling anywhere lol, u got breeze blocks in your booth for behind the tyres lol

42 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 »