Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 14 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Space Boy

Automotive Section Rules
Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 1,800  ·  Replies: 24 
> Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, *insert speechless silence*
Rudy
  Posted: Aug 30 2010, 10:53 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 31 2010, 02:59 AM

Snooping as usual

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 32,588

It still looks ugly, it's still a toy for the uber rich and uber tasteless. If I had that much cash, there's no way in hell I wouldn't have my own custom car designed specifically for me. I'm thinking Perrari P4/P5 sort of stuff. The only people who buy bugattis are people with no imagination.

But what does it matter, nobody I'll ever talk to will ever own one.
JEV
Posted: Aug 31 2010, 08:27 AM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,661

GT-R VS Bugatti Veyron <--- Link to Vid

Funny part after this was released (video) not shortly after did Bugatti release the Super Sport.

Watch you'll be as surprised as i was.

Lets just say 1st run ain't nothing compared to the 2nd run.

Wonder how much Horsepower that GT-R is putting down.

They refined the rear to make it more smoother, upped the top speed by think it was 15mph and increased HP.

and that made the SS.

This post has been edited by JEV on Aug 31 2010, 08:32 AM
kazahana
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 05:03 AM

IDW's Resident Yoyoer

Member No.: 21,778

That thing ran 268mph from what I read on Top Gear? I wonder what's next...?
lawler
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 07:29 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 33,509

The bugatti veyron had its 15min of fame now they bring out a super sports which still isnt fast enough to take back the title of the quickest production car

Bugatti=fail
Jardim
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 07:46 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

Ugly ass pig that can go fast on a straight but can't really hang with cars that cost 1/8 of the price around corners is a fail from the begining. Now the Ferrari F40, a car that once held the fastest production car title can school others on a track with it's superior handling.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 08:03 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (Jardim @ 16 minutes, 37 seconds ago)
Ugly ass pig that can go fast on a straight but can't really hang with cars that cost 1/8 of the price around corners is a fail from the begining. Now the Ferrari F40, a car that once held the fastest production car title can school others on a track with it's superior handling.

Well... it DOES have the fastest lap time on Top Gear out of all production cars, if you want to take it there.
chillined
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 08:30 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 27 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
Well... it DOES have the fastest lap time on Top Gear out of all production cars, if you want to take it there.

Indeed it does. The Bugatti SS is definitely a very technologically advanced car. Oh, and expensive, how does 1.6 million pounds sound...
MattW
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 08:56 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (lawler @ 1 hour, 27 minutes ago)
The bugatti veyron had its 15min of fame now they bring out a super sports which still isnt fast enough to take back the title of the quickest production car

Bugatti=fail

Uhhh yeah it does. 271mph, iirc.
Shirogane
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 08:57 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (MattW @ 1 minute, 30 seconds ago)

Damn it, Matt, you beat me to the punch.

At least it wasn't done by Capt. Slow... Otherwise..
Ayako Watanabe
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 03:38 AM

Living In A Amish Paradise

Member No.: 2,415

QUOTE (Ken Nōgami @ 6 hours, 40 minutes ago)

I wonder how far can they go till eventually they hit the 300 mark on a production vehicle?
lawler
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 03:56 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 33,509

QUOTE (MattW @ 7 hours, 0 minutes ago)

Yeah my bad the whole 5 of the ss they are building are quicker than the aero tt
Fast
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 12:22 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

Bugatti really hit a homerun with the SS, it's what the Veyron should have been from the beginning. I was very surprised to see it top the Top Gear power lap board.

QUOTE (lawler @ 8 hours, 21 minutes ago)
Yeah my bad the whole 5 of the ss they are building are quicker than the aero tt

No offense but I don't understand what you just said.

MattW
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 12:25 PM

VOLVO For Life.

QUOTE (lawler @ 8 hours, 29 minutes ago)

Doesn't matter if they built 5 or 5 million, it's still a production vehicle.
MetalMan777
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 02:04 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (MattW @ 1 hour, 38 minutes ago)
Doesn't matter if they built 5 or 5 million, it's still a production vehicle.

Then why does the "production" part matter? They produced a few Chaparrals, does that make them production vehicles? They made a BMW M8, well, they made most of a BMW M8. And that wasn't used as a concept so much as a testbed, does that make it a production vehicle?

How about the Dallara Chassis they run in IRL, those are produced on a similar scale to the Veryrons. I have no doubt those would be faster in any race, in any conditions.
Fast
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 02:26 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

There will be more than 5 made, it's just that the first 5 are already sold. Bugatti has yet to state the total number of SS Veyrons to be made.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 03:43 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Ayako Watanabe @ Today, 4:38 AM)
I wonder how far can they go till eventually they hit the 300 mark on a production vehicle?

It'll still be a while. Just think of how long it took for the McLaren F1's 240.1 mph to be challenged. Not even Ferrari could do it with the Enzo with more hp and a seventh gear... not to mention the financial support and guaranteed sales that McLaren never could've had.

I don't even want to think about how difficult it would be to engineer a production vehicle that could reach 300 mph. The Veyron already had enough of a hard time during its development. To reach a speed like 300 mph, you can't just keep throwing hp at it (though of course it's part of the equation). Its tires made specifically for top speed runs already barely handle its own top speed, so to engineer proper tires is going to take more work for a road car.

You'd have to drastically change the shape of the Veyron (assuming you're not just going to give it 2,000 hp) since aerodynamics is definitely going to be a huge hurdle. (For example, when Gordon Murray wrote an article about what he thought of the Veyron, he was saying that for the F1 to have hit the Veyron's top speed of 253 mph, it could've been done with much less than 1,001, thanks to the more aerodynamic design of the F1.) If you look at a lot of the cars that can do 300 mph, a lot of them are going to be the custom cars shaped like missiles... which you can't use for a road car.

I'd say that Gordon Murray could design something that could hit 300 mph, given the budget and the resources. Plus it would still look classy.
MetalMan777
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 07:30 PM

Snooping as usual

I'd say Gordon Murray could design a 300 mph car that would look awesome if he had even half the resources they put into the Veyron.
peemyTNBow
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 12:38 AM

Unregistered

Could have, should have, would have. Didn't do it, so no one cares.
kazahana
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 07:14 AM

IDW's Resident Yoyoer

Member No.: 21,778

QUOTE (Ken Nōgami @ Sep 1 2010, 08:57 PM)

If I'm not mistaken he ran a 259, which was a limited speed ermm2.gif
Someone ran a 271 with it? Now that's... Crazy.
MattW
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 08:31 AM

VOLVO For Life.

QUOTE (Cactus @ Yesterday, 5:04 PM)
Then why does the "production" part matter? They produced a few Chaparrals, does that make them production vehicles? They made a BMW M8, well, they made most of a BMW M8. And that wasn't used as a concept so much as a testbed, does that make it a production vehicle?

How about the Dallara Chassis they run in IRL, those are produced on a similar scale to the Veryrons. I have no doubt those would be faster in any race, in any conditions.

It's based on the Veyron, as another trim level. Plus it can be road registered. I'd like to see you try that with a Dallara.
Alex
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 10:21 AM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (Cactus @ Yesterday, 11:30 PM)
I'd say Gordon Murray could design a 300 mph car that would look awesome if he had even half the resources they put into the Veyron.

Well it's not like he has magical powers or anything. He's working against the same factors and restrictions.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 10:55 AM

IDW Goldmember

But he has a lot more vision, which also takes into account his experience and background in engineering. I can't say the same for the Veyron. It was the idea of Ferdinand Piech for his last hurrah to be this car, so he told his engineers that he wanted a car that had 1,000 hp and could break the 250 mph barrier. Rather than starting from scratch, there was a design for the car already in mind (which was clearly influenced by other Bugatti cars before it), which Gordon Murray had stated time and time again was a big mistake on Volkswagen's part since it gave them extra hurdles when dealing with a car meant to break top speed records. Obviously they got around it with enough time and money, but they made it harder for themselves. Let's not forget how long the car was delayed, or how many problems they had during development. The design was ready, the engine was making the power that it was supposed to, but they had so many issues when actually testing it out and making sure that it wasn't overheating and that it could hit 250 mph.

Piech was a passionate car enthusiast and apparently a brilliant businessman (seeing how his decisions to acquire certain brands ended up making them a ton of money), but he (and his team of engineers) skipped a few steps that made the car need much more engineering than it should have, which is something that you should consider when building a car of this magnitude. But they pulled it off... just with a few hiccups on the way.
orion
Posted: Sep 3 2010, 09:08 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 34,689

QUOTE (Ayako Watanabe @ Yesterday, 3:38 AM)

im not sure a production vehicle will actually be able to ever reach that on a road. There are very few places where it would be possible to get that fast with the requirement needed for the road. Maybe one of the aussie outback highways across the Nulabor could suffice. Any one have any ideas?
Alex
Posted: Sep 4 2010, 10:09 AM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (orion @ Today, 1:08 AM)
im not sure a production vehicle will actually be able to ever reach that on a road. There are very few places where it would be possible to get that fast with the requirement needed for the road. Maybe one of the aussie outback highways across the Nulabor could suffice. Any one have any ideas?

Well I mean, most of this record setting happens on a closed course, often a looong oval test track. It doesn't need to set records on any regular roads.