Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing move - over drive

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 34,859  ·  Replies: 60 
> Initial D Wikipedia/Wikia Site, Improvement in progress
Chidoki
  Posted: Dec 7 2005, 09:49 PM

Fictional Compiler

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,699

QUOTE (dmhc69 @ Today at 4:18 PM)
i'd be happy to give any input that is necessary.

feel free to contact me if you need some help with proof reading, or anything else for that matter. i'd be glad to help!

Absolutely, any help will be great...since I'm also limited myself in info at a certain degree. Well yeah i will start looking it up more during Christmas Break so yeah.
dr_ishmael
Posted: Dec 11 2005, 08:32 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,080

I noticed some mis-romanizations and inconsistencies with a few of the names in the "Car Modifications and Character Relations" page. Mostly with the elongated 'o' sounds (as in Shingo Shouji) - you should probably be consistent with those.

Yuiichi Tachibana - Yuuichi
Koichiro Iketani - Kouichirou
Kyoichi Sudoh - Kyouichi Sudou
Matsumoto Shuichi - Shuuichi <- Also, you have this name in the Japanese order (family name first), while all the other names are in Western order (given name first).
Atsorou Kawai - Atsurou
Todoh Racing School - Toudou
Kyoko Iwase - Kyouko

This post has been edited by dr_ishmael on Dec 18 2005, 08:44 PM
Chidoki
  Posted: Dec 12 2005, 12:29 AM

Fictional Compiler

QUOTE (dr_ishmael @ Yesterday at 8:26 PM)
I noticed some mis-romanizations and inconsistencies with a few of the names in the "Car Modifications and Character Relations" page. Mostly with the elongated 'o' sounds (as in Shingo Shouji) - you should probably be consistent with those.

Yuiichi Tachibana - Yuuichi
Koichiro Iketani - Kouichiriou
Kyoichi Sudoh - Kyouichi Sudou
Matsumoto Shuichi - Shuuichi <- Also, you have this name in the Japanese order (family name first), while all the other names are in Western order (given name first).
Atsorou Kawai - Atsurou
Todoh Racing School - Toudou
Kyoko Iwase - Kyouko

Hmmm...that's going pretty deep on how to translate the names, not that I'm complaining, but rather what is the most common spelling of those names that is. Since that is of how I see the names spelled mostly in fansubs or even Tokyopop perhaps? But if necessary you can always put a note down about those or right beside those names. It would always work or not depending on how the other people in wikipedia might respond that is, I'd rather have correct spellings after all.
Chidoki
  Posted: Dec 17 2005, 12:22 PM

Fictional Compiler

Again the Initial D wikipedia seems to be getting constant revamps thanks to whoever those guys doing the changes with the layouts, especially the first page.

I noticed it when i was updating the song and anime menus in 4th Stage episodes 21 - 22.
dr_ishmael
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 08:54 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,080

QUOTE (Chidoki @ Dec 12 2005, 12:23 AM)
Hmmm...that's going pretty deep on how to translate the names, not that I'm complaining, but rather what is the most common spelling of those names that is.  Since that is of how I see the names spelled mostly in fansubs or even Tokyopop perhaps?  But if necessary you can always put a note down about those or right beside those names.  It would always work or not depending on how the other people in wikipedia might respond that is, I'd rather have correct spellings after all.

It's not all that deep, actually - and it's transliterating, not translating. The biggest problems are that Yuuichi and Atsurou are both misspelled, and Matsumoto's name is backwards from every other name. The rest are simply inconsistent on the romanization of the long 'ou' phoneme ('o' vs. 'ou' vs. 'oh'). Technically, the only correct romanization is 'ou',* because the syllables in Japanese are, using Atsurou as an example, written as /A /tsu /ro /u.

As for "humoring the fans", I personally always vote for self-consistency over whatever the fans say - use one, and only one, version of 'ou' throughout the work.

* There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as Tooru's name, but they are written as /To /o /ru and as such are easy to recognize.

This post has been edited by dr_ishmael on Dec 18 2005, 08:55 PM
Chidoki
  Posted: Nov 12 2012, 10:44 PM

Fictional Compiler

Hey guys I'm just bumping back this thread, just in case I start working on the changes monthly when the episodes come out. Mainly because I'm going to do the anime/manga comparisons on what are the changes, what is different and what they took out of the manga and did not use in the anime. Others are to fix some errors from the old posts I had.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Nov 12 2012, 11:30 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

AH what a wonderful idea! With Fifth Stage upon us, now would be an awesome time to bring back the wiki site. We should get a group of people on this again. Now who would like to lead such a committee? They'd have to have amazing attention to detail, so someone not like me. laugh2.gif
Perry
Posted: Nov 12 2012, 11:34 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 4 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
AH what a wonderful idea! With Fifth Stage upon us, now would be an awesome time to bring back the wiki site. We should get a group of people on this again. Now who would like to lead such a committee? They'd have to have amazing attention to detail, so someone not like me. laugh2.gif

He's referring to the actual wikipedia site, not our own wiki. pinch2.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Nov 12 2012, 11:40 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JUST KIDDING THEN. I need to work on my reading comprehension. Seriously though, we need to get the wikia project back online. It seems like a really good idea, but no one really wanted to lead the project. We need someone to step up really. I kinda want to see those orange badges back on people.
Chidoki
  Posted: Nov 12 2012, 11:50 PM

Fictional Compiler

It depends though, but if I do something bigger and do a full revision I'd rather do a wikia. I had a lot of problems when I started the wikipedia 7 years ago because of limitations of what I'm allowed to post up, but that's ok.

Now if I do the wikia I'll probably go all crazy on it such as have single pages on each mountain pass for example and so on. But before I do that I have to do a lot of research again.

I do have certain information or pictures I never posted in wikipedia, like I have the majority of the pictures from the closed down http://gallery.tsukaeru.jp/ website for example.

If ya guys don't mind on me working on wikia Initial D I'll do as much as I can on the sideline. Although it will be ambitious on my part of Projects I work on and don't know how much I can do.

EDIT: Before I do any of that I'll probably post up any info here of what I gathered and update like the first page and what I can change, feedbacks will always be of great help.

This post has been edited by Chidoki on Nov 12 2012, 11:53 PM
Chidoki
  Posted: Nov 15 2012, 06:30 PM

Fictional Compiler

I decided to rename this topic in case I work on the wikia as I looked at it a few days ago. Most likely I'll divide it up more like the other wikia sites of popular series such as do large summaries of each episode, or large summaries of each volume, much better character, team and car pages and make a Initial D terminology page on other facts and small side notes such as the differences between the anime and manga. A lot of work yes but I won't be posting up any changes until I organize a number of information first. Right now I am just looking at all the current chapters that hasn't been translated in scanlations to get an idea of what is happening and being up to date with the latest chapter.

3 Pages  1 2 3