Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) David Dima - Bad Love

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 5,786  ·  Replies: 66 
> NEW CAR!!!!!!!!!, yes new car....
sushim0t0
  Posted: May 2 2003, 09:50 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Here's the deal... I'm buying a new car (not used car, NEW CAR!!) Anyways, there's too many cars to choose from out there(duh!). The problem is that I want a car that I can easily modify , has the looks, not break down easily, I also want the car to be able to stuff in v8 (or v10) (that took care of the little Civics smile2.gif, and twin turboz. Of course, those are minimun requirements. The budget is.. well... anything that an 18 yrs old who works at Texas Roadhouse could afford... say.. not over 20k..

Remember the point here is to find a car that WILL NEED MODIFICATION. For example, I do not need a freakin' Ferrari Enzo just to put my brand new $300 Exhaust Muffler on. I need something that's more like the FC (but not FC itself) O_o I live in USA if that would help any. Well thx for reading.. Think of it as doing a monkey a favor =) Chao!
karasac
Posted: May 2 2003, 10:18 PM

Rotary Disciple

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 11

well lets see, theres the wrx,mazda mazdaspeed protoge,vw gti 1.8t,hundai tiburon v6,senta se-r spec v, mini cooper s,ford svt focus,dodge srt-4.

and thats all i can think of
killerenergy
Posted: May 2 2003, 10:20 PM

Hi!

Member No.: 152

*off topic*
why do so amany people ignore the tech forum?
*on topic*
Sweet, a new car, wanna make a loan, to me of course.
You can get fc's in the us right?
karasac
Posted: May 2 2003, 10:23 PM

Rotary Disciple

QUOTE (killerenergy @ May 2 2003, 10:17 PM)

You can get fc's in the us right?

yes we can but hes getting a brand new car, like out of the factory new
Indecisive
Posted: May 2 2003, 10:26 PM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

your standards are too high.

your V8 cap means that none of the cars that karasac suggested are good enuf. when you say V8 you're mainly looking at the older Domestics..which I don't recomend...they're only good in straight lines.

doode..the Flat 4 in an S2000 or WRX is top notch....dont' think just cuz it's a 4 cylinder it ain't got guts. Inline 6 engines are usually very good powerplants also.

1996 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo goes for around $24,000 Canadian..you do the conversion. it's V6, and I think pushes out just under 280HP..I might be wrong tho. this car is heavy as hell tho and nissan performance parts are few and far between but you won't need many upgrades.

EDIT: hum..as for brand new cars? V8, with twin turbo for under $20,000? I'm telling you, you won't find one. you gotta go a few years older. like 96 maybe?
karasac
Posted: May 2 2003, 10:30 PM

Rotary Disciple

QUOTE (Indecisive @ May 2 2003, 10:23 PM)

your V8 cap means that none of the cars that karasac suggested are good enuf.

ooo, didnt read that part of the post, i was just naming off cars he could get for less than 20 grand
Indecisive
Posted: May 2 2003, 10:37 PM

the deranged one

QUOTE (karasac @ May 2 2003, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (Indecisive @ May 2 2003, 10:23 PM)

your V8 cap means that none of the cars that karasac suggested are good enuf.

ooo, didnt read that part of the post, i was just naming off cars he could get for less than 20 grand

ahhahah well lets see you find a V8 2004 for under $20,000 heh.
S15-guy
Posted: May 2 2003, 11:05 PM

dampachi!

Member No.: 177

well, if ur looking at new cars, the 350z is hard to look pass, also the RX-8 is gonna rock the house when its released. Although these would cost more than you $20 000.

If you really looking for a V8, i know the ford mustang starts at around 20 000 (canadian) but im guessing that would be for the V6 poverty pack. But i guess you could drop an 8 in later.

personally, i would go for a z if ur budget can stretch that far.
ImprezaSTi27
Posted: May 3 2003, 05:14 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 101

Uhhh fastest car under 20k is the SRT-4 (in a straight line). You won't find anything new (like 2004 off the lot new) out there that's worth buying under 20k unless you're really into Accents and Neons. My suggestion is to just get a quality used car that's a few years older and work on that. Some other things you want to take into consideration are what you're going to use the car for. Do you want it as a drag car, track car, drift car, etc. That would weigh your choices pretty heavily and narrow your search considerably.

Are you taking the $20k into account that you're going to use this money to also buy mods? If so you might want to put like a $15k cap for your car, and the rest for mods.

But besides asking for a track car for under $20k, you should check out forums for whatever car you're looking to get, or autotrader/vehix/craigslist.

Alex

PS: S2000 I'm pretty sure has an inline-4. Only cars with the Boxer engine are Subarus and some Euro cars (Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Porsche).
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Sugoi Kuruma
Posted: May 3 2003, 06:28 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 168

i dont see the attraction for buying a new car. what is your actual reason for wanting one?

a slightly 2nd hand car would be a much better bet, maybe 1 or 2 years old. still in excellent condition, but you wont lose the $3k or so that u will when u drive a new car off the car lot.

buying a 1 or 2 yr old car for $15,000, and spending $5k on mods would be a much better idea, but thats just my opinion.

i know im only young now (20) but i plan to NEVER buy a BRAND NEW car, EVER.

i just dont see the point, neither of my parent have ever done it, they keep buying cars that are 1 or 2 years old, and the savings mean that they can keep upgrading whenever the car gets a little old (say up to 10 yrs)

just an idea, i think u should consider it, and have a hard thought b4 u sign that paper

take it easy
sushim0t0
    Posted: May 3 2003, 07:18 AM

IDW Member

I guess my standards are a bit high tongue.gif Well I was thinking about getting an FC for around 15k and save 5k for the modz. If I get FC, I would have to replace it with new rotary engine which "who-knows-how-much-they-cost." The problem with that is that FC is an unstable car with rotary and all (just from my knowledge, my aunt's experience (she own an FC) and my opinion. the Rx-8 is around 30k and it came with all the good parts already.

The reason that I want a new car "more" than used car is simply because new cars have fresh part and won't break down unexpectedly like old cars. For example, my friend just recently bought an 86 thunderbird with turbo super charged and all for around 6k. Then two weeks later, the transmission went out. So he spent another 1k to fix that for a week. Then one week later the cam gears in the engine went bye bye. So now his car just sitting there in his driveway, dead. So, for that reason I have develope uneasiness about used car.

I guess 1 or 2 years old used car would be good enough. So, other than the car which karsaac listed,
well lets see, theres the wrx,mazda mazdaspeed protoge,vw gti 1.8t,hundai tiburon v6,senta se-r spec v, mini cooper s,ford svt focus,dodge srt-4.
anyone have their favorites that they would recommend to list? Keep it at v6 if you will.. Thx for all the input.
bunta_boi
Posted: May 3 2003, 11:12 AM

Billy Jean is not my lover ...

Member No.: 68

QUOTE (sushim0t0 @ May 3 2003, 08:15 AM)
I guess my standards are a bit high tongue.gif Well I was thinking about getting an FC for around 15k and save 5k for the modz. If I get FC, I would have to replace it with new rotary engine which "who-knows-how-much-they-cost." The problem with that is that FC is an unstable car with rotary and all (just from my knowledge, my aunt's experience (she own an FC) and my opinion. the Rx-8 is around 30k and it came with all the good parts already.

The reason that I want a new car "more" than used car is simply because new cars have fresh part and won't break down unexpectedly like old cars. For example, my friend just recently bought an 86 thunderbird with turbo super charged and all for around 6k. Then two weeks later, the transmission went out. So he spent another 1k to fix that for a week. Then one week later the cam gears in the engine went bye bye. So now his car just sitting there in his driveway, dead. So, for that reason I have develope uneasiness about used car.

I guess 1 or 2 years old used car would be good enough. So, other than the car which karsaac listed,
anyone have their favorites that they would recommend to list? Keep it at v6 if you will.. Thx for all the input.

theres his problem...

we all know about domestic reliability right? tongue.gif
ViperGTS-R
Posted: May 3 2003, 12:57 PM

*insert derogatory adjective here*

Member No.: 385

they're only good in straight lines.

we all know about domestic reliability right?

*holds breath for 10 seconds*
*drops head in frustration*

If you get an FC, you won't have to do a rotary engine swap, so as long as the set-up is naturally aspirated...I have a friend who has a '94, and the engine's been pretty reliable, when compaired to the turbocharged '93 he used to own...

As for recommendations on the list, V6 models would include the Hyundai Tiburon V6 GT, and...nothing else...All other cars, which include the WRX, MS Protegé, SVT Focus, GTI 1.8T, Sentra SE-R V-Spec, Neon SRT-10 and Mini Cooper S. The Tiburon comes with an Inline-4 for people with a smaller budget, but you did ask for a "V6", and you've got it, but I wouldn't recommend the Tiburon V6, even with a V6, since horsepower ratings are underrated by at least 20-30 hp.

The SVT Focus would be a good pick, since it rings up 170-hp/145 ft-lb torque from a naturally aspirated engine hooked up to a Getrag 6-speed manual. Forgot what company it is, but there's someone that's gonna release a turbocharger kit for both the regular Zetec and SVT engine, with estimations of up to 230-hp for the SVT. Independent-wheel suspension gives the best ride quality, while offering good cornering abilities as well. Although '00-'01 Foci have been plauged with problems, all problems have been resolved in model years '02+. I have a '03 ZX3, so I'll keep an eye out for Ford's promise on this. The SVT division models are also slightly more reliable than their regular counterparts anyway.

The Neon SRT-10 wouldn't be a bad choice either, as it delivers the best car for under $20-grand in terms of acceleration with it's turbocharged 2.4L DOHC Inline-4 putting down 215-hp/245 ft-lb torque through a 5-speed. Probably has the best performance-per-dollar ratio for a sport compact car on the market as of now, although I have no idea what the SRT-4 would fare on track.

The Sentra isn't a bad buy either, since it delivers alot of low to midrange torque in a hurry with it's 2.5L Inline-4 putting down 175-hp/180 ft-lb torque, with handeling only the SVT Focus could match. A short-geared 6-speed manual means alot of shifting for a quick-accelerating car, however.

WRX - Fuggit, you know what's up...

VW GTI 1.8T - I know someone who's owned one for a year, and he says it's pretty reliable, but it's VW, so duh...1.8L Inline-4, TG'ed, 180-hp and 174 ft-lbs of torque sounds pretty fun, although he unfortunatly says doesn't corner as well as the SVT Focus or Sentra SE-R.

Mini Cooper S - It's got a zesty engine (Test drove it once), but somewhat lacks, since in SG'ed form, you'd think it should be putting out alot more. Well, of course, since it has a governor on the SG that limits the amount of power output it can produced. It's a good handeler too througout the turns, but a rough handeler that somewhat reminded me of when I went off-roading in my Jeep Wrangler. Since it's owned and built by BMW, expect some shop time for this car when things break down...
CapSule
Posted: May 3 2003, 01:12 PM

Grip Silvia S12

Member No.: 249

Wow, someone's been doing their Homework, I see, I see. happy.gif
awddrifter
Posted: May 3 2003, 01:14 PM

なんでやねん

Member No.: 377

QUOTE (ViperGTS-R @ May 3 2003, 12:54 PM)
WRX - Fuggit, you know what's up...

I dunno what you mean by that...??? But the WRX is a great car (it wouldn't be on Car and Drivers top 10 twice in a row if it wasn't laugh.gif ). It costs a bit over $24,000 brand new, so its out of your price range if you want one brand new...

I have to agree though, if you are looking for a straight line car, the SRT-4 IS the fastest under 20k. I've heard that some people are dynoing their SRT-4's at around 230fwhp stock blink.gif blink.gif

As for VW GTI's... don't get one... my dad has one and its broken down so many times we've lost count (broke down on the freeway driving it home from the dealership). Of course other people will say otherwise about them...

As for V6's... i dunno... its hard to find a good V6 for under 20k.... sad.gif

Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
sushim0t0
  Posted: May 3 2003, 02:44 PM

IDW Member

If I were to bump up my budget limit from 20k to 30k, what would be the best choice now? WITH V6!

All of the models you all listed were great! but V6 is really what I'm looking for... so "our" budget has gone up to 30k now smile.gif So, let's get busy!
awddrifter
Posted: May 3 2003, 03:08 PM

なんでやねん

Member No.: 377

Ok, now we can include some good V6's now that the budget is at 30k =)

All of these cars are priced as brand new:

Nissan 350z: anywhere from $26k-$35k depending on which type you get. (from base to track types).

Infiniti G35 Coupe: from $29,500-$32,500

Ford Mustang GT, and Premium styles: $25,000-$29,000. Im not a big fan of Mustangs, but since you seem to like v6's and v8's, you should like mustangs im guessing too.

Mercedes-Benz C320 and C240: $28k-$30k

BMW 325ci,i, and xi: $28,500-$30,500

Lexus IS300: $29,980

And for 4-bangers:

Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII: $28,987
Subaru Impreza WRX STi: $30,995

I've just listed off some prices for now... if you want me to post reviews later I can too. Again, it all depends on what your looking for in the car. Preformance, Luxury, Styling, etc???

Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Indecisive
Posted: May 3 2003, 06:23 PM

the deranged one

QUOTE (sushim0t0 @ May 3 2003, 02:41 PM)
If I were to bump up my budget limit from 20k to 30k, what would be the best choice now? WITH V6!

when you say with V6 do you specifically mean V6 or are you kool with Inline 6? cuz I personally like the Inline 6 layout a lot better.
sushim0t0
  Posted: May 3 2003, 06:32 PM

IDW Member

Ok, those new lists are somewhat helpful, but they are already at high-ranked performace level. I do not want a powerful car. I want to make one smile.gif . Anyways, I kinda made up my mind, but I need another listing to be precise. The list in which I want is the cars that came with 4-cylinders and CAN (not "could".. but CAN ACTUALLY) stuff in a v6. If there's any out there have infos about these kind of cars then let's hear 'em. I am counting on you the most, awddrifter, so don't let me down tongue.gif

Also, anyone knows an engine dealer sites? That would be very helpful. Thx.

Oh ya.. the budget is back down to 20k again wink2.gif
sushim0t0
  Posted: May 3 2003, 06:43 PM

IDW Member

Well if the car can fit either v6 or inline 6, I would choose inline 6 period(.)

I kinda did some research a while back. If anyone want more info about how these 2 engines are different here's the link:

http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/show...&threadid=22003

Indecisive
Posted: May 3 2003, 06:52 PM

the deranged one

uh..your 20K isn't including the new engine is it? cuz for a good performance engine or rebuilt engine you'll need at least 7K.

and if you wanna go FI then you'll have to get good quality shit which means you prolly gonna spend more $$ on a turbo.

I'm gonna suggest my dream car to you.

1991 BMW M3. this goes for 10-15K even tho it's got a 4 banger it's pushin out 200HP and a 6 cylinder will fit..there's a 6 cylinder version in europe that was in limited production. very good reliable car..built for the track. but because it's a lil older you'll have to take care of it but wut fun is owning a performance car if you can't work on it ya know?
ViperGTS-R
Posted: May 3 2003, 07:13 PM

*insert derogatory adjective here*

Member No.: 385

With your budget back down to $20-grand, I guess your main choice of car for what you're explaining is the 240SX. I know what you can do with it, but other people can get technical for me, since I'm getting burned out with typing to go into complicated details to explain what would fit your needs, in terms of engine swaps and do-it-yourself stuff...

If you want a car that comes with a V6 stock, I guess you could go with the '00+ Eclipse GTS, which comes with a 3.0L V6, with '03 models getting the power-boost to 210-hp. All linked to a 5-Speed manual, and if you're getting a convertible (I've only got prices for a convertible, too lazy to find for a coupe), as-tested price would be $28-grand. Of course, with your budget dropped, you can find used coupes for condierably less, although probably not an '03 model. Horsepower rating for '00-'02 GT models were 200, I think...Older Eclipses would be a good buy too, even though your 6-cylinder hope is out of the question...If you can find one, they came with AWD turbocharged options, and although pretty hard to find, very well worth it if found...

Nothing else is quite coming to my mind about a V6 or I6 engine swap from a stock I4 car, though...
Alex
Posted: May 3 2003, 07:28 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

How much are Nissan Maxima's and Altima's? the new Altima i like a lot and also the maxima but the 2000-2003 Maxima are very good looking cars. the new one for 04 is good looking too but not released yet to my knowlege. i believe they are V6 or V8 probably 6. i can say anything about how i like an engine or a layout better than another because i have no experiance with any engine other than a go-karts...what do you expect from a 12 year old?
ImprezaSTi27
Posted: May 3 2003, 07:32 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 101

Oooo get a Mini Cooper S. They're fun cars. Except the dealership in my area has a 6 month wait list for the Mini and a 13 month wait list for the S I think. But yeah, it pulls like 1.0+g's on the skid pad, those are Porsche numbers right there biggrin.gif .

Careful if you get a WRX. Your age doesn't make your insurance too appealing (especially for WRX's), and a lot of young drivers think that just because it's a WRX it makes you drive like Petter Solberg, and people wrap their cars around trees and telephone poles.

Alex
Indecisive
Posted: May 3 2003, 07:40 PM

the deranged one

QUOTE (ImprezaSTi27 @ May 3 2003, 07:29 PM)
Oooo get a Mini Cooper S. They're fun cars. Except the dealership in my area has a 6 month wait list for the Mini and a 13 month wait list for the S I think. But yeah, it pulls like 1.0+g's on the skid pad, those are Porsche numbers right there biggrin.gif .

Careful if you get a WRX. Your age doesn't make your insurance too appealing (especially for WRX's), and a lot of young drivers think that just because it's a WRX it makes you drive like Petter Solberg, and people wrap their cars around trees and telephone poles.

Alex

the Cooper S is just for pimp factor.

bmw REALLY skimped on this car..EVERYTHING IS PLASTIC!!!! wut da hell is THAT! oh well. good car nonetheless. I don't think you could fit an I6 in there tho..hahaha. the engine compartment is tiny.

3 Pages  1 2 3