Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Taillight

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a topic. Posting a repeated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Advertising without any actual participation in the forums is consider spamming. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
• Post Initial D / Automotive related merchandise here. Unrelated threads will be locked and the topic starter could receive a verbal warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 10,257  ·  Replies: 13 
> First Stage LD Boxset
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 21 2017, 07:14 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

I've recently acquired a copy of the laserdisc box (seen here, not my pic):

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1200 x 1600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I still have yet to get myself a laserdisc player. Just curious, does anyone here have one and is good at ripping LDs?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
AUSyTyIN
Posted: Mar 22 2017, 03:43 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,092

That's awesome! Never knew they made one. I've been meaning to pick up a LD player and some of the must haves discs (Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Star Wars). Guess that doesn't help you out though...but I did add a LD that I need to buy when I do start collecting them.

What are your plans after you ripping them?
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 22 2017, 09:02 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (AUSyTyIN @ 5 hours, 16 minutes ago)
That's awesome!  Never knew they made one.  I've been meaning to pick up a LD player and some of the must haves discs (Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Star Wars).  Guess that doesn't help you out though...but I did add a LD that I need to buy when I do start collecting them.

What are your plans after you ripping them?

I'm hoping there's a chance the LDs have better picture quality than the VHS-sourced DVDs which are still the best-looking versions out there. It might be possible that Avex overlooked using them as source material for the horrid BD remaster. I'd like to use a good LD player to make a quality transfer to find out, and if it is better, post it.
AUSyTyIN
Posted: Mar 23 2017, 03:44 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 48,092

Very cool idea, keep us posted!

Are subtitles able to be extracted from one source and added to another, or would they have to be manually redone?
magiblot
Posted: Mar 27 2017, 01:17 PM

Speed Speed Lover ☆

Member No.: 46,334

Hey kyonpalm! Nice purchase! Please consider my will to collaborate in any video ripping project!

In my opinion, you shouldn't get any expensive hardware (LD player, capture device...) before knowing the actual quality of the video stored in these discs. Once you have a player, you could compare it with the DVD releases. If you find it's good, I can lend you a hand in the ripping process.

I suggest you try to borrow the hardware you need from people you know for the first attempt. If you decide to rip the LDs, you have to keep in mind that the composite video cable (RCA) is the proper one to use for capturing LaserDisc (S-Video is better for VHS, but not for this).

That being said, you can use either a Video-to-USB capture device or an old PCI capture card. Just find one that works, because it's difficult to aim for quality when looking for one of these. In the end, the capture will be treated with software, so this point might not be that important.

If you get to the point of capturing, I could help you finding a good recording application. And I would be very pleased to do the processing stuff, if you want.

Cheers.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 27 2017, 09:27 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (AUSyTyIN @ Mar 23 2017, 07:44 AM)
Very cool idea, keep us posted!

Are subtitles able to be extracted from one source and added to another, or would they have to be manually redone?

Existing subs could be used to work with. Timing will almost certainly need to be adjusted.

QUOTE (magiblot @ 8 hours, 8 minutes ago)
Hey kyonpalm! Nice purchase! Please consider my will to collaborate in any video ripping project!

In my opinion, you shouldn't get any expensive hardware (LD player, capture device...) before knowing the actual quality of the video stored in these discs. Once you have a player, you could compare it with the DVD releases. If you find it's good, I can lend you a hand in the ripping process.

I suggest you try to borrow the hardware you need from people you know for the first attempt. If you decide to rip the LDs, you have to keep in mind that the composite video cable (RCA) is the proper one to use for capturing LaserDisc (S-Video is better for VHS, but not for this).

That being said, you can use either a Video-to-USB capture device or an old PCI capture card. Just find one that works, because it's difficult to aim for quality when looking for one of these. In the end, the capture will be treated with software, so this point might not be that important.

If you get to the point of capturing, I could help you finding a good recording application. And I would be very pleased to do the processing stuff, if you want.

Cheers.

Thanks for the offer! I'll message you whenever I end up with the means to rip it.
streetstyle
Posted: Apr 6 2017, 03:48 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 45,169

Hey from a purely graphics angle.. if you got the stickers/decals could you either take me a good photo or a scan? Just some more variations to the logo.. lol

Thanks in advance!
hackgrid
Posted: Apr 15 2017, 05:31 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 16,046

Wow, on laserdisc, great find! :-)

Looking forward for updates!
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 2 2017, 11:51 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Sorry it took a while but here's scans of the sticker sets as previously requested:

https://puu.sh/w5VPG/05a222df24.jpg

https://puu.sh/w5VQA/b88cbc3425.jpg
alex1287
Posted: Jun 2 2017, 12:35 PM

OVER 9000!

Member No.: 38,532

How look Initial D Laser Disc? its better than DVD? I wanted to see how look wink2.gif and I'm waiting for rip biggrin.gif
kyonpalm
  Posted: Jun 2 2017, 12:53 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (alex1287 @ 17 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
How look Initial D Laser Disc? its better than DVD? I wanted to see how look wink2.gif and I'm waiting for rip biggrin.gif

I still don't have an LD player, but as soon as I get one, you'll see me posting about it here.
alex1287
Posted: Jun 2 2017, 01:12 PM

OVER 9000!

Member No.: 38,532

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 18 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
I still don't have an LD player, but as soon as I get one, you'll see me posting about it here.

Oki Doki biggrin.gif I'm waiting for this wink2.gif because is interesting what version better biggrin.gif
RomStol
Posted: Feb 15 2018, 05:41 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 45,848

Any updates?
kyonpalm
  Posted: Feb 15 2018, 08:18 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (RomStol @ 2 hours, 36 minutes ago)
Any updates?

None, unless someone is feeling generous enough to buy me an LD player and a capture card. ;^)