Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage Sound File) PROJECT.D II

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,324  ·  Replies: 9 
> Name suffix
Nobrand
  Posted: Dec 3 2003, 11:03 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 947

Hello, Ive just got into anime, but i noticed that they add suffixes to the name of the ppl.

For example, the add -chan , -kun, -sama, -dono.
What are the meaning of these?
|[ .tainted. ]|
Posted: Dec 3 2003, 02:31 PM

IDforum OG member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 141

that's part of the japanese language...

i think it's to distinguish between someone older... younger... of same age... teacher...
a japanese person should be able to help you with that... wink2.gif
CrypticApathy
Posted: Dec 3 2003, 05:54 PM

OH SNAP!

Member No.: 1,065

there kinda the equivlent of englishs Mr. Mrs. Miss. from what ive been told
Phantom
Posted: Dec 4 2003, 10:36 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 688

if im not mistaken, chan is used for young girls
kun is used like mr
sama is used when talking to people of higher athority or a elderly person
and dono is used to refer to a mature women
and teacher is sensei
killerenergy
Posted: Dec 4 2003, 12:47 PM

Hi!

Member No.: 152

MidnightViper88
Posted: Dec 4 2003, 01:37 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

QUOTE (Nobrand @ Dec 3 2003, 11:01 AM)
Hello, Ive just got into anime, but i noticed that they add suffixes to the name of the ppl.

For example, the add -chan , -kun, -sama, -dono.
What are the meaning of these?

Right off the bat, I can tell you -chan is used to refer to someone who's younger than you (As -san is for someone older than you) and -kun are for people who are your friends...

[edit]I'm also not sure about whether you can use it as a suffix or not, but I'm sure the word "Sama" means "king", since I learned from a Japanese friend of mine the phrase "Kuso kasi sama", which means "King of all shit", or something very close to those lines... biggrin.gif [/edit]

KenshinX
Posted: Dec 4 2003, 05:39 PM

Dark Hitokiri

Member No.: 186

chan , -kun, -sama, -dono

Chan - this suffix is normally used for young girls and among young people alike, much as how -kun is used except for the gender-specific, which is dictated in common Japanese language. You usually refer to someone as chan when they are close female friends or a young girl that you know relatively well and have respect for. Most commonly used among teens and young adults.

Kun - Same as chan, except normally used for boys and young guys. These kinds of words tend to have a more innocent and polite meaning behind them.

Sama - I see this used frequently in reference to one's master or an elder. A term used to garner one's authority and usually is used when someone refers to somebody of higher rank, respect and general power. It has very high credibility, it mainly refers to one's superiority over another in different ways. Some subtle, some not so.......

Dono - Polite term normally used in reference to mature girls. I don't know that much about this one, sorry.

Phantom
Posted: Dec 4 2003, 05:42 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 688

man you people are just ripping posts THATS WAT I SAID EXACTLY! you havent added anything new! >.< tongue.gif
Ruki
Posted: Dec 4 2003, 07:07 PM

Ruki-chan

Member No.: 294

I agree with KenshinX-san and Phantom-san. ^^ *nods*
Seychella
Posted: Dec 5 2003, 12:30 AM

IDW Web Designer

Member No.: 1,044

QUOTE (Phantom @ Dec 4 2003, 05:40 PM)
man you people are just ripping posts THATS WAT I SAID EXACTLY! you havent added anything new! >.< tongue.gif

no offence Phantom-san but u can not say they were "ripping" ur posts.. i do believe the later posts have gone into a much more detailed explaination of the suffixes than you had originally @_@ I"m sure you understand them and how they're used.. but think of somone who doesnt understand.... they would probably prefer an explaination that's more in depth... happy.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums