Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Supreme Folly

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

94 Pages  « 92 93 94  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 156,669  ·  Replies: 2,340 
> The New Nissan GTR
Jardim
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 07:47 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 15,519

I'd rather operate a clutch, auto cars get boring fasst. and when the highways jammed, i find the nearest exit and backroad it home, nothing better than downshifting into a steep grade turning in, accelerating and upshifting, its like Initial D but 4 real hahaha!
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 10:47 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Jardim @ 3 hours, 0 minutes ago)
I'd rather operate a clutch, auto cars get boring fasst. and when the highways jammed, i find the nearest exit and backroad it home, nothing better than downshifting into a steep grade turning in, accelerating and upshifting, its like Initial D but 4 real hahaha!

You don't live around here. Trust me, a manual car gets frustrating quickly if you hit traffic at the bad times and happen to be stuck anywhere near Los Angeles. As someone who only has manual cars, I often find myself longing for the days of my SVX if only for its smooth automatic.

There's just no reason to put a true manual shift into a car like the GT-R. It would be slower in every way. Complain all you like, but they're going for a car that is superb at what it was designed to do. It cannot be as fast as it is with a manual shift, period. It's not going to change, so you may as well stop complaining about it and just enjoy what you have if you don't like it.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Fast
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 12:56 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

QUOTE (touge_rider @ Yesterday, 2:52 PM)
Still, if you think about it: Lan-Evo (or Impreza) with a sequential box... hmm.gif No. It does not make any sense at all (at least to me).

Umm...

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYxqbcKFryc )

This post has been edited by Fast on Nov 14 2011, 12:58 AM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 07:40 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 11:47 PM)
You don't live around here. Trust me, a manual car gets frustrating quickly if you hit traffic at the bad times and happen to be stuck anywhere near Los Angeles. As someone who only has manual cars, I often find myself longing for the days of my SVX if only for its smooth automatic.

There's just no reason to put a true manual shift into a car like the GT-R. It would be slower in every way. Complain all you like, but they're going for a car that is superb at what it was designed to do. It cannot be as fast as it is with a manual shift, period. It's not going to change, so you may as well stop complaining about it and just enjoy what you have if you don't like it.

From what I remember, Jardim is originally from the LA area (Watts up!), so I think he knows what traffic is like.

I agree about the transmission choice of the GT-R -- it was intended to be a car that was easy to drive fast, no matter who you are. The lack of shifting purity in it doesn't really mean much, especially since it's a higher-end AWD sports car to begin with, so people whining about purity should be looking at something high-strung and RWD like the 911 GT3, not this. Even Ferrari is killing off their manual transmissions, yet no one is whining about the 458. At least not people who have actually driven it.

Similarly, I've never been in a go-kart that I needed to shift, yet I still have a hell of a time in them. I don't see why piloting a car with a solid transmission lacking a third pedal doesn't get a pass.
Sensation!
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 09:48 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 2 hours, 7 minutes ago)
From what I remember, Jardim is originally from the LA area (Watts up!), so I think he knows what traffic is like.

I dont remember Murphanation or w/e his old handle is being from watts or the like. I think you might be getting him confused with nismotime or cyrus, who i believe do live in that area. I could be wrong though.

but I digress, it seems like the majority of modern sports cars are beginning to abandon the traditional manual gearbox. Id say with good reason, it only offers benefits. Whats irking a few traditionalists gonna do in the way of improved functionality?

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Nov 14 2011, 09:50 PM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 08:15 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Sensation! @ Yesterday, 10:48 PM)
I dont remember Murphanation or w/e his old handle is being from watts or the like. I think you might be getting him confused with nismotime or cyrus, who i believe do live in that area. I could be wrong though.

I'm for sure talking about Jardim. I remember asking him about it because his location used to have his address on it (Grape St., which is in Watts), though I had never met him. I'm not confusing him with Nismotime or Cyrus, who I did meet at the first meet in the Torrance area, though I know they're from LA but not from Watts though.

but I digress, it seems like the majority of modern sports cars are beginning to abandon the traditional manual gearbox. Id say with good reason, it only offers benefits. Whats irking a few traditionalists gonna do in the way of improved functionality?

I'd say that the cars that always had the purest driving experience, like the 911 GT3 on one end or the Miata on the other, will definitely offer the manual transmission as the main (if not sole) option. But in this day and age of insane hp and torque, you almost need an automated transmission to protect the car from being overrevved or damaged. This kind of firepower takes its toll on a clutch, especially a manually operated one. Even the new 458, though a high-revving unit, only comes with a dual clutch and still has a solid amount of torque, which is among the highest naturally aspirated torque/liter units on the market right now.
Jardim
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 05:15 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

I lived in that shithole for a little over a year when my mom was getting legalized in the country (she had to return and come back). I know how LA traffic is, Boston is no different, maybe not as bad and long lasting but certain hours of the day can be hectic. My town is a gateway for 3 other towns with no highway access so main street can get backed up at the 5 o'clock hour.

Back on topic. The only reason why i'd want it with a manual transmission is price. The car would cost less (maybe 20 grand less if the tranny is really worth 20k) and a manual transmission is always more reliable in most applications. The R34 used a 6 speed getrag transmission which some say is good for well over 1000 HP. So if i disable the VDC and use the launch sequence in my MT GTR i wont be looking at a expansive replacement. Would make the GT-R more affordable for more people thus more sales. Who cares about .02 seconds less on a shift when you have a 530 hp GT-R?
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 07:17 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Jardim @ 2 hours, 2 minutes ago)
Back on topic. The only reason why i'd want it with a manual transmission is price. The car would cost less (maybe 20 grand less if the tranny is really worth 20k) and a manual transmission is always more reliable in most applications. The R34 used a 6 speed getrag transmission which some say is good for well over 1000 HP. So if i disable the VDC and use the launch sequence in my MT GTR i wont be looking at a expansive replacement. Would make the GT-R more affordable for more people thus more sales. Who cares about .02 seconds less on a shift when you have a 530 hp GT-R?

It certainly wouldn't be $20k less... that's just the price for the complete unit if you break yours and need to replace it, though it doesn't necessarily represent the actual cost of it. And it's not like a standard manual transmission is free anyway, so the difference wouldn't be nearly as much as you think.

The problem with the reliability of a manual transmission is that while it is simpler with less stuff to break (along with less stuff to make it function properly), it's very vulnerable to human error, much more so than a computer-controlled transmission. Poor driving habits (particularly in the clutching and shifting department) will eat through the clutch fairly quickly, possibly even the transmission. Not that non-manuals are impervious (as there were incidents involving the 2008 GT-Rs blowing transmissions), but it probably still would've happened with a manual. The blown GT-R transmissions were the result of a ton of drag-style launches. It'll take its toll on any car, specifically AWD ones with a lot of firepower.

While a standard manual transmission would've made the GT-R less expensive (assuming that they only went with one transmission option, as developing two transmissions clearly costs more money), the target market of the GT-R that can actually afford it probably won't care much for the difference to the point where it suddenly makes it an affordable option to them if it was just borderline before. Comparing it to a car of comparable performance (in this case, the current 911 Turbo), the dual-clutch transmission is a $4,550 option, so we can use that as rough estimate of the premium a dual-clutch carries over a manual. Certainly $4,550 is a big chunk of money, but if you subtract that from the price of a GT-R, it's still completely unaffordable to nearly everyone on this forum. But for those who can afford a car the price of a GT-R minus $4,550 should probably still be able to afford the full price of a GT-R, assuming you're at least somewhat smart about budgeting.

Remember, the GT-R was engineered to be fast and easy to drive on a regular basis while being able to go to the track any day of the week. A dual-clutch helps with both of those goals. If you must have AWD and a manual, you can get an Evo X GSR for a bit over a third of the price or on the other end of the spectrum a 911 Carrera 4S for a few thousand more.
Nappy Hared Azn
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 08:28 PM

Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?

Member No.: 1,828

A part of me says that the GT-R is over-engineered and should be offered with a manual transmission, but a louder and more obnoxious part of me (which has been getting louder and louder the closer I get to my BSME) absolutely adores the GT-R BECAUSE it's over-engineered and putting a manual transmission in it would be an absolute shame.

The GT-R isn't a Miata or a Lotus, it's motherf**king Godzilla. You know what kind of engineers designed Godzilla? The kind that filled tires with nitrogen because diatomic nitrogen is incredibly inert. We can sit around praising the manual transmission on how much better it is because it involves the driver more, but a DCT is faster, and fast is what the GT-R is about.

Putting a manual transmission in a GT-R is like taking a Coen Brothers script and hiring Clint Eastwood as the directer and then casting Adam Sandler instead of Bryan Cranston in the lead role. Sure, Adam Sandler is more fun to watch, but Bryan Cranston is the better actor and casting him would have made for a better movie.
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 08:41 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

Your just lucky the Nissan engieneers decided to allow you to have a gas pedel! (Humm, on second thought, your unqualified to operate that too...)
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 5 2012, 02:04 PM

IDW Goldmember

Next year's GT-R info has been released... apparently it did a 7:19.1 on the 'Ring, but there is clearly a part where the car had to let off of the accelerator to pass another car that happened to be driving at the same time, so Mizuno's estimate based on his calculations would've put that lap at 7:18.6, if that other car hadn't been there.
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 5 2012, 08:47 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 6 hours, 42 minutes ago)
Next year's GT-R info has been released... apparently it did a 7:19.1 on the 'Ring, but there is clearly a part where the car had to let off of the accelerator to pass another car that happened to be driving at the same time, so Mizuno's estimate based on his calculations would've put that lap at 7:18.6, if that other car hadn't been there.

If Nissan can put a pig of a car around the ring that fast, why do they suck at racing? Obviously I'm ignoring SuperGT, that has zero coverage over here. I'm not suggesting they can't build a quick car, I'm just curious why they don't use them to make Porsches look like porches on their own home turf.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 5 2012, 09:43 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Cactus @ 55 minutes, 35 seconds ago)
Obviously I'm ignoring SuperGT

And there's your post in a nutshell. In just the last few years Nissan won both the GT300 and GT500 championships in 2008, and the GT500 in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
s12drifter
Posted: Dec 19 2012, 04:29 PM

The Lulz Boat

Member No.: 23,696

the nissan GT-failure I'm just going to shut my month the only thing they even got right was the tail light design, I'll leave it at that.

(USER WAS VERBALLY WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Verbal warning has been issued to this post by kyonpalm on Dec 19 2012, 05:07 PM.
  - Reasons: Please don't bump threads pointlessly.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 19 2012, 04:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (s12drifter @ 25 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
the nissan GT-failure I'm just going to shut my month the only thing they even got right was the tail light design, I'll leave it at that.

You revived a topic just to spout idiotic nonsense? Stupid is as stupid does. facepalm.gif
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 19 2013, 05:59 PM

IDW Goldmember

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but it's relevant.

The 2015 GT-R Nismo is stated to have 595 hp and 480 lb-ft. Thanks to some of the parts from the actual race GT-R, its Ring lap time is 7:08.

94 Pages  « 92 93 94