Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 10 unique listeners, playing Sophie - Lonely Love

7 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 98,837  ·  Replies: 156 
> [FANFIC] Hero of Midnight, a fanfic by me, chapter 17 is up! [04.08.-08]
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 21 2006, 05:28 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 14,568

This is my first fanfic. I decided to start writing it when everyone seemed to concentrate cars that were either from mid-80's or newer. thus, I picked up older car, created a hero that had earned his reputation by hard work and few flukes.

Hero:Ryuu Masaru

History:Ryuu bought his car at the age of 15 from local second hand market. After that, he had spend his time repairing, restoring and upgrading the car when his money situation allowed. Eventually he got into street racing scene, and especially Touge fascinated him, after all, his underpowered Starlet was no match to the monsters of Wangan.
Soon after few first somewhat succesful races, his childhood friend, Akira Hideaki helped him to build some custom upgrades onto his super-turbocharged KP60, like the system that disengages the supercharger when it's out of it's efficient rpm range.
Despite the power hike, he decided to stay on mountain passes. During few next months, tales about the surprisingly quick Starlet started to spread, and within a year, whole region knew the flip-painted Starlet as Midnight Dragon, who could defeat numerous sportscars that were two decades newer than it..

Car: Toyota Starlet KP60 '80, “Midnight Dragon”
Special stuff: Bucket seats, rear seat removed. Widebodykit, twincharged 4A-GE engine, black-to-blue flip paint, Group F rally-style spoiler. 6-speed gearbox from Miata 1800RS.
Modernized suspension, strenghtened chassis. Xenon headlights.
Boost Scramble-feature (lifts boost about 30% until driver releases the button that's mounted in the steering wheel), automatically disengaging supercharger system.
( SC is engaged via automatic, electronically controlled clutch around 700rpm min and cuts it off at.4000rpm max, which is when turbo starts to spool) Flat bottom, with modest diffusers at the rear.
Power: 320bhp+ with Boost Scramble.
Top speed:140mph+
Weight: 630kg dry, 720kg wet + driver.

wangan specs:

Mazdaspeed 20B twinturbo unit, tuned by RE-Amemiya. twin Variable Geometry Turbo's. 640bhp at low boost setup with boost scramble, 985bhp at high boost with boost scramble, top speed of 250mph, limited by gearing.

NOTE! Performance figures are pretty much fictional.

Prologue

Dragon awakens

Ryoichi was sweating. His car shuddered as it ran over the bumps, bouncing to air for a fraction of a second before landing accompanied by small cloud of sparks as the bottom scraped the tarmac. He floored the throttle again, and his RX-8's rear squatted a bit as it did it's best to deliver the power to the road.

“How in the hell can that ancient junkpile keep up with me?!” He thought, glancing at his rearview mirror, noticing that the headlights of the car that was chasing him had actually creeped closer, despite of his flawless drift thru that slow chicane. He could hear the weird sound of his chasers engine, jet engine-like whine followed by more familiar whistle and hiss of turbocharger. He looked forwards, and sighed from relief. “Finally, uphill section starts.. now I'll show that kid who is who!”

With a grim smile, Ryoichi kept his foot down despite the strained howl of his naturally aspirated engine. He knew that his car could not lose to that grocery getter on uphill section. He looked to his mirror once more, and his grin faded. “Wha-?! It can't be!” His opponent was almost scraping his bumper with his own, keeping up with a car that had rolled from factory a quarter of a century later than Ryoichi's.

The short uphill section ended, and downhill took over. Ryoichi grit his teeths, squeezing his steering wheel hard as he did his best to keep ahead. “This is ridiculous! I will not be humiliated by that piece of crap!”

Despite his best efforts, he lost ground at every entrance. Finally, the pressure was too much for Ryoichi, and he entered the corner bit too fast, exceeding the limits of his badly worn tyres. “Oh shiiit, the tyres don't respond!” Rear started to slide wider than he had wanted it to, and he had to ease off the throttle slightly. That was the last nail to Ryoichi's race, and snap-back caused him to swerve off the road and into the ditch as his menacing opponent's car went by.

"f**k!" Ryoichi yelled from fustration, pounding the steering wheel with his fist as he watched the opponents rearlights vanish behind the corner.

Ryuu wiped off some sweat. He still wasn't used to the sudden surge of power when he used the Boost Scramble. He slowed down, glancing at the gauges. Everything was within normal limits and he sighed from relief, before turning his car around and returning to his opponents wrecked car to check if he was hurt.

Feel free to comment.

This post has been edited by FinToy-83 on Aug 4 2008, 07:24 AM
Meteor
Posted: Nov 21 2006, 07:16 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,929

Interesting. Continue.
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 22 2006, 06:57 AM

IDW Banned Member

Thanks. I'll do the first chapter later today.
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 22 2006, 03:05 PM

IDW Banned Member

Chapter 1: New morning, new threat.

Ryuu was tired but happy. The race had gone well, and his opponent got mere bruises in the crash. After few hours of sleep, he waked up as his phone rang. It was Akira.

“Morning, Ryuu. Sorry that I waked you up, but I needed to know if the upgrades worked as we planned.” Ryuu yawned and groaned a bit before answering. “Yeah, they worked like dream. Only trouble I had was trying to keep the rear end of the car still while using the boost scramble. I guess we need to.. (yawn) .. soften the rear suspension a bit.”

Ryuu could almost see his friend nodding his head eagerly. Despite being more interested of electronic gadgets, Akira knew pretty much about suspension and other stuff about cars, after all, his father had been a race driver few years back. “I agree. What about the drifts? Were they easy to control?”
Ryuu grunted as he walked to his kitchen, before replying. “As easy as they just can be in a car with such short wheelbase. But the car is more and more oriented towards grip, so it's basically useless to drift it when it can go just as fast with grip. Zero countersteer drifts are the ones that happen almost without any input from me, which is just perfect.” Ryuu did put some coffee coming, yawning again. “You know, I've been saving money for a rather special engine that I could use in Wangan runs. With new front bumper and better diffuser kit under the car I'm pretty sure that I could keep up with those nutjobs out there.”

There was a short silence, before Akira answered. “ I see.. well, you got me interested. What kind of engine is it if I may ask?” Ryuu chuckled. “ It's a secret, but I assure you that it'll be phenomenal. In drag use some tuners have pulled out over 1000bhp from it, but I think that approximately 850bhp will be more than enough for my needs. The transmission and almost whole drivetrain has to be replaced with stronger one etc.. but we'll speak about it later.”

After finishing the call, Ryuu ate some breakfast, dressed up and walked into his carage. Midnight Dragon was sitting in there. He touched the hood, that was still warm after the race. Ryuu could already see how much the new front spoiler would change the look. He wondered if he should put the car on diet, but he abandoned that idea soon. His car already had excellent power to weight ratio, and with the new engine he would be pretty close to F1 territory.

After few moments of lazy pondering, he opened the carage door and drove his car out. Supercharger's whirr covered other noises pretty well as he revved the engine, and as usual, neighbourhoods kids came running to him, begging for a ride and asking same questions again and again.
Some other day he would had been patiend and given the kids a short ride etc, but now he had an appointment at the bodyshop that had the task of creating him a new front bumper and rearwing with adjustable downforce. The kids were disappointed, but that was fixed with a show-style exit that included loads of wheelspin.

~Later~

Ryuu was in the shop. Arata, the designer of the bumper had shown him some sketches and glass-fiber mold that was still quite undetailed. Ryuu had given him some more instructions about the shapes and details that would direct the airflow more efficiently.
He was really pleased with the adjustable carbonfiber part that was going to create the downforce. His car would look and sound dramatically different on the notorious Wangan runs, and he was quite sure that he'd create quite a lot of stir in those petrolheads.

After some discussion with Arata, Ryuu left and headed to mountains. He already knew that he wasn't even near of the top Touge drivers of the area, but he was advancing towards them quite swiftly.He had heard that some of them had started looking over their shoulders, but Ryuu was still quite skeptical about that rumour.

He was driving along the road that he had raced last night, seeing the black tyre marks on the road. He could tell which were his and which had belonged to the crashed RX-8. “He had way too stiff and low suspension..” Ryuu said to himself, smiling a bit.
He pulled over at the crash site and stepped out of his car, walking to the spot where the RX-8 had stopped. There was chips of paint and pieces of plastic and glass. Then he walked to the spot where the RX-8 had started skidding uncontrollably. “He pushed too hard and wore out his tyres..” Ryuu shook his head. Luckily Ryoichi had understood that the crash was his own fault.

Ryuu was just sitting into the Starlet when he heard screech of tyres and deep rumble of exhaust. He looked over his shoulder and saw a blue, slightly modified R32 GT-R. “Ryuu, you old scoundrel! Returning to the scene of victory to bathe in the memories?” The driver of the R32 grinned, and Ryuu laughed.
“Hi Daichi. I see that you've heard of last night events..” Daichi nodded and grinned. “Ryoichi won't underestimate KP60's anymore, that's for sure. But, that's not the thing I'm here to talk about.”

Daichi got serious. “Ryuu, have you heard of Three Katana's?” Three Katana's was a team that was competing about the lead of local areas touge drivers with few other well known teams.
“TK? Yeah.. two S2000's and NSX Type R, right?” Daichi nodded and told Ryuu that the leader of TK was going to challenge him, since he had defeated Ryoichi, the last lone wolf outside of the top five teams.
“What? They're going to challenge me? Damn.. I never realised that I've got that far..”
Daichi patted Ryuu's shoulder. “Well, you've been too busy building up that doghouse of yours and beating other drivers with it. You've actually built a small hype around yourself.” Ryuu stared him, still shocked from the news. “Are you gonna accept the challenge?” Ryuu sighed, relaxing a bit. “ like I'd have a choice. Thanks for the heads up, Daichi. Maybe if you'd concentrate on your outdated playstation car instead of hunting gossips, you'd be on my place.” Daichi laughed. “ Maybe. But I'll let you go now.. 'outdated playstation car'.. man, I'm gonna get you for that one sooner or later.” Ryuu grinned, sitting into his car and sped off, towards the exciting future.

In next chapter Ryuu will be challenged into battle against Three Katanas! Don't miss it!

This post has been edited by FinToy-83 on Nov 24 2006, 10:36 AM
Meteor
Posted: Nov 22 2006, 09:27 PM

Cool.
thrett
Posted: Nov 22 2006, 09:51 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,478

this is real good man keep it up
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 24 2006, 10:33 AM

IDW Banned Member

Chapter 2: Midnight Dragon Vs. Three Street Samurai's

Ryuu drove to Hideaki's place as soon as he could. When he arrived, Akira and his father, Katashi, had already opened the door to their large garage, that was filled with all kind of equipment that was needed when tinkering around with cars. Ryuu drove his car in and stepped out of it, nodding to the masterminds behind his cars handling and performance.
“So, Ryuu, what kind of competition are you going to face this time?” Older Hideaki asked. Old racing drived knew what to do to make the car handle as he wished, and he had been helping Ryuu and Akira to update the Starlet's suspension into fully adjustable one.
“The best from Honda. Two S2000's and an NSX Type R.” Older Hideaki corrected his glasses slightly, as did his son. Ryuu had to suffocate a chuckle.

“They indeed are the best what Honda has to offer in terms of handling and performance. Lightweight, near perfect weight distribution, RWD..” Said Katashi, and Akira continued: “.. and they also have best engines of Honda's lineup, churning out 250bhp for S2K's and nearly 300 for NSX.” Ryuu nodded. He had considered Honda's powerplant for his car, but then brand loyalty knocked his wandering mind back on correct, TRD-powered track.

Older Hideaki coughed, awakening from his thoughts. “So, you'll need a fast setup then. The engine doesn't need any tweaks, your power to weight ratio should keep you ahead of them even if they've got some modifications.”
Ryuu nodded as he reached inside his car, opening the hood and trunk so Hideaki's could start their work. Akira pushed the car forwards a bit, placing it on the lifter.
“I'd like it to be pretty neutral on the entry, then have some slight oversteer towards the exit. The current setup is too neutral, it tends to push wide when driven hard. The rear is bit restless near the limit, especially in fast bumps.” Katashi nodded. “We have to concentrate on the rear suspension then. Akira, you start ahead, I have some things to discuss with Ryuu.”
Younger Hideaki nodded, lifting the car a bit and started removing the wheels. Ryuu walked out with Katashi.

“I heard you're planning to go on Wangan run, but you don't have enough powerful engine yet.” Katashi said, looking at the passing schoolgirls in their quite revealing school uniforms, grinning lopsidedly. Ryuu looked with equal interest, before snapping back to reality. “ Ah, right, that's true. I could squeeze out approximately 400 horsepowers from the current engine, but the durability would be compromised and then it wouldn't suit touge anymore.”
Katashi grunted, agreeing. “That is true. Your engine is a masterpiece, but it wasn't meant to do such power. But, if you're interested, I might have suitable engine available for cheaper price than you could get it.”

Ryuu was shocked. “ B-but Sir, are you sure of that? You don't even know what kind of engine I'm after..” Older Hideaki chuckled and patted Ryuu's shoulder. “Son, Akira mentioned the specifications you told him, and the engine what I've been keeping eye on could reach that output and even exceed it with ease.
Ryuu licked his lips. “ What kind of engine is it? You have to remember that it would be fitted into that tiny engine bay back there. “
Katashi nodded. “ It'll fit in there with ease, since it's very compact and lightweight unit. And I've already started building the engine during the weekends. But I think I can give you a hint: it displaces two liters, churns out 250bhp without factory fitted twinturbos, revs so high that even Honda would be envious.. and doesn't have cylinders.”

Ryuu grinned. “You know, Sir, you had read my mind.. actually, you probably got the engine which I had laid my eyes on. Isn't it the RE Amemiya's 20B unit?” Katashi nodded again, lighting a cigarette.”You're smart kid, Ryuu. That powerplant is ideal for this car. It's light, compact and has huge potential. I guess you'll go for forced induction?”
Ryuu nodded, although he wasn't quite sure. “I was planning to get two Variable Geometry Turbochargers for it so the lag wouldn't be so bad.” Katashi smiled approvingly.
“Smart kid..” Older Hideaki said, blowing the smoke out from his mouth. “Let's keep this as secret.. and make a deal.. if you beat those Hondas tonight, I'll build, install and finetune the engine for you, and you'll pay me the price I had to pay.”
Ryuu felt bit dizzy. “Are you serious? Why?”

Katashi chuckled a bit. “Well, actually, it's a part of a deal I made years ago with my boss when I stopped racing. I agreed with him that I'd seek out and help young drivers that have potential to become professional race drivers, guiding them towards the racing world. And, from my point of view, you're a rising star. I've kept an eye on you, and told my old boss about you. He's very impressed with your progress, and so am I.”
Ryuu looked into the garage, where Akira had already removed the rear wheels and adjusted the suspension.
“I don't know what to say. I never even thought about that chance before. Driving has been my hobby for years, and it'll be so for years ahead.” Katashi just listened silently, smashing the glowing remnants of his cigarette with his shoe, as Ryuu continued. “I'll keep the offer in mind, Sir. We'll see after the race if I'm able to fill your expectations.” Katashi nodded, and they returned to the carage.

~few hours later~

“There, that should do it..” Akira muttered, wiping off some sweat from his face, spreading some more of brakedust and dirt on it. The sun was setting already, and the time for the care crept closer swiftly. Ryuu sipped his coke, letting his mind wander as Katashi and Akira started to put the wheels back on place. Soon the starlet was standin on it wheels again, and Ryuu could see that the angles of rear geometry had been altered.
“It'll handle now as you wanted it to.” Katashi said, and Ryuu had no reason to doubt the former racing drivers words.
“Allright, I'll be off then. We'll know the outcome of the race within few hours.” Both Hideaki's nodded as he sat into his car, starting the engine and pulling out from the carage, then accelerated to the descending darkness, heading to the mountains.

~at the starting point~

The crowd was growing all the time, planty of more or less modified cars were in the parking lot nearby, and loud music was filling the air with the excited chatter of the spectators.
Three Katanas were there already, standing near their menacing looking cars. S2K's were really awesome with their hard-tops and carbonfibre parts, but even they were shadowed by the magnificent presence of the NSX, that was 1:1 replica of Mobil1 JGTC-car in it's pure white livery and widebodykit. It even had the airscoop feeding the air to the engine. The crowd fell silent as they heard the distant roar of engine and squealing from the tyres.

“Here he comes! The Midnight Dragon is here!” Someone yelled, and the air was suddenly so thick of excitement that it could had been cut with a knife. Soon, the crowd split apart as Ryuu drove to the parking lot, stopping his car in front of the Three Katanas. He turned off his engine, and for a moment, only thing everyone could hear was the crickets.

In the next chapter, the race begins between Ryuu and Three Katanas! Will Ryuu be able to fulfill Takeshi's expectations and earn the right to have the engine?

This post has been edited by FinToy-83 on Nov 24 2006, 12:44 PM
thrett
Posted: Nov 24 2006, 10:46 AM

IDW God Member

im liking this alot
hurry with the next chapter
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 24 2006, 10:57 AM

IDW Banned Member

thanks. I'll do my best to keep it rolling.
Meteor
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 01:47 AM

Awesome
Hachi_Roku
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 09:58 AM

¥5000 GET !!

Member No.: 8,897

keep it up man.... this is getting quite interesting.
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 26 2006, 03:46 PM

IDW Banned Member

Chapter 3:Surprises and privileges

Ryuu opened the door and stepped out from his car, looking at the members of Three Katana's. He was bit surprised as he noticed that they actually were girls.. or young, lightly and tightly dressed young women to be exact.

The driver of NSX, the leader of the team spoke to him. “My name is Akane, and this is my team, Three Katanas. Those two back there are my sisters, Emi and Hotaru.” Ryuu nodded, looking at the pretty racer triplet with interest, before answering. “My name is Ryuu Masaru, and I have no team. What are the rules of the race?”

Akane looked at him, then glanced at her smirking sisters, nodding. “ The rules are simple. Two runs down the course. First, we chase, then, you are the chaser. If you lose both events, you get nothing. But if you win both events.. You get this, 2 million yen bank note and... our phone numbers.”

Ryuu was just staring at them, and the crowd erupted into a storm of applauds and cheering. “Did you hear that? If Midnight Dragon manages to beat the Three Katana's, he gets 2 million yens and their phone numbers! Can you believe that?!” Ryuu managed to gather his concentration, or what was left of it and answered.
“I agree with these..uh.. terms.. you've set, and I'm ready to go when you are.” Akane nodded, then walked to her sisters, and they all laid mischievous looks at Ryuu's direction giggling and whispering to eachothers. He was pretty certain that this was a cunning trick to break his concentration, and he had to admit that he had fallen for it. “Damn.. Those sneaky little.. “, he muttered under his breath. His hands were sweating and shaking, and he had blushed fiercely. He glenched his hands into fists, grunting.

After a while he had managed to calm down. He was sipping his energy drink as Akane returned to him, smiling sweetly. “Are you and your car ready, Mr. Masaru?” She asked, and Ryuu nodded, tossing away the empty can. “In that case, we shall start. See you at the bottom, Mr.Masaru..”Akane chuckled and walked to her car, sitting into it and closing the door.

Ryuu drove his car to the starting line, followed by three Honda's. He tightened his seatbelts, checked his mirrors. He could already feel himself as the prey, and those three were the predators. He started to rev his engine as the countdown started, and as the count reached zero, air was filled with the howl of of race-bred engines and burnt rubber.

Back in the town, Katashi was standing outside his house with Akira. They could hear the howl of the engines and tires. “It has started..” Katashi tossed away his cigarette. Akira looked a bit worried. “Do you think he can pull it off, father?” Takashi glanced at his son. “Well, if he can't win, then the fault is partially yours, young man. You are responsible of his suspension setup, are you not?” Akira snapped at him.
“That's why I'm worried, old fool! You might have been a top notch racing driver back then, but now you're just old geezer who drools after schoolgirls and -OW!” Katashi had slapped him to head. “Show a little respect to this old geezer, who still beats you in every category when it comes to automotive knowledge!” Akira pouted and rubbed his head. “ Did you have to use the hand which had the ring..?” Older Hideaki just laughed and walked inside their house.

The beginning of the course was pretty steep downhill, so Ryuu had an advantage. His car's light weight made it nimble, and thanks to the compact size he was able to drive the hairpins as he wanted. The suspension setup didn't work so well in these tight corners. He had to toss the car into a slide every now and then to keep up his speed. He was pretty certain that the Katanas would try pass him at the highspeed section.

“They're quite fast here too, and they can keep up with me even though I'm not going flat out yet. This will be interesting one..” He thought as his car roared past cheering groups of crowd. “So fast! GO, Midnight Dragon, GO! You can do it!” One of his supporters yelled.

Ryuu didn't know it, but the Three Katana's could discuss with eachother via radio headsets they had. They were observing his lines closely, discussing of best method to catch and pass him. “Emi, Hotaru, we have no other choice. We have to pass him in the high speed section. His car is too quick in this part of the course.”
Hotaru and Emi agreed, but they haven't yet decided the attack point or formation. They kept chasing the Midnight Dragon, who was almost avoiding their headlights every now and then. “You're nimble and quick in the twisties, little one.. but we'll show you the power of Three Katana's at the straightaways!”

There were few people in the last serpentine section with videocameras. They had climbed on top of the walls so they could get clear shot to the cars when they would drift thru this section. Few times there had been crashes, but otherwise they had captured pretty amazing shots of sweet drifts in this section.
Now they were there to catch a glimpse of the legendary Midnight Dragon. They haven't had any footage of this newcomer yet, but the way he had worked his way thru tougher and tougher opponents had made an impression in the local underground racing magazine.
Their reporters were always there where street ravcing occurred, and they got interviews and videos whenever they coul, distributing them in the internet. Soon they got what they wanted as they heard the screeches of the tyres.

“Here he comes, Kohaku! Get ready with that cam!” The older reporter shouted. “ We must get him on the film, no matter what he drives!” Kohaku, the fresh addition to the staff of WTCR-magazine*, nodded eagerly and got into position. Soon they could see the headlights flashing as the cars got closer, and suddenly, there they were.

Kohaku hit the record-button, filming everything as the older reporter started to talk into microphone. “Finally we get a glimpse of mysterious racer called Midnight Dragon, who has worked his way thru hard opponents! As you can see, he's now entering the serpentine section, and as he enters the light, we can finally identify his car! Sounds like it has four-cylinder engine, with forced induction. But what is that whine at lower revs? Could it be super- and turbocharged? Well, that shall be answered in the interview.”
The reporter said, gasping air before continuing. “ And now he starts the drift.. That is a small, nimble car.. Could it be a hachiroku, a common choice for touge..? No, it's smaller.. it's.. what the.. that's a.. it's a KP60 Starlet?! And it's staying ahead of Three Katans with ease, sliding thru corners like a WRC car! This is amazing! The Three Katanas are far behind! This might mean that there's a new number five on this area!”

Kohaku concetrated on keeping the focus on the Starlet which slided thru corners gracefully. The older reporter went on into a frenzy, spitting out words like a machine gun.”..he has cleared the serpentine section, and what an acceleration! Of course, his car is very light and this is downhill, so he has an advantage and he uses it as well as he can! What a car! What a driver!”
As the Starlet vanished behind the corner, he switched to the chasers. They looked so slow and clumsy when compared to the KP60's dynamic movements. But they were bigger cars, so the difference wasn't really that bad. Soom they roared out from the serpentine section, chasing the Midnight Dragon fiercely. “..and there goes the Three Katanas, doing their best to keep up with the KP60.”

The reporter stopped, and nodded to Kohaku who stopped filming.He was bit startled. “..Sir, I know the driver of that KP60.” The reporter looked amazed. “Really? How?” Kohaku looked bit regretful that he had opened his mouth. “Well, he's my big brother's best friend. My father and brother helped to design the engine and suspension of that car, and they also adjusted it.” The older reporter looked puzzled. “So you're saying that Katashi, also known as The Surgeon, has his hands in this?” Kohaku nodded. “He was at our carage today too, so I guess so..” The older man chuckled. “No wonder then, that this guy's car handles so well.. Well, let's go down to the base. The next run will probably solve this race.”

Just like Ryuu had thought, Hondas started closing in as soon as the fast section started. He smiled grimly and finally dared to press the pedal to the metal, and Midnight Dragon leaped forwards, roaring, hissing and spitting flames from it's exhaust.

“Damn.. he's fast on straightaways too! Floor it, sisters, floor it! We can't lose to that old shopping bag!” Akane yelled into the radio, gritting her teeths as she urged her NSX to run faster. Old Toyota seemd to be getting smaller ahead of them, as they didn't dare to add speed as much as the smaller car could. “Damn it! It's up to second run now!” She yelled out of frustration.

~half an hour later~

Ryuu was drinking thirstily. The first run had been intense, but he had won it with a nice margin. The Three Katanas weren't smiling and giggling any longer. Instead they were shooting angry glares at him, and it was his turn to smile widely and wave at them. Then he looked at his car. The hood was open since the engine temperature had gone pretty high during the race. Obviously the coolant fluid was getting old. “Well, if I win this last run, i will have no money problems for a while and you'll get as much coolant as you want.” He said, patting the valve cover, almost burning his fingers.

“That guy caught us off guard, sisters. We underestimated his and his car's abilities.” Emi looked at their challenger. “I don't know.. I won't mind giving my number to him, he's kinda cute, you know..” She giggled with Hotaru, and only Akane wasn't amused. “Baka! It also means that we can't have those upgrades yet. If there will be another challenger, we might end up falling to seventh team or even further!” Emi snorted. “ Maybe that's what I want! I want to meet boys and have social life instead of laying under car while trying to avoid getting oil into my face!” Hotaru nodded as well, and Akane sighed. “Oh come on, you two, would you really get this excitement from cuddling and dating with boys? I think not. No matter if we win or lose this race, I promise that we'll keep a month long break from racing so you two can 'socialice' with boys.” Two younger sisters cheered at this decision, and they ran off to their cars.

Ryuu closed the hood as Akane walked to him. “Ready to chase our tails, Mr.Masaru?” Ryuu nodded and winked with a grin. “I'll do my best, miss.” He actually managed to make Akane blush, and she ran quickly to her car, followed by Ryuu's laughter.

~15 minutes later~

Kohaku Hideaki had already aimed the videocamera at the end of the final straight. The engine sounds were getting stronger quickly, and he couldn't tell which ones were louder, the F1-like how of Hondas or the raw snarl and whistles of the twincharged Toyota.

“This is the final run that solves the race! As you can see, we're at the final straight before the goal, and we can hear the roar of the engines getting closer. Which one is in the lead, the chaser or the chased?” Suddenly, loud pop and screeching could be heard, ending into plastic twin crunch that echoed from the walls of the mountain.
“ Oh no, I think there was a crash! But wait.. Judging from the sounds, atleast the NSX and Toyota are still running on full throttle, so then it must be the S2K's that have been in accident! I hope their drivers are okay.”
Then, the NSX and Starlet came on the final straight side by side, accelerating like there would be no tomorrow. The NSX was more aerodynamic, but tiny Toyota had better power to weight ratio, and slowly it slipped ahead of the NSX, winning the race by half cars length. The NSX stopped quickly, and Akane got off from her car. “Call a towing service and an ambulance, Emi and Hotaru had a crash! “

Ryuu walked to Akane, who was still talking to radio. “ What happened? Are they hurt?” Akane turned to him, looking a bit relieved. “ They're okay. Emi's tyre failed and she crashed to Hotaru, pushing them both into wall. Luckily it was at hairpin so the speed wasn't too high.” She sighed. “ The repairs are going to take a while.. I think we will be out of the scene for a month.” Ryuu nodded. Then akane took the bank note, and piece of paper, writing their numbers on it. “Agreement is an agreement, and there was so many witnesses that I can not back out from this even though we would need the money now..” She handed the papers to Ryuu, who gave her a hug. “ You're a true racer, Akane. Keep going and you'll earn money for repairs in no time.” Akane was bit shocked, but recovered soon and hugged back shyly.

Back in the town, a phone rang. Katashi answered, and he was slightly surprised as he heard familiar voice from his racing career. They discussed shortly before ending the call. Akira was persistently staring his father until katashi gave up. “ He won the race, got the money and possibly got a girl too.” Akira's mouth hung open. “WHAAAA...?!” Katashi sighed and lit a cigarette. He would be busy for a week, preparing that engine for Midnight Dragon. “Soon that car will really breathe fire..”

In the next chapter, Midnight Dragon gets the new engine and bodykit, and of course, during the tests, new competitor appears! And how will Ryuu deal with the girls he just defeated?

*Wangan-, Touge- and CityRacers-magazine

This post has been edited by FinToy-83 on Nov 26 2006, 03:57 PM
Meteor
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 01:37 AM

Cool

<please, say a little bit more than this; one-word replies are spam. -NW>

EDIT: You should definitely continue this.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Nov 27 2006, 08:47 PM
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 27 2006, 10:11 AM

IDW Banned Member

yes, longer replies would be nice, and some thoughts too if there's something to improve in the story or grammar. happy.gif
Force Fed Mopar
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:23 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 8,033

Dude this is one of the best fanfics I've read in here IMO. I'm really interested in this one, keep it up! Nice car choice too BTW.
thrett
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 08:13 PM

IDW God Member

its a little different but thats why its good
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 27 2006, 09:35 PM

IDW Banned Member

Thanks! now that I got the story rolling, the new chapters seem to be larger. I'll try to keep updating as often as I can without sacraficing the quality. happy.gif
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 29 2006, 03:18 PM

IDW Banned Member

Chapter 4: Newborn Dragon's first kills

It had been a week since Ryuu had defeated Three Katana's. The following day he had visited the bank, taking the money from the bank note and then drove to bodyshop. Arata had been waiting him already, since he had also his sources when it came to underground racing scene. Ryuu had helped the staff to install the new front bumper and rear spoiler, that had been painted already with the same flip paint that was applied on the rest of the car. After the job was finished, he had discussed for a while with Arata, before paying for the work and driving off, heading to Hideaki's household, where the new engine and gearbox had been waiting for installation.

Katashi had prepared the engine while Ryuu had been in the bodyshop. Akira had checked the wiring and electronics just before Ryuu arrived. They decided not to rush with the project and took four days to complete the engine swap. The old engine would still be used for daily driving and mountain pass runs, since it had more than sufficient power for that purpose.

Ryuu slipped on the bucket seat, feeling bit nervous. It was time to start up the new engine. He turned on the ignition and pressed the big, red start button. Short whirr of start engine was quickly drowned by deep, throaty growl of 2l wankel engine. Ryuu smiled and blipped the throttle few times, hearing the audible swoosh as the smaller VGT spooled up instantly. Akira opened the passanger side door and sat on the seat, strapping himself and plugged his laptop on the OBD-socket.

Akira fiddled with the ECU settings for a while. “Allright, we're good to go for shakedown. Let's go.” Ryuu nodded and pressed the clutch down. He was surprised how heavy it felt. He selected first gear and lifted his foot slowly, figuring out where the clutch started to grip before he applied more throttle. The car shuddered a bit before it started to roll, and from that on it was bit easier to drive.

Ryuu headed to the nearest highway, listening the cars new soundtrack with a wide smile. He also tried some sharp accelerations, and he wasn't disappointed as the car leapt forwards as if the God would had been pushing it from behind. Akira kept telling him the specs of the engine and gearbox.

“Were now on low boost mode, resulting as 640bhp at rear wheels when boost scramble is on. On high boost this car has 895bhp on boost scramble, and if you'll put high octane fuel, you can add about thirty bhp to those readings.” Ryuu nodded numbly. He wasn't able to even imagine such power under his right foot, and yet, he was going to call them all on duty when they'd enter the highway.

Akira kept his eye on the laptop's screen, looking at various readings from the engine. Everything was within limits so far. He wondered for a while why the boost didn't build up, until he realized what was wrong. Ryuu was shifting too early. “Ryuu, this engine is ported, so the idle is pretty high, about 2000rpms or so, and it'll rev to 13 000 rpms. So you need to rev it way higher than you're used to. If you drive this car with this engine as you drive with the old one, you're practically rolling on idle rpms, and that's not good.” Ryuu nodded. He should had realized that himself. He pressed the throttle bit more, and the cars movement got more eager as the smaller variable geometry turbo started to work properly.

Finally they reached the ramp that led to the highway. Ryuu grinned to Akira. “ I'ts been a while since you last were on the passanger seat. If you thought it was wild ride back then, you'd better say your prayers now..” Ryuu downshifted to second gear, and the boost meter leaped up to maximum reading. “..because now this Dragon will fly!”. Akira had barely time to pull breath as Ryuu floored the throttle.

On that instant, the tires lit up, propelling the car forwards at mind-blurring speed. Third gear followed quite soon, and so did the fourth. They were way past 150mph, and still accelerating hard. There was intoxicating surge of power as the bigger VGT came into play, kicking the tiny car forwards as it would had been strapped on a jet-engine. The cabin was full of hiss of the turbos and howl of the race-bred rotary engine. Other cars were just momentary blurs as they were passed. Ryuu noticed that the last third gears were meant for top speed when using the high boost mode. They were doing 170mph on fifth gear, and revs weren't even near of the redline.

The car was suprisingly stable at that speed. The wind whistled past them as they kept going, and when Ryuu spotted a proper, miles long straight, he pressed the boost scramble button.

And the next thing could only be described as if the air resistance would had been dropped by half. Larger VGT's hiss turned into forceful swoosh and with ease, Midnight Dragon passed 220mph, still on fifth gear. Ryuu squeezed the steering wheel hard, knowing well that if the car would lose control at this speed, their pieces would be scattered along the road faster than he could sneeze. Slowly he backed off from the throttle, slowing down to more reasonable speed, before pulling over to fuel station.

“If that's how low boost feels, then the high boost will be..” Ryuu shook his head. He felt unreal, like he'd still be sleeping. He had just passed speed that belonged to supercars and racecars, the likes of Ferrari and F1. Akira was in equal state. Now he knew why his father had been smirking when they had left the carage. He knew that the new performance of this car would blow their minds away. The sixth gear was good for 250mph+, he knew that one now. His father hadn't said a thing about the gearing, or the possible top speed.

“That mad old man.. I'm certain that he knew how fast this thing would run, since he ran with similar setup back in the 80's and 90's. “ Ryuu sipped his coffee, glancing out from the window. His car had got some admirers around it. New bumper and rearspoiler/diffuser were quite subtle, but for enthusiasts, they were a lighthouse that was speaking loudly about the performance. “Come on. Time for high boost test.” Akira looked like he'd chicken out, but with a sigh, he stood up and followed Ryuu back to the Starlet. They had to make their way thru some other petrolheads that were looking at his car. They couldn't believe that this old shoppingbag had such immense power.

Akira tinkered with the ECU again. Later the laptop would be replaced by more simple system that would be operated via display and few buttons for different ECU programs. But for these test runs the laptop was good enough to do the job. When he had finished, he nodded to Ryuu and they were back on wangan again.

Akira explained what kind of methods were and could be used to adjust the power of the engine. “First off, VGT's are electronically controlled. By adjusting the vanes in the turbine, we can make the turbos come in slower, smoothening out all sudden power spikes. Or then, they can be opened fully, creating bit more lag and a clear kick in the power. Of course, it can be everything between these two extreme ends.”
Ryuu nodded, listening the engine more than Akira's explanation. There was a small difference in the engine note too. Pressing the throttle didn't result as sharp surge of power. “Could it be adjusted so that the vanes position would be linked to the position of the throttle? That way it would be easier to control the power, atleast for me.” Akira nodded. “ I can do that at the carage.”

Ryuu tightened his grip from the wheel as he noticed two cars approaching them at very high speed. They passed him in a blink of an eye, and he barely had time to recognize them. “Woah! That was R33.. and fourth gen Supra!” Akira barely had time to open his mouth. “ You're not going to rrrraaaaAAAAAA....!” The rest of Akira's objection was mixed into shout of horror as Ryuu floored the throttle. And after very brief hesitation, the car leaped forwards with such force that their heads were pressed firmly against the headrests, while tyres chirped under the tremendous forces they had to deliver to road. Ryuu was quickly going thru the gears, shifting near 13 000 rpms, laughing like a madman. “That's not a throttle pedal, it's a hyperspace switch!” He yelled as they started to gain on the two quick coupes. Akira just rolled his eyes.

Ahead of Ryuu and Akira, battle was raging between eternal enemies. Twinturbo inline sixes roared as their drivers were using every single horsepower they could squeeze out to get faster. But in this case, the GT-R driver had bit more to lose than the douchebag in Supra, because he had his girlfriend sitting next to him. The girl was pale and she held her seatbelt so tight that her knuckles were white. The driver of the GT-R, British exchange student and GT-R enthusiast called Sam stared the road ahead of them, glancing at the Supra every now and then. “Don't worry, Mako! We'll shake that douchebag off soon.” He said, flashing a confident smile to the girl next to him.

“B-but Pink's a professional wangan racer! This is madness, Sam! You don't need to impress me like this!” Mako said. “He talked rudely of you, Mako. I will not allow such even if he's your ex, allright? Just let me settle this between me and him.” Sam said. His car, R33 GT-R N1'95, had more than 500bhp, and had small bits and pieces from Mine's and HKS. Their speeds were climbing past 170mph when he noticed the set of bright blue headlights closing in. “ What the..?”

Pink had noticed it too. He did his best to squeeze every single bit of horsepower out of his Supra, just like Sam did in his GT-R. “ I'm not gonna lose to some unknown brat on wangan! I'm driving a Supra for f**k's sake!!” He shouted in rage as the speedo's needle slipped past 190mph. He could already hear the high-pitched howl of the rotary unit. “What the hell is that? Mazda RX-7 or RX-8?” He asked from himself as he kept his feet buried on the floor, when the car slowed down and matched the speed with them, accompanied by loud whistle from it's BOV's.

For a second the odd trio was cruising at 200mph. Sam and Pink were in utter shock as Ryuu decided to leave them alone with their childish sandbox fight. He floored the throttle, pressing the boost scramble, causing the light car to leap forwards as if the Supra and GT-R would be doing mere 30mph. Sam and Pink could only stare as the 26 years old econobox left them behind, backfire flickering in it's twin exhausts as Ryuu shifted to sixth gear.

~few minutes later~

Pink had eased off the throttle from the shock, and had taken a ramp off the highway, giving up on the chase as soon as the KP60's rearlights had vanished to the horizon. “What the hell was all that about?” Sam wondered. He had heard from his friend Daichi, that certain Starlet that was known as Midnight Dragon on the touge-scene, would do some test runs on wangan soon. “So that's Midnight Dragon, Daichi..? No wonder that you talked to respectfully of it..” He mumbled as he turned to the ramp and drove Mako to her home.

“Mako, I'm sorry about that, I really am. I hope you can forgive me.” Mako smiled slightly. “Well, that was nothing new to me, Sam-kun. Pink was like that too.. but he didn't apologize afterwards. Thanks for the exciting night, Sam.” She said, placing a light, innocent kiss on Sam's cheek, completely erasing his mind in the process. “Nighty night, Sam.” She giggled and ran into her house, leaving the British boy wondering what he had done right. Then he picked up his phone, and called to Daichi. He wanted to know more about this fire breathing monster called Midnight Dragon.

Daichi's R32 was waiting at Ryuu's house as he returned. He parked his car in the driveway, opening the door. Daichi was already walking towards him. “So, you're finally made your first appearance on wangan, haven't you?” Daichi asked. Ryuu grinned widely. “Yeah, we did the first test runs today, destroying fourth gen Supra and R33 in the process.” Daichi lifted his eyebrows. “So it was you after all, who left Sam and Pink biting your dust. You know, they have nearly 600bhp under their hood, and their cars are way more aerodynamic than yours.. and still, Sam told me that you left them standing at 200mph.. So what the hell have you chuffed under your hood, a V8 or something?” Ryuu laughed. “Nothing that vulgar. Come, let's push this baby to the carage and I'll show you.”

After pushing the car inside, Ryuu turned on the lights and opened the new carbonfibre hood that was painted like the rest of the car. Daichi just stared at the engine bay. “What the.. is that 20B? And Borg-Warner turbos.. are they VGT's?” Ryuu nodded and Daichi sighed. “And I thought that you were incredibly fast on mountain passes.. Anyways, Sam asked me to find out what you had done to your car.”
Ryuu smiled a bit. “ I hope he's not a sore loser. He just didn't stand a chance back then. We were testing high boost program, and then, added the boost scramble into the mix.” Daichi laughed. “Naw, he's British and a gentleman on the road. Do you dare to tell me how much power this engine developes?”

Ryuu was smiling almost evilly. “Well, on low boost mode and with boost scramble enabled, the rearwheels are delivering 640bhp. On high boost mode, we're talking of 895bhp on pump gas.” Daichi looked at him, not certain if his friend was joking or not. “And according to Katashi, with high octane race fuel I'd be looking 920 bhp.” Daichi was silent for a while, before he asked about the old engine.

“What about the twincharged 4A-GE? Are you going to sell it or..?” Ryuu shook his head. “It will still be used in Touge runs. We need to improve some stuff before moving deeper to Wangan racing. Yes, I'd be competitive already on Wangan, but I like Touge more.. Wangan is more about horsepower than driver skill.” Daichi nodded, looking at the car more closely. “Carbonfibre hood.. What else is new?” Ryuu started listing the new stuff in the car.
“The doors, underbody is flat now, with diffusers at the back. Gearbox is new, and if Akira's estimate was correct, the ratios won't end before 250mph. The engine revs up to 13 000 rpms, and the idle is ridiculously high. The traction is a severe problem, or more like the lack of it. I said to Katashi that I was tempted to get ATTESA-system from a Pulsar Gti-R. We have to see how the drivetrain can handle the stress.” Daichi was impressed. He knew that Ryuu had some ambitions, but this was pretty insane even for ambitious young man. He decided to change the subject.

“BTW, I heard that you're going out with Akane.” Ryuu blushed and stuttered. “E-errmm.. well.. kinda.. I.. I mean we don't.. you know..” Daichi laughed. That was more like the usual Ryuu he knew. “No sweat, it's not my business. All I can say is that you're damn lucky, dating a successful female racer that drives an NSX.” Ryuu just bit his lip, looking away. Daichi laughed again, patting his shoulder and left.

The next morning Ryuu was awakened by the phone. It was Akane. “Good morning, sleepyhead! Time to rise and shine!” Ryuu's audible groan resulted as a cheerful giggles at the other end. “Now now, Ryuu-kun, you remember that we have date today, don't you?” Ryuu grunted something. Akane was indeed a determined young woman. She knew what she wanted, and did her best to make it happen.
“Yeah, I do remember. I just had a long night.” Akane laughed, “So I've heard. Defeating 500bhp+ Supra and GT-R on first outing is not a bad achievement for that cute car of yours.” Ryuu simply ignored the tease, sighing. “I'll pick you up at quarter to 11, ok?” Akane agreed and closed the phone. Ryuu looked at the clock. “7:30.. oh well..” He got up from the bed and went to shower.

Ryuu's heavily modified KP60 stopped at Akane's apartment. He knew that blaring the horn wouldn't get any points from Akane, so he blipped the throttle slightly. Rev's shot up to 13k rpms, and as he eased off the throttle, whistle from the blow off valve and the loud backfire turned loads of heads in the neighbourhood. Akane peeked out of the window, then vanished, just to rush out of the door seconds later.

“What the heck was that? Did 787B pass by or something?” She asked from Ryuu, who just grinned and blipped the rev-happy engine's gas pedal once more. Akane's cheeks blushed as she realised that this car had finally transformed to a real dragon. “Please, can we go on highway, pretty please, Ryuu-kun? And what are the engine specs? Does it still have supercharger and boost scramble?” Ryuu laughed as they drove off, answering to her questions as well as he could. It would be a day that Akane wouldn't forget soon.

In the next chapter, our hero returns to touge scenery as he get's challenged by the team number four, the Cheetah brothers. Daichi's R32 gets some minor updates inspired by Ryuu's KP60, and Pink returns with revenge.

there we go. new chapter, new comments I hope. happy.gif
thrett
Posted: Nov 30 2006, 12:24 AM

IDW God Member

another great chapter
so your going to keep swapping engines
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 30 2006, 04:16 AM

IDW Banned Member

Why in the hell I would like to swap RB26DETT into something inferior? God's car has that engine! Daichi's car will just get some small improvements over his current setup.
Meteor
Posted: Nov 30 2006, 08:40 AM

Getting better and better. It's certainly better than my fic now. Just proofread it a bit more. In one part, you actually made a character say BTW. Anyway, take as much time as you need on the next chapter. Good stuff is never rushed.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Nov 30 2006, 08:44 AM
thrett
Posted: Nov 30 2006, 09:13 AM

IDW God Member

i meant that every time he does a mountain race he's going back to his 4A-GE
FinToy-83
  Posted: Nov 30 2006, 09:58 AM

IDW Banned Member

ah, yes, that's right.

and sorry about the BTW, it was around 4 in the morning when I finisheed writing so it slipped.. sweatingbullets.gif
thrett
Posted: Nov 30 2006, 02:04 PM

IDW God Member

yo dont swet it
FinToy-83
  Posted: Dec 1 2006, 10:00 AM

IDW Banned Member

i won't there will be new chapter during this weekend. please, be patient.

7 Pages  1 2 3 »