Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - U.S.A.

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 8,961  ·  Replies: 85 
> My nissan GTR r35, I hope I wont turn into a Nakazato
Tessou
Posted: Nov 27 2015, 02:28 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

A "former tuner" would have zero reason to buy another ancient car.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 27 2015, 02:34 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Which is, again, why the answer to my question is, 'you buy a car where the work has already been done for you'.

Ding! Moving on.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 27 2015, 02:40 PM

Group Icon

What work are you talking about? New cars are new cars, there's no work done.
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 27 2015, 03:08 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I just want to point out that a 4age is a miserable little pile of zero torque, and a 4ac isn't that far behind.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 27 2015, 10:41 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Tessou @ 7 hours, 58 minutes ago)
What work are you talking about? New cars are new cars, there's no work done.

That's the point. If your solution is 'buy a brand new GTR', then it's because the work has already been done for you. Same with buying a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or a Lotus or a Viper or anything else. You are buying into not needing to do work.

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 7 hours, 30 minutes ago)
I just want to point out that a 4age is a miserable little pile of zero torque, and a 4ac isn't that far behind.

4A-C is quite a ways behind actually, though I will agree that the 4A-GE has basically no torque. My first RWD driving experience was in a 'Rolla and it shocked me just how slow it was until the owner told me to stop shifting under 5k. laugh2.gif
xiao
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 12:41 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

Wasn't the Rolla~Hachi turned into a JGTC car at one point? unsure.gif

Stock... even J-Spec, it's nothing much to gawk at. But that little frame/body in the hands of a capable tuner *cough*RUF GmbH*cough* can morph into an S2K slayer; not that I'd know personally. But just by looking at an 86 in person, you can feel that that small little Toyo-turtle has the shell of an Atom Bomb~ ♥
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
r35gtr
  Posted: Nov 28 2015, 01:12 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,063

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 8:49 AM)
Maybe it's because I'm not buying $30k+ cars, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you on that one. Depending on the vehicle there could be a lot of headroom for power on stock components. I happen to be driving an example where the factory overengineered the drivetrain but set the wastegate to 0.5 bar instead of 1 bar and set the fuel map accordingly. Sure the argument is 'reliability', but if all it takes is a new fuel map and a boost controller and you have a significantly faster car without any difference in risk as far as blowing the motor goes, why not?

I think of it like overclocking CPUs. Some CPUs have lots of thermal headroom and love to be overclocked. Some have basically none and attempting to overclock them will fry 'em. A blanket statement like 'nothing beats stock reliability' and saying that no car should be tuned simply because of one bad experience just goes to show you should have more experiences. wink2.gif

your post made me smile because it is like reading my own opinion 10 years ago. I will not argue with you because I understand what you feel.

about the components being over engineered and such with high tolerances is because the car companies would like their 305hp car to last at least 100,000 miles with out any warranty issues.

again I tuned two subaru sti's up to 420whp and sure it ran fine for 20,000miles then something comes up. the hoses started to break, some leaks here and there, etc. etc

it is fun to leave expensive cars to dust . it is fun while it lasts.

then comes the time where in you have to sell your car. buyers tend to shy away from tuned cars. at least this is my experience.

So i decided, why not just buy a fast car with warranty and leave it like that. then if a faster car comes along. work my ass off and buy it instead of tune my current car to leave it to dust.

again I understand your passion for tuning I really do. the increment increase in horsepower, the 10th of a second reduced in the drag strip. the seconds reduced in the track. I do get it because I've been there. the sound of the BOV, of the wire mesh filter sucking air. it is addictive. The meet ups of fellow tuners where in you pop the hood . funny thing about these meet ups, very few are brave enough to drag race . why is that?

my tuner is quite good, they have tuned some fantastic cars. again as I have said, they will act like your best friend but when something bad happens (breakdown in a free way), they will avoid you... like you are a zombie
xiao
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 02:07 AM

moon bunny

^ I think Nomake's referring more to the fun aspect of fluxing with your capacitor~ but that's totally relatable man; you have a family, a business, and time's a luxury... it's all about what you want; there's no this is better than that with cars, just like computers. I bought a little flip~flop Alienware without an SSD or a water cooler, why? Cause I didn't feel like building a PC a couple of months back. But when I get that Mobius feeling in my bones again, and wanna BassHunt some SAO kiwis, & hook up all sorts of midi interfaces to this piece of junk... then I'll build my own rig, and knock my weeanerd self to my hearts content~

When I start feeling like Kitami as opposed to Akio... then I'll probably buy a set of Craftsmans, a hydro lift, and cover my face with greasemonkeys.

But right now, I'm exactly under your same state of mind. Which is the reaason I didn't buy a 2012 Zed. happy.gif
sushiyummy32
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 04:12 AM

DotA Kiwi

Member No.: 45,824

QUOTE (xiao_la @ 2 hours, 5 minutes ago)
^ I think Nomake's referring more to the fun aspect of fluxing with your capacitor~ but that's totally relatable man; you have a family, a business, and time's a luxury... it's all about what you want; there's no this is better than that with cars, just like computers. I bought a little flip~flop Alienware without an SSD or a water cooler, why? Cause I didn't feel like building a PC a couple of months back. But when I get that Mobius feeling in my bones again, and wanna BassHunt some SAO kiwis, & hook up all sorts of midi interfaces to this piece of junk... then I'll build my own rig, and knock my weeanerd self to my hearts content~

When I start feeling like Kitami as opposed to Akio... then I'll probably buy a set of Craftsmans, a hydro lift, and cover my face with greasemonkeys.

But right now, I'm exactly under your same state of mind. Which is the reaason I didn't buy a 2012 Zed. happy.gif

Isnt buying a prebuilt better than buying a alienware? You pay extra for the brand.
xiao
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 04:40 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (sushiyummy32 @ 27 minutes, 30 seconds ago)
Isnt buying a prebuilt better than buying a alienware? You pay extra for the brand.

Yeps yeps, Alienwares are prebuilt PC's~ xD
Tessou
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 10:09 AM

Group Icon

Weird how buying one of the expensive cars is considered "washing your hands of work", but buying a Focus RS and not touching it labels you as a pleb newbie faggot.
sushiyummy32
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 12:10 PM

DotA Kiwi

QUOTE (Tessou @ 2 hours, 1 minutes ago)
Weird how buying one of the expensive cars is considered "washing your hands of work", but buying a Focus RS and not touching it labels you as a pleb newbie faggot.

Its a status thing. A focus doesn't cost 180k new NZD
Tessou
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 12:18 PM

Group Icon

So true. I dove out of the tuning "thing" specifically because I hate the obsession with image and status.
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 03:28 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Tessou @ 3 hours, 9 minutes ago)
So true. I dove out of the tuning "thing" specifically because I hate the obsession with image and status.

Whatever happened to modifying cars purely to make them more enjoyable? I have never made a modification for "status".

I've got a fairly rare car, it's fairly fast, and at least in my opinion, fairly pretty. It's low, it's striking, it's loud. I may have brought it out for a date or two in the past, but I don't show it off. It spends maybe 350 days in a garage. The other 15 are going to, from, or around a race track or other car event.

This post has been edited by MetalMan777 on Nov 28 2015, 03:30 PM
Tessou
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 03:47 PM

Group Icon

Not much I would do to an old car to make it more "enjoyable" than it already is. I felt like most of my cars were perfect the way they were, warts and all.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 28 2015, 08:19 PM

ShiMACHaze

Can't. I mean I've never driven any of the old cars you had, so I have zero experience from your perspective, but every car I've had I've enjoyed but wanted more out of and worked towards making it happen. The SVX was an ongoing project with computerized modifications. Both Zs were destined for turbo dreams and limited-slip differentials. The Capri had a new ECU and boost controller within one month of owning it (and that's awesome). Had the Maverick not started to disintegrate it would've had a V8 under that hood eventually.

The Contour was probably the only 'old' car I had that I didn't care about modifying, but that's because I didn't give a shit about the Touge Taxi. Hated that car. laugh2.gif

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Nov 28 2015, 08:19 PM
sushiyummy32
Posted: Nov 29 2015, 12:22 AM

DotA Kiwi

some people tune because they are curious and want to learn. some want to drive fast or get a better feeling on the track etc etc. some just want to say "ohh look at my tuned car with my k&n cone air filter and look at this new turbo i put in that produces 10000000000 PSI boost and i didnt put blow off valve in so it makes the cool PSH sound". Really depends on the people who are criticizing you for not tuning your car.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 29 2015, 03:56 AM

ShiMACHaze

If you can install a turbo on a car that does not have one, I'd say that puts you way over the leagues of those who claim to 'tune' by installing a cone filter.
xiao
Posted: Nov 29 2015, 06:46 AM

moon bunny

After I saw Fast & the Furious 1 and heard the phrase 'tuned my ride' right as I was walking outside the Cinemark, I said to myself... well I guess these guys are really into music, if they're going so deep into tuning... I mean, to me a radio's a radio~ derp.gif
Shirogane
Posted: Nov 29 2015, 07:53 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Tessou @ Nov 26 2015, 11:14 PM)
Just get a Hypermotard and never get bothered by other bikes again. They don't look like sport bikes and they're odd enough that kids won't try to steal it.

That or any Triumph Triple. $8000 of sex.

I'll admit that I bought the 9er just because I really don't want to file a report for a stolen bike, but I wouldn't mind having something a bit bigger, lately.

I guess the Super Blackbird is rubbing off on me, heh.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 29 2015, 08:33 PM

Group Icon

There is a 1100XX for sale here. Bring money.
Shirogane
Posted: Nov 30 2015, 11:15 AM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 9:33 PM)
There is a 1100XX for sale here. Bring money.

Right, time to sell the 9er... And an organ.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind riding a Blackbird - the only thing I would change would be the height of the rearsets.

This post has been edited by Shirogane on Nov 30 2015, 11:22 AM
JKaiba
Posted: Dec 1 2015, 04:17 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

QUOTE (sushiyummy32 @ Nov 29 2015, 12:22 AM)
some people tune because they are curious and want to learn. some want to drive fast or get a better feeling on the track etc etc. some just want to say "ohh look at my tuned car with my k&n cone air filter and look at this new turbo i put in that produces 10000000000 PSI boost and i didnt put blow off valve in so it makes the cool PSH sound". Really depends on the people who are criticizing you for not tuning your car.

I enjoyed reading this discussion. Different strokes for different folks. I will almost certainly always be biased in favor of older cars, mostly because they are easier to understand when they break. Some of us just build a car because we can. image; titles; notoriety only concern me in so far as I'm not impeded in doing-me. Whatever I do to that end people can interpret however they want. As far as time- I'm finally to the point where I don't need whatever insane cars I own to be reliable because I don't drive them every day. I've built reliable older stock cars and still get the same enjoyment for building and maintaining those cars as I do from raising the HP or handling of my performance cars. I will work on all of them probably for as long as I can for no reason other than I am compelled to. Maybe its different when your time table pretty much spans lifetimes- you and or the car..

A little bit back I got a new Hybrid Panamera for a weekend and even though it was fast, reliable and comfortable, I couldn't help but feel that I couldn't get emotionally attached to something so civilized and tidy. I say that about the new R35 GT-Rs and even the newest GT3 RS. Admittedly most probably don't pine for a car that's missing parts of its whole, is running off cross referenced, sometimes fabricated, sometimes unrecommended parts, sometimes smells like fuel and has occasional system failures but for me part of the fun is embracing the madness.
r35gtr
  Posted: Dec 1 2015, 07:43 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 46,063

QUOTE (sushiyummy32 @ Nov 28 2015, 04:12 AM)

after looking at alpha's website and after giving them a call I am convinced that they can build a reliable daily car even at 1200hp levels.

I have been thinking since I am currently saving up for an italian car when I turn 40 in 2020, why not buy an alpha built car and ship it here. perhaps by then the new gtr is out.

I can't wait to see my friends faces when I smoke them with an alpha gtr hahaha

save some money too

Spaz , I wanted to quote you but somehow I can only make a post a day . I just read your post a while ago.

Tuners/shops will treat you very well when you order stuff. then they will go on saying "'r35gtr... among my customers you are the best.. you do not just spend your money needlessly.. you do your research... and from what I can tell, you truly utilize the potential of your car. you are indeed a rare breed"

I blushed and I was very happy. after 3 years I spoke to some of his customers and gues what, he said the same thing!! I guess the rare breed just multiplied like rabbits.

my tuner said "' hey your car is tuned agressively, that Methanol injection really is helping with the detonation. but do not worry. if you need me I am just a phone call away.. call me even at 2 am"

here I was , racing with a porsche turbo and I am happy cause I am kicking his ass then suddenly the timming pulled, the negine died, the dreaded check engine appeared. at happened at 11am during office hours, I called him and was tellhing him about the problem. then the call got dropped. I called him again then his phone is turned off. what an a$$hole.

This post has been edited by r35gtr on Dec 1 2015, 07:54 PM
xiao
Posted: Dec 1 2015, 08:27 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (r35gtr @ 43 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
after looking at alpha's website and after giving them a call I am convinced that they can build a reliable daily car even at 1200hp levels.

user posted image

Can I work for/with/under you?? derp.gif

Also, do you have any vids of your GTR man? Your YT channel's been idle for approx 5 years, any track/meet videos? happy.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 4