Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Dejo & Bratt - In The Eyes Of A Tiger

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 46,650  ·  Replies: 164 
> My Dragons! (Evo IV Coupe build and WRX DD)
Alchem1st
  Posted: Feb 21 2013, 05:58 PM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,218

Been forever since I posted here lol. Sorry about that. I think the emails have been going to my spam folder. rolleyes.gif You want an update huh? Can do!

Manley forged 100mm stroker crank!
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

PTE 6262 billet dual ceramic ball bearing turbo with the anti-surge housing
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

Other than that, I did post the car for sale for a while but since I acquired the turbo stuff I'm not selling it. Also, it's all ripped apart at the moment as the heater core sprung a leak. One of the fittings cracked. I fixed it tonight though and will pressure test it tomorrow. Hope to have the dash back in and everything back together this weekend! Any local members wanna drop by and give a hand? LOL

P.S. I will check back tomorrow or later tonight to see if there has been more replies I missed. Gotta figure out why I didn't get any emails for the last 10 or so posts. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Feb 21 2013, 06:01 PM
chillined
Posted: Feb 21 2013, 10:11 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,552

Awesome to hear dude! Wow, what an update. This thing is going to be a beast!
Alchem1st
  Posted: Feb 22 2013, 03:55 AM

IDW Senior Member

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't really want to let it go and there was no way I'd get anywhere near even the worth of the parts out of it let alone the work haha so I decided to keep it.
I was considering getting a Factory Five 818 which was why I posted it for sale in the first place. Hmm, didn't get an email saying there was a reply again. Not in my spam folder
either. ermm2.gif Changed some email settings so hopefully that fixes it! Also, just finished pressure testing the new heater core fitting so it's good to go back together today!

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Feb 22 2013, 04:35 AM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jul 4 2013, 12:38 PM

IDW Senior Member

Hey guys just checking in. Won't be around as much probably now that S5 is over and done crying2.gif ; but here's an update on the "Evo":

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 4288 x 3216. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 3264 x 2448. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Interior more or less done. All that's left is the harness bar, harness's, and a camera mount on the bar! Any Indiana members or members visiting Indiana should hit me up sometime! Would love to have someone to chat ID with sometime haha.

Interior parts list:

Evo 8 Recaros on Evo 5 Bride brackets
Evo 6 non-TME Blue stitch steering wheel
Evo 4 center console w/ intercooler sprayer switch
Evo 4 lower kick panel with cubby
Ebay blue stitch suede shift boot
Evo 8 short shifter mounted in an Evo 4 shift base
Blitz Evo 4 aluminum shifter base bushings
Ebay CTR shift knob
Evo 4 gauge cluster
USDM Mirage cluster surround gauge pod
CM5A Lancer GSR secondary storage upper glovebox (SUPER rare)
Evo 4 auto climate control system (only working LHD system in the US custom modded by yours truly:) )
Evo 4 power folding mirror switch and fog light switch
Oreilly auto parts volt gauge
AEM UEGO wideband
Defi Link System gauges (Boost, Water Temp, Oil Temp, and Oil Pres)
Montero windshield wiper stalk with intermittent wipers (Same as Evo 4 but LHD)
JVC double DIN DVD unit

My Evo 4 RS rear end is almost ready to go in the car now so after Mitsu Owners Day in Bloomington, IL this year the cars going under the knife to become an Evo for real haha!

WAY old vid, but for those that missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv72VsYV8uI
Spaz
Posted: Jul 5 2013, 07:59 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I saw that on Facebook, looking good!

I can't wait to see this finished.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jul 5 2013, 08:02 AM

IDW Senior Member

Thanks! I don't hate driving it anymore now LOL! I think some of the most important aspects of a car are the surfaces you touch as a driver and my rear end hated the stock seats hahaha! You coming to MOD this year?
Spaz
Posted: Jul 5 2013, 01:36 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alchem1st @ 5 hours, 33 minutes ago)
Thanks! I don't hate driving it anymore now LOL! I think some of the most important aspects of a car are the surfaces you touch as a driver and my rear end hated the stock seats hahaha! You coming to MOD this year?

The feel of the car is everything. Always has been for me. I really liked the '06 STi I test drove before the Evo, and because of the intertwined history and motorsports standings the Evo and the STi have, I wanted to find even more things to like... But I couldn't get into it, I just couldn't feel connected to the car. I don't know if it was just that car, but while the end result was razor sharp handling and response, the inputs were disconnected and vague. There was no catering to driver feel, and I just couldn't get excited about it. What I feel, sitting in the driver's seat, is everything to me about a car. It doesn't have to make the most horsetorques, it doesn't have to be the most balanced. It has to feel good.

I had planned to actually make it to Factory MOD this year (I somehow made it to TX MOD last year), but with the work and parts that need to go into the car to have it done for the latter half of the racing season, the money won't be there. I might even skip the trans if I have to and put it on the docket for next year, since it's just worn out and not actually broken, and I can still, at least for the time being, force 3rd at high revs if the fluid isn't too hot.
Banken
Posted: Jul 5 2013, 05:22 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

...interesting build.

So, you drive around with the glove box open? That's... a little goofy.

I understand you're going for a clean look, but if your gauges are that far out of your line of sight they're not really doing their job. They need to be within your line of sight so you can catch them when they go past the safe zone. Ideally you want the operating temperature to be when the needle is pointing straight up, so you can check them with just a glance.

I would have thought for the money you'd be better off just...um, buying an Evo 8 and having a stock Mirage (a Mivec Mirage is no slouch).

But I don't mean to judge people's hobbies.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jul 5 2013, 08:27 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Banken @ 3 hours, 5 minutes ago)
...interesting build.

So, you drive around with the glove box open?  That's... a little goofy.

I understand you're going for a clean look, but if your gauges are that far out of your line of sight they're not really doing their job.  They need to be within your line of sight so you can catch them when they go past the safe zone.  Ideally you want the operating temperature to be when the needle is pointing straight up, so you can check them with just a glance.

I would have thought for the money you'd be better off just...um, buying an Evo 8 and having a stock Mirage (a Mivec Mirage is no slouch).

But I don't mean to judge people's hobbies.

Don't hate! ras.gif It's pretty out of the way actually. Most everyone who has seen it in person can tell you. It doesn't open high enough to affect your field of vision through the windshield but is high enough you can see the guages. Doesn't protrude awkwardly either. Anyway, whether you like it or not I'm happy with it so that's how it's staying. You must have never driven a Mirage... They are tiny cars. I don't have to even turn my head to see the readouts and they're angled toward me enough that it works out perfectly. You would be correct if the car was as big inside as my WRX, but it's not. It's as small or smaller than an EG civic. Also, being Link gauges they have adjustable alarms on them so if something does happen and I don't see the gauge in time, I will still hear it. Believe me when I say I've done a lot of gauge installs and these are in as good of a spot as any. This build is an Evo 4 conversion more so than a modified Mirage. Sure I could build an Evo 8 but then I'd just have the same thing as every other Evo driver. (No offense Spaz, love your car! thumbsup.gif) You've missed the point of this build. My favorite Evo has always been the IV which we didn't get in the US; but we did get the Mirage which is the same base chassis. (only three major structural differences which I've added to my car already. (well one to go this Winter but still...) Also, I prefer coupes for sports cars and there is no Evo coupe. Why not build one and have something nobody else does? I think total there are three documented complete Evo 4 coupes in the world. All that's saying nothing about my cars stock curb weight of 2,200 lbs. When it's done it should be around 2,500-2,600lbs with around 600whp on tap on 93oct pump gas. Love it or hate it; it's gonna be a rocket!

Anyway, I agree Spaz. I used to be all about more power and better handling, but I think the number one most important aspect of the car now is the surfaces you interface with as the driver. Comfortable seats, good feeling and properly weighted shift knob, good steering wheel position, etc are all important to a proper build! No MOD then? sad.gif That's too bad.

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Jul 5 2013, 08:59 PM
Spaz
Posted: Jul 5 2013, 09:04 PM

Group Icon

You being the second person I know (the first being Mark) who is doing/has done a full swap like this, it makes sense to me. It's about reaching that end goal and all the satisfaction that comes with it. Mark has the entire chassis complete, but yet again has no motor in it after getting the convertible running. It's simply not a project you do for others, it's a build you do solely because you want to, and nothing more.

Sure, an Evo 8 is cheaper, and is ready to go out of the box, but it's not unique or special. And I'm not afraid to admit that.
backalleyracer
Posted: Jul 5 2013, 11:17 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

this build is good, and keep it up, don't mind baken too much, he thinks being in jdm land makes him special or something.

uniqueness cannot be bought cool.gif
Alchem1st
  Posted: Sep 4 2013, 09:05 AM

IDW Senior Member

^Thanks! More parts on the way! Also, I'll be at the Factory Mitsubishi Owners Day in Normal, IL on September 21. If anyone from here is thinking of going hit me up!

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Sep 4 2013, 09:05 AM
Spaz
Posted: Sep 4 2013, 09:08 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alchem1st @ Yesterday, 12:05 PM)
^Thanks! More parts on the way! Also, I'll be at the Factory Mitsubishi Owners Day in Normal, IL on September 21. If anyone from here is thinking of going hit me up!

Bah, wish I could afford it. Gotta save to fix less important stuff on the car to make it easier to sell. I'll make it next year in something much more... Stand-out, if all goes to plan. tongue.gif
Ganso Fan
Posted: Sep 5 2013, 12:11 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 42,026

Haha love the license plate on your WRX! laugh2.gif Good job on the Evolution build. I don't think I've ever seen any successful and clean conversion on the Mirage yet. The car's got potential but unfortunately the few I've seen have all been really ghetto or rice.
silverromeo
Posted: Sep 6 2013, 08:35 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 41,998

Wow an Evo coupe will definitely be a unique build. Will follow on thread.
Just a personal opinion, would be even nicer if it has the evo fender flares or some sort of fender arches.. but of course, only if it's feasible.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Sep 18 2013, 07:20 PM

IDW Senior Member

Yeah, I actually won't be going either now Spaz. Mirage is still on stands. Whiteline really failed with the KCA429 kit. :/ Fitment is complete crap. Oh well it'll work with some heavy modification so we're just going with it. Hope you're back in tip top shape soon!

Thanks Ganso Fan! I get a lot of laughs about that plate. happy.gif Yeah, not many people stick them out or do them right. Even I've been considering selling it once it's done so I can buy my dream machine; the 93/94 BNR32 GT-R V-Spec/V-Spec II. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet though and we're still four/five years from getting them here legally so it's staying for the moment.

Haha thanks! I only check in here once in a while though. Following on Evom will keep you up to date a bit better! smile.gif As for the flares; only the 5/6 had them. The IV had minorly flared fenders though and I have a set that will go on eventually; but the front conversion is last on the list after the engine swap. thumbsup.gif Things should start progressing quickly now though! As soon as Dad finishes the repairs on the frame rails we can start tearing down my car to install the fresh floorpan! (See the Evom thread for more details! cool.gif )

Since I'm here; here's a video update that shows recent progress and the last pre swap engine bay "makeover".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR6eWfPC3HU

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Sep 18 2013, 07:24 PM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Feb 7 2014, 08:51 AM

IDW Senior Member

Been a minute since I checked in back here. Saw there's a movie coming out! Can't wait! So anyway, we finished the final repairs are finished on the awd floorpan. All that's left is a final sandblasting, a coat of rust treatment, a coat of weld through primer, and a bit of paint in the middle to seal in while we're welding it in! Hoping to start the conversion early next month! (hoping lol)

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 3264 x 2448. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2448 x 3264. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Here she is no longer lowered and now sitting on stock Evo 4 suspension until the floor is swapped and my coilovers get here.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Feb 7 2014, 08:55 AM
Spaz
Posted: Feb 7 2014, 01:34 PM

Group Icon

Is that out of a CT9A? I know the chassis are fairly similar.

Also, MAPerformance is parting out my old car if you need any OE stuff. Figured I'd mention it if you hadn't seen that!

This post has been edited by Spaz on Feb 7 2014, 01:34 PM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Feb 7 2014, 11:54 PM

IDW Senior Member

Nope, this is true CN9A! It's unique as it's non wide body where all the CP9A/CT9A were wide. Took a while to track down and was a rusted out piece of trash. Thankfully my Dad is a sheetmetal guy or I'd have been out of a lot of cash. Yeah, I saw! I have nearly everything now though haha! Nothing OEM left to buy! It's all aftermarket from here on! laugh2.gif
Spaz
Posted: Feb 8 2014, 07:35 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alchem1st @ 7 hours, 40 minutes ago)
Nope, this is true CN9A! It's unique as it's non wide body where all the CP9A/CT9A were wide. Took a while to track down and was a rusted out piece of trash. Thankfully my Dad is a sheetmetal guy or I'd have been out of a lot of cash. Yeah, I saw! I have nearly everything now though haha! Nothing OEM left to buy! It's all aftermarket from here on! laugh2.gif

Awesome! That's a good place to be for sure. smile.gif
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Feb 8 2014, 08:09 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

Loving this build, are you the first to do such a thing?
Spaz
Posted: Feb 10 2014, 09:32 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Lonely_Driver @ Feb 8 2014, 11:09 PM)
Loving this build, are you the first to do such a thing?

He and I have a mutual friend (local to me) with a home-built Evo 3. There are a few others as well.
awddrifter
Posted: Apr 17 2014, 06:43 AM

なんでやねん

Member No.: 377

I can't wait to see this done. WE NEED UPDATES! rant.gif grin2.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Alchem1st
  Posted: Apr 18 2014, 08:24 AM

IDW Senior Member

Haha I didn't forget about you guys! I pretty much post updates here, Mirageforums,
and Evolutionm so it's easy to remember. I still don't get notifications from replies to this thread
though for some reason... Anyway, got some work done on the pan! Sandblasted and rust treated!
It has to cure over the weekend and then we can shoot
some primer and a little bit of paint and it'll be ready to swap in!

Sandblasted!
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image

Rust treated!
user posted image

This stuff is great!
user posted image

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Apr 18 2014, 08:27 AM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jun 6 2014, 08:57 AM

IDW Senior Member

Look what came in the mail today!!!! biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Fortune Auto 500 coilovers for an Evo IV with 8Kg Swift springs front and rear and radial bearings preinstalled. Had them valved for street use.

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 »