Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - platinum

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 51,746  ·  Replies: 174 
> The cup of water, In reality
red comet 7
Posted: Feb 14 2008, 02:14 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,875

it does work in real life, i actually bought a clip on, cup holder to try this awhile back.

it takes alot of double checking of both the cup and the road, and ALOT of experimentation, in like an open area, like a parking lot too.

dont fill it insanely high in the beginning, and also you cant hit any bumps or pot holes.

but after awhile, you learn to do it...i actually learned how to this with my book bag in my back hatch on the way to school, it used to would sling around all over the place in the back, and then i couldnt reach it from my seat when i got to school, so i started playin with the cup of water to see if it really worked like in initial d and would keep my book bag from flying all over the place. and to my surprise it worked!

but then i accidentally bumped the cup holder one day, and broke the blades off my AC vent, and got really pissed...so naturally that was the end of those paper cup escapades!

lol
vwboyaf1
Posted: Feb 14 2008, 07:43 PM

IDW Prime Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 21,219

I think that the R34 and the new GT-R has a version of the ball bearing graphic as one of it's displays. It is basically a dot that moves in the direction of the G forces. You can watch the funky shapes that the dot "draws" to see how you are shifting your weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZh3bl-LJzE

Look for 1:20 on the timer for the G-meter.

This post has been edited by vwboyaf1 on Feb 14 2008, 07:44 PM
thestreetzking
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 06:23 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 28,571

it is actually insanely easy to not spill the water in the cup.. as long as your still playing the arcade stage..
kamyuz
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 03:15 AM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 23,693

QUOTE (thestreetzking @ Feb 17 2008, 06:23 PM)
it is actually insanely easy to not spill the water in the cup.. as long as your still playing the arcade stage..

What? I don't think this is about V3, mister.
Koykis
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 06:33 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 28,743

I really don't think it is possible and here is my reasoning:
1) Even if you are driving at 20km/h there are bumps on the road you cannot see. One of them will spill your water.
2) You cannot do it while driving a road that climbs a hill, the elevation will cause the water climb up the back of the cap so you will not be able to accelerate at all blink.gif
3) Even if you manage to do it as smooth as the task requires then you cannot get away without damage to your clutch or engine...

This applies to the conditions takumi was in Initial D...
For drifting I think its absolutely impossible since at the moment the rear tires lose grip there is a slight bump in the cars movement as it starts to slide. This will spill some water from the cup. This cannot be done smoothly enough... Unless you're drifting in an airport.
thestreetzking
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 10:54 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (kamyuz @ Today at 3:15 AM)
What? I don't think this is about V3, mister.

lol that was a joke, but I do not think its possible with the amount of water shown in the anime, maybe with a half cup but this is only gonna see if you can rotate the water and not necessarily help. Granted takumi did know every oil spill and crack on akina, if you drove a road every day for 6 years and literally had to study the road so you didn't ruin what you carried in the trunk then maybe its possible, its hard to say coming from the point of no one knowing a road so well. Smooth shifting is something to be learned from the cup but like I said it should not be possible with as much water as he had in the cup.
red comet 7
Posted: Feb 19 2008, 01:30 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Koykis @ Today at 6:33 AM)
I really don't think it is possible and here is my reasoning:
3) Even if you manage to do it as smooth as the task requires then you cannot get away without damage to your clutch or engine...

.... I think its absolutely impossible since at the moment the rear tires lose grip there is a slight bump in the cars movement as it starts to slide.

um i guess you didnt read what i said. dry.gif

and as for your reason number 3, im not sure what kinda drifting youre doing.

and second shifting without shaking the whole damn car is quite easy, put forth a little more effort instead of just snatching and stomping. it doesnt mess anything up.

and heel and toe rev matching actually would make things smoother while downshifting. And a braking drift doesnt make anything "bump" if youre doing it right, the car just slides out naturally into the slide.

sounds to me like youre shift locking...
Koykis
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 12:28 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Yes, I read your previous post but you didn't mention anywhere the speeds you were doing. Also I said that what I said applies to the initial D conditions. Did you try to go raging up a hill while carrying that cap?
Anyway I didnt say i've tried it myself and I never drift seriously, I just correct it when the rear slides out. It is hard to initiate a drift with a low powered AWD without a violent move like a flick so I dont think I would go for a drift try. Did you succeed at drifting without spilling the water? Maybe with a RWD car it is possible.

I'm not familiar with english terms so rev matching is when you try to match the engine revs for the current gear to the speed the car is doing? And what is shift locking?
sideways
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 03:28 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE (Koykis @ Yesterday at 7:33 AM)
For drifting I think its absolutely impossible since at the moment the rear tires lose grip there is a slight bump in the cars movement as it starts to slide. This will spill some water from the cup. This cannot be done smoothly enough... Unless you're drifting in an airport.

Never exsperienced a smooth slide before i see. A good slide can be as smooth as if you just kept traction at all four wheels
red comet 7
Posted: Feb 20 2008, 03:41 PM

IDW Regular Member

thank you sideways.

and also LMAO at "what's shift lock?"

Koykis
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 07:58 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (sideways @ Yesterday at 3:28 PM)
Never exsperienced a smooth slide before i see. A good slide can be as smooth as if you just kept traction at all four wheels

Maybe, Im not really interested in drifting. As I said I THINK it is not possible, im not sure, i'd like to see it though.

@ red comet 7: Laugh all you want, I still dont know what that is unless someone explains that to me.
Meteor
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 08:10 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

And what is shift locking?

It's when you quickly downshift without rev-matching or braking. It's called shift locking because it momentarily locks the drive wheels. This would also cause that bump in the car's movement you're talking about.
Koykis
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 08:33 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Thanks a lot meteor, it wasn't that hard now was it?
This is mistake is for amateurs and i used to do it when i was trying to drive fast with my previous car. The bump i mention is when the car starts to slide, not while braking or downshiftng. Plus this happens in my car, i never had a ride with a rwd driver who is trying to drift seriously to know how the car behaves.

Did you succeed at drifting without spilling the water? Maybe with a RWD car it is possible.

Nobody answered so I'll believe it when I see it. Sorry guys this doesent mean I dont believe you, it means i trust the laws of physics more.
Meteor
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 09:17 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Bumps during drifting usually occurs due to:
.E-braking (rear kicks itself outwards)
.Rather bumpy road (obvious)
.Some other drift technique that is rather rough (clutch kick, etc.)

And powersliding can sometimes cause a quick load transfer in the car as well.

Powersliding: RWD beginner drifting technique. The driver simply steers around the turn. Then, near the exit, full throttle. The rear slides out. Not exactly a drift, but useful for beginners to learn how to countersteer properly.

i never had a ride with a rwd driver who is trying to drift seriously to know how the car behaves.

You don't have to. Just watching the countless drift vids available online will show you how the car behaves.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Feb 21 2008, 09:26 AM
thestreetzking
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 10:41 AM

IDW Jr. Member

my point of view is I usually clutch kick to initiate cause my power over is not always predictable. Also if your going to try this cup of water trick I would say parking lot, start with a doughnut, then move to a figure 8, if you can hold the water during a figure 8 then I would assume you would be able to eventually get away with it.
red comet 7
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 04:33 PM

IDW Regular Member

i did not do much drifting with the cup of water, but like you've been saying road condition is key. you cant be doing this on a bumpy surface.
and first off it helps if you know how to drift BEFORE you try with cup, not trying to learn WITH the cup.

the one i used to do and keep the water in the cup was come into a corner at 60mph in 3rd gear, and then heel and toe into 2nd gear while still riding the brake.

you have to learn to ROTATE the back end into a drift rather than throw it, once you have the angle ease into the gas pedal but fast enough to get the rearwheels spinning. Now the next key here is to counter steer as little as possible, only do the bare minimum required for the line youre running, when you exit the corner your countersteer has to be perfectly corrected on exit, with no angle to the outside at all. if it is when you exit, it will jerk that way your steering angle is and you have to snatch back. that will immediately spill the water.

also whats key is in your drift you need room to go full throttle at the exit, this rocks the water away from the side of the cup and more towards the back. the rest is just smooth shifting coming out.

so basically the pattern of the water is a rotating 360 around the lip of the cup.

underbraking the water rolls forward do to the weightshift and inertia, then when the back in rotates out (this should happen VERY smoothly while doing a braking a drift) the water will swirl with it, that creates a centrifigual force within the cup kinda like when you take a bucket of water and swing it all the way around with your arm and the water doesnt come out. then as your clearing the corner and the car begins to face itself straight for the corner exit the water will roll backward then on exit should finish its rotation and become stationary as you hit the straight away.

sorry for the lenghty post but thats the only way i could describe the way i did it.

thestreetzking
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 06:25 PM

IDW Jr. Member

One thing I thought to add and totally forgot before, try this in the rain first.. only cause its a lot easier to transition plus you dont need to be going 45 to take a 15mph turn instead you can slide it at 20. power over in the rain is also a lot smoother and more responsive.

I think its supposed to rain tomorrow smile.gif gotta get the crew together lol

edit: sorry if this is a stupid question but is that your fc?^^^

This post has been edited by thestreetzking on Feb 21 2008, 06:26 PM
red comet 7
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 08:35 PM

IDW Regular Member

yes it is. thats an old pic back when it was a NA. Its a TII now and it has a white hood, and I had to put the original wheels back on it because the Tanabe suspension lowered it to the point where my tires would roll fenders just daily driving. i actually got faster when i put the 15's back on.

thats also another thing i forgot to mention. your suspension is very important. it has to be stiff, it is soft when you exit the drift your car will have a bit of a "rebound" and rock vioently to the upright position and will actually sling water across the entire car. i tried it while it was NA and had stock suspension. lol
funny thing is, i used to could roll the fenders then too. My team used to hit this corner behind a truck stop that would normally be like 15mph curve. I would charge in at anywhere between 45-60mph depending on the type of drift i was going for or which team member was infront of me. i would have black rubber all over the fenders. lol

the rain is quite fun, but also that much easier to lose control.
djmisio85
Posted: Feb 21 2008, 10:16 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

I found an effective way of smoothing out your driving, is driving with winter tyres.

I get a lot of snow where I live, but keep my winter tyres on about half a year. obviously theres many roads where theres no snow, so if you want to keep the tread on you soft winter tyres, you need to drive in such a way, that you only steer as much as you have too. You then learn to balance the car in the turns, simply turn the wheel to the angle you need, then let the car turn, simple.

Kind of hard to explain, having bucket seats also helps, you just push back in the seat, and let the car take.

If anyone knows what im on about, let me know lol.

I realised last year, that when I put my summer rims and tyres back on, i wasnt squealing round the corners, which means, before I experienced winter tyres, i was steering too much.....

Also back on topic, but a lil off, when I was younger, i used to roller skate a lot, holding a glass of juice or whatver certainly smoothed out my rollerblading lol w00t2.gif

This post has been edited by djmisio85 on Feb 21 2008, 10:17 PM
thestreetzking
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 09:40 AM

IDW Jr. Member

lol bringing it back with the roller blades!

I always wanted an fc, one in california, TII for only 2200, jus needs injectors I want it. But im in new york and there is only 2 that I know of sad.gif

Yea stiff suspension is definitly important in the rear of the car, as well as sway bars.

When you say your tires would roll the fenders, do you mean rub/scrape? Cause when you say roll the fenders im thinking roll em for clearance issues, which I had to do with my rear fenders with my 17s... 15s are where its at, im trying to get some aggresive 15s for my next set.
twitchykun
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 10:00 AM

F*ck land I'm on a boat Motherf*cker!

Member No.: 20,454

okay, back on the cup of water topic at hand....

I'm gonna give it a go, in my manumatic RSX. It's raining outside, and i'm gonna see if the water spills. If it does, then yay. If not, then oh well.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 10:25 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (twitchykun @ Today at 11:00 AM)
I'm gonna give it a go, in my manumatic RSX.

Do it on a real manual, please. Automatics don't count when it comes to this.
twitchykun
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 11:58 AM

F*ck land I'm on a boat Motherf*cker!

Member No.: 20,454

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Today at 10:25 AM)
Do it on a real manual, please. Automatics don't count when it comes to this.

should've added the sarcasm tags =P.
red comet 7
Posted: Feb 22 2008, 01:48 PM

IDW Regular Member

yeah i meant scrubbing. thats just the term we used.

and streetkingz there's alot more FC's out there than you think. try autotrader. thats where i found mine
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 9 2008, 10:34 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

I was just watching, i think episode 5 or 6, of stage 1, where takumi takes natsuki to the beach.

She says hows shes never been in a car for so long and not felt sick, then takumi says to himself in his mind, "i was only driving like i usually do not to spill the water in the cup"

SO, does this actually mean that when takumi drives at the limit, it has anything to do with his cup??? I doubt he was driving like a maniac with natsuki in the car......

I drive with my mobile phone placed near my gear stick sometimes, and yeah, it slips off occasionally on sharp corners, the other day was driving along, and thought I would give it some boost, my cars only set to 0.75 bar, but its certainly enough to send the phone flying from the front of the car to the very back w00t2.gif

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 »