Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - 夕愁想花 (tv)

Views: 10,912  ·  Replies: 12 
> AE86's "Speed Warning" on a different car.
Smiler Entertainment
  Posted: Jan 13 2018, 03:11 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,437

Hey guys! How ya doin'?

So, quick question.

I'm buying my first car soon. Either a Nissan 240SX or Ford Probe GT. There's one thing that I require to be on the car.

The AE86's "Speed Warning" alert chime.

I'm wondering if it's possible to put the sound in the car and have it go off at 100 KPH (or around 60 MPH since I'm American).

Help?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
xiao
Posted: Jan 13 2018, 08:20 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

That's a really good question ~ hopefully someone here could answer .. cause frankly this kind of thing is foreign to modern American vehicles 🎵

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=E9Aefdz-9Ds )
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Smiler Entertainment
  Posted: Jan 13 2018, 08:24 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 49,437

I have the sound downloaded onto my phone, and it'd be funny to hear that chime all the way down the American highways since the speed limit is usually 75 mph.

xiao
Posted: Jan 13 2018, 08:29 PM

moon bunny

Over here on Interstate 10 the limit within the city is 60 and 75 on the outskirts ~ I personally love the way the Star Road Tokyo yellow Zed's startup sound goes .. with the Defi gauges & the girl saying some warning.

Definitely something you don't see in cars outside of Japan ~ 🎶
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 14 2018, 02:05 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

First issue will be finding the chime unit. If you can get one from the actual AE86, then great. If not, a close alternative can be found on the 1994-2001 Acura Integra (it's the headlights-on-door-open chime). Once you have the unit, you will need to figure out the pinout. Most should be simple ground/+12V, so not too much trouble hopefully.

Then you want it to trigger at a certain speed. This will depend on how the vehicle in question reads speed. Does it use a speedometer cable, or does it have a vehicle speed sensor? If it uses a VSS system, use an oscilloscope to figure out the pulse that is associated with the speed you want to trigger your chime at. If it has no VSS, you'll have to go old-school and figure out a way to put a microswitch on the gauge needle mechanism that trips 'on' when the needle turns past the speed you want.

For the VSS, now rig up an 'interpreter' board (Arduino, for instance) that applies power to the chime unit when it receives the proper VSS pulse.

And if all of that went over your head, then chances are you won't be able to put the AE86 speed warning on a different car.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Jan 14 2018, 02:20 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 14 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
And if all of that went over your head, then chances are you won't be able to put the AE86 speed warning on a different car.

Chime unit .. so this thing's mechanical ohmy.gif ??

I'm guessing modern JDM cars with similar chimes & startups just have a chip board wired to the system.
kafz
Posted: Jan 14 2018, 05:37 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 49,367

That would annoy me to death, since I usually drive around 70 on highways
Spaz
Posted: Jan 14 2018, 09:24 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

What N1 said. It's going to take a hell of an effort to implement into the car itself.

It'll be novel for the first 10 minutes on the highway... Then you'll want to KYS every time you get behind the wheel. Is it really worth the massive amount of effort to implement, just to eventually piss yourself off every time it kicks in?

Best bet if you want to see the obnoxious result of this level of fanboi-ism? Find or develop an app that plays the sound over 60mph via the GPS, and sync to bluetooth. Be cheaper and easier and completely reversible, by deleting the app and never speaking of it to anyone.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 14 2018, 09:54 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Spaz @ 30 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
Best bet if you want to see the obnoxious result of this level of fanboi-ism? Find or develop an app that plays the sound over 60mph via the GPS, and sync to bluetooth. Be cheaper and easier and completely reversible, by deleting the app and never speaking of it to anyone.

Actually a really good idea.

Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Jan 15 2018, 08:08 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 12:54 AM)
Actually a really good idea.

Rare, I know. laugh2.gif
Sensation!
Posted: Jan 16 2018, 12:16 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (Spaz @ Jan 14 2018, 10:24 PM)

It'll be novel for the first 10 minutes on the highway... Then you'll want to KYS every time you get behind the wheel. Is it really worth the massive amount of effort to implement, just to eventually piss yourself off every time it kicks in?

Listen to this man and don't do it.
I was talking to N1 about this a few days back and you hit the nail on the head and more. A lot of luxury cars actually have this, BMW's come in mind. They are however user definable, and can be user disabled.

I mean:

There's one thing that I require to be on the car

Require is a strong word here. It'll be cool for 2 days, then you'll grow up.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Jan 16 2018, 01:04 AM
Spaz
Posted: Jan 16 2018, 04:45 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensation! @ Today, 3:16 AM)
A lot of luxury cars actually have this, BMW's come in mind. They are however user definable, and can be user disabled.

Both my VWs have a speed warning that will ding once and display on the dash, but it's specifically marked in the menu in the Jetta as a 'Winter Tire Speed Warning'.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 17 2018, 07:46 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

In addition to being an incomprehensible idea to begin with, you might recognize the chime on Takumi's 86 never rang more than a couple times early on in First Stage, so it was obviously disabled.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project