Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Every Little Thing - Jirenma (Movie Size)

42 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 158,869  ·  Replies: 1,033 
> Stick shift, is it hard?
sideways
Posted: Jun 7 2004, 09:59 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

As ive said before, about 10% of the people with an 86 dont know what they have.. but thats getting rarer and rarer as people find these people laugh.gif All i can really say is good luck onthe hunt buddy; around me, you MAY find a gem like that.. but on average youll have to pay about 3000 bucks for it... one just went in the paper, 3995...
Trey Ayanami
Posted: Jun 20 2004, 05:04 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

I was looking at an sr5 about a month back in our local lot for about 1800, not as great as the ae but you can always spend and tweak it... but cash is always the setback sad.gif
sideways
Posted: Jun 20 2004, 10:27 PM

Tweak it? man that sr5 isnt worth your money.

the 3au (i think thats it) is a carbed engine that pumps out an incredible 90 horsepower, the suspension is way too soft to do anything with it. You try and lowwer it on those shock like yo ucould with a normal 86 youd be hitting your car agaisnt it self from the leaning it would be doing. the option for LSD was never given to it. And the back brakes are drum brakes, instead of disk brakes.

The car, to make this even on par with an 86, is WAY too much..
TRD-hachi-roku
Posted: Jul 15 2004, 10:09 PM

Terror of da Nitez

Member No.: 383

gts conversion...
fr86
Posted: Jul 15 2004, 10:15 PM

banned?

Member No.: 904

f**k, anything over 1k canadian is way to much money for even corolla gts.

If u get a 86 during the craze u are just wasting your money. Any other sporty car for 1800 will kill the 86 no question asked.

1800 for sr5!?!?! mite as well flush your money down the toilet!!!

edit: again i dont hate 86, i like i like!!! But their "value" during the craze is ridicoules!!!!

This post has been edited by fr86 on Jul 15 2004, 10:16 PM
sideways
Posted: Jul 16 2004, 12:28 PM

Gts conversion isnt worth it, youll spend more in the long run then if you just went and straight out bought a gts

Fr86 your name surprises me- you seem to liek the 86 or something but you seriously put it down. in a straight line the 86 gets smocked by almost anythign with an engine nowadays, but put it on the technical course with the proper tuning (basic engine upgrades, and then a suspension.. i have a trd set on mine) they can keep up with even the newer cars of today. They handle very well, and after about 4400 rpms the engines rpms actually start to accelerate where most cars start to slow down. In other words, it takes awhile to get going but once you get there you can stay there if your good enough.

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Jul 16 2004, 12:28 PM
Mike
Posted: Aug 1 2004, 12:50 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 2,434

Hey, this might be an old dead topic, but im new and wanted to add my thoughts. Ive been driving a 'stick shift' (god damn just call it a manual smile.gif ) for nearly 2 years now, and some of the advice given while good wasnt actually teh best. For starters when you first start driving a manual, firstly u should have the hand brake on, this stops and stalling as long as you go slow. With the hand brake on, you need to press the clutch in, move the into 1st gear, once in first gear with the clutch fully depressed you need to get some revs going 2000 to 4000 as people have suggested is good, but 4000 is a bit high really, but once the revs are constant, you then need to slowly bring the clutch up, when the clutch is maybe half way to 3 quarters of the way fully up (depends on the car) around this point the car will lurch, at this point stop, this si because youve found the bite and gone past, the clutch should go slightly, and only slightly back down, after this, you can release the hand brake, keeping both feet at the asme points, and the car will slowly move forward, after this with the car rooling, you can bring the left foot up on the clutch and put the accelerator down more to move off. I know this may not be the most techinical way, but tis damn easy for people who are new to manuls to learn.

Also people say that a clutch should be brought up slowly when changing gears because this saves the trasmission,thats not really true, when i change gears i only ever bring the clutch up slowly when my parents are in the car, and thats just to sotp them from saying im 'racing all the time' you can bring a clutch up in half a second and as long as you fractionally stop when you hit the bite (you need to know your car inside out and exactly where the bite is for this) you can change gear in no time at all, and not lurch or jump etc.

This isnt the gospel as evyerone drives differently, but this is jsut my advice for people learning
sideways
Posted: Aug 1 2004, 02:36 PM

Good advice and good point- different cars will be just that, different. I can actually get my car going and into first with no gas at all down hill, flat, and uphill (buuut on uphill its not smart.. since you roll back laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Aug 1 2004, 02:36 PM
Iceman
Posted: Aug 20 2004, 10:35 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,488

hm. well it looks like im gonna be gettin a car soon (an '85 porsche 944) which happens to be a stick so im gonna have to learn... on the streets of dallas...
at least i've been driving for a year or two, so i won't have to learn both at once. helpful thread here. i had a little misconception over the clutch letting-out thing, but when you put in the clutch do you do it fast or slow? thx.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
sideways
Posted: Aug 20 2004, 11:24 PM

To know why your doing what your doing- it really helps to know whats going on. Go check out "howstuffworks.com" and look for transmissions, theres a good section there on them.

But anyways- It doesnt really matter, but if your upshifting/downshifting i suggest doing it as fast as possible. Its not really THAT much better, but as you start to push the clutch pedal in- the clutch will slip on the flywheel a bit, the less its slipping i guess- the longer itll last... but this is a REAL nit picky thing- and wouldnt really make a difference.
____
In all hoensty- Just push it in as fast as your comfortable with at that time.
pat86
Posted: Nov 12 2004, 01:58 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 2,666

quick question....do u have to hold the clutch in everytime u break ? what if its just light breaking then u immediately go back to gas, do you hold your clutch at the same position or do you have to push it in again ?
sideways
Posted: Nov 12 2004, 02:03 AM

Nope, you dont have to touch the clutch for normal braking. Only time you press in the clutch is when youd be braking hard enough to stall the engine (IE you make your revs drope below like 1000 rpms haha)
RakeRon
Posted: Nov 13 2004, 09:00 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 2,887

I learned to drive a manual in my Duster. Had to buy it behind my Mom's back because she despises manuals and when I was young I didn't have access to my money in the bank because it required her to cosign the release. Pissed me off alot because she wouldn't even let me look at a car if it was a manual back then so I had to learn how to drive it on my own. Took me like 5 - 10 mins to learn it and I got better as the days went on. Now I refuse to drive anything but manuals and she doesn't understand why nor am I gonna waste my time trying to explain it to her. Anyway now that I'm finished ranting I guess I should get to what I was originally gonna post.

In my Duster there is no hand brake, its a pedal ebrake so I had to learn better throttle control to keep from spinning the tires and from rolling back on hills. Next car I'm gonna get is an AE92 GTS wich I have my sights set on. One just came up for sale next door so I'm trying to round up the cash to get it.
sideways
Posted: Nov 16 2004, 01:43 AM

Why a 92 anyways?
SuperWhite92
Posted: Nov 16 2004, 02:03 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 4,145

That's crazy, she wouldn't let you buy a manual? What's her big gripe against them? My parents basically forced me to drive a stick shift. Then I taught my friends. I couldn't do without it.
RakeRon
Posted: Nov 16 2004, 03:09 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 2,887

QUOTE (sidewaysgts @ Nov 16 2004, 01:43 AM)
Why a 92 anyways?

Because the 86 is over priced and over hyped. wink2.gif Besides I like the way the 92 looks, I don't mind driving an FF, there's less rust on the 92s, and they're cheaper than the 86.

As for what my mother's problems with manuals are I dunno. I guess because she's been driving automatics for so long she can't drive a stick. That and I guess she had some perverse idea of borrowing my car when her's is in the shop or something.
speedway_pinoy
Posted: Nov 21 2004, 09:27 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 4,195

I got a question about upshifting

what are the rpm shift pionts when regualry drivling? also what is the shiftpoints when street racing?
Iceman
Posted: Nov 21 2004, 11:16 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,488

^^if this is a serious post,
https://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=9555
and for street racing just shift as much as possible. to quote my buddy char,
QUOTE (char)
More sh1ftz= More dr1ftz

no really the best way to shift in street racing is to rev to your redline and then upshift and then do it again and then put it in reverse to show the dude how fly ur mad whip is.

edit: sorry about that i got a little carried away.

for street racing:
1-2 2k rpm
2-3 4k rpm
3-4 4k rpm
4-5 1000k rpm
5-R 2 rpm

This post has been edited by Fritobandito on Nov 21 2004, 11:52 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Luken
Posted: Nov 24 2004, 08:03 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 3,537

just wondering how do you put a manual car in park?
sideways
Posted: Nov 24 2004, 08:08 PM

3 things you can do

A) Pull the hand brake

cool.gif Turn the car off and leave it in gear

C) A+B

As for me.. i have no hand brake so im forced to leave it in gear (not always a sure-fire way but works 95% of the time)
circle
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 03:53 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 3,734

might slightly be off-topic but i think this show the importance of why we have to learn how to use manual and automatic transmissions......

i was watching the latest episodes of the amazing race and there were these 2 friends who could drive a MT properly. and because of that they were eliminated from the race. biggrin.gif
sideways
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 07:11 PM

say what huh.gif
mercy
    Posted: Nov 25 2004, 07:39 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 1,501

lol i made this topic 3-5 months ago. good to see ppl still talking about it smile.gif
Nd4SpdSe
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 08:47 PM

FF Enthusiast

Member No.: 2,422

The first time i drove standard was when i test drove my Mx-3, the owner actually tough me biggrin.gif

I always wanted to drive stick...I loved it and still love it to this day..except in really really slow traffic, than it sucks

This post has been edited by Nd4SpdSe on Nov 25 2004, 08:48 PM
sideways
Posted: Nov 25 2004, 09:20 PM

Doesnt bother me in traffic anymore (though when i first started to post in this thread it did) thankfully i have a light clutch

42 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »