Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Nuage - Sunday

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

83 Pages  « 81 82 83  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 151,413  ·  Replies: 2,063 
> Gundam - UC/AU/CE, Gundam Discussion Thread
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 06:09 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 1 hour, 1 minutes ago)
You actually enjoyed the ending that made no sense and literally concluded and time-skipped so fast that if it were a car wreck you'd be in a neck brace? blink.gif And didn't like the MS designs?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. laugh2.gif I watched Victory after ZZ and F91 too, but I'm sorry, it was way too far out on the Tomino Schizophrenia scale for me to enjoy.

In other news, I got the blurays for Turn A here in the US and they're great. Finally, the whole series, in proper visual fidelity with proper English subtitles. Couldn't ask for more.

I'm biased when I say I don't see the ending to Victory (I wonder if they were rushed, the series ended at 45 episodes) being as bad as you make it and that it made as much or less sense than some parts of the abundance X ending or the ending to Turn A Gundam.

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ 1 hour, 22 minutes ago)
Finished Victory Gundam and... I kinda liked it? I don't know if it's because I watched it after ZZ and F91, but I honestly didn't mind it. The only thing I didn't care for were the mobile suit designs. Some of the characters were awful, but it's not a Gundam series without a few awful characters.

👍👍👍

Yeah, some of the mecha designs were weird, almost the majority of ones I had issues with were the Zanscare (so?) Empire units.

Also, just finished the first episode of the second half of IBO, it's so good. I haven't enjoyed a Gundam series like this in a very, very long time.
Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 07:04 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Sure, it wasn't a great ending. But for the series as a whole, it wasn't terrible. It stayed pretty consistent throughout, unlike ZZ which changed half way through. Another thing I didn't care for were the deaths towards the end. A lot of pointless ones like Odelo's and the remaining Shrike team members. Then there are characters that just went missing towards the end, like Tomache and a few others.

But all that matters is Flanders and Karlmann survived.

I actually just started the Turn A blu ray a couple hours ago. On Episode 7 already. Still need to order Part 2 though, but so far I'm enjoying it. I really like the animation and the setting for this show.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 21 2017, 08:29 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

[deleted due to database error]

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Mar 21 2017, 09:40 PM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 21 2017, 09:40 PM

ShiMACHaze

See, I usually judge a series based on two things. First, did the plot remain coherent throughout? When information foreign to the viewer is introduced as critical to the plot, does it get explained? Second, did the ending actually conclude? Did it make sense, did it how a sense of finality?

That's why F91, which was a fun film, doesn't get perfect scores. There's a major bit of plot that is literally missing from the middle of the film relating to a defection that I guess they figured we didn't need to know, but it'll bug me forever. However, it was a fun romp and it did at least conclude and lead into Crossbone Gundam.

ZZ Gundam had the typical Tomino fault of taking a while to figure out what it was going to be; it started out as a slapstick comedy, then eventually evolved into a serious sequel to Zeta. While the tone shift was definitely abrupt--signaled by the pilots finally realizing they could close their cockpit hatch--the core plot remained coherent and the series had a satisfying conclusion that made logical sense.

Gundam X had nice coherent plot throughout--indicative of Gundam shows from that era--and, despite being forced to conclude a whole 10 episodes early, still managed to do so gracefully. It didn't suddenly snap to another scene in the middle of a battle like Victory did and leave several critical plot elements up to the viewer's imagination like Victory did.

Turn A Gundam, despite being a Tomino series from later on in his career, managed to actually keep all of its tangled web of plot from falling apart entirely and wrapped it up in spectacular fashion by the end. As per usual it took Tomino some 11 episodes to finish his dragging exposition and get on with the meat and potatoes, but that he was able to juggle so much and still seal the deal by episode 49 was nothing short of amazing. He certainly didn't accomplish that with Victory, and he was way off the mark with G-Reco.

Now, one thing I will admit is that if you chose to watch the film versions of Turn A Gundam instead of the series, you won't be nearly as satisfied. They were horrendous chop-jobs that made a once-beautiful series into a confusing chain of pretty visuals and symphonic music. I made that mistake personally and I'm glad that I went back and watched the series afterward. I would have had entirely the wrong idea otherwise, and would've missed out on the best Gundam series of all time.
Alastair
Posted: Mar 23 2017, 09:35 AM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

heard something going around the rumor mill about gundam unicorn 2? is it real or just a nightmare coming to fruition?
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 23 2017, 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Alastair @ 53 minutes, 39 seconds ago)
heard something going around the rumor mill about gundam unicorn 2? is it real or just a nightmare coming to fruition?

Seems like that might be the case:

Gundam: Twilight Axis

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 23 2017, 07:07 PM

ShiMACHaze

Yeah. Haven't read the novel in question, but I look forward to see how they explain a post-Unicorn mobile suit being heavily influenced from mobile suits that were last relevant in 0080~0087.
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 24 2017, 12:08 PM

Apparently it's going to be released online, seemingly in the format of that one Gundam Seed OVA and that recent Gundam Thunderbolt series (which coincidentally is airing a second season recently).
Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 24 2017, 08:52 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Noticed some Ronah family members in the character list for Twilight Axis. I'm more intrigued now.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Mar 24 2017, 08:52 PM
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 24 2017, 11:50 PM

Mos Gundam related news, Tomino was interviewed by Forbes. I've only read an excerpt of the article on Crunchyroll, but needless to say he has an interspersing view on producing films as opposed to films developed that are based on Marvel Comics' properties.

Pretty neat to see that apparently a foreigner is the director of the project as well, he was an assistant director on Unicorn too, I thought that was pretty neat.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Mar 24 2017, 11:54 PM
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 28 2017, 07:09 PM

So it looks like Crunchyroll is picking up a lot of Gundam shows. They picked up Wing a week ago and this week picked up G. I'm left wondering what's next.
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 08:13 PM

And it's looking like we are also getting more Reconguista coming according to Tomino. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Apr 9 2017, 08:15 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 9 2017, 08:44 PM

ShiMACHaze

Bad thing in my opinion for the reasons I already laid out. On the other hand, hey, what if he pulls a miracle out of his schizophrenic ass and actually does something about my complaints! Can you even imagine it? tongue.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 11 2017, 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 12:44 AM)
Bad thing in my opinion for the reasons I already laid out. On the other hand, hey, what if he pulls a miracle out of his schizophrenic ass and actually does something about my complaints! Can you even imagine it? tongue.gif

Was it even considered a success to warrant more though? I wish he wouldn't waste his time on this and push Bandai to do a live action 0079.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

83 Pages  « 81 82 83