Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing WATARU I

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 51,723  ·  Replies: 174 
> The cup of water, In reality
Fast
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 12:00 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,986

This topic reminded me of a Corolla SR5 owner that goes to my friend's school. He keeps a halfway full styrofoam cup of water in the holder which made me laugh.gif.
hatchi-roku1984
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 03:50 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,940

if you really think about it you cant drift with cup in the water... the g forces alone would make it spill. yes it can help you learn to shift smoother and what not but thats not the point. drifting no matter how smooth you are it will spill no point in discussing this any further. there is maybe .0001 percent chance someone in this world can do it. the main reason he had the cup was to drive uphill with tofu as to not break tofu.
Cappuccino, 2 sugars
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 03:55 PM

Laugh Now, Laugh Later

Member No.: 28,161

you could just put a plastic top on the cup. who wants to dirty the interioir of their car? rolleyes.gif
Absent
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 04:08 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 24,855

I've driven to work with a hot mug of tea both either between my legs or in a cup holder without spilling any, does that count? fear2.gif
Cappuccino, 2 sugars
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 04:10 PM

Laugh Now, Laugh Later

Member No.: 28,161

QUOTE (Absent @ Today at 9:08 AM)
I've driven to work with a hot mug of tea both either between my legs or in a cup holder without spilling any, does that count? fear2.gif

in theory that makes you a drift king. whistling.gif congrats!
red comet 7
Posted: Mar 19 2008, 08:26 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 24,875

QUOTE (hatchi-roku1984 @ Yesterday at 3:50 PM)
if you really think about it you cant drift with cup in the water... the g forces alone would make it spill. yes it can help you learn to shift smoother and what not but thats not the point. drifting no matter how smooth you are it will spill no point in discussing this any further. there is maybe .0001 percent chance someone in this world can do it. the main reason he had the cup was to drive uphill with tofu as to not break tofu.

you know what just because im tired of people like you making these statements, im gonna actually give some proof.

Very soon i will post a vid on here of me in my experimenting with the cup of water.

If i can drift without spilling the water, discussion over with. It will be proof enough that it CAN be done. And im no pro either.

and if i can't do it, well then we get a good look at some of the reason's why it wont work.

mainly im tired of everyone jumpin on here sayin it wont work, or it will when they have no clue, and have never tried themselves and are just tryin to act like hot shit.

we'll have visual proof soon enough...
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 12:32 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 27,131

actually, the water cup trick does make sense...

i have taken some lessons about performance driving, and they said that you have to utilize the full potential of the car, without going over the limit(which you would then over or understeer).

so with a g-meter, you would have a circle with the radius be about 1.1g(tire's limits), you would have to have a smooth semi-circle tracing around the edge of "the limit" but don't go over...

and you don't want to have a "star shape" on the g-meter either, because then you would be going extremly slow... you need to overlap braking with turning, and unwinding with accelerating

same thing with the delivery... you want to roll the water around the edge, if you are rough(the star shaped g-meter graph) then you will spill the water... if you drive like a maniac, you would spill the water over the rim of the cup.

so the cup of water, prompts takumi to drive fast, but good.
atlantian
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 09:59 AM

IDW God Member

[B][B]bump sweatingbullets.gif[/B][/B]

This post has been edited by atlantian on Mar 24 2008, 10:00 AM
thx712517
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 12:19 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 23,877

No need to bump an active topic. I'd like to see the video as well. I don't doubt that it can be done. I'm pretty confident it can be done, considering all the driving I've done with shallow cupholders. What I'm curious to explore is whether or not driving with the cup of water limits the performance of the car? Slaloms, as an example, where high g-loading is necessary to have a good segment time.
atlantian
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 01:19 PM

IDW God Member

then i guess aiming to get a circle on a g-meter is more consistant then practice driving with a cup of water

EDIT: because it would achieving the same goal without ruining your upholstry, exept the g-meter would have to include an "acceleration alarm" when you speed up or slow down to abruptly

This post has been edited by atlantian on Mar 24 2008, 01:21 PM
red comet 7
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 02:01 PM

IDW Regular Member

The FC is having problems at the moment, IF it gets back on its feet we'll have the vid...
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 06:34 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

As I said in my previous post, it doesnt actually mention that takumi drives as fast as he can without spilling the water.

1. When driving with natsuki to the beach, he says that he was only driving like he normally does in order not to spil the water in the cup when transporting the tofu. I doubt he would have driven fast with natsuki in the car...

2. He also mentioned, he attempted to go faster and faster without spilling the water to smooth out his driving, but for all we know, he could have been making a transition from 20mph up to 21mph.....

If you want to drive at the limit or at any reasonable speed , there is no chance that a cup of water in your car will not spill.

Maybe if your on an ice rink........
atlantian
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 06:39 PM

IDW God Member

yeah, but in order not to spill, you have to accelerate smoothly...
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 24 2008, 08:09 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (atlantian @ Today at 7:39 PM)
yeah, but in order not to spill, you have to accelerate smoothly...

Are there any other newsflashes you have for us?
atlantian
Posted: Mar 25 2008, 07:51 AM

IDW God Member

hehehe, sorry, nothing else tongue.gif
red comet 7
Posted: Mar 25 2008, 08:13 PM

IDW Regular Member

i get the FC back tomorrow. so hopefully we will have a vid soon...if anyone still cares.
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 25 2008, 08:27 PM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (red comet 7 @ Today at 8:13 PM)
i get the FC back tomorrow. so hopefully we will have a vid soon...if anyone still cares.

yes please, I wish you luck in drifting without spilling water from a cup.

If you can drive fast, let alone drift without spilling water i will be very impressed.

make sure you put a decent amount of water in the cup, obviously not too much,but enough. cool.gif

looking forward to seeing this video w00t2.gif
Meteor
Posted: Mar 25 2008, 08:33 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

looking forward to seeing this video w00t2.gif

Same here w00t2.gif
red comet 7
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 07:08 PM

IDW Regular Member

well got the FC back, with a new blow off valve and boost guage. i love it. grin2.gif

so we'll prolly have a vid before long. wink2.gif keep your fingers crossed!
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 07:12 PM

IDW Goldmember

Hopefully your next post will actually have the video and not an update about what you haven't done yet.
red comet 7
Posted: Mar 26 2008, 07:32 PM

IDW Regular Member

nothing's stopin you from makin a vid either. wink2.gif
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 01:42 AM

IDW Goldmember

But I'm not the one claiming that I can drift without spilling water.
red comet 7
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 07:11 AM

IDW Regular Member

Patience, just chill you'll have it soon
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:56 PM

IDW Prime Member

Come on, its been 4 days and no video...

The suspense is killing me, especially to see this done in a great car such as the rx7.

This post has been edited by djmisio85 on Mar 29 2008, 06:56 PM
GAStarion
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 05:14 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 28,994

The reason the cup was put in Takumi's car wasn't to teach him to drift - it was because as he got bored, he drove faster and faster to get it over with... After he damaged all the tofu in one trip - potentially affecting the business relationship with his father's shop and the hotel, his father put the cup in to slow him down - not to train him.

So the only reason to have the cup of water, based on the Manga/Anime, is to slow someone down to a speed/style of driving where they don't do something stupid.

So from this perspective, yes, the cup works as long as you don't spill it. The only advantage Takumi gained from that was that he didn't make Natsuki sick when he drove her. ( Consistent accelerator, Consistent brake, no sudden moves... A smooth drive ).

As for drifting, if you exceed the sideways G-forces, you're going to spill it and physics defines this based on the speed and radius of the turn... It's basic stuff.

Also, the water will rotate as you go around the corner... No suprises there.

However the later idea the story presented was that Takumi developed a better driving technique by going as fast as he could without spilling the water. I would guess this was due to avoiding making *fast* or *sudden* changes to direction.

A well sustained drift doesn't cause any more or less G-forces than grip driving, however the teqnique used to initiate the drift sure can smile.gif

Also, the water has momentum, so suddenly turning or drifting from the straight will be more likely to cause spillage of the water, as it's momentum will keep it climbing the sides even after the G-forces are equalised with the angle of the water, so the likely assumption to make about using a cup of water is that it would teach you how to let the G-forces build gradually on both entry/exit from a corner.

The only other factor is the spinning of the car around the CoG, which would be really close to the cup holder. If you drifted the car "Arab Style", spinning around like a top, and the Cup was at the CoG, it wouldn't spill, so (and this is conjecture) perhaps by causing the drift, it may allow you to reorient the car and achieve the optimal line (which doesn't exceed the Max G's of the cup) while using the vector of the thrust from the wheels to set the car such that the direction upon exit is optimal. But even though this is theoretical, this would only give you an advantage in terms of not spilling the cup if you couldn't follow the same line with Grip that you could with Drift.

GAStarion.

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »