Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Himika Akaneya - Stereo Sunset (Prod. AmPm)

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 1,783  ·  Replies: 0 
> Keyboard Flight controls, A Compare/Contrast I'm doing.
DigiBunny
  Posted: Aug 25 2013, 06:30 AM

Reading is magic!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 30,700

So I've been playing Strike Suit Zero, and there are a few things I'm not so keen about. This leads me to think I might be able to make something that feels better.

The MAIN issue I had with it was that I couldn't just neglect using a mouse and go full keyboard, as I usually prefer. Instead of steering with a mouse, I would have used QE, WS, and AD for Yaw, Pitch, and Roll respectively. I would then assign I and K for Accel/Deccel.

When I TRIED this, it worked up until I had to do some precision targeting and repositioning. Because keyboards are normally not weighted, I can't set a turn rate for a certain button, which means no matter how far away you are from a target, you will always turn at the same rate. A mouse, or an analog stick, naturally does not have this problem as pronounced. It also doesn't help that, when I let friends try it out, their main remark is that my flight control format is confusing.

My main solution to the turning rate issue is to set it to scale inversely with how fast you're going. So it feels a little more controlled when you're trying to dogfight at speed, versus quickly turning around in the vaccum of space.

I'd like to ask everyone's general opinion on a Mouse/Keyboard flight control setup, and my proposed solution. I'll probably post a build when I'm happy with what I've got.