Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Dusty - Crazy For Love

Views: 10,386  ·  Replies: 6 
> A Guide to beginning Driving and Drifting
RickkyyP
    Posted: Aug 25 2013, 02:34 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,137

Hi people, apologies if this has been posted before.
I remembered reading years ago and amazing guide about perfecting and learning good driving technique, I didn't write it (but don't let that put you off wink2.gif ) i'd forgotten all about it, but stumbled across the link in an old favourites archive.

http://www.rotarywiki.com/index.php?title=Driving_Technique

I really think theres info there that could help a lot of people, hopefully I'm not reposting common knowledge!

Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 25 2013, 02:42 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Unfortunately since the advent of eBooks the free version of this guide was taken offline, but it's still available in eBook form and is widely respected as a wonderful guide for those who like to read about proper techniques to actually make you fast:

http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/knowledge.html

Keep in mind, however, that it doesn't matter how many guides you read... there's no replacement for actual practice, and being instructed in a formal race environment is priceless.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RickkyyP
  Posted: Aug 25 2013, 02:56 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 41,137

I've heard a lot of good stuff about that one, never got around to buying it though, maybe I will now.

Completely agree with you about practice being the only thing to help, but at least it lets you focus your practice. I remember in series 1 where Iketani is trying to improve his laptimes, but all he can think of is pushing the throttle more. At least guides give you focus and exercises to practice.

The best experience I ever had was a day at Silverstone in a race prepped MX5 with slick tires. I learned a huge amount, and had so much fun.

This post has been edited by RickkyyP on Aug 25 2013, 02:56 PM
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 25 2013, 09:24 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Rule #1: Never pass an American car on the outside.
Rule #2: Brake before the turn, never during.
Rule #3: Fatigue sneaks up on you. If you go more than 2 wheels off, go into the pits and meditate for a few seconds, if nothing else.
Rule #4: Grass is a racing surface.
Rule #5: It's really expensive to be a bonehead, and you won't make any friends.

I like driving on track with street tires. Slicks let you get away with a lot of stupidity, and that's no way to train yourself out of bad habits. It's good to learn in a "momentum car." If you learn to drive a slow car fast, the skill scales up to fast cars. If you learn to hold on while you somehow scramble a fast car around a track, you're going to be terrible in a slow one.
Spaz
Posted: Aug 26 2013, 07:13 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 9 hours, 49 minutes ago)
Rule #1: Never pass an American car on the outside.
Rule #2: Brake before the turn, never during.
Rule #3: Fatigue sneaks up on you. If you go more than 2 wheels off, go into the pits and meditate for a few seconds, if nothing else.
Rule #4: Grass is a racing surface.
Rule #5: It's really expensive to be a bonehead, and you won't make any friends.

I like driving on track with street tires. Slicks let you get away with a lot of stupidity, and that's no way to train yourself out of bad habits. It's good to learn in a "momentum car." If you learn to drive a slow car fast, the skill scales up to fast cars. If you learn to hold on while you somehow scramble a fast car around a track, you're going to be terrible in a slow one.

1: Depends, really. Safe passes can be made on any car in a corner under the right conditions.

2: No, just no. Even without ABS, proper pedal modulation can allow for effective trail braking, leading to higher top speeds on straights and lower split times. Getting trapped in the thinking that the brake pedal is an on-off switch on the track is the reason for advice like this.

3: Yes. A million times yes. It's time to cool down if you push that hard.

4: Another yes. Can go along with #1, especially with an AWD car. As long as you've got at least one clutched diff and need to make a pass, inside of the apex curb and outside of the track-out curb are definitely parts of the racing line.

5: Smoother is faster, despite rougher being more fun and exciting. Pedal control and light steering inputs will turn faster times.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 27 2013, 01:10 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Spaz @ Yesterday, 10:13 AM)
2: No, just no. Even without ABS, proper pedal modulation can allow for effective trail braking, leading to higher top speeds on straights and lower split times. Getting trapped in the thinking that the brake pedal is an on-off switch on the track is the reason for advice like this.

Add the word "start" to the beginning of that rule. Easing off the brakes into a long corner is ok, but if you get on the pedal when you've already got some lateral G, that's a recipe for a spin. And that leads me to the next rule:

Rule #6: Don't hit the gas till you know you don't have to get back off it. (exception: You're one of those weird mini cooper guys that balances lots of little lifts to rotate the rear end.)

Rule 1 is a good one for 24 Hours of Lemons. Obviously it's out the window in Nascar, but it holds true for a lot of road racing series. I seem to recall Memo Rojas getting squeezed into the wall trying to pass a Camaro on the outside at last years Grand Am race at Indianapolis.
FullMoonKids
Posted: Aug 30 2013, 10:44 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 42,023

disagree on using the brake during a turn. breaking is a form of weight control when not used for slowing down. If their come a you need more weight on the front tires you can apply some break love.