Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Kessenmae!

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,067  ·  Replies: 13 
> The 25-Year Import Rule Shortened to 15?, For the Skylines!
Fast
  Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:35 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 23,986

The Department of Homeland Security spends a shockingly disproportionate amount of its budget not on security initiatives, but on customs seizures. In particular, importers of grey-market vehicles have been targeted by monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorism and terrorist activity. We call upon the Executive Branch to immediately cease this wasteful activity, and furthermore to change the DOT/EPA exemption time on grey-market vehicles from 25 years to 15 years (to match the vehicle regulations of Canada), recognizing that the 25-year rule was enacted due to support from special interests such as Mercedes Benz North America.

It won't hurt to spend all of 2-3 minutes to sign it. Here's to hoping...
JEV
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 08:00 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,661

Already signed, it but I'm still iffy on the security funds part, cause smugglers still use cars for smuggling things.
JKaiba
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 08:08 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

The cars would still have to enter the country through a Registered Importer as they did with Motorex and my 79 Fairlady. Note that this isn't just "for the Skylines" as it would essentially be the same rules that currently exist today for all cars over 25 years of age. It would still have to pass state requirements for register which means an RB will be a no no unless your state doesn't do emissions or can grant you an exemption. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Certainly though there would be a much greater demand for researching the expensive as hell government mandated emissions control hard/software for the RB necessary to do things like California smog if the cars themselves weren't so damn impossible to bring in.

Anyhow, as with the WME thread-

Here's some extra information from Sean Morris' blog.

http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/11/petition-fo...5-year-old.html

I'm
user posted image

And I approve this message

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Nov 15 2011, 08:15 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 10:10 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Signed. It'd be nice to be able to get ICE and HS off of the backs of law-abiding citizens who want to drive cool cars. First stop, import cars. Next stop, firearms?

Promote the law-abiding citizens!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 10:21 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The problem with this, as with changing any law is that implementing a law is easy; you get some votes, some signatures, and it's done. Changing a law requires a lot more, as there are always two sides to every story, and, like tint laws, some arm of the government is going to do what they can to stop it, and if that arm is any part law enforcement, good luck.

I'll still sign, I want my Cappuccino.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
JKaiba
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 10:36 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Law enforcement has no real reason to feel overtly threatened by this law. 25 year old non North American cars are already driveable into the country for up to 6 months at a time by Canadian nationals who just need to hop back into Canada, and sign some paperwork that grants them the ability to drive it back in for 6 more granted they have a valid reason for being in the USA. Same for things like the Mexican Renault cars and Ford Focus RSes. Consider also that while this opens up for legal importation of these vehicles, insurance still sets their own rules on how to insure them, whatever premiums they want to charge. You probably won't be seeing a massive dump of imported cars on the roads. If anything- look at how Canada's motor vehicle market fares and you'll get a decent idea. Special interests from manufacturers are more likely to defeat this than anyone in law enforcement.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Nov 15 2011, 10:38 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 11:00 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Oh, since cmspaz mentioned the Cappucino it reminded me of a project car I saw the other day on Youtube that had me drooling like a moron. Some guy imported a Honda Beat (I'd love one of those in general!) then put a Hayabusa motor and drivetrain into it. Then used a Quaife differential to give it forward and reverse gearing.

Meaning he has a six-speed sequential that can do six speeds in forward or reverse. That's bad-ass. w00t2.gif

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLFrBQXT-5w )

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf46qgVyCMI )

More cars like this in the US? Yes plz.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Sensation!
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 02:07 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

signed, Signed, SIGNED.

Sorry but a lifted truck whose bumpers sit way above what should be a federal limit, you know, like your head, is ALOT more dangerous both physically and environmentally than any imported car. Except no one cares about the legality of one of them.

Car accidents are inevitable and douchebag drivers are inevitable as well, what car they choose to drive has nothing to with it. Its just a poor excuse to lay blame on a community you dont like.

To put it plainly, Id rather be in an accident involving some douche in frail imported jap car than the same douche in a lifted f-150.

Canada has very lax import laws, yet street racing there isnt any less of a problem as it is here. Allowing people to buy imported cars doesn't magically increase the amount of street racing or street racing related accidents, as there would be people who would street race regardless if they had an accord or a skyline.
And saying that someone who owns a skyline MUST be a street racer is like saying some who owns a gun MUST be a murderer.

Blame the person, not the car.
Seriously, why prevent someone from owning what they want to own?

Spaz
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 08:52 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 9 hours, 52 minutes ago)
Oh, since cmspaz mentioned the Cappucino it reminded me of a project car I saw the other day on Youtube that had me drooling like a moron. Some guy imported a Honda Beat (I'd love one of those in general!) then put a Hayabusa motor and drivetrain into it. Then used a Quaife differential to give it forward and reverse gearing.

Meaning he has a six-speed sequential that can do six speeds in forward or reverse. That's bad-ass. w00t2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLFrBQXT-5w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf46qgVyCMI

More cars like this in the US? Yes plz.

But that's the beauty of the Cappuccino, it's got a bike motor already. The factory 7k redline was just arbitrary, just slap on a bigger turbo (read: $30 DSM T25) and take it up to 11!
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Ayako Watanabe
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 12:54 PM

Living In A Amish Paradise

Member No.: 2,415

Signed. Maybe now, one day, I'll finally get a Suzuki Cappuccino and a R33 GT-R.
Jardim
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 04:52 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

Signed. I want a Evo 3.
Drew
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 04:56 PM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

Signed that shit.

Now we wait. This might just do something. 18k signors already?
Jardim
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 04:58 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

No, 6k.

18k is what we need by Dec 9.
Drew
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 05:39 PM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

Still a great start. Hope to see this sucker pass. Would love to get myself a Falcon Ute.

This post has been edited by Drew on Nov 16 2011, 05:39 PM