Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Promised Land~Bless into the Sunshine~ (Album Edit)

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 40,790  ·  Replies: 128 
> IDW My Little Pony Fanclub <3, For Bronies and Pegasisters of all ages!
Rudy
  Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:07 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)

This post has been edited by Rudy on Dec 29 2014, 11:05 AM
MetalMan777
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:19 PM

Snooping as usual

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 32,588

Dude, you have way too much time on your hands.
Spaz
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:35 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Cactus @ 15 minutes, 48 seconds ago)
Dude, you have way too much time on your hands.

This. You also know that a large part of this board has a negative opinion of the MLP/brony/grown adults watching TV shows for 5-year-old girls movement.

My eye, this thread. I get red links at the top of my page, it gets locked and recycled, people involved get little red stickers of friendship and happiness. No questions asked.

This post has been edited by Spaz on Apr 22 2012, 06:36 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Rudy
  Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:39 PM

Unregistered

Spaz
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:42 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Demon Boost @ 2 minutes, 29 seconds ago)
That's why I asked folks who weren't into this to stay out. I'm simply following the community's request to keep this stuff in a thread of it's own instead of spilling into other threads. Is that wrong of me to do? sad.gif

And I have no problem with that. I'm just throwing everything out on the table and advising that this stay drama-free, and stating my reasoning to be that this is a known controversial topic on here.
Rudy
  Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:45 PM

Unregistered

Saint
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:47 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

It's a pretty nice cartoon, at least from what I watched in episodes 1-2 quite some time ago (though it's not exactly the type I'd fancy). If you remove the pony image and replace them with normal human form, it'll be just like any other Cartoon Network cartoons. It's not that bad.

I guess it's the pony image the biggest problem to reach a wider audience (males). laugh.gif
Rudy
  Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:51 PM

Unregistered

MetalMan777
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:52 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Demon Boost @ 12 minutes, 51 seconds ago)
That's why I asked folks who weren't into this to stay out. I'm simply following the community's request to keep this stuff in a thread of it's own instead of spilling into other threads. Is that wrong of me to do? sad.gif

I mean, it's no different from a thread for, say, Star Trek... or Doctor Who.

Ok, I'm sorry. You're not causing any harm to anybody, I've got no right to judge.

But riddle me this, why is it that this show is so damn popular with people FAR outside the intended demographic? I've got (well, friend isn't the right word here, and I'm not entirely sure if this is right either) peers who are seriously into it. Disney, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and others have been making movies and shows for ages that are made for kids but have enough mature humor to keep adults engaged and even entertained. What makes My Little Pony special? Why is it better than, say, Avatar: The Last Airbender (I'll admit this is a guilty pleasure of mine), or The Goofy Movie? And what is it that puts this on the same level as Star Trek?
Saint
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:53 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Oh my CN time stopped after Hey Arnold days (that's CN I think). So, no. Haha.

Now the only American cartoons I watch are South Park and Spongebob.

The point is, it's not that horrible/gay.

This post has been edited by Saint on Apr 22 2012, 06:59 PM
Spaz
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:00 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Saint @ 7 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
Oh my CN time stopped after Hey Arnold days (that's CN I think). So, no. Haha.

Now the only American cartoons I watch are South Park and Spongebob.

Both Hey Arnold! and Spongebob are both Nickelodeon shows.

Notable CN stuff from that timeframe would be Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, and Ed, Edd, n Eddy, if you've seen any of those.
Saint
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:03 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Oh then it's during their time. Yeah I've watched them occasionally back then. Lol.

They all look the same to me; it's hard to discern and I'm too lazy to Google it. XD

Edit: I should have rephrased it as American cartoons in general rather than specifically Cartoon Network. pinch2.gif

This post has been edited by Saint on Apr 22 2012, 07:24 PM
crazym4n
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:12 PM

cruisin

Member No.: 29,529

You being serious brony?

This looks like the same animators from the powerpuff girls(which was a badass show) but these things are ponies...i dont think i could ever get over that seeing as im not 10 anymore.
Saint
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:25 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

I think Barbie is worse... pinch2.gif
Rudy
  Posted: Apr 22 2012, 08:09 PM

Unregistered

This post has been edited by Demon Boost on Apr 22 2012, 08:10 PM
RalliKai
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 08:15 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

QUOTE (Cactus @ 1 hour, 23 minutes ago)
What makes My Little Pony special? Why is it better than, say, Avatar: The Last Airbender (I'll admit this is a guilty pleasure of mine), or The Goofy Movie? And what is it that puts this on the same level as Star Trek?

I enjoyed the Avatar series and still do. One of the better shows Nickelodeon put out. Been following the Legend of Korra when I can.

This looks like the same animators from the powerpuff girls(which was a badass show) but these things are ponies...i dont think i could ever get over that seeing as im not 10 anymore.

Somebody told me it the creator of the powerpuff girls that worked on the current MLP series so that would certainly explain the similarities.
Rudy
  Posted: Apr 22 2012, 08:19 PM

Unregistered

Tessou
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 12:01 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Cactus @ Yesterday, 10:52 PM)
Ok, I'm sorry. You're not causing any harm to anybody, I've got no right to judge.

But riddle me this, why is it that this show is so damn popular with people FAR outside the intended demographic? I've got (well, friend isn't the right word here, and I'm not entirely sure if this is right either) peers who are seriously into it. Disney, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and others have been making movies and shows for ages that are made for kids but have enough mature humor to keep adults engaged and even entertained. What makes My Little Pony special? Why is it better than, say, Avatar: The Last Airbender (I'll admit this is a guilty pleasure of mine), or The Goofy Movie? And what is it that puts this on the same level as Star Trek?

I think you answered it yourself within this post. It's a guilty pleasure. We all have them.

Also, why is it strange for guys to like MLP, but not strange for girls to like Gundam (for instance)? The double standard is appalling. Public media is public media. Anybody can watch it regardless of whether or not they're the target demographic. Every show out there has a fanbase that isn't what the showrunners intended, and that's perfectly fine. It just means more money put into the economy from a more varied customer base.

Even crazym4n mentioned Powerpuff Girls as something he enjoyed. Tell me, is it wrong to like Powerpuff Girls even though it's very obviously meant for the young female demographic?

More and more shows are being made that speak to more than just the target market. Yes, the merchandising target is the big one, but networks are getting wise to the ratings they can also get from making things appealing to a broader market.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Hannah
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 02:41 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 8,296

There's just something about the show, a certain style or flavor, that appeals to me. It's possible that the love/time/effort put into the show and it's characters is the same as some cartoons from the early 90s to early 00s. Or maybe it's just Lauren Faust that's using subliminal brainwashing in all the work she did. unsure.gif
Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, PPG, etc etc. Just as appealing; is MLP FiM.

I kid, but, seriously. Thinking about it, this generation of ponies is just more appealing to me than the first 2. [I didn't watch G3] I had the dolls, I watched the cartoons religiously when I was small, but... this series just has more appeal, the characters have strong personalities, and flaws. It's got a steady storyline, the plot is episode-to-episode for the most part, and did I mention the characters actually have personality? yes.gif
crazym4n
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 03:51 PM

cruisin

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac9ZxPHjBdU )

fucking badass

edit- i think this was a commercial not an actual episode but still..

This post has been edited by crazym4n on Apr 23 2012, 03:51 PM
Spaz
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 05:57 PM

Group Icon

^ That was indeed an ad.

But let's not get too off topic in the MLP thread. wink2.gif
DigiBunny
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 08:20 PM

Reading is magic!

Member No.: 30,700

It's become a bit of a ritual for me to wake up at around 4am every Sunday to download the newest episode off youtube. I mean it WAS; but now that season 2's over, there's not a whole lot to do except browse Ponibooru while I wait for season 3's announcement date.

That being said; I went to a Ponycon hosted by members of my college a while back. There's something to be said about a group of strangers who don't really know each other being able to grin and sing along to the show, and immediately begin to mingle with just ponies to start off with.

My only regret is that I couldn't stay for the Trixie Pinata. I heard tell there was delicious diabetes to be found within her entrails.
Alastair
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 08:21 PM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

MLP. It's a show and I acknowledge that it exists.
Nappy Hared Azn
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 08:55 PM

Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?

Member No.: 1,828

^I challenge your claims. CITE YOUR SOURCES!
crazym4n
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 04:22 PM

cruisin

I think this video is related..lol

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-yA8U2XgI )

6 Pages  1 2 3 »