Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Jean Love - Movin' Up Moving Now

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

5 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 41,593  ·  Replies: 118 
> Accel Code, A not-so-complicated tale of multiple racers
Rin
  Posted: Jun 19 2014, 08:22 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,355

Hello. My name is Rin and I am the original creator, former author and current artist/illustrator of the original series; Accel Code. This project is originally made on WMExpressway, but now migrated here as I believe it will spark interest here too for the touge fans.

Now then, without further delay, allow me to start this properly.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1020 x 450. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

アクセルコード - Accel Code

Story Overview

The year is 2013. The mountain roads of Japan's Kanto region are controlled by an organisation known as The Defense Line. This system has ruled the mountain stage for years, and on the face of it, it's a change for the better. Eventually, some began to question their motives.

Characters

Saburo Misaka
SPOILER

Sakuya Ishiyama
SPOILER

Vanessa Andersson
SPOILER

Hatori Fuuyama
SPOILER

Musoku Shiranui
SPOILER

Aoi Kamiyama
SPOILER

Mayumi Itoh
SPOILER

Ayase Tsurugi
SPOILER

Ruka Saginomiya
SPOILER

Kagerou Kouka
SPOILER

About The Development Team

As some of you may have expected, this project isn't done solely by one individual, but by a group of very capable people. And they too will be here to share their moment with all here. So...by all means, thank you for the welcome and the team hope you will enjoy this non-profit project of ours! smile.gif

Consultant, Contributor, GFX Designer for the project: Imma_N00B and Mike (From WMExpressway)

Consultant, Author (Chapter 11 onwards), Contributor: Onboy (From ARM - Anime Recommendation Machine)

Contributor: Ruby Kyrie

Contributor: James (From WMExpressway)

Contributor...and a Mild Nuisance xD : Touya Shiro (From WMExpressway)

Original creator, Artist, Character Designer, Writer of Chapter 0-10: Rin

--------------------------------------------------------------

Code Ø: One-Eighty

Moonlight. It was a cool silent night at the winding roads of Happogahara mountain pass near the Tochigi Prefecture. And on the inbound path of the narrow road, there was a blue car cruising down the mildly bad conditioned asphalt route of the area. It was a clear night, and the moon shone brightly, helping in illuminating the twisty paths for the driver to navigate safely. The car was a Mazda, and it was drifting through a few curves along the way before entering a short straight path.

It carries a Tochigi license tag and it writes 12-54 on it. The Mazda was a Roadster NA6CE with bronze Speed Stars rims and it seems to be equipped with high-grip tyres. The driver siting on the red Recaro racing seat was a man clad in red jacket and black shirt. He has blonde-hair and brown eyes and his jaw has a fair amount of scruffiness on it.

“Well just great...another boring cruise tonight...all by myself. I doubt any racer would show up at this time though...” The driver thought in his mind, knowing that there are no drivers sane enough to drive casually at such a late night. It was 11:36 PM shown on his car’s digital clock.

As the blue Roadster drifted through a twisty curve again that went pass a checkpoint line that is painted on the tarmac, after a few seconds of silence...

All of a sudden there is another ray of light appearing from behind and there is another engine roar echoing through the road.

Returning back to the Roadster, the driver stomped on the brakes as he approaches a sharp hairpin on the left and steers hard. Engaging back to first gear, he releases the clutch gently and slowly accelerates again before coming to another hairpin on the left, he decelerates and hit on the brakes again. As he exit through the hairpin, the Roadster hugs the tarmac slowly and went to the outer lane, almost 25 centimeters of range between the car and the guardrail on that side.

But after a few seconds where the Roadster went through the hairpins, the mysterious light behind the Mazda blitzed through the hairpins with loud squeals of the rubber burning too. And not long after, the machine finally reveals itself to be a flip-up headlight Nissan. It was a black Nissan 180SX and it carries a Tochigi prefecture license tag with the number 95-64 on it. It also equips a set of bronze-coated Advan Racing RZ rims.

The Nissan was pushing it hard as flames are coming out if its tailpipe, condition wise, the front end of the 180 was rather beaten up, as there were dents everywhere and seems to have a replaced bonnet of the same model. One glimpse and it can easily be told that the car is anything but new or clean. Still, despite the scars, the Nissan remained steady and climbing its way towards the leading Mazda on the front, after passing two more consecutive corners and made its way to a hairpin leading to the right side.

As the Roadster drifts its way around 55 to 60 km/h on second gear, the car stalls a bit but the driver wishes to play it safe as he wasn’t time-attacking. As it went on the outer-lane after the successful exit from that U-turn, the Nissan finally shows up right behind him, within 200 meters now as a tiny speck of white light behind the Mazda Roadster’s rear-view. The driver notices that little flash behind him and was slightly surprised by it.

Judging from the sounds, he can definitely tell it’s a car coming from behind.

“What...? I thought I was alone, but I guess I spoke too soon...” The driver thought quietly. He then decides to step it on a notch and pressed on the gas pedal to increase his pace before he went into the tunnel that will lead him to the left-side hairpin. As he enters through that tunnel, he slams on the brakes, pulled a heel-and-toe on the pedals and steered hard on the steering wheel. The Roadster drifts its way onto the hairpin at the speed of a steady 70 km/h while maintaining at second gear and he is certain that the speck behind him would vanish at this point since even he knows not a lot of regular drivers could enter the speed around his range, unless they’re street racers too.

But as the Mazda cruised through the second hairpin, the 180 is already gaining ground slowly. The driver inside the car was a mysterious young man wearing a gray t-shirt. He gently engages the gear shift down to first gear and feathered on the gas pedal as he made his way towards the first hairpin. It was a grip-oriented maneuver as there’s barely any sliding on the rear tires. Then as he made his way towards the second hairpin to the right, he feathered on the gas pedal again and steered hard, the black Nissan hugged the inside of the lane steadily before making it all the way on the outside lane, missing the guardrail by a good 5 centimeter.

Back to the Mazda’s view, the blonde driver noticed that the speck of light has grown bigger by a great deal and the sound of the engine was very loud behind him. He realized that the car behind him is gaining ground and is slowly breathing down on his neck...

“That’s just two hairpins! Don’t tell me that guy’s already gaining this much ground? I am not holding back here, man!” The Mazda driver panicked. But slowly he took a deep breath before he calmed down and tightened his hold on his steering wheel.

“That’s right, don’t need to panic...the guy must be lucky just now...! That engine sound...it might be a GTR...” He thought. But even he he glanced back at the rear-view mirror for a second, he still couldn’t quite see the car because of the bright headlights. Between him and the mysterious 180, the gap was at least 80 meters. The black car continued to accelerate forward while the Roadster continued to escape from its chaser as they made their way through the long straight before the two curves that leads them towards another long straight path.

Both cars plowed through the double curves at a fair-speed of 90 km/h, but the 180 seemed to have taken a more risky lane. Its cornering angle was so deep inside the ideal lining range that it almost grazed the inner lane’s guardrail. The 180’s tires caught up some dirt along the way, but it didn’t faze its motion at all as the driver remained steady and calm with his judgment on the traditional out-in-out driving point.

As they continued on to the straight lane that lead to the four-snake hairpins, the Roadster braked hard and entered its first tight hairpin. The Mazda turned hard on its left as it went through the outer lane of the exit in preparation for the second hairpin on the right.

The 180 followed from behind, as it hugged the hairpin on a sharper angle compared to the Roadster, it gained more ground on the Roadster and it’s already 30 meters behind the leading Mazda on its way to the second hairpin.

The driver inside the Mazda has decided that he won’t look back at the mirror as it could very well distract him, but he can definitely tell that the Nissan is dangerously close behind him and it’s climbing steadily. If he didn’t think of something fast to counter the constant attack from the rear, he will be in big trouble. He can feel his palms and side cheeks all sweaty...the pressure is getting on to him slowly...

“The guy’s climbing to my head...dammit!” The blonde driver thought in panic. “I don’t know what the guy’s driving, but he’s breathing down to my neck...!”

“...”

The driver inside the black Nissan remained calm as they made pass the third hairpin. As both of them slammed on the brakes and slide through the hairpin’s outer lane to the inner part, the Roadster is showing signs of tire wear on its end as the rear is starting to slide slowly outside from its usual angle and even wobbled slightly, while the black 180 is still somewhat steady in its drift cornering. The driver inside the black Nissan can tell the blue Mazda is losing grip on its rear tires.
As the Roadster inevitably swerve to the outside enough for a car to pass through on the inner lane...

The 180 took its chance and went through the opening, passing the Mazda smoothly and brake hard on the final hairpin towards the left side.

“Oh crap!” The driver in the Mazda couldn’t do anything but watch as the car passes him and as he examined the car...he couldn’t believe that the black Nissan was banged up and seemed so dirty and...unlike anything he expected to be for a machine capable of keeping up with his new-looking Mazda Roadster. “A 180SX? Pretty banged up one too...who’s that guy?”

The Mazda driver couldn’t see the one inside the 180SX, but it is confirmed that he has met someone with great skills. The overtake was smooth, clean and doesn’t seemed rushed in anyway. But he wasn’t about to give it up just yet...

“You’re pretty good, whoever you are...but this is far from over!”

“...”

The black Nissan driver remained calm and silent, like a cold piece of machine operating, he is drawn out of his attention on anything that would otherwise distract him from his objective. The driver is a brown-haired young man with heterochromatic eyes of brown and red. He also wears a rather cold expression, but it is impossible to judge on how he is feeling on the race.

But one thing is for certain, he is now freed from an obstacle and it’s only a matter of perseverance in his concentration and determination to get a job done.

As they reached to the curve at the end of the straight after they passed the four-snake-hairpins, the black Nissan decelerate and hugged the inner curve on the left-side corner and came out of the exit gently, but due to its speed on the entry was slightly faster than intended, the car swerved outside a bit more than intended.

The 180 tapped on the outer-lane’s guardrail for a bit of a good measure before maintaining its usual lining.

As the driver saw the next sharp but wide turn incoming to the right side, he braked for a half-second before he feathered on his gas pedal and steered hard. The 180 responds quickly and hugged on the inner lane once it made its way to the outer line for a good measure. The 180 almost grazed the guardrail on the inside as it came out of the exit again with a smooth out-in-out maneuvering.

The Nissan cleared the consecutive sharp turns and accelerated away before it plowed through the gentle curve on the left side again at the speed of 110 km/h, only to get followed by the Roadster from behind.

But from the looks of it, the Mazda seemed to have given up on a desperate chase as the driver is no longer flooring it...

Their distance gap has widened so much that the Nissan 180SX is almost but a pair of dim red lights in front of the mirrors of the blue Mazda...

“.....no way...!” The Mazda driver thought in shock. Everything was happening so quickly, yet it seemed anything but unusual, as he realize his car’s tires are failing him, he cannot go any faster. From how the Nissan caught up to him just now all the way to how he overtook him and left him behind, it was all so ordinarily happened, that he rather cannot believe just how normal everything was.

As he pondered on, the black Nissan accelerated more and pulled away further and further. After clearing a few more gentle consecutive curves across the twisty and bumpy asphalt of Happogahara, the Nissan finally disappears into the night.

Back to the Roadster, the driver finally gave up and parked his car on the side of the road and flashed on its hazard lights. As he got out from the car’s driver seat, the man gazed upon the darkness on the tarmac ahead of him. The driver was already gone, but the impact left by him during the sudden overtake has left quite a mark on his mind.

“I never knew anyone that can drive like that...other than the locals...! And of all things, he drove a banged-up 180 and still can go that fast...he sure is something, whoever he is.” The man thought out loud as he grabbed a small box of cigarettes out from his shirt and took a bite on one of them and hangs it on his mouth as he reached for his other pocket and find a lighter to lit the cigar up.

He took a small puff on the weed and exhaled a mouthful of smokes, before wiping off some sweat on his forehead with a handkerchief.

“...I wonder if he’ll show up again on this pass? To be bested by a car as dented as that Nissan and in such a simple way; I guess I still have some catching up to do..might as well report back to the team for what happened tonight. We may still have some rivals to deal with after all...! Humph...” The driver mumbled as he took another puff from his cigar and stared at the night skies. The moon lit up the scene beautifully as the breeze accompanied the landscape across the mountain pass...

-----------------------------------------

Back to the 180, at this point, it already reached to the end of the mountain pass and it’s parked on the nearest PA field nearby a small shop that sells some snacks and other minor utilities. They even sell a few spare tires for tourists or drivers that are practicing on the Happogahara pass. There were many different brands, such as Potenza, Michelin and Goodyear.

The driver was inside the shop and he is speaking to the owner in search of something.
“Oh, it’s you, Misaka! How have you been?” The chubby shopkeeper asked with a big grin. He carried a big blue steel-box that seemed to be tools for a garage as it was packed to the brim with nuts, bolts, screwdrivers, wrenches and even a cross-wheel wrench. He closed the box and passed it to the driver.

“...been better, Mr. Onizuka.” Misaka sighed with a rather irritated expression. He doesn’t seem to be pleased with carrying such a heavy box of tools around him, but nonetheless he does it anyway. “I swear...this is the last time I do delivery for Sakuya...she’s always so forgetful when it comes to buying parts and I have to clean up after her.”

“Don’t fret. That’s how some hardworking mechanics are, really.” Onizuka chuckled. “Sometimes they can be so busy that they tend to let their scatterbrain-side take over once in a while.”

“She could use some basic responsibility if you ask my opinion...anyway, no extra charges on the spare tire I hope?” Misaka asked, looking dull still.

“Nah, you can keep it. You’re still my old customer, regardless of everything else.” Onizuka replied with an eyebrow raised.

“Hmm, thanks then.”

“Anytime, kiddo. By the way...” Onizuka turned his attention to the black 180 outside his shop. “...thought of fixing that front bonnet of your car yet, kid?”
“When I feel like it.” Misaka answered simply.

“Heh...boy, I bet it’ll be embarrassing if a sucker tries to fish you up just because your car looks like a junker. Also, if you want to; I can recommend some great-pay part-time job to earn some cash, if you’re not furthering your studies at college or universities that is...”

“...”

Misaka had no comment about that remark. He wasn’t even certain if that’s the case at all in general. Back in his days, the car was all he could get when his parents left him to live alone due to his independence and their overseas business have taken priority over the family. Much as he doesn’t have much to complain about, he has to admit; it may really be the time now to get a proper job and get some money to take care of the car that his parents left for him since two years ago when he finally got his driving license.

“Appreciate it. But maybe next time.” Misaka insisted as he turns around and walked outside the shop. Once he puts the tools on the passenger seat, his brown long pants vibrated a bit on his left pocket. He reached for the mobile phone inside it. The phone was a black Motorola Razr MAXX, and it was playing a ringtone of powerful rock guitar solo that seemed like something out of the classical Iron Maiden band.

“Oh dear...” Misaka sighed as he turned down the phone’s volume back from 80% to 50% due to the loud guitar riff tone. One look at the screen and he knows it’s Sakuya Ishiyama that called him. He answered the phone and placed it on his ear. “Hey, Sakuya...couldn’t you at least--”

“HEY, SABURO!! HAVE YOU GOT WHAT I WANTED?!” A loud, tomboyish female voice boomed out of the speakers on Misaka’s phone as it flinched him a little back. Misaka groaned in anger as he clears the wax out of his ears and slowly put back on the phone.

“...yes, Sakuya. Look, don’t make me do this all the time, alright? I can’t always go out there and fetch what you forgot to buy...especially not on such a late night. The next time you ask me do this again, I am gonna toss whatever I have fetched from your shop back to your face.”

“Okay, okay, I am sorry!! But please, I am kinda busy here with my Ford Granada, so just bear with me on this one, okay? Pretty please?!” Sakuya begged with a sweet, sweet tone, as much as she can to try and bail out of the guilt of trouble that she asked Misaka to do the fetching on her tools. “Now please come on back, Saburo. We don’t have all night here, even my uncle has gone off boozing and 120% says it’s gonna be an all-night-binge.”

“...I am not going to help you on this any further. I got stuff to do tomorrow and I am tired as hell now.” Saburo snap back with an unamused expression. He took a glimpse on his digital watch and it shows that it’s already 12:02 A.M. Midnight.

“Of course not, silly! You already helped me a big bunch on this one, man!”

“I'll just bring these to your garage and I am gonna split without looking back, is that alright with you?” Saburo asked with his eyebrows raised, not feeling impressed or half-convinced with Sakuya’s half-hearted gratitude.

“Yes, yes, if you do that, I’ll WORSHIP you, My Prince!” Sakuya giggled with a snort.

“...I’ll be at your place by 15 minutes.” Saburo ignored her and said what needs to be said.

“ARIGATOU!!” Sakuya squealed and made a kissy sound on Saburo’s phone speakers. Feeling a bit awkward by her direct approach on affection, Saburo shook his head, rolled his eyes and hung up the phone before he stuck it back to his pocket.

“...” Saburo let out another sigh as he went back into his car. Before he starts up the engine, he took one more glimpse on the moonlight.

“The mountains are too quiet lately...”

Meanwhile, at the Harima International Airport near the Saitama Prefecture, there were passenger planes passing by even during midnight, and there are countless passengers from every country that seem to be finding a place to rest for a while after along flight inside the airport station.

As one more plane lands slowly on the open airfield, it was a City Airline-branded Embraer ERJ 145 plane, and the report on the flight announcement board states that it is from Sweden to Japan.

Soon as the plane came slowly to a full-stop, the passengers got out from the plane when the stairs were rolled towards the exit door on the machine.

Among the passengers, one of them stood out slowly and made it through the steps. It was a young girl and she seems to be more busy examining the surroundings of the midnight skies at the land of Japan, rather than being concerned about her being late to check in for her flight arrival. She took a quick glance around her and proceed with taking a deep breath before exhaling.

As the wind blew through her brown ponytailed hair, her serene blue, almond-shaped eyes glanced towards the large airport station of the Saitama Prefecture. She was wearing a blue hoodie with an inner layer of orange cotton shirt. Her hoodie is filled with many badges of different vibrant colors, she also wears a fairly short yellow dress accompanied with a brown leather belt that has an extra belt that was made for simple styling on her left side of the dress. Complete with a pair of green-black striped stockings and grayish black boots that were metal-plated on the bottom with a green highlight on the top of the zip. She seems to be the person that doesn’t like to tie her shoes, so this makes it easy for her to wear it at anytime even when she may be in a rush sometimes.

She also has a big, somewhat smug smile on her face, as she raised an eyebrow easily, she finally found her voice in remark of her destination.

“So this is Japan huh...? Sweet! I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me here!”
As she slowly walks down with her luggage and backpack together, her phone rang and it was worn around her neck with s pink ribbon. She unzipped her hoodie and took out the iPhone 5 that was ringing about. The touch-screen display shows it was from “Uncle”. Without any delay, she answered the call.

“Hello, uncle!” The petite girl squealed with a slight tone of mischief as she walks slowly towards the airport and left the stairs with the plane together behind. “Yes, just got there, right on schedule! Oh, and thanks for bringing my car along! You left it at the garage of Mr. Suzuki, right?”

“Yes, Vanessa, just like everything you planned to...now you go have fun with your stay, okay? Love you, sugar. Be sure to call back or email me once in a while, eh?” The voice of a caring, gentle man said through the speakers of the iPhone.

Vanessa couldn’t help but smile happily hearing that. Inside her heart, she felt like hopping around like a child.

“I will, I will! Promise, uncle!! Thank you so much!”

“Oh, and one more thing...stay out of trouble and don’t get into street racing too much. They’ve a tight law enforcement there, be careful out there, okay?”

“No problemo, uncle! Vanny would never jump out of line! You know me, anyway, I am checking in and I will call back once I am at the Aunt Rachel’s house! Goodbye! I love you, uncle!!”

Vanessa kissed the iPhone before hanging up the phone. She has a feeling that this will be a great start of her life outside her own country from the main capital of Sweden, Stockholm. She raised an eyebrow once more with her usual smugly grin and walks inside the airport as the airconditioned air surrounds her body.

“Now then...what shall I start with after this?”

- つづく -

This post has been edited by Rin on Jun 19 2014, 08:34 AM
OkamiWind
Posted: Jun 19 2014, 08:26 AM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,468

And the winner of the best fan fic writer goes to...you man.

Seriously, no matter how much I read this fic I always feel so freakin' nubbish. Everything is done pretty well man...

...Now that I think about, recently...where the hell is Vanessa?! Did she go poof?
Rin
  Posted: Jun 19 2014, 08:38 AM

IDW Expert Member

Much thanks Okami. Though you're giving me too much credit. As mentioned here I don't do all the work alone. My team deserve much too for being awesome in helping out this project in every way they can.

And Vanessa...heh...you'll just have to wait and see... wink2.gif
Onboy
Posted: Jun 19 2014, 08:40 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 43,952

Don't be so flattering, we're not even started yet.

Bear with the relatively flat story telling for now, it's the best the editor can do without a complete rewrite.

Things will pick up though, so yea, apart from "stick with it for now", I can't say much more.

Rin
  Posted: Jun 19 2014, 08:41 AM

IDW Expert Member

^ What this guy said. biggrin.gif

Without him, I'll be swimming in swamps until now lol. laugh2.gif
Tuners123
Posted: Jun 19 2014, 10:20 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 42,841

I already read it on another forum(wmexpressway),and it's good,but to me,it's somehow drifted away by not mentioning the main character in some chapter
Rin
  Posted: Jun 19 2014, 04:01 PM

IDW Expert Member

QUOTE (Tuners123 @ 5 hours, 40 minutes ago)
I already read it on another forum(wmexpressway),and it's good,but to me,it's somehow drifted away by not mentioning the main character in some chapter

That's because we're trying to avoid making the series revolve too much in only one character alone. That way, we'll be able to achieve some balance in focus of our rather big cast roster. Nothing good comes out of too much focus on the main character alone.

Thus, for now...ANY characters could very well be the main character here since we have big plans for many of them. =)

Keep on reading. You won't regret it. =D
Onboy
Posted: Jun 19 2014, 04:22 PM

IDW Member

...tsk. Stahp copying me, I said that first.

Hmppph~

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Rin
  Posted: Jun 19 2014, 04:25 PM

IDW Expert Member

Just following your example. XD
Randy
Posted: Jun 19 2014, 07:02 PM

The Aspiring Sprinter

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 32,890

OkamiWind wasn't kidding when he says this may win an award. This certainly blows many fics out of the water! And this is just the PROLOGUE!

I am interested to see what is in store in future now...keep up the good work, mate. And welcome to idforums! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Randy on Jun 19 2014, 07:02 PM
Rin
  Posted: Jun 21 2014, 06:39 AM

IDW Expert Member

Hopefully the readers are prepared for the next chapter. smile.gif

Here we go.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Code 1: The Blackened Path

It wasn’t too long before what happened last night went buzzing across the vast and infinite world of the net itself.

The BBS boards of the Japan-Series Racing SV [Street Version] were bombarded with on the Tochigi section where there is a hot-topic entitled “Unknown Driver”.

As the arrow cursor moves towards it and with a single click on the topic, the page loads instantly and were filled to the brim with multiple posts of discussion about what happened.

Everyone was talking about the mysterious black Nissan 180SX that passed the Mazda Roadster last night at Happogahara.

There were even rumors stating that it may be a professional driver on a practice run. But rumors don’t mean much unless there’s proof of it. Everyone was making up their own theories and assumptions as to who may be the mysterious driver that managed to defeat the driver in the Roadster so simply.

From outside the monitor screen, a redhead was seen scrolling down on the mouse and checking on the posts made by the users inside. She was slurping up a large cup of Pepsi ice-cream float on her left hand.

The tomboy has long red hair with intense-looking green eyes, and has a plaster on her nose with some bandage rounded on her neck, as if she is still recovering from some injuries. She wears a sleeveless orange shirt with a black leather jacket that has its long sleeves rolled up. The jacket also has many badges of many kind, and one of the more noticeable one was a Ford emblem on her left sleeve, and a McLaren emblem on her lower waist.

She also wears several minor accessories to complete her defiant, rebellious look as a tomboy that she is such as an S-shaped necklace, a yellow wristband and two orange rubber-wristbands on her other hand. Her two last fingers on her left hand were prosthetic and were made of gray-metal. It was definitely a treatment for a nasty accident that may have caused her to lose the last two fingers, but she was nonetheless getting used to the metallic feel on her left hand.

She wears an orange dress complimented with asymmetrical stockings, a black and white stripe pattern on her right and a blue one on her left.

As she reads through the posts, she turns her attention back to the Ford Granada that is sitting idly at the rather spacious garage next to her not-so-organized desk. It was filled with tools and small mechanical parts that were either swapped out or spares, or even replacements at some cases as some of them were still wrapped in a plastic bag. The wooden desk wasn’t as shiny as it was back then as there were many minor cuts on the legs. Even her own wheeled chair seemed dusty enough, despite her cleaning it up every once in a week. There was even a rock-star-decorated radio speaker blasting out some rock music to set the mood lightly for her to work on.

“Well great going, Prince...” Sakuya thought, slurping away on the ice-cream float. “You just pissed off one of the big-name teams across Tochigi, unintentionally, as always.” The redhead mechanic turns her attention close towards the machine that was sitting idle there at the middle of the garage. Much as she seems concerned about the buzz that is happening on the forums, she isn’t distracted by it at all.

The gunmetal gray Ford Granada was currently being tweaked with its front hood open. The engine on the car was colossal and seemed recognizable. It was the engine of the Ford Racing Boss 302 and it has an engine strut bar installed on its center, accompanied by a large diameter turbine on each side of the engine, meaning it is twin-turbocharged. It also has a mounted titanium strut bar on the engine. The inside of the seat were completely reinforced with numerous spot-welds ands was mounted with a reinforced set of titanium roll cage. The rigidity of the car’s body was thoroughly reinforced with spot welds on every part necessary. There were still some parts that are under process of strengthening as some of them were welded halfway.

Down to the wheels, the front wheels were being prepped at the moment with Michelin tires while the rear is still empty, except it’s brakes were being installed halfway. They were brand new large-diameter brake rotors that were from AP-Racing manufacturer. Even the brake calipers and pads were brand new and they’re shiningly beautiful. It was a mildly expensive tune, but it had to be done on a monstrous car such as the Ford Granada to keep it tame.

“Let’s see...oh right...spot welding.” Sakuya puts down her drink and walks towards the darkening welding mask and put it on before wearing her welding gloves and leather apron. There was a Miller-brand wheeled welding machine with a torch there hanging idle not far away from the spot where the incomplete welding process is on the Ford Granada in progress.

Adjusting the voltage and amperage on the welding machine, Sakuya then grabs the torch and by adjusting a bit more on the oxygen valve and fuel gas valve, she aimed the copper tip on the incomplete spot of the lower rear on the Ford Granada, and starts welding away on the metal.

Sparks were coming out from the spot-welding as she worked on the body of the Granada slowly and delicately.

After about 35 minutes later, the Ford Granada was almost finished in its spot-welding process. While welding on the car still, she can hear sounds of an engine echoing from her place. It was the sounds of a car that she recognizes...

The sound of the SR20DETT engine.

It was then she realized that the car that stop by was none other than the black 180SX with dents everywhere on the front end that came and visited her garage.
Sakuya stops her work for a while as she puts the torch aside after shutting it off. She stood up and pulled up her welding mask to see the person that is here to pay her a visit.

It was a slight cloudy afternoon outside, but seeing the person’s face made her all the more happy still.

“Ah, hey Prince!” Sakuya squealed, much to the young man’s dismay. It was Saburo Misaka.

“...still working on it?” Saburo ignores the mechanic’s sugary remark and focus on the idle machine in progress.

“Yep, ran into some hiccups here and there, but I am good!” Sakuya piped up, turning her attention back to the PC on her desk. “Say, did you know there’s a big buzz goin’ on down the Tochigi forums?”

“Yeah, so?” Saburo prompted, not giving much care to what Sakuya is implying.

“Well, apparently; some guy in a big team called Speed-Buster that claimed territory in Happogahara is out there to find the one guy that smoked the crap out of one of them in a Mazda Roadster during their night-schedule practice run. I am gonna take a wild guess that guy is you since no one else would be willing to drive a dented 180SX in the winding roads of that mountain at such speed.”

“You mean the Mazda Roadster is part of the team? Hadn’t noticed.” Saburo uttered, doesn’t seem surprised one bit. And he shouldn’t be to be honest, because Happogahara was indeed a popular hot spot for aspiring street racers to practice on if they wish to be true racers that master the arts of apex driving under technical twisty courses. “So what’s the deal with this Speed-Buster sore loser?”

“The usual deal, ya know, holdin’ grudges on losing in a non-legit match, that kinda stuff.” Sakuya shrugged. “But I am sure they won’t recognize you just yet, since I know you’re not one that likes to show yourself too much on crowds.”

“...” Saburo pretended that he didn’t hear that, but not that she’s not right about it, he just doesn’t like admitting it. Saburo was never the one to show his face too much in front of the crowds due to his solitary nature. Saburo is like a lone-wolf all the time, working alone and living alone. But despite everything else, he still appreciates a bit of company, such as spending some time with Sakuya or even some of his older friends back in his graduation high-school days.

“...so I take it that the guy you said just now is still looking for me?” Saburo asked, his eyes remained sleepy and bored.

“Guy’s got a name...I think he’s called...Souichiro Makoto.” Sakuya answered, her mind was having doubts on the name because she wasn’t paying a lot of attention to the driver just now. “Eh, but I am sure he’s just one of the minor members. Won’t be much of a harm if he’s the only one making a big deal out of it.”

“Leave it be then. I don’t feel like dealing with a numbskull who didn’t realize that I wasn’t even racing him to begin with. I don’t give a damn about what he thinks. I was just in a hurry to make sure I get your things fetched to you and that’s that.” Saburo explained with a sigh, obviously he is still quite displeased with the tedious work a few nights ago near the Happogahara pass.

“Come on...don’t be such a scowl-face.” Sakuya grinned sarcastically. “This at least shows that you’ve managed to make a buzz out of an encounter at least...or I dunno, maybe even a drive-by through these guys perhaps?”

“No, I am still not changing my mind about it yet. I can’t find any motivation that will give me enough of a good reason to attend to their silly charade other than my own pride to consider.” Saburo declined. One thing is clear; he is not going to stick his nose on where there are ridiculous rumors flying, especially when there may be some misunderstanding on its way that involves him.

“Ah, you’re still the same...oh well, might as well spend more time on my own garage then.” Sakuya shrugged, rolling her eyes with a narrowed smile. Saburo then turned his attention back to the Ford Granada.

“...so where did you get this Ford?” Saburo asked, slightly curious.

“My uncle gave it, duh!” Sakuya smiled with an eyebrow raised. “How often did you see a Ford as old as this one appear before in Japan, out of all places?”

“...I figured. You don’t plan on driving this as a mountain racing car, did you?” Saburo assumed with a slight tone of sarcasm. One glimpse on the engine block and he could tell that Ford Granada is no ordinary driving machine, with all that massive turbines, strut bars, tower bars and even the titanium roll cage together. And as he examined the engine briefly, he can tell it’s a swapped engine from another car, one that he at least know of. “I see your uncle’s done quite a crazy job on finding this V8...”

“You bet!” Sakuya chuckled, looking at the engine herself. “It was a hard find, really...my uncle got the Granada from some guy across America when he no longer wanted it. So originally, this thing’s supposed to be tuned under my uncle’s tab. But eh...he kinda lost interest on tweaking it after giving it a good swap from a fairly old Mustang Boss 302 in his collection of tuned cars. So, knowing that I am eager to tweak cars with crazy amounts of torque potential, he delivered this baby to me and let me work on it the way I want to. So, with a good old Ford and a nice engine swap to start things with; I am quite content with my progress so far!”

“Huh...so, what problems are you running into? You said there’s a few hiccups on your work here...” Saburo asked.

“Oh, yes...well...” Sakuya scratches her head for a moment before she continued. “I am still finding a way to distribute the torque and speed on a balanced manner on this thing since the engine’s a lot tougher to manage than I expected. Still rackin’ my brain on the gear ratio, but I am sure I will be able to think of something...eventually. Plus that exhaust system sucks, I think I may need to make a swap for that one too, but I haven’t thought of anything yet...again.”
“Humph...still got a lot to do then.” Saburo said, crossing his arms. “Well then, here’s the thing you wanted me to buy for you.”

The young, unamused man tossed a large magazine that seems to be related to engines. It was a deluxe edition of a popular custom-tune-car related magazine entitled “Inferno’s Workshop.” The magazine cover was in fact, a massively powerful V8 engine with some headlines written on its side. Sakuya grabbed the magazine by her hand easily and flipped through a few pages on it.

“Hey, it’s out already, just as I expected! Thanks prince! You’re the best!” Sakuya hugged the magazine before tossing it back to her wooden desk, then proceed to give Saburo a swift, big hug before letting him go. Saburo flinched a little, but he was unfazed by her act of affection nonetheless.

“You know, you could always just take a break and buy this yourself instead of asking me to go buy whatever you want all the time. It’s not like I am always free either.” Saburo turned back and walked outside slowly. He wasn’t sure where he wants to go yet, but he felt like he’s spend enough time on Sakuya’s garage. It wasn’t exactly a pleasant place to be, because the scent on her junkyard behind her shop was heavy with its dusty air and it still reeks a bit of oil. It wasn’t too long before he found his voice again. “And hey, if there’s nothing else you want me to do, I am gonna split now.”

“Huh? No! No! No! Wait!!” Sakuya stopped her before Saburo turns tail and walks back to his black, dented Nissan. “Come on, I may be working still, but I could still chat for a while! I mean, it’s not like I am on a tight schedule here or anything! Stay for a while and talk with me a bit more, will ya?”

“Well hate to burst your bubble, I don’t have much to talk about. You know how boring I can be.” Saburo declined with an unamused face, his eyebrows raised and with a painfully honest frown worn on his lips. There is no denying it; he is now so bored and dull that even his freed, vacant mind couldn’t think of anything else to chat about with his friend there whom has a lot of hopes in getting to know him more. Sakuya and him has been friends for quite a period of time, but most of the time Sakuya was the one doing the light-hearted talk while Saburo is the one being a calm listener all the time.

“Hey, at least you’re honest.” Sakuya grinned with appreciation. Much as dull a person Saburo may be, she enjoys and liked his honesty and straightforward attitude. “It’s alright if you don’t have much to talk, but I do.”

“...” Saburo scratched his neck a bit, feeling awkward at Sakuya’s remark. But nonetheless, even he knows how to appreciate goodwill, especially if it’s from his own friends. “Fine, I guess...I’ll stick a round a bit longer. Maybe uh...I can help you out on your work if you need any extra hands here. I feel like I am gonna slip into a coma if I don’t move my hands a bit more often by now.”

Hearing that alone puts a big smile on Sakuya’s face. When Saburo accept someone’s goodwill openly, he always seems to be able to throw in some sarcastic comments along to lighten things up, even if that wasn’t his intention at all. Sakuya then walks back to the desk and took another sip on her ice-cream float.

“Make yourself comfy as usual then, Saburo.”

It was another evening at the small town near the Saitama Capital. The trees were moving slowly with the winds blowing gently towards the smaller branches, crows were flying back to their nests in small groups as the residents were all exhausted from a day’s work. They were murmuring about all sorts of things, even gossiping about rumors of somebody doing something incredible or unusual.

The mood was lively, despite everyone feeling slightly exhausted. And the same could be said too on a slightly mature foreign citizen living near a house at a candy shop. Her short brown hair were tied a ponytail and her green eyes glanced towards the people passing by the small road.

Some cars were passing by at a domestic speed too. They regulation on this residential road is tight on the speed limits as the cars are restricted from driving any faster than 40 km/h.

“She should be here by any minute now...” The brown-haired lady thought, as if she is expecting someone to show up. As she waited, she continued her house-chore as she sweeps the leaves that were scattered on the outer corridor of her own house.

“Good evening, Miss Rachel.” an old lady’s voice greeted the foreigner on her left side. She knows the elderly woman and greeted back in return.

“Oh, how are you, Shino?” Rachel greeted. Her Japanese was slightly sloppy in terms of pronunciation, but vocabulary and grammar wise, it is enough for the local elder lady to understand what she says.

“Waiting for somebody?”

“Yeah...waiting for my niece to come back home.” Rachel replied, her hands are still restless on her cleaning routine.

“Ah...the one in that cute little car with the strange emblem?” The lady smiled. Rachel didn’t blame her, because it is understandable that locals didn’t know much about foreign cars, save for popular ones like Benz or Ferrari or even BMW and Porsche. And it’s not like the elder lady is a car buff either, so who could blame her for anything?

“Yeah...that’s my niece. Oh!” Rachel paused as she heard an unusual engine noise echoing not too far away. As the engine sound made its way through a corner’s exit and went straight to the path she is standing on, she then realized that the car was definitely the one she is waiting for. “Speaking of her, there she is.”

The car was a lime-green coated hot-hatch, and the emblem that sits on the center of the car’s front end was a diamond-shaped logo and the car has the letter “R26.R” painted on it with red color. It also came with a set of shiny red-rims on the hot-hatch and the exhaust sounds calm. The front bonnet was carbon fiber made, giving it a sports-car feel.

It was a Renault Megane R26.R. And the car moved parks itself slowly at the parking spot from the open spot at the house of Rachel. The hot-hatch managed to park in the spot perfectly in one try, almost as if the driver inside has done it a lot of times before.

Of course...that’s what the driver thought until the green little hot-hatch made a slight bump on one of the potted flowers besides the wall...

As the car came to a full stop and with its engine shut off, the driver opened up the car’s door and walked out from the vehicle.

The person was a petite young lady with ponytailed brown hair and blue eyes.

“Don’t worry, everyone. It’s all under control!” She burst out chuckled with a smug smile on her face.

“Vanessa, how many times do I have to tell you to stop with the one-shot parking attempts at the bay?” Rachel snapped back, though her tone is anything but fierce as Vanessa is rather cool about it. “You could’ve run over some of my flowers there.”

“Oh, no worries. I mean come on, this was just one of those less fortunate times.” Vanessa shrugged, her eyebrows raised. Then she turned her attention to Shino.
“Oh hi, grandma Shino!”

Shino can understand her just fine. Vanessa was able to switch from her usual english language back to Japanese very quickly without clashing her tone or even pronunciation.

“Good evening, child.”

“Dinner’s almost ready, Vanessa.” Rachel said to her niece.

“Oh sweet, aunt! What do we have?” Vanessa squealed. “Please, no more sushi for tonight. I am kinda...jaded on those lately.”

“Well, lucky for you, we have some fish tempura tonight.” Rachel smiled as she continued sweeping the floor. “There’s also three slices of salmon teriyaki. If you think that’s not enough, we still have a bit of crab salad.”

“Gorgeous!! Now I am really famished.” Vanessa hopped. “Oh, and I almost forgot. I am gonna go somewhere tonight so I might come home late.”

Hearing that alone, Rachel felt something uneasy is brewing.

“How late? Don’t tell me you’re planning to go out until late midnight?”

“Oh of course not, aunt!” Vanessa grinned with her eyebrows raised and her arms crossed. “I am just gonna go there until around 11 something at most. I am just taking a little cruise at that old road near the Shoumaru station.”

“Oh my...” Shino gasped a bit as she recognize the place that Vanessa mentioned. And if she is planning to drive around the road that she thinks it is, it is definitely not quite a good idea at all. “...don’t tell me you’re planning to go driving around the mountain pass near that place?”

“Wait a minute...” Rachel added along. She too now realize where Vanessa is planning to drive and she’s definitely not pleased about it. “You’re trying to drive at the Shoumaru Pass?”

“Well, it won’t hurt if I am not racing, right?” Vanessa tried to reason her way out of this. In her head, about five to ten said she will be able to slip out of trouble, but she is not going to hold her breath on it just yet. “I am just gonna go there and examine the road at a moderate speed, I won’t crash into stuffs, I promise that! I mean I passed my license test on my first try! What could possibly go wrong?”

“That’s not the point, young lady.” Rachel shot back, her tone is serious. “Shoumaru Pass is a very bad-conditioned road, the path is extremely narrow, and it’s filled to the brim with twisty curves and U-turns. The end of the asphalt on the outer lane is so bumpy and rough, you cannot even drive on that spot near the guardrail, let alone a safe line. You can’t even drive anywhere pass 50 km/h there without risking a near crash. You could get hurt, even if you’re not racing...which I certainly HOPE you won’t.”

And Vanessa’s aunt was right about it.

Shoumaru Pass was known by many aspiring street racers in the locals as one of the most difficult to drive mountain pass in Saitama Prefecture. Not only was the road extremely dark during nighttime, the path is extremely twisty, the asphalt was terribly uneven on the outer-lane at most part that it is unusable by any cars, and the driving space is very, very narrow. A driver’s sense alone will never be able to compensate for the risk of driving at such a dangerous pass unless he is fully confident in his knowledge on the layout of the entire course. It was literally impossible to even drive pass the area at domestic speed, let alone a full-blown racing speed range.

And Vanessa is very well aware that even she would not be able to go pass the safe margin of 50 km/h unless she’s confident enough. And she’ll be lying to herself if she said she is not afraid on tackling that heavily damaged path in a racing mode driving.

“Come on, aunt...you just gotta trust me on this one. Please?” Vanessa pleaded. “I promise you that I won’t street-race! I mean I am just gonna drive around there to examine the course and familiarize myself with it so I can handle my car a lot better next time in an actual road. It could be a good practice to brush up my driving! It’s what my uncle would’ve wanted! Please, aunt!”

“...” Rachel just sighed with a facepalm. She knows that her little niece could be a very stubborn young lady and things won’t go exactly well if she bars Vanessa from doing something that she sets her mind completely on. “Alright then, but you must promise me that you will not come back with a dent on that Renault, young lady. Or else, I am confiscating the car keys from you.”

“YES!! Thank you, thank you so much, aunt Rachel!!” Vanessa jumped around in joy and hugged her aunt. “I promise, I won’t crash the car! Just you wait!”
“You better not, then. Your uncle is always concerned about your safety sometimes.” Rachel reminded Vanessa again. Except this time she does it with a narrowed smile. “Now then...you want to get your dinner done now? And since you’re going out tonight, you’ll be doing the dishes, too.”

“No problemo, aunt!” Vanessa saluted playfully and turns her attention to Shino. “By the way, wanna join us in dinner, grandma Shino?”

“It’s alright, child. You enjoy yourself with your aunt and be good, alright?” Shino just smiled and waved goodbye as she walks away slowly from Rachel’s residence.
“Bye bye then, grandma Shino! Stay safe!” Vanessa greeted and waved goodbye in return too before she hops into to the door and made her way to the kitchen, twirling her car keys about while her aunt just shook her head lightly before she follows from behind and closes the door after she is done cleaning the house outside of the fallen leaves.

It was 9:45PM at the dark roads of Shoumaru Pass, and it doesn’t seem like the pass is as quiet as it seems, for there are a few people still standing about at the small parking area near the Shoumaru Station. There were a handful of tuned Japanese vehicles parked at the area, and some of them were chattering about how to tackle in a corner or even footwork in pedals of a car. They were making gestures about how to handle the steering wheel even.

It was a gathering of local racers near the Saitama area.

And on one side there were a group of matching jacket-wearing drivers sitting together and spending time on talking about something. They were all females and apparently they got the attention of a few other drivers around them in the parking lot.

One of them were sitting on the front end of a red Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR32, while the rest were standing beside a blue Nissan Silvia S-15 Spec R with a carbon-fiber hood. There was two other cars that were Toyotas. One of them is a black Altezza and another is a gray Supra JZA70.

“So when are you planning to change your tires, Adachi?” One of the female drivers asked on the one sitting at the GTR. She has dyed blonde hair and she wears a simple earring on her left ear.

“That won’t be necessary. These are the hi-grip tires specially used for track-racing. They will be able to dominate this course easily.” Adachi replied confidently. “Besides, who would’ve dared to sic their cars against my R anyways? That’s just plain dumb. This car is specially designed for apex driving and with such a narrow course as the Shoumaru Pass, as long as I am leading, no opponents would dare to overtake me.”

“Well you’re right about that.” The member said. She was a tall, lanky spectacles-wearing black-haired female. She seems to be the driver of the black Altezza. “So with this many wins on our belts, who should we hit next? There isn’t a lot of racers worth our attention tonight, if you ask my opinion...”

“I am planning to take the night off for now actually, Mikan.” Adachi sighed with an unamused grin. “I’ve seen the way these guys here drive during their practice runs, they suck. I can’t seem to find enough motivation to race these people...”
“Well if you’re taking the night off, maybe I should too?” the slightly shorter female member added. She was slightly chubbier, and has short brown hair and wears a Nissan emblem on her matching black jacket. “My Silvia isn’t really 100% ready tonight for our usual practice routine, might as well stop risking it for any probable damage done to the ride.”

“No, Megu.” Adachi denied. “You will be joining with the rest of the gang here on your usual practice runs. We cannot let our guard down entirely just because we don’t have opponents here yet. We need to show these people how real drivers tackle a dangerous road such as Shoumaru compared to their half-hearted driving philosophy.”

“Yeah, Adachi’s got a point.” the last girl added. She was a short black-haired tomboy with a slender physique. “My Supra’s already done heating up, so might as well play it out the usual way. Besides, with these weak posers around, I don’t think we need to play out our ace in the hole so early. Three of us would suffice to thrash anyone stupid enough to stand in our way.”

As everyone is talking still about their racing activities, not too far away there comes another car that joins the gathering, but it was a different type of car and its headlights got the attention of many drivers around the parking area. The engine sound was the first thing that caught Adachi’s attention, as well as her members.
They stared at the mysterious latecomer and examined on the car’s plate-number.

“...this engine’s sound...” Adachi thought ominously. It was definitely not the sound of a JDM machine that she sees everyday around her area. And above all, the car is carrying an emblem that she has never seen before until she finally realize that the car was an import. The diamond shape logo then struck Adachi’s senses like a red alert. The car was a lime-green hot-hatch with a carbon fiber bonnet. The car parks itself on an empty spot near on the end where no one was standing and revved the car twice before shutting down its engine.

“That’s...a Renault?!”

- つづく -

Feedbacks are appreciated.
Randy
Posted: Jun 21 2014, 07:28 PM

The Aspiring Sprinter

Ah...and here comes Vanessa eh...

BTW, is it weird that I find her looking a bit like Vanellope from Wreck-it-Ralph? XD

Now this got me curious...I wonder how does the relationship formed between Saburo and Sakuya...sure hope there's a bit of explanation behind this...maybe they're childhood friends? XD

Oh, and Adachi...gee, she'll be quite a match with Takeshi Nakazato. XDD

All in all, amazing job, Rin..and the team that is...keep up the good work and I wanna read the next chapter already!

thumbsup.gif
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jun 22 2014, 08:48 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

This is some amazing stuff! I wish I had the time to get back into writing and everything but alas, the real life is not kind to me. Keep up the good work! This makes for wonderful leisure reading. smile.gif
RedsunsF1
Posted: Jun 22 2014, 10:59 PM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

I love this! I haven't been able to get on here as much because I no longer work at a place where i had a computer in front of me the whole time. Anyways, I'll try sometime this week to start reading this tread and follow it but from what I read i really enjoyed it.
Rin
  Posted: Jun 23 2014, 03:31 AM

IDW Expert Member

Much thanks for the feedback, everyone. We will do our best to keep you car lovers entertained. =)

Also...we're always open for ideas in future should you have anything worth sharing. biggrin.gif

Thanks again, readers. Stay tuned for more updates.
Randy
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 08:14 PM

The Aspiring Sprinter

I take it that this will be quite a long project? Just, try not to drag it too long like Initial D lol. xD
Rin
  Posted: Jun 23 2014, 08:16 PM

IDW Expert Member

Well....you'll just have to wait and see. wink2.gif

-------------------------------------------

Code 2: First Trigger - Part One

The parking area near Saitama Station is now filled with complete silence . The usual chatter of the drivers has stopped as everyone was giving their undivided attention to the mysterious comer inside the lime-green Renault Megane R26.R.
The most particular team out of many that gave the attention, was Adachi’s female-team.

Everyone was anticipating who might come out from that unfamiliar car that parks itself on the spot that no teams or groups claimed.

“Hey, what car is that...?” One of the male drivers whispered, oblivious to the car’s origin.

“Who knows...? May be a new model of some German car or something...”

“It looks like a souped up version of an EK9 or something, but it sure as hell doesn’t seem like it...the shape seems a bit off...”

As the chattering goes on, finally the driver left the car and stood outside and everyone was quiet once again.

Everyone’s eyes was locked solely on that one driver of the R26.R -- Vanessa.

She was standing there next to her Renault like a standard street racer, her hands tucked inside her blue hoodie and her eyebrows raised as she examines the parking lot slowly by looking from left to right and vice versa to check on the racers with her pair of blue eyes. Her grin was both smugly and filled with excitement...

“Gee...didn’t expected this big a welcome.” Vanessa giggled inside her head, she could hardly contain her excitement as everyone was staring at her like some sort of celebrity.

“Hello, fellow racers!” Vanessa greeted, with her dialect on Japanese at its peak, hoping that the locals would understand her fully. “Name’s Vanessa Anderrson and I am here for the love of the game! Pleased to meet you guys!”

“So who’s racing next? What do we have!?” Vanessa insisted on her excitement as she made a big gesture of encouraging the crowd to listen to her.

“...” Everyone was just quiet on the spot as they have no idea what did they just heard from the foreigner that just spoke a decent level of Japanese. Nobody was sure what or how to respond to Vanessa’s introduction.

“...well that was awkward.” Vanessa thought inside her head, smiling still with her open arms gesture.

Then, after a few more seconds, someone finally broke the awkward silence, and aparently it wasn’t a very pleasant voice.

“Well, hello to you, Gaijin.”

It was Adachi, and the rest of the team is standing besides her while she sits on her R32 like a queen that owns the spot and the car is her personal throne. All four of them were smiling arrogantly at their sights towards the young hot-hatch rider.

“...’scuse me?” Vanessa pretended she didn’t hear that, but she obviously did, yet she insisted on her sarcastic attitude because it will definitely take more than that G word alone to try and break her high spirits. “I don’t think I heard that quite clearly cause you sound like you’re half-asleep there drooling about, Miss Skyline.”

“Hey, watch your mouth, outsider!” The Supra girl shrieked in anger, knowing that Vanessa is not shaken by her leader’s taunt at all. “Just cause you got a fancy import car doesn’t mean you’re any better than the locals here.”

Vanessa ignored the tomboy’s insult and shook her head slightly with a narrowed smile.

“So what’s the deal, Anderrson? Why are you here and what are you planning to do, coming all the way from wherever you are to Japan?” Adachi asked, crossing her arms. “Don’t tell me you’re here just to watch the racers do their stuffs...I am not going to buy that, at least not from an outsider like you.”

“Oh please! I am here for the same reason you guys were here, DOINK!” Vanessa shot back, rolling her eyes. “To join the party and the race in this little pass! But hey, sounds like YOU have a problem with that for calling me the G word. And yes, I know your language’s infamous insults just fine, so quit getting all smartalec on me, whatever your name is.”

“Name’s Adachi, but you can call me the ‘Slayer’ for short.” Adachi announced her name arrogantly with the nickname along. “You do realize this is no ten-second-race, right? That’s what you foreigners were all good at. Running on straights and that’s all there is to it. It’s not easy running on mountain passes, you know?”

“Drag runs, apex drivin’, drifting and stuffs...come on, how hard can it be? You can’t even bring people down properly, Miss Slayer, come on, I thought more of you. Heh!” Vanessa smirked. “And hey; I bet you girls think you’re the best here, with that kind of attitude.”

“As a matter of fact, we are, Anderrson.” Mikan admitted confidently while correcting her spectacles. “We have dominated everyone here that you can name, period. Not one of them stod a chance against us, so if locals here can’t beat us, what makes you think that you can by any chance, Miss Gaijin?”

“Oh wow, bravo, lady! You made your point!” Vanessa squealed sarcastically. “Why not put your dominance on where your cars are then, if you’re so confident?"

“Declaring a challenge so openly, despite being an outsider and all? Huh...I compliment your guts, at least. But it won’t last you long.” Adachi snaps a finger and turned her attention to Megu. “You go and play with her...I’ll be taking my night off, still.”

“...I got this kid.” Megu cracks her knuckles and step forward to Vanessa. “Think your little hatch got what it takes to go against this Silvia?”

“Ooh....Silvia...what’s that, a Spec-R?” Vanessa shivered, as fake as she can pretend possibly

“It’s the best Silvia there is, kid...much better than your little hot-hatch I am sure.”

“Typical choice. So how are we doin’ this, Miss ‘Slayer’? Gee, that’s a corny name, ya know...” Vanessa taunted with her arms crossed and another eyebrow raised.

“One race, first to finish line. You lose, you leave and never show your face here again.” Adachi declares.

“...and if I win?”

“That is only if you’re able to, Anderrson. Then we’ll talk.” Adachi insisted. She was skeptical about thinking what will happen if Vanessa wins, and of course; she is confident. To her, there is a very unlikely chance for Vanessa to even win since because she is simply an outsider and she doesn’t know the path like they all do.

“Playing things the mean way, huh? That’s fine for me, just don’t choke on you own words when I cross the finish line.” Vanessa accepts the challeng openly. She knows she promised her aunt not to street-race, but then again; if none of her relatives know what she did, it’s not considered a legitimate promise-break, at least to her.

“We’ll see about that then.” Megu steps forward and confronted Vanessa. “Name’s Megu Aoyama.”

“...you already know who I am.” Vanessa responded with her hands tuck back inside her pockets of her hoodie.

Then soon after their face off, the crowd slowly cheered on to both of the drivers. Some even cheered for Vanessa and her car, though that was only because they liked her attitude of not backing off from even what they claimed as the toughest team on the Saitama Prefecture.

“Sure you don’t need a practice run at least?” Adachi suggested. “I mean, you’re still new here and I assume you haven’t run on the pass before?”

“Oh, you’re giving me a fair play now?” Vanessa taunted back. “I mean wouldn’t be better if I am NOT familiar with the road since you’re a local here? Your chances could be bigger, ya know?”

“It’s never our style to pick on those that were beginners, kid.”

“Right....” Vanessa prompted, dragging it on with a snarky tone.

“Tell you what, practice about a few rounds inbound and outbound, and talk to me when you’re ready.” Adachi proposed again. “This is the least we can do to even the odds a bit, but it still won’t make much a difference...you know that, right?”

“Sure do...and eh...one round will be enough for me, thank you very much. So sit around while I go for a warm-up run.” Vanessa hopped back to her car and started the engine. The Renault moved slowly outside the parking area and made its way towards the road that leads to the Shoumaru Pass. The drivers gathered there all watched the car disappear into the route and some of them has already started moving out and taking their audience spots on the mountain pass.

“That Anderrson girl sure has guts...taking Adachi-san head on like that...” One of the audience driver spoke near his S13 Silvia.

“Did you see the whole scene? I mean that Gaijin girl really is doing it! I can’t believe it!” Another female driver said to her partner. “Megu is said to be incredibly aggressive in her S15...! And that machine is capable of at least 400 horsepower! Who in their right mind would want to challenge a machine like that, let alone a hot-hatch?”

“Maybe her car’s specially tuned for rally-driving? I mean the car that little brunette drive sure has the race-car look down in appearance, with that CF hood and all...” the partner replied, rubbing his chin.

“Well whatever she’s thinking; something big is going to happen for sure tonight...!”

“Let’s take our stopwatches and record down her time! Maybe we could see the difference between a foreigner and a local’s strength so far...!”

“Good idea, let’s!”

Everyone was already on their positions, as the lime-green hot hatch cruised through the route and went past to the entrance that leads to the badly conditioned road that is Shoumaru Pass itself.

“So this is the Shoumaru mountain pass eh...a lot worse than I thought, but nothing I can’t handle.” Vanessa thought out loud as she steps on the gas pedal further and increased her pace for a warm-up run as the Megane cruise down the path at high speed of 60 km/h across the twisty and narrow roads of the area.

“Bad tarmac, bumpy roads, crooked edges that can’t be used...broken and rusted guardrails...nasty dirt piles on some parts...” Vanessa examined the roads she she steers the car left and right accordingly to the rhythm of the mountain pass. It wasn’t exactly a pleasant experience, but Vanessa is getting used to the bumpy ride bit by bit. There were many obstacles on her way, so she has to feather about her gas pedal and not step too deep by accident or she’ll crash. “Awesome! Could be a fun experience.”

The green Renault cruised through the tight corners and braked mildly hard on some hairpins and got out safely without swerving too wide towards the crooked edge on the road and risk damaging the lower side skirt or scraping the guardrails. Under normal circumstances that may be considered a dangerous and bold move, but in this area, it’s literally impossible to do that without fearing a crash as the road condition is so bad ands severe, Vanessa had no choice but to drive under safety condition while caring for her car’s motion on every turn.

She is keeping a safe margin between 50 to 60 km/h as of now due to her being unfamiliar with the path. And because of the terrible tarmac condition and uneven scales, sliding through the corners without knowing its angle and range would be asking for death instantly, she is strictly maintaining her apex driving’s senses.

“No sliding, Vanessa...” She tells herself. “you’re not familiar with this road yet, just take it easy and grip your way through it...”

The practice run continued on while the audiences on many spots took their stopwatches and record down Vanessa’s first run across the Shoumaru Pass. Some of them were impressed, others seemed to have mixed feelings about it.
The green Renault continued to cruise its way through the twisty course of the Shoumaru Pass while the audiences got their eyes peeled solely on how the driver tackled on the tight curves.

“Whoa...I didn’t know someone who is a complete stranger would dare to even cross beyond the 50 km/h margin across these roads in Shoumaru...” One of the spectators commented. “That car sure is nimble, the way that kid teases the clutch on those curves is almost too hard to believe. Even we locals got a hard time getting used to the bad tarmac on the road itself. She sure has guts, I’ll give her that.”

“Then again, if she pushes the car like that during an actual battle...I can’t really say how long will the suspension and tires last. Shoumaru was never really known to be a fair course to begin with.” The other spectator added. He was rather skeptical about the Renault ever able to make it to the goal and complete its first practice run.

Back to the team led by Adachi, she was sitting on her R32 still, while the team members watched about on separate views on the parking lot.

“Hey, you think the kid would have what it takes to at least be ready for us?” Megu asked, standing next to their leader.

“We’ve been here for more than half a year and already we dominated this course...what do you think an outsider kid like her can do in one-run? She’s way over in her head if she thinks she can sic that Renault against anyone of you, let alone my GTR.”

“Well you got that right, Adachi...” Megu agrees. “Besides, judging from the way the car moves, it’s no more than 300 horsepower at max, no way the kid would even dare to go 60% on that car’s power if she knows what’s good for her car in the treacherous course of Shoumaru Pass.”

“The boys are out there with stopwatches, I am sure pressure is gonna be applied to her if she knows that she’s doing a bad time...heh...” Adachi smiled smugly. “It took us about four months to get to the record that is considered a Gold rank by the forums of the JSR-SV . It’s a treacherous test to find out how good you are in a mountain pass...and if it took us that long to be this good, a Gaijin like her would take it even longer for sure...this will be a piece of cake.”

The team members smiled confidently.

“Heh, even I am getting a bit excited.” Mikan admitted while adjusting her spectacles again. “It may be easy to beat a Gaijin, but it’s been a while since we had some new rivals from outside our own region. And it’ll be a good chance to prove that we Japanese racers can truly compete against the world when it comes to touge or even circuit racing. We’ll show those Gaijins that we are the only ones who would know what true speed means. We haven’t lost yet and I intend to keep it that way, if you know what I mean.”

“Leave it to me, Adachi...” Megu smiled. “I’ll thrash that import hot-hatch and make that arrogant little midget eat her own words for her foolish arrogance.”

“Heh...just remember not to go easy on her, even if she’s a pushover. She’ll set an example of what it’s like to cross against the elites of this mountain pass...”

“No worries...my Silvia will speak for itself...and show them that fancy imports won’t match pure racing machines...”

Back to Shoumaru Pass, the Renault had already went through the final checkpoint of the course and is cruising its way on a few more curves before the goal is crossed.
There were still spectators capturing the time of the lime-green hot hatch as it tackles the corners and curves relentlessly with a safe-margin speed. Vanessa was so busy driving inside her machine that she cannot even focus on the audiences that were glaring at her.

After a few more curves finally, the car finishes the practice run and many spectators stopped their watches as they read the record on her time.

“Whew...” Vanessa sighed. “Well that wasn’t so bad. I was kinda hoping there may be more space to maneuver though on some parts...but it shouldn’t be too difficult. Mm!” She crossed her arms and nodded to herself in agreement when she stopped her car.

After a few moments, the Renault had already made it back to the parking lot where Adachi’s team members are waiting for the driver ominously. The air feels heavy around the parking lot as the audiences were all excited and seemed very eager to look forward to the race that is going to happen by tonight.

Vanessa was standing next to her Megane R26.R as usual, while Megu was standing next to her Silvia S15. Both were staring at each other and Megu is smiling smugly, while Vanessa remained calm and played along, mimicking her rival’s expression. Adachi was watching along too, waiting for the race to unfold, just like everyone else.

“Since the road is narrow, we’ll be doing this the tandem style. So who will be the chaser?” Adachi asked.

“I’ll be.” Vanessa volunteered, not even needing a second thought on her side. Why should she choose as the leading role if her rival is so confident? Vanessa knew she’ll most likely turn into a punching bag for the Silvia S15 if she leads because of her lack of familiarity towards the twisty and narrow course. Something tells her that Megu is not a pleasant, clean racer. She can see it in the looks of her rival’s eyes.

“You sure, kiddo?” Megu taunted, provoking her opponent’s foolish decision. “It’ll be a lot more advantageous for a non-local to drive first, don’t you think?”

“Ya know, you should be more concerned about yourself rather than me.” Vanessa shot back. “I’ve my reasons to choose this role, I mean you give me a choice for a reason too, no?”

“I am sure you realize that if you get left behind by a huge margin that’ll be instant game over for you, yes?” Adachi asked again, trying to instigate some fear into Vanessa.

“Yeah yeah, I get that, you snobby Skyline-lover. Now can we start, please? The world’s watching here!”

“Fine, have it your way then...” Adachi smirked. She snaps the finger and signal the crowd to clear out and get their spots for audience-positions. “Load the race up, we don’t have all night.”

The people got the signal and did just as Adachi expected them to. Vanessa then walks slowly back to her Renault and prepare her car’s position at the starting line at the outbound area of Shoumaru Pass. Megu did the same while the remaining three members of her team stayed right where they were since they already got a perfect spot to witness the battle unfold.

Both cars are now at the starting line where the Silvia is positioned at the front while the Renault is on the rear, as the racers have agreed on. Megu was certainly very confident in her position as she is crossing her arms while sitting inside her Nissan. Vanessa on the other hand is simply whistling away a tune to relax and not to give any pressure on herself since whatever happens from here on, everything she did may affect her emotionally, so she is trying to be as positive as possible.

As both started their engines and revved their cars slowly in warming up the cars, Mikan is seen standing beside the Silvia, as if she’s trying to give some advice or pointers for her member in the battle that is to come. Vanessa ignores them and just concentrate on the battle.

“Listen, Megu...” Mikan began. “The Silvia isn’t exactly ready to tackle on the course tonight, so be easy with the acceleration pedal, alright? The tires aren’t prepped yet, though I am sure managing it should be a simple manner for you. Also, don’t be fooled by the Gaijin’s car. It may still have some juice to account for your Silvia since the car seemed to pack a bit of power, judging on the engine sound. And be careful with the corners too, I’ve had words from the people during her first-practice run and they said she’s rather fast on some curves and is quite versatile at hairpins.”

“So, she’s an apex-driving semi-pro huh? Not a problem.” Megu acknowledges, still smiling confidently. “I’ve beaten a lot of racers before that uses a smaller-engine car; thinking they can beat my turbo’s weakness on corners. Well, she won’t be the first to try it. And I intend to keep my winning streak against apex-driving racers intact. I’ll just have to care a bit for my tires and push about 80 to 90 percent to blow her away. She’s not gonna last long since she’s still unfamiliar with the course.”

“Don’t be too sure though. The Gaijin may still have what it takes to keep up at least on the starting point. Just drive like you do and don’t overdo it with the steering and cornering angle, then you’ll be fine.”

“Exactly. I like a good challenge, if she’s better than expected. Won’t make a difference though, I am still gonna win tonight. I am going to show that Gaijin just how different our racing skills are when our experience gap on familiarity of a course is this big. Just watch me and enjoy the show, Mikan!” Megu smiled with a thumbs up.

“Good luck then, I await your good news.” Mikan turned back and walked towards the side of the road ahead of the two cars that are now ready for the face-off.
Vanessa squinted her eyes and gently slaps her cheeks on both sides with her hands for a clear wake-up call to herself and focus on the wheels. She knows that as soon as Mikan steps forward with her arms slightly raised, it is time to race...
“Counting down in 10 seconds!”

Everyone was cheering for the cars as the race is starting. Both cars were revving harder as the engine noises were almost deafening. Both drivers were holding on to their handbrakes as they were waiting for the countdown to finish before they start.

“10...9...8...”

Vanessa is smiling and she is confident that she could bring her first race home without much trouble.

“...7...6...5...4...”

Megu is relaxed as usual. She knows that facing a Gaijin, of all people would give her even better a chance to win because to her; not knowing a course good enough would most certainly make a race easy to predict in result if she’s going against someone like Vanessa whom just had 1 or 2 hours of experience on the course, while Megu has about months. There’s just no competition on experience at all. And so she thought to herself...

What could possibly go wrong? Vanessa would lose and it will be a piece of cake.

“3...2...1...GO!!!”

Both cars started out smoothly and the Silvia S15 went off for a full blast on the throttle, followed by Vanessa’s Renault Megane R26.R.

The race began as planned, with the S15 leading by a good 30 meter margin, followed by the lime-green Renault on the rear. Mikan stared as both cars vanished into the darkness of the old road across Shoumaru Pass.

“Humph...I don’t know how much talent you got, Gaijin...but this is basically our turf...no matter how good you may be, we still got the edge here and there’s no way you can punk us on our home area...we’re basically Saitama’s representative aces...!” Mikan thought with a smile, adjusting her spectacles as usual.

As the race progressed on, the cars were cruising at the speed of 70 km/h at the beginning section of the twisty road of Shoumaru Pass. The S15 tackled on the first hairpin as Megu slams on the brakes and steered towards the bumpy tarmac. Vanessa followed from behind as she gently feathers her acceleration pedal after a braking second and steered her Renault. Both of the cars came out of the exit safely with the S15 leading ahead a little bit more.

“Anyone would’ve slowed down at the hairpin just now...this is common sense for those that haven’t mastered the course entirely, let alone newbies like her...” Megu thought with a smile as she steers through a few more curves that will lead to another slightly wide hairpin on the left side. “After a few more curves from this point forth, your puny little Renault won’t show up in my rearview anymore...!”
And Megu’s assumption was half-correct. Vanessa was still struggling a bit on her second drive-through at the twisty and narrow paths of Shoumaru with her Renault as she blinks her eyes for a second and steered carefully through the curves that her rival just passed through while caring for the speed range. The last thing Vanessa wants is to be dangerously close to a car in a narrow course with lots of bumps and rusted guardrails.

“Narrow paths and steep roads, perfect combo...!” Vanessa thought sarcastically with a narrowed smile. There is no denying it. She is still having a bit trouble in maintaining her rhythm while trying to stick close to her opponent. “Just gotta be more careful now...no funny movements here!”

As they arrive at the next hairpin, both cars swerved hard on the left side and they hugged the inner line after prepping their position on the outer lane during the entry. The road was very narrow, so they have very limited space to increase or decrease their speed at this point. If they go too fast, they risk crashing. If they’re too slow, their cars will stall. It was a risky battle of balance in both speed and control.

Soon as they continued on to the slightly straight path after the hairpin’s exit, they increased their pace slightly by a slight notch. Vanessa was keeping a tight 80 to 90 km/h while the S15 is pushing it sightly beyond 100 km/h. The Renault was still very grippy in its traction, despite the bumpy road. So long as Vanessa didn’t swerve too much on the outer lane, she will be fine as long as she holds the steering well. Then there is a curve on the right side before them, which Megu already expected as she is prepping her Silvia to hit the corner with the orthodox out-in-out tactic. Vanessa noticed the position switch on her opponent’s path, so she too can only expect there may be a corner on her right side and followed along.

Much as it frustrates her to drive like a roller-coaster style, she had no choice because the lack of knowledge on the course really had put her in a bit of a pinch, despite her reflex and concentration in chasing her rival.

As they continued on to the curve that will lead them to the left side again, the S15 steered hard on this point while drifted slightly on its way out of the exit. The lime-green Renault Megane just hugged the corner gently with Vanessa playing it safe still on her way through the curve before coming out of the exit. Their distance gap was a god 30 meters still. But once they crossed the first checkpoint, there was a slightly short straight path where the S15 can leave the Renault behind by a good deal with its turbo-charged engine.

The crowd was surprised that the lime-green hot hatch was still keeping up to this point, despite all the disadvantages that were applied to it.

“Did you see that? The kid managed to keep up with Megu’s S15!” One of the male spectators complimented in shock. “Just what sort of tuning did the kid did to that import car of hers?”

“Screw the tuning!” The other man added. “I wanna know what is that kid thinking? Sticking this close up to Megu when she is racing like that! Anyone would be scared to even go anywhere as fast as her in the S15! Didn’t that Renault kid realize that she’s putting herself in a bad position? If she messes up her rhythm at such a tight course like Shoumaru, forget losing! She’ll even risk destroying her own car or get into an accident!”

“She sure is overconfident! Plowing through those curves at such speed!” One of the female spectators commented further. “That Renault kid will lose it eventually if she doesn’t stop that kind of reckless driving!”

“Heh, there’s no way she can keep up with that small bit of experience on the course...!” Another female said. “Anyone would be afraid to keep up with that Silvia’s power...Megu may not be the best in Adachi’s team, but she did managed to beat off a lot of guys before in her early days as a racer...! When it comes to defeating opponents using her car’s strong points while covering her weaknesses, it’s always been her best strength. There’s no way the outsider’s Renault can keep up with her all the way to the end...this match would be done in just one round, I am sure.”

As both cars continued their battle on to the second checkpoint’s area, there were a series of small, twisty curves ahead of them. The S15 swerved left and right in tackling them, while maintaining a certain range of steering to avoid oversteer. Vanessa at this point can only hope that she doesn’t need to steer as much as her rival does since she is just following the rhythm of the car in front of her due to her lack of knowledge on the course.

“Not good...” Vanessa thought to herself with a nervous smile with a few cold sweat broke on her forehead. “I am simply copying that girl’s line...this way even my tires will give in despite my car is lighter than hers. Guess it’s time for some strategy. But when will the time be for me to use it? I know a few spots to use it but I can’t promise myself it that’ll work...still, won’t hurt to try...much.”

As they reached to the curve that leads to the right side, both Megu and Vanessa tackled the corner orthodoxly and came out of the exit successfully. The Renault is now slowly keeping up to a good 20 to 25 meters of gap distance. Even the audience was shocked at how close they were.

“Not bad...! The kid can actually put up a fight until now...” Megu thought, as she took a quick peek at the rear-view mirror at the Renault that is tailing her. “Up to this point no one actually dared to even go anywhere close to about 40 meters behind me...this Gaijin is definitely not a half-assed amateur...I’ll give her that. But still, no matter...I don’t feel like I am being cornered one bit, despite her persistence...I will still win this battle, if not; drag this on to the second round at least. Whatever you’re planning, Gaijin...it won’t work on me! Because I know this course like the back of my hand! This race’s result is already decided from beginning, you just don’t stand a chance against me!”

Megu shifted her car up to fourth gear, confident that she will be able to outpace her rival as she kicked up the notch to 100 km/h beyond, trying to increase the distance again as Vanessa is still building up her rhythm to match with the course’s complex layout. But soon they have reached to the point where they have to slow down again as the next corner will be a very wide hairpin that is filled with twisty curves on the left side.

“I remember this part..! Oh well...” Vanessa thought. Her memory on the course layout is still fuzzy, but she knows this part is where things could get difficult. Even Megu knows this part won’t be a cakewalk as she is seriously decelerating her car by a good deal as soon as the curve arrives.

Both cars braked at the same time and hugged the rough tarmac on the entry that spreads a bit on the right side before entering the left curve that is still twisty in its layout. The Renault just weave through some small edges on those curves while maintaining a straight lane as much as it can without steering unnecessarily on the small wavy layout of the wide hairpin itself.

Both cars tackled on that wide hairpin at a fair amount of speed while maintaining their rhythm. The Renault was chasing the S15 closely at the point when they finally reached the exit on the left side of that wide hairpin. Their gap was a good 20 meters apart each other. As the second hairpin arrive on the right side, Megu braked hard and drifted her way through it, while the Renault still remain glued to the rear on the Nissan while maintaining a consistent line via grip-oriented maneuvering.

On the exit, both cars managed to once again recover from the swerving on their cornering’s motion on its way out, while the green Renault gave the rusted guardrail a tap for a good measure to recover some grip before returning to the safe line’s margin due to the rough edges on the end of the tarmac. Then, there was another hairpin before them again. As they hugged the inner line on the left side, the S15 tried to recover the distance gap as much as it can by a faster entry while the Renault remained conservative in its speed for the obvious reason.

After that exit again, both cars accelerated away because there is another straight ahead of them and to Megu’s knowledge, the curves on this straight is not too sharp so she can accelerate further than before as it will also be the end of the second checkpoint after she crossed the gentle curve at the right side.

“This is bad...she’s closing in already...bit by bit.” Megu thought anxiously once she took a glimpse at the rear view mirror. Not only did she failed to outpace the lime-green Renault behind her, the gap between them has shortened too. It was about 15 to 20 meters more or less at this point and the Renault is slowly increasing its pace too.

One of the spectators with the crowd along the end of the second checkpoint clicked his stopwatch and reported the scene through the walkie-talkie on his hands.
“Adachi, they just crossed the second checkpoint and they are now on to the second half of the course...”

“How far apart are they?” Adachi asked on her end, sitting on her R32 still. “Has Megu left that Gaijin to dust by now?”

While waiting for the man to report the situation, Adachi paused for a moment before she heard the words...

It sends her to a surprised shock.

“WHAT? You’re kidding, right?! How is the S15 doing at the corners?” Adachi’s sudden shock surprised even the Supra member that is standing not too far away from her. Hearing her exclaiming that out loud would certainly mean something wrong is up.

“...I see...got it.” Adachi shuts off the walkie-talkie after the man finishes the sitrep.
“What happened, Adachi?” The Supra racer asked worriedly.

“...this is bad. Megu is slowly losing ground on the corner. Not only did she failed to outpace the Renault Megane, that Gaijin is sticking next to her firmly like a piece of rotten sushi.” Adachi explained the situation with a few cold sweat broke on her side of the forehead. She can conclude now that she obviously took the rival too lightly at this point. “Because of the weight, the Silvia S15 is burning the tires faster than expected when Megu is pushing it even just harder by a bit than intended...and with the tires that weren’t prepped yet, the situation is not helping at all. As for the Renault, I still can’t dissect the car personally to find any weaknesses on that machine, but from what I know through the sitrep just now at the beginning of the third section, the car is very nimble on corners and seems to have quite enough horsepower to boot, despite it being a non-turbo.”

“...You’re kidding...!” The Supra girl was shocked at Adachi’s report. “Megu is actually losing...? Here on our own turf?”

“Don’t worry...we haven’t really lost yet. Megu’s strongest weapon is when she’s pushed to a desperate point, she will blast away using her record line run while disregarding everything else. Everytime she does that, the race always ends with her winning, no matter how close it may be.” Adachi wiped the sweat off her head as she stares into the roads that will lead to the Shoumaru Pass’ entrance.

“Megu...just don’t surrender any passing space on your run and you won’t get passed...!” Adachi thought. “Anderrson may be good at the corners, but she still isn’t some talented genius...there is no way she can attack when she is still struggling to find her rhythm at this way around the mountain pass.”

“Don’t lose it, Megu...” The Supra girl said to herself as she watched the road ahead... “The pride of the whole team is riding on this...it’s alright if you can’t lose that Gaijin by a big margin...just keep your position ahead and you’ll still win!”
Back to the race, the Renault Megane R26.R is steadily climbing its way to the point where it is already dead on behind the Silvia S15. As they crossed the curve on the left side before entering the consecutive zig-zag curve, the S15 is already showing signs of tire wear due to it speeding at such speed at the uneven road of the pass, while there weren’t much problems on the Renault’s end. Megu is now slowly struggling as she is trying hard to keep her acceleration pedal on; while at the same time she had to care for the tires that are now slowly losing grip on the rear end.
Both cars tackled on the zig-zag curve as they were still using the orthodox lining style to attack the course, but it is slowly becoming obvious that the S15 is showing signs that it cannot grip the road as it originally can during the first half of the race.
“This is bad...tires are slowly overheating...!” Megu gulped. She can feel it on her steering wheel as the tires are already starting to show less response as the battle dragged on. And the pressure building up from behind her rival’s car isn’t helping the situation as the Renault is already a mere 5 meters behind her S15. It is becoming harder and harder to concentrate for Megu. With the deafening engine sound behind her, she felt like she is being stabbed on the rear by an invisible force of pressure, so sharp it almost hurts her inside...

“Damn it...! I never would’ve expected her to be THIS persistent...! This tears it! I have no need to hold back at this point! I’ll make sure you’re gone by the end of the third checkpoint!! Just wait and see, Gaijin!!” Megu thought nervously. She was now sweating at this point as much as she hates to admit it; the pressure is getting to her head and fast. The Renault is already breathing down her neck and there is nothing much she can do other than blocking her rival from behind. “As long as I don’t let you pass, I am still the winner! I won’t let you have any space to pass me to the end! I will drag this to round 2 even if I cannot outpace you in this round!”

On the straight after the exit from that consecutive set of turns, Vanessa noticed that the S15 is still struggling on to hold on the lead, despite her Renault getting closer. Much as she is aware that it is becoming more encouraging for her, it’s meaningless if she couldn’t find an opening to make her pass. Vanessa has been saving a lot of her tires’ grip while driving it safe behind the leading S15 since the first 2 checkpoints. With the grip of her rival’s car tires giving in slowly, Vanessa managed to create some chances and thinning out the disadvantages with her lack of familiarity on the course layout. She knew it all along; as long as she is able to stay behind the S15 on the first half, chances of her winning would definitely improve exponentially when the rival is feeling the pressure and become desperate.

“Heh...gotcha there now!” Vanessa smirked. She was sweating a bit on her palms and head, but the heat still hasn’t got to her brain yet and she is never more focused than now, knowing that her first strategy is working by applying pressure to her rival. “This is now a chance to see you slip off...well, eventually!”

As both cars crossed the straight that will eventually lead them to another gentle curve on the left side before two more wide consecutive curves of left and right sides, the Renault continued to apply on the pressure by swerving left and right bit by bit. The S15’s tires were already at its limit on the rear side, as smokes are slowly gushing out from the tarmac as it continued to accelerate on. Megu realize that it will be the end of her if she cannot maintain her cool and hold the position firmly. The Renault was so close to her car that she can almost feel like even just a centimeter more and her S15 will be nudged from behind.

“This is bad...she’s really close to me!” Megu gulped again, tightening her grip on the steering wheel so much her palms are slowly becoming red. “That kid is choking me so hard that it’s almost impossible to just keep my eyes on the road...! Dammit!”
Once the next corner to the left is up; both of the drivers braked hard on the pedal and gripped through the curve and did the exit orthodoxly. But the problem is, on S15’s end it didn’t go as planned for the tires are already losing grip on the front too and the car swerves a little too much on the outer lane, despite the reduced speed range at this point. Megu was sure this is not a mistake but she hadn’t realize that the car was so close to scraping the wall at the dangerous zone of the lane. Vanessa saw dusts and dirt were kicked on the right side of the car and she knows the S15 is already losing it slowly, just like she had predicted that will happen.

“Heh, look at how she slips! You’re losing it, Miss Silvia!” Vanessa thought with an eyebrow raised, still keeping it calm and cool. She was sure that her passing chances will show up for sure if her rival keeps slipping like that through the tire wear’s situation becoming worse by a second.

As the Renault continued to apply the pressure on the car ahead of it, they tackled on the consecutive turns that will eventually lead them to another hairpin on the left lane again before another curve on the right that will mark the end of the third checkpoint and on to the last section.

The audience could not believe what they just saw as both cars passed through them on the curves. The Renault was so dangerously close to the S15, it almost felt like they could crash into each other at anytime. The intensity was simply enormous for even the audience to cope with.

“Whoa...! That kid is nuts!!” One of the spectators exclaimed in disbelief. “She is so close to Megu’s S15! What is happening?!”

“I can’t believe this...!” Another female spectator added. “Normally a race would’ve ended up to here against someone like that outsider! But this is just too much! Megu’s Silvia is losing ground on corners so much that the Renault is already riding its bumper?! How did this even happened?”

“They’re coming! The hairpin before the last stretch that ends the third section!” A man said as the two cars charged towards the road that leads to the hairpin on the left side. He was talking with his walkie-talkie on. “My gosh...! Both of them are almost neck to neck! The S15 is being pressed hard by the green Renault! This is bad!!”

As he reported on, both cars were already at the entry of the hairpin and the S15 is prepping on the outer lane for the usual out-in-out tactic, with the tires at their limit, Megu can no longer save the grip as she decelerate as little as possible and just skid her way through the hairpin and gun the throttle as much as she can to save some time. But as she plans o do so during the entry, something happened.

“...gotcha!” Vanessa smiled. She braked hard, steered her car on the right side for prepping the traditional cornering lane too, and just slips through the opening that the S15 made. It was barely enough for a car to pass through, but it is open for an overtake and Vanessa is not going to let the chance slip. The tires on the S15 were almost burned out as the S15 was swerving a bit more than intended during the prepping move before the entry, but the tires on the Renault still has enough grip to make it through the center at least.

Vanessa steered hard on the left side and made her move while feathered her acceleration pedal and pulled the E-brake to slide in a minimal angle to prevent a crash with the Nissan that is still slipping outside the lane. Megu was steering hard on her end because she knew the understeer is finally getting to her because of one mistake she overlook. She was going too fast during the entry and she didn’t brake hard enough, causing her car to slip into a nasty understeer and the condition on the tires are almost at its breaking point.

The Renault poked its way through the inner lane and punched through the opening, overtaking the Silvia almost instantly during the exit of the hairpin!

“Oh, crap!!” Megu can no longer control her Nissan. The tires are only seconds away before getting shot entirely. The smokes gushed out from the spinning overheated tires are so severe that it would seem that a little bit more of steer on a tight hairpin would just send it into a hellish understeer situation. The S15 has been overtaken at the hairpin’s exit and the Renault made its way through the end of third checkpoint.
“...Megu has been...passed.” The man giving the sitrep through the walkie-talkie stuttered in utter shock. His hands were shaking and is all sweaty.

“Megu is overtaken...?! How the hell did THAT happen? Explain it! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THERE?!” Adachi shouted in total shock and disbelief. Her expression was filled to the brim with fear, shock and disappointment and her face was almost pale as a sheet.

“I...I can’t really explain it either, Adachi...” The man said in trauma still. He tried to clear his throat before answering again. “Megu’s S15 seemed to have went into a nasty understeer during the hairpin and that kid’s car just...snuck its way into the inner lane and passed the S15 by the exit of that corner! I have no idea how the hell did that kid managed to save her tires up to this point...! It seems that Renault is still showing a lot of fight despite its speed range became a bit slower...! I am not sure if Megu would -- “

“ENOUGH! Just...stop. That’s all I need to hear...” Adachi interrupted in a frustrated tone. She was clearly not happy with the result at all and the development of this race is simply too much of a shock for even her to swallow. As she shuts off the walkie-talkie and tossed it annoyingly at the bush nearby, the Supra girl picked it up slowly and her expression was anything but pleased. She was just as every bit as shocked as her leader...

“Damn it...” Adachi slaps her own face with her palm, clenching her teeth anxiously. “I totally miscalculated and misjudged that kid’s driving...!! Never would I thought that she was this good...don’t tell me that kid’s been holding back all the time to let Megu slip up because of the tires? No, that’s just unreal...! Maybe it’s...oh no...!”

Realizing the error Megu and the entire team’s judgment may have made, Adachi shook her head slowly in despair.

“Of course...that kid’s not familiar with the course...! If she has high concentration, she can easily absorb her opponent’s speed and use it as her own...! A chaser with good reflex would be able to cope with generally high speed chasing and it could even be used as a good reference to get a beginner to get used to building her own rhythm as they raced! Not just that...the kid has been saving up her tires for sure during the early phase of the battle..! While Megu’s S15 has tires that weren’t exactly tuned and prepped yet! I thought for sure that it’ll be an easy win against a beginner like her, but obviously....I am too confident and paid the price for it...” Adachi thought thoroughly inside her head of the situation.

“Adachi...what is gonna happen next...?” The Supra asked. “...Megu is actually losing...!”

“...” Adachi just remain silent. Up to this point; any other remarks other than acknowledging the situation at hand would sound nothing more than looking for excuses. So she just swallowed it, clears her throat and said the truth to her member. “We can only pray that Megu isn’t too shocked at the overtake...if she gets too desperate, accidents will occur. We totally misjudged that kid. I never thought she’d be this good at learning how to race like that...she’s a natural. We’ve picked a wrong animal to fight at the wrong time obviously. For now; let’s just hope that things will go well for Megu at least...and she doesn’t come back with a crash.”
As the walkie-talkie clicks in a sound again, another sitrep came in. It was a female voice this time...Mikan’s.

“Hello...Adachi?” Mikan spoke in a rather displeased voice. But it was on the Supra girl’s ears when she was listening to it.

“It’s me...Mikan” The girl spoke.

“Oh, Riko...you heard what happened right?” Mikan asked, trying to confirm the development of the battle so far. Obviously, Mikan already know what happened.

“Yeah...so does Adachi...we’re all shocked...needless to say.” Riko uttered in a rather sad tone.

“...we totally underestimate her strength. None of us would’ve thought that she had this much fight in her...” Mikan added. The entire team was in down spirits now, after knowing that their member got choked at the race in their own turf at Shoumaru Pass. It was a big humiliation, especially when an outsider like Vanessa using an import car to beat them this bad at the course that they claimed territory on.“There’s not much left to go at this point...let’s just...hope for the best for Megu, alright?”

“Yeah...that’s what Adachi said too...sorry that you have to tell us the late news.” Riko apologized, knowing that not a thing they say at this point will make much difference at the fact that they have clearly misjudged Vanessa’s abilities.

“...” Adachi was worried about the way the race will continue at this point forth because she is aware that if the race goes on with Megu being pressured so hard all the time; accidents are bound to happen. Win or lose doesn't matter anymore at this point, even with the pride of the team being bet on the line. It's the safety of the drivers that matters here from this point forth.

Back to the race's final climax; things were not going well for Megu at all. It was almost as if her confidence has been completely smashed into pieces ever since the moment Vanessa and her Renault Megane R26.R overtook the S15.

They were on their way through the less twisty route of the Shourmaru Pass and there really weren't much left on this section onwards.

“...she...passed me...” Megu uttered in her head, clearly she is shocked at the outcome of the race up to this point. With the tires giving out rapidly, she really cannot do much other than tailing the rival that is now in front of her. And the thought of constant humiliation began to take its toll onto her head. “...no way...this Gaijin...managed to overtake me in my homecourse...? My turf? With a car as small as hers...and even with my skills...with my S15's power...and I can't even take this kid? The shame! The humiliation!! The respect lost from all the wins we've gained throughout our team's progress will be lost in an instant, because of this KID!!”

“Screw this!!” Megu shouted in frustration, now no longer caring for anything as soon as the anger took over her. “Don't think you've won just because you've passed me at this spot! The race is not over until it is over!!” She stomped on the acceleration pedal as hard as she can, the Silvia finally speeds up to the point where it's starting to slide about wildly around the curves that lead to the left side of the route as the Renault is climbing smoothly at the leading spot.

The spectators were all shocked at how the sudden acceleration on the S15 was, and they can see flames coming out of the tailpipe of the machine.

“Whoa...! The S15 just got passed! Megu is starting to get desperate!” One of the male spectators commented. He was really concerned about the Nissan driver now, obviously. “If Megu loses her cool, it'll be dangerous! She'll break her car if she's not careful enough! What has that kid done?! How did she even managed to overtake Megu when she was leading?!”

“But that kid's really crazy too!” The female next to the man added as she watches the Renault continued charging towards the front and held on to the lead. “She can actually keep up to Megu's S15 at this point! That car is no regular import, I am sure! Just how the heck did she managed to get her driving rhythm to be so good at such a short time?”

Back to the race again, they were already close to the last two hairpins that will conclude this race. There isn't much left to go before the outcome is told.

“Whew! I passed her...but no time to relax still!” Vanessa thought, after exhaling a breath heavily in relief. She tackled the twisty curves on the straight path as fast as she can without too much difficulty this time, for she had found her rhythm on her way around this mountain pass. She can now drive the path using her own line and her own judgments on when to brake and when to decelerate. Still, there is no time for her to get a break just yet. The rival that just got passed by her is now very furious with her taking the lead and she is sure something will come up soon. She can still hear the sounds of the engine behind her car coming about and they don't have much of a gap difference actually. “Amazing...to think she can still hold on to this point without giving up eh...? I guess it's just another time for me to try out the record line...wait a sec, I don't even have one yet! Ah well...might as well make one along the way. Heh!”

And as she is done thinking, she stomped on the accelerator too and hit full throttle on her machine. Megu noticed the sudden change in her opponent's speed pickup as well as rhythm becoming a lot more rapid and faster along the way, and she was shocked, needless to say. The Renault hit the speed of a staggering 110 km/h towards its way to the first hairpin.

“...dammit, this is bad...real bad!” Megu thought anxiously, her legs still buried on the gas pedal. Even though she is going all out, the tires are already failing her and with the rival becoming faster and more nimble in the sudden attack position, chances for her to recover has grown very thin. “...is this it for me?! No! There must still be something I can do!”

As they reached to the first hairpin, Vanessa let go off the gas pedal and stomped on the brake pedal. Megu does the same on her end but the tires are responding little to none. It was no good at all. When the Renault prepped on the outer lane and hugged its way towards the center part of the inner lane while maintain a certain distance from the bad tarmac on the end of the road's inner lane, the Nissan S15 slipped into another bad understeer. The Nissan swerved so wide to the outer lane that Megu almost thought she will head into a suicide curve with her machine.

“Crap...! The car can't....take it anymore...!” Megu knew she had gone too fast again with the hairpin tackle just now, and as expected, the S15 is falling behind once more with the Renault widening the gap between the two cars by a good 30 meters. And the gap just open further when the Renault crossed the left side curve that will lead to the last hairpin, it was already accelerating away at a rapid rate while the S15 is stalling still because the tires were already shot at this point. With the bumpy, bad conditioned tarmac along, the tires simply cannot take the pressure and heat anymore. “...Piece of crap!!”

Megu bit her lip and punched the steering wheel on the center and honked the car as she slams the brakes hardly, knowing the race is already over when the Renault is pulling away rapidly in front of her as soon as she slips up on the understeer after that last hairpin just now. All her cards and chances have been burned to the ground and her overconfidence bite her back hard for misjudging her rival's strength.

The crowd was shocked by the way the S15 stops all of a sudden and with that honk; to them, it sounds like the car can no longer take any abuse further and just retired...

It was a knock out deathblow for Megu's S15 in the battle of Shoumaru outbound...
Silence and disappointment surrounds the atmosphere of the mountain pass as the crowd watched the stopped S15 on the center of the road. As Megu slowly opens the car's door and came out of it, she took a deep breath and exhaled with her head full of sweat. It felt like she was trapped in a sauna with that heat and intensity. She must've felt like she lost a gallon of sweat inside that machine.

“...Heh...Welp, I lost guys...” Megu said to the crowd with a displeased face, but somehow she still managed to break a slight smile on her lips. “I misjudged the kid...we all do...”

“Hmm...? The S15's not following anymore? Well that's a switch...” Vanessa thought with a smile as she slowed down slightly because she knew the battle is over. She crossed the finish line after safely tackling the last hairpin along the way and parked her car on the nearest spot available without obstructing anyone else.
The crowd simply watched in shock and in silence as Vanessa came out of the Renault and wiped her sweat off her own head.

There was no need for any further words to describe the outcome of the battle...

Vanessa had won her first race in Shoumaru Pass...

Meanwhile, somewhere away from a spot around the final checkpoint, a person is seen taking a picture on a black and green phone. It was man in his mid 20s and seems to be pleased at what he sees on the Renault.

"Haha...not bad at all, kid...let's see how long you can keep that heat up. Welcome to Japan by the way...heh..."

- つづく -

This post has been edited by Rin on Jul 12 2014, 05:43 PM
Onboy
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 09:22 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Randy @ 1 hour, 7 minutes ago)
I take it that this will be quite a long project? Just, try not to drag it too long like Initial D lol. xD

It'll be long. More than 50 chapters if my maths is done right. There's a change in focus at the end of the 10th or so chapter though, so if massive posts aren't your thing…er…wait a bit, it'll thin down a bit and be "more interesting" by then.

BTW, Rin, jammy didn't get a chance to edit this, but "Vanessa has won her first race in Shoumaru Pass... ", tis "had", not "has".

[/Grammar police
Rin
  Posted: Jun 23 2014, 09:29 PM

IDW Expert Member

It's been fixed, BAWS 8D
OkamiWind
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 09:56 PM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

QUOTE (Onboy @ 33 minutes, 45 seconds ago)
It'll be long. More than 50 chapters if my maths is done right.

JESUS. 50 CHAPTERS?!

user posted image

I mean with chapters THIS LONG...dear god...
Onboy
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 10:01 PM

IDW Member

I did say, they thin down quite a bit. xD
Tuners123
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 10:01 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 42,841

QUOTE (Onboy @ 39 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
It'll be long. More than 50 chapters if my maths is done right.

More like 70 chapters already done,so,I think it reaches 100
Onboy
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 10:09 PM

IDW Member

70 chapters? Where did that come from? We're only at chapter 20… tongue.gif
OkamiWind
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 10:13 PM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

Thin down eh? How much thinning down? (Heads up...gonna sound like a bit of a dick here. Gonna spoiler it just to be safe...again, gonna sound like a freaking dick.)

SPOILER

Sigh...again, this is me acting like a dick. I will continue to read this fic for as long as it runs. So...enough of my rage here, here's for the best.
Onboy
Posted: Jun 23 2014, 10:16 PM

IDW Member

"Thin down" is in terms of word count, not in terms of content. tongue.gif

To be precise, we go down from roughly 10k words to half that, sometimes even a quarter of that. The stuff you read on WME is mostly made up of "enter" and one word sentences anyway.

Eh, I was a much bigger dick than you when whipping this project back in shape so meh. tongue.gif

5 Pages  1 2 3 »