Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Supreme Folly

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 25,662  ·  Replies: 63 
> Tusky's Kars, and whatever other road legal things
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 9 2014, 01:25 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,740

Thought now with the sale of the panda SL done, I should start a new thread. The VR4 is now insured, only thing left really is go to the DMV tomorrow and register it. There is a quick little DMV office on base I plan to go to, but with it on base, I can't really drive there with it as it has no plates. Hopefully on Tuesday I can drive it. They should give me a temporary registration I can tape somewhere and things should be good. Last I need is a ticket for no plates.

I also need to take it back to the seller's shop. In the need to legalize it, I need to get it smogged. Right now it is sitting with a 3 diameter pipe that goes all the way down the underside. She is loud and proud, none of that lawnmower ricy stuff. The downside is that it has no cat. That is in the truck right now. So hence the visit to the guy's shop and he will swap it for me for free.

He also said he can hook me up with someone who can install a tuning computer (not sure of the exact name) that I can self tune using a computer program and not have to go to shops to do it for me. That can be a good advantage for the future. But yea... everything works in it. All the stuff I poured money in to fix has already been done. Maybe if I ever do anything, would be to lower it on adjustable coilovers if I ever do.

On to some info on it. The old owner replaced a lot of the upper engine. Rebuilt heads, pumps replaced ect. Everything pretty much mechanically works. Only thing I had to do on Sunday was give it a fresh battery. His was going bad, and he had to jump my car once on the way home when I stalled out. I have not stalled out in a long time, but thanks to his stage 4 clutch, I can get used to that again and also build my left leg muscles. This car was planned to be a high HP racecar, hence the clutch. Right now he said it is still around 300. That is all I'll ever need.

I was able to get home safely and I think only stalled 5 times before I had hit the highway. Once I get the plates (or temporaries) I plan to drive around and learn again. I'll post pictures here too, but you have seen the same pictures in the panda's thread. I plan to take more. Maybe a video too.

user posted image

The single pipe. One thing I noticed, is that the driver side rear light is the JDM orange tip... at least that is an easy fix. I was going to install my own pair of orange tip lights anyways lol.
user posted image

There is this website that also tells the history of my VIN. Thought I would add it here. Pretty cool that mine is the 81st car built in the first year of the 3000gt.

Your 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is one of 3693 that received VIN numbers. Based on the order of the serial numbers, your car was the 82nd out of the 3693 that were made that year.
There is 17 car matching your year and model with a serial number under 100. The cars with the last 6 digits ending less than 100 are most likely kept in a mueseum or used for the final crash/road testing, but CarFax information is generally not available for them. Since this car will probably never be sold or registered, your car is more accurately the 81st out of the 3692 available.

Your car was built in the 1st week of July 1990. Of the 27209 vehicles made at the Nayoga plant, your car was the 272nd vehicle to be created that year.

There are 284 other cars that were made with both the same interior and exterior color. There are 285 cars with the same exterior color and 285 cars with the same interior color.

Note: The production order is assigned based on the order of the serial number.

Other Numbers
Exactly Identical (*) 29
Mechanically Identical (**) 168
Same Model+Option Package 722
Same Model+Build Date 52
* Model, Interior & Exterior color, Equipment, Chassis
** Model, Equipment, Chassis

Enjoy this new chapter of mine.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

This post has been edited by Tuskano on Jun 6 2015, 10:51 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 08:35 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Holy shit a VR4 I approve. I'm sure sideways would approve too since he's been in one. It just makes me that much more jealous...and wishing I had an SVX again. whistling.gif

Just don't crash it into a canyon wall and I'm sure you'll love the hell out of the thing. Awesome purchase, man! That thing showing up to AX this year? cool.gif I'd love to add you to our massive list of IDW members in attendance, if even only for the dinner on Day 3!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 09:12 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Congrats on picking up a proper 3/S! You'll enjoy the crap out of it, I'm sure. They're super fun cars, just not to work on, haha.

This post has been edited by Spaz on Jun 9 2014, 09:12 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 9 2014, 10:08 AM

IDW Supremo Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)
Holy shit a VR4 I approve. I'm sure sideways would approve too since he's been in one. It just makes me that much more jealous...and wishing I had an SVX again. whistling.gif

Just don't crash it into a canyon wall and I'm sure you'll love the hell out of the thing. Awesome purchase, man! That thing showing up to AX this year? cool.gif I'd love to add you to our massive list of IDW members in attendance, if even only for the dinner on Day 3!

Never have done a lot of canyon runs, but had already started looking at some roads around Lemoore I can visit while up there. No... not this year sadly. I got most of my days saved up so I have enough time in August to move and also visit family and friends up in Oregon. Although... I might be able to drive up for the dinner. But I got to get used to it first before I decide to drive in LA traffic with this. That might end up being the ultimate test if I do that.

QUOTE (Spaz @ 49 minutes, 2 seconds ago)
Congrats on picking up a proper 3/S! You'll enjoy the crap out of it, I'm sure. They're super fun cars, just not to work on, haha.

Lol, yep. Fun to work on indeed. When they are not broken tongue.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 10:13 AM

ShiMACHaze

Don't worry too much about the canyon comment. It's just that there was another military IDW member with a VR4...who just happened to have an intimate moment with a rockface. awesome.gif

Sorry that you can't make AX, but let us know if you can make the dinner. We'd be more than happy to have you!
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 9 2014, 11:03 PM

IDW Supremo Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 10:13 AM)
Don't worry too much about the canyon comment. It's just that there was another military IDW member with a VR4...who just happened to have an intimate moment with a rockface. awesome.gif

Sorry that you can't make AX, but let us know if you can make the dinner. We'd be more than happy to have you!

Ahh... no worries. Someday I may eventually want to go out and just drive and explore.

Yep! I'll let you guys know if anything happens on my end!
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 13 2014, 12:21 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Right now she is still at the seller's shop. Seems some electrical problems arose. Everything electrical except for the rear lights don't seem to work. And the battery was not charging. On the way to another shop, I was driving my old panda behind the seller who was driving the VR4. In the middle of it before a stoplight, the VR4 died out with a dead battery (which I had newly bought the day before because the previous one was bad). I ended up pulling into the lane next to his (not a lot of traffic) to jump the VR4. In the end we just swapped batteries while leaving the panda still running.

Wednesday they had spent working getting her smogged and later trouble shooting the electrical issue, and the next day I got a text saying they were changing the alternator. I am happy with the hook up... with work and not much life outside of it, I think she would have been another lawn ornament with my knowledge of electronics. It seems he also plans to just put a auto transmission in the panda. He told me he liked what I did with the suspension, though his plans for it are unknown.

Hoping the alternator replacement fixes it and I can finally drive her to work. There are some people who are unaware of what I exactly bought. One guy thinks a Supra lol.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 13 2014, 02:14 AM

ShiMACHaze

>everything electrical seemed to fail and the battery stopped working...

Alternator. Definitely alternator. Don't ask how I know. derp.gif
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 13 2014, 03:21 AM

IDW Supremo Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 1 hour, 6 minutes ago)
>everything electrical seemed to fail and the battery stopped working...

Alternator. Definitely alternator. Don't ask how I know. derp.gif

Yep.

He's replacing it. I'll send him a text in the morning to ask how it went.
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 21 2014, 02:39 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Well, I guess I should update this. Since my last update, the shop has been troubleshooting the electrical problems she had after replacing the alternator. Then last Wednesday they finally got to smog checking her. She failed with high emissions... so they are fixing that to get her to pass.

Hopefully when I text him later this morning, there might be some good news. I can't wait to drive her again. People at work have been waiting for this mystery car I said I bought... and one thinks I lied now lol. It will make it all the more satisfying when I finally drive her to work.

Edit after the text: Lol, the seller is suspecting the mechanic put the cat on backwards. Hopefully that is true.

This post has been edited by Tuskano on Jun 21 2014, 01:58 PM
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jun 22 2014, 07:40 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

I've been out of the loop for so long! I know you're leaving since your time here in California is up and that's why Fragger and I visited you a few months back. But I had no idea you were planning on selling your car! I'm so bummed... crying2.gif

But congrats on the new purchase! This 3000GT looks even better than the last one! And hopefully all the problems get sorted out soon too! I'm guessing with the move imminent, you won't be able to go to Anime Expo this year. That also makes me bummed... crying2.gif
Tuskano
  Posted: Jun 22 2014, 11:58 PM

IDW Supremo Member

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 4 hours, 17 minutes ago)
I've been out of the loop for so long! I know you're leaving since your time here in California is up and that's why Fragger and I visited you a few months back. But I had no idea you were planning on selling your car! I'm so bummed... crying2.gif

But congrats on the new purchase! This 3000GT looks even better than the last one! And hopefully all the problems get sorted out soon too! I'm guessing with the move imminent, you won't be able to go to Anime Expo this year. That also makes me bummed... crying2.gif

I didn't know I was going to be selling my car too... but I guess in the long run, AWD might help out in snow better. I plan to probably repaint it to something else once I move up to Lemoore and have time to do whatever.

The inside is a lot nicer. I just need to clean alittle more in the back and then set up like I had the panda done out. Yea, I am crossing my fingers that the smog went well. That I think is all that is left. Then I can drive onto base, use the dmv office there, and register her and get plates!

Yea, with so much happening all around July and August, I can't put off days for AX. But if I am still in the states and not on deployment around next year, I might try to do a road trip. Who knows what will be happening around that time.
Tuskano
  Posted: Jul 1 2014, 10:51 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Well, got back the VR4!! Now with all the paperwork I need, I can finally get it registered and get plates.

In the time in the shop, the alternator was replaced and as a result from all the electrical stuff, so were both door window switches. The new battery I installed before it all happened was installed properly... negative ground... and I removed it countless times on the Panda. So I am still scratching my head why it had happened. Something had fried back then.

Among those, were other small things here and there that he had ended up taking from my old Panda (which he said he plans to part out*cries*). I may possibly be visiting him again to buy back some parts from the Panda, such as the Megan Racing suspension... and yes Kitsune; I can get the side skirts if you want for your stealth. They will be white covered in plasti-dip, but still 1st gen. I can hold onto them until I get up to Lemoore when we can find time to meet up. There are other things I might get, interior panels and some other things. Maybe the radio, as I can't figure out how to work the one in the VR4.

After driving, there will be some few other things I may end up troubleshooting myself.
  • The passenger window is stuck up (think it was never connected).
  • A/C does not blow cold (it worked before, so I know the fricken thing works..).
  • Active areo does not make the spoiler go up (think it is the switch, it seems iffy... or I am not going the required speed to activate it).
  • Foggies don't work.
  • Radio turns on but does not play music or radio (maybe I am too dumb to know how to work it).
  • SRS indicator is on... I remembered the seller saying he was able to fix that.
  • The sport button is blinking. I may need to disconnect the ECS. Will have to be disconnected down the road anyways if I plan on lowering it.

Just to name the obvious. Other then the suspension, I don't see me customizing a lot for this beauty. First things first, I'll get brand new wheels (the front are going bald. I'll try to keep the old ones for cheap race tires lol) and an alignment. Something rubs when I turn sharply.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Tuskano on Jul 1 2014, 10:56 PM
Tuskano
  Posted: Jul 12 2014, 02:21 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Got new Michelin Pilot Sport tires a few days ago. And also a alignment today. The previous owner who now has my panda decided he will not be parting out. So it will be a bigger hunt to finish my shopping list of stuff I need to get to fix some of the problems. I might end up going next month to the junkyards to see if I can find anything. It also turns out that I'll be needing a new egr vacuum solenoid valve since mine seems to be stuck and causing the engine to run more lean. Funny thing is no warehouses or the dealership has one. So I'll have to ask around online or go to the junkyard.

But yea... totally legal now. Has plates, stickers, and just waiting on the title. I might be getting more heavy with repairs and stuff once I am at Lemoore since I won't have anything else to do up there.
Tuskano
  Posted: Jul 13 2014, 08:51 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Woot! So today I took the Hijet to a carshow at Dave and Busters hosted by Vets Cruzin for a Cause and got a trophy! Unfortunately they threw my truck in the KDM (Korean Domestic Market) category... but oh well. I still got something lol.

user posted image

Other pictures. (Ones with dates were taken by the hosts)
SPOILER

This post has been edited by Tuskano on Jul 13 2014, 08:59 PM
Tuskano
  Posted: Jul 31 2014, 11:09 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Well, not much has happened since my last post. Mainly have been driving my Hijet, after a overheating issue on the VR4. I think a coolant line went loose somewhere on the aft of the engine, as when I top off my coolant, I cause a steady stream. I think all the hoses are all original, so once I see what needs replacing, I'll just do that after my move. Maybe a line to one of the turbos or something. Other then that, the VR4 has been a blast to drive, and I have gotten better at the racing clutch it has.

As for the Hijet, I have been going to some more car meets with it. Last Tuesday was a VW air cooled group over at a Rally's in which I took it and was the oddball. I'll post some pictures of that once I upload them. Wednesday was me looking into a minitruck club called Sunset. They have a few chapters around the US and Canada, so after I get settled once I get up to Washington, I can look into getting my Hijet in a club once it is lowered more.

Today (Thursday) I went to the Mira Mesa Fudruckers car show for the first time. I unlocked a few achievements. One was sharing a single parking spot with a RHD model Mini Cooper with my Hijet (pictures will come!). Second was driving backwards through a drivethrough with my Hijet so I can be on the left side (recommended by the Mini owner).
Tuskano
  Posted: Sep 2 2014, 12:40 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Yay roadtrips biggrin.gif. I've been driving down 101S, which I started at the northern Oregon coast and now I am south of Sacramento Ca. Started driving on Sunday night. The car of choice? My litttle Daihatsu Hijet ...it's such a beast and neck breaker on the road.

Tuskano
  Posted: Sep 16 2014, 06:42 PM

IDW Supremo Member

It's been a week since I arrived over in boring Lemoore Ca. But the drive in the Hijet went with no big problems. The first couple of days I started the drive south, I was having battery start up issues. Thought for the first time it happened it was the wires grounding out, because if I moved things around the battery would work. Upon closer inspection, there was alot of corrosion on the battery connections. So with a simple replacement of the connectors, it fixed it. I got lots of GoPro videos of the trip, just battling with my laptop to make a video.

After getting to Lemoore, I got the VR4 back out of storage. She was able to drive... but I wouldn't want to do anything fast. Still had the coolant leak, which I am suspecting to be a line that leads to the rear turbo. But with the engine space, it is impossible for me to really tell unless I remove things. Also, thanks to me not having tools when I first dropped the VR4 in storage, I was unable to disconnect the battery. So the battery went bad. Tried charging the battery up, but 3 days later it died again.

Last Sunday, I went to get the battery officially tested. It didn't hold the charge, so I decided to buy one of those new Optima coil batteries. It is red on top so it matches the rest of the car. Pretty nice, and it starts up faster. Yesterday, I got it taken to a import auto repair shop where I might get a compression test done to see if it is the rear turbo coolant line. The fun thing is the shop owner and I started off really well. He is Japanese and ended up falling in love with my Hijet. He also was able to help translate some of the placards that were in kanji located around the truck cab.

I got my new PO Box now, so to test it, I bought a small amount of car parts to freshen up the VR4 when it gets out of the shop.

Stay tuned for that video!
Spaz
Posted: Sep 17 2014, 08:43 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I think you mean a pressure test and not a compression test for that coolant leak... Because if you're finding external coolant leaks with a compression test you've got bigger issues! tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Tuskano
  Posted: Sep 17 2014, 10:41 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Pressure test, yes lol. I was sleepy when typing tongue.gif

sideways
Posted: Sep 18 2014, 03:35 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE (Tuskano @ Yesterday, 11:41 AM)
Pressure test, yes lol. I was sleepy when typing tongue.gif

Its always those little details thatll get ya tongue.gif

Keep us posted. Im curious to know whats going on
Tuskano
  Posted: Sep 22 2014, 10:56 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Well, the leak has been fixed. But it wasn't from the line to the rear turbo. It was something else, and I forgot. I'll remember it later. Before the shop says my 3000 is ready, he wanted to look into a idling fluxuation it has developed. Ok, I won't say no to that. He is saying when he turns it on, it goes up to 2k rpm (or more I think), and slowly then drops back to where it should idle around. Which I forget where the stock idle is for a VR4. I want to say 1k but I am probably wrong.

Good news for my Daihatsu. Found like minded people who can help me with my dream in fixing her up. It was a good feeling coming up with ideas for it with other people involved.

On a better note, I finished a video. Enjoy.
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XIHz-6Q5-k )

This post has been edited by Tuskano on Sep 22 2014, 10:57 PM
Rudy
Posted: Oct 26 2014, 08:20 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Tuskano
  Posted: Nov 1 2014, 01:18 PM

IDW Supremo Member

QUOTE (Rudy @ Oct 26 2014, 08:20 AM)
At least your oil sender didn't begin spraying fuel all over the engine bay...

Very jealous of your GTO. That's my favorite gen, and I've wanted one in dark blue with last year MR tail lights for as long as I remember.

Seems like you're taking good care of her though. Keep up the work!

Someone had a sig or avatar that said that. I always cracked up when I saw it.

Thank you very much, my favorite too! Sometimes the passenger side popup headlight motor doesn't work so it occasionally winks tongue.gif. I've been thinking of certain ways to customize her more... part of me wants to build a HSX replica. She is already the same color. I'm going to do a complete rebuild of the body and fix alot of the issues I had when I got her once I have my own garage.

The leak beforehand was fixed. It was from the ignition controller and the leak was snaking around to the back of the engine that made it almost impossible to track. So now she is driveable. I also replaced the passenger window motor, so both windows work. The is alot of other electrical stuff that doesn't work yet, only ones that work are the wipers, lights, and windows. Going to fix the rest of it during the rebuild. But for now, she is serving as my daily driver once again.

The Daihatsu is doing well too. Removed the two inch lift blocks from the front to get it more lower. Also got the wheels properly bored out to be smoother at a machine shop. And is now over at Maaco autobody and paint for some dent fixes and a new paint over the old matte white. I also have new mirrors and a side light waiting to be installed once the shop is done. Can't wait for the new look!
Rudy
Posted: Nov 4 2014, 12:34 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)

3 Pages  1 2 3