Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - 1969 (Album Edit)

18 Pages  « 16 17 18  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 175,014  ·  Replies: 437 
> Forget FF, RWD vs. AWD!!!!, give your not-stupid opinion here...
Jhaqastar
Posted: Apr 27 2013, 10:11 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,716

In my opinion

Most fun = FR
Fastest in perfect conditions = MR
Fastest in poor conditions = AWD

Or maybe I'm just really biased with RWD >.>... And in a long race, won't the 4WD's tires wear faster while FRs and MRs could more laps before pitting in?
Banken
Posted: Apr 28 2013, 03:44 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 22,465

On a street car with street tires, 4WD is by far the fastest.

On a rally car, 4WD is the fastest (duh).

On a track car with track tires, it's kind of a wash between all three, depending on power and weight. But usually at the very very top, 4WD will be the fastest car.

On a purpose-built race car with slicks, MR is the fastest.

This is not my opinion. It's simply how it is.

On a relatively low-powered, light-weight car, FF can (and usually is) be faster than FR.
Vortrex
Posted: Apr 28 2013, 04:39 AM

1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86

Member No.: 38,745

The best is Mid-engine, four-wheel-drive layout! tongue.gif (I'm Serious)
Why are we reviving so old thread??? ohmy.gif
Banken
Posted: Apr 28 2013, 04:09 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

QUOTE (Vortrex @ Today, 4:39 AM)
The best is Mid-engine, four-wheel-drive layout! tongue.gif (I'm Serious)
Why are we reviving so old thread??? ohmy.gif

That's not the best if you've got enough traction, because then it's just extra weight.
I_guess_Miatas_are_c..
Posted: Mar 7 2019, 09:25 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 50,705

QUOTE (sideways @ Oct 22 2004, 09:13 PM)
Sadly, yup. and cheaper now too. Understeer = safe for drivers.. Who tend to slam on the brakes in an emergency.

I think this sad fact shows just how care for driving and attention has plummeted. If they knew how to drive a car properly, they would prefer oversteer to understeer, because they would be less likely to drift into another lane, go into a wall if breaking heavily, and other stuff.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 8 2019, 06:23 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

IT'S A NEW NECRO RECORD

Also if you believe there was a time when everyone on the road was Colin McRae, you're deluding yourself.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
I_guess_Miatas_are_c..
Posted: Mar 10 2019, 01:31 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 50,705

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Mar 8 2019, 06:23 AM)
IT'S A NEW NECRO RECORD

Also if you believe there was a time when everyone on the road was Colin McRae, you're deluding yourself.

Well I don't believe that.

I just believe there was a time when a reasonable amount of people could actually drive more than "go", "stop", and "turn".
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 10 2019, 09:49 PM

ShiMACHaze

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 450. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Meteor
Posted: Mar 11 2019, 01:14 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

There was basically never a time where the average driver could drive cars at a moderate-to-advanced level. The most you had was people not needing ABS, but brakes tended to be a lot weaker in the non-ABS days too.
People have always only been taught how to get from A to B, and most driving schools just don't teach more than that. It's always mainly been the people racing cars that bothered to know the finer points of car control.
What's really changed is that cars started to feel safer. Older cars didn't provide that sort of disconnection from the road, and gave the average person a better sense of where the limits were, so they naturally drove more carefully. Newer cars tend to not give as much road feel and are also much more stable until they hit their limits, and that can make people push them harder than they should.

But getting back to what started this discussion, there was never a point where the average driver could handle lift-off-oversteer. As far back as WWII, rear-engined Tatras were famous for killing people, as rear-engined cars love to spin when you step off the gas. Earlier Porsches were also a handful, and newer Porsches gradually had this toned down so that people who weren't race car drivers could actually drive them. The SW20 MR2s also initially had tons of lift-off-oversteer, then Toyota had to make changes to the car because people kept spinning them.
Lift-off-oversteer is one of the main things that made older FFs want to spin out, and if most people couldn't handle that in the 30s or 90s, most people certainly can't handle it now.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 11 2019, 06:53 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Meteor @ 5 hours, 38 minutes ago)
There was basically never a time where the average driver could drive cars at a moderate-to-advanced level. The most you had was people not needing ABS, but brakes tended to be a lot weaker in the non-ABS days too.

Drum brakes all around with no power assist. laugh2.gif
Spaz
Posted: Mar 17 2019, 12:39 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Meteor @ Mar 11 2019, 04:14 AM)
Older cars didn't provide that sort of disconnection from the road, and gave the average person a better sense of where the limits were, so they naturally drove more carefully. Newer cars tend to not give as much road feel and are also much more stable until they hit their limits, and that can make people push them harder than they should.

Someone should inform my Silverado of that... 3/4 ton suspension bump steer is REAL.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 17 2019, 02:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Spaz @ 1 hour, 27 minutes ago)
Someone should inform my Silverado of that... 3/4 ton suspension bump steer is REAL.

LOL my family's Dakota without anything in the bed is the same way. Pretty terrifying to drive on bad roads, hahaha.
vitexia7
Posted: Jul 2 2019, 12:53 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 51,035

i like your post, tks your sharing.

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Warning has been issued to this post by IDW Report System on Jul 3 2019, 05:47 AM.
  - Reasons: Flagged for being potential spambot, posting ability removed.

18 Pages  « 16 17 18