Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Tension - Everybody's Warming

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 8,941  ·  Replies: 26 
> Facebook Acquires Oculus Rift for $2 Billion, It's over.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 25 2014, 03:35 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-to-buy-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-2014-3)
Facebook is buying Oculus VR, a startup that makes virtual reality headsets, in a $2 billion deal.

According to a statement from CEO Mark Zuckerberg, the company plans to expand Oculus beyond gaming:

"After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face, being spied on by your ex, having data about you constantly collected by us and sent straight to the NSA and any corporation that wants to buy it from us -- just by putting on goggles in your home."

Zuckerberg expanded on that in a conference call following the announcement, saying he believes virtual reality will be the next big profile-collecting platform after mobile devices like smartphones and tablets.

Oculus got its start on crowdfunding site Kickstarter, where it raised $2.4 million in 2012. Since then, other VCs have invested in the company. Most recently, Oculus raised $75 million in a round led by Andreessen Horowitz. Marc Andreessen, a partner at Andreessen Horowitz and a Facebook board member, tweeted today that he recused himself from acquisition talks between Facebook and Oculus VR.

By the way, this isn't Facebook's only recent major acquisition. Just a few weeks ago, Facebook bought WhatsApp in a $19 billion deal.

"Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," said Facebook founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerberg. "Oculus has the chance to create the most in-depth data collection platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate (and spy)."

"We are excited to work with Mark and the Facebook team to sell out to one of the most conspicuous companies on the net," said Brendan Iribe, co-founder and CEO of Oculus VR. "We believe virtual reality will be heavily defined by an overarching power that collects and sells your personal info in magical, new ways. It is a transformative and disruptive technology, that enables the world to experience true invasion of privacy, and it's only just the beginning."

Oculus will maintain its headquarters in Israel, and will continue development of the Oculus Rift, its Ground-Breaking "Virtual Reality"™ platform.

The transaction of Oculus' CEOs' souls for money is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014.

Well, party's over. It was fun while it lasted.

I hope this piece of garbage tanks and these sellouts get what they deserve.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 04:17 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Everybody has a price in their mind. Exceeding that price line, they will do whatever you ask them to. Why wouldn't the Oculus VR sells out if they are offered billions of dollars?! If you are offered millions of dollars to sell out your creation / labels, I am sure you would do the same thing. So don't be so negative about their decisions.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 25 2014, 04:24 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Perry @ 6 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
Everybody has a price in their mind. Exceeding that price line, they will do whatever you ask them to. Why wouldn't the Oculus VR sells out if they are offered billions of dollars?! If you are offered millions of dollars to sell out your creation / labels, I am sure you would do the same thing. So don't be so negative about their decisions.

They betrayed everyone who donated money to their cause, and are contributing power to the monster that is Facebook. I have absolutely no respect for this decision.
Perry
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 04:28 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Yeah it is a classic example of selling out. I do hope they at least have the courtesy to refund those kickstarters money to the donors though. Aren't there some clause in the kickstarer's Terms of Use to prevent something like this? Have they delivered what they promised to the donors?
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 25 2014, 04:36 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Perry @ 7 minutes, 54 seconds ago)
I do hope they at least have the courtesy to refund those kickstarters money to the donors though.

You realize they raised $2.4 million on Kickstarter, right? There's no way on earth they'll refund that much to that many people. I don't know about Kickstarter's ToS, either, but I presume they don't have to do anything.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 05:44 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

It's pretty sad...but we'll see. Their latest headset, at $350, was a hell of a deal. If I actually had any games/applications that properly utilized it (or I were a dev) I would've dropped the dosh in a heartbeat.

I pray that this doesn't fundamentally disrupt the move into VR. I need my interactive Artificial Academy. awesome.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 25 2014, 05:52 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

We were this close to the waifu age.
KonradZuse
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 07:14 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,074

What bothers me is this

Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face, being spied on by your ex, having data about you constantly collected by us and sent straight to the NSA and any corporation that wants to buy it from us -- just by putting on goggles in your home."

Send the data straight to the NSA? Have your ExGF spy on you? Did he really just say this?

Sounds like satire to me LOL.

This post has been edited by KonradZuse on Mar 25 2014, 07:17 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 07:34 PM

ShiMACHaze

Your sarcasm detector is just sensitive enough to catch a possible match, but not sensitive enough to flag it as the obvious sarcasm it is.

PROTIP: It's sarcasm. Recalibrate.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Mar 25 2014, 07:34 PM
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 25 2014, 07:40 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

This is now the official theme song of the Oculus Rift Data Collector, brought to you by Facebook™.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didzxUkrtS0 )
Kerxn
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 08:08 PM

now clean your screen

Member No.: 3,880

Man, aren't you guys so hyped for VR Farmville?!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Shirogane
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 11:27 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

I'm just going to sit back, grab some popcorn and watch as this turns out to be an April fools stunt. derp.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 01:53 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 2 hours, 25 minutes ago)
I'm just going to sit back, grab some popcorn and watch as this turns out to be an April fools stunt. derp.gif

unsure.gif

blink.gif

God that would be fucked up.
Perry
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 02:05 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 2 hours, 38 minutes ago)

A PR stunt that has real manifestation on their market cap? I don't think so. Facebook's stock price dropped 1% after the news of the acquisition. The drop is equivalent to two billion dollars in market value.

Yeah, I don't think so.
RalliKai
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 07:57 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

A very expensive April Fool's joke it would be so I'm in agreement about it being legitimate, and saddening.
Spaz
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 09:01 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The Kickstarter investors are out their donations. This whole thing is just messed up. sad.gif
Nerubian
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 09:31 AM

Living in the woods when it's raining in the dark.

Member No.: 36,931

What's the point for a social network to own a VR headset? facepalm.gif
I hope the inventors of OR will regret their move, mainly because they sort of betrayed their investors.
SgtXDNX
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 09:52 AM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

QUOTE (Kerxn @ Yesterday, 3:08 PM)
Man, aren't you guys so hyped for VR Farmville?!

VR Candy Crush Saga, you filty casual peasant. Do you even microtransactions?
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 09:56 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Well... There goes any hopes of cool games for the Oculus Rift... I'm sure there will be games still made for it, but I doubt any of them will be as cool... dry.gif
Vortrex
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 01:06 PM

1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86

Member No.: 38,745

Zuckerberg is an ambitious boy. I hope some better company aquires the Rift after it becomes a huge failure.

And don't forget, some small company's (or bigger than we thought), bought some of the Rift before all this.
So if they could be more successful than fb, we could still get some interesting things to see.
kyonpalm
  Posted: Mar 26 2014, 03:24 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Good news and bad news: BASED SONY SAVES VR. Bad news: the worst overcharging company next to Apple saves VR. Suck it, OculusBook.
KonradZuse
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 04:02 PM

IDW Expert Member

I dont' think anyone is out any Backer money, all backers should be still getting their oculus Rifts.

Yes, there wasn't a kickstarter technically needed, but they did get funding needed to start out.

People think just because FB bought it that it's going to be bad.

Anyone can use the Oculus SDK and create their own games.

FB isn't in charge of everything, just the upgrades to the device itself.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 06:21 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (KonradZuse @ 2 hours, 18 minutes ago)
Anyone can use the Oculus SDK and create their own games.

FB isn't in charge of everything, just the upgrades to the device itself.

That's not necessarily true. While that is true right now, the thing people are wondering at is whether FB will decide to lock the device down and exert licensing/ad/othernastythings requirements on its development. Oculus was originally independent and open. With a massive entity like FB taking it under its wing it's only natural to wonder how that will alter the fundamental belief system driving the device's continued development.

Perhaps nothing will happen and everything will continue as normal, albeit at a faster pace thanks to increased R&D funding.

Or perhaps FB will completely ruin it by attempting to control it.

We'll see.
KonradZuse
Posted: Mar 27 2014, 06:14 AM

IDW Expert Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 6:21 PM)
That's not necessarily true. While that is true right now, the thing people are wondering at is whether FB will decide to lock the device down and exert licensing/ad/othernastythings requirements on its development. Oculus was originally independent and open. With a massive entity like FB taking it under its wing it's only natural to wonder how that will alter the fundamental belief system driving the device's continued development.

Perhaps nothing will happen and everything will continue as normal, albeit at a faster pace thanks to increased R&D funding.

We'll see.

Yeah, you're right,t hat it's possible FB will mess things up, but why would they take something and start charging for it and such? The SDK could have a monthly charge(like some software) but doubtful since I dont' see anythign with the cloud(bujt I'm not that familar with Oculus itself so who knows).
projectevo5
Posted: Mar 28 2014, 11:10 PM

Neo Devil Z

Member No.: 6,088

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Mar 26 2014, 10:21 PM)

We'll see.

Well as it stands, their official stance on Oculus Rift is that they want to keep it on its current track but obviously push it along with more funding.

In addition they want to find alternative uses for it, such as media or social applications. Whether this additional focuses will impact the original vision needs to be seen.

2 Pages  1 2