Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Neo - Go Go Money (Friday Night version)

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 8,594  ·  Replies: 80 
> Police Arrest "Manhattan Speed Freak", For lapping Manhattan Island in 24 minutes
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 04:23 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (MidnightViper88 @ 9 minutes, 39 seconds ago)
Says the armchair lawyer.

I nominate this for this week's Most Valuable Post.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
W.A.R
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 04:31 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 11,318

I think this might be credited
http://www.town-court.com/article/NY/tompk...endangerment/52

I dont see that it was ever a fourth degree unless you read some where wrong
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 06:36 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Midnight_Raven
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 08:26 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,394

Dorifuta I agree with you. It could be because maybe we are used to how people drive in New England metropolitan areas like New York City, Boston, Etc. After finally seeing the video I could only say he should be ticketed for speeding and eating that one red light. Not reckless endangerment.

In all reality the only thing I could say is he is stupid for revealing incriminating evidence himself before the time frame that the statue of limitations would of freed him from any repercussion for his actions.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 08:30 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Midnight_Raven @ 3 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
After finally seeing the video I could only say he should be ticketed for...eating that one red light.
Not reckless endangerment.

Yeah, except eating the red light is still reckless endagerment. It's red. That means you don't proceed. It doesn't mean 'well I think there's a 2-second delay between the lights changing so I should be okay', it means you were endangering the safety of yourself and everyone else on the road.

I hope everything they throw at him sticks so hard that it wipes the smug grin off his stupid face.

And Dorifuta, are you trying to defend this guy's actions so vehemently because you're projecting? You saw what he did and what he's being charged with and what's going to end up happening to him and are realizing you might be next? wink2.gif
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 08:58 PM

Unregistered

This post has been edited by Dorifuta on Sep 9 2013, 09:00 PM
Midnight_Raven
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:03 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 32 minutes, 58 seconds ago)
Yeah, except eating the red light is still reckless endagerment. It's red. That means you don't proceed. It doesn't mean 'well I think there's a 2-second delay between the lights changing so I should be okay', it means you were endangering the safety of yourself and everyone else on the road.

I hope everything they throw at him sticks so hard that it wipes the smug grin off his stupid face.

And Dorifuta, are you trying to defend this guy's actions so vehemently because you're projecting? You saw what he did and what he's being charged with and what's going to end up happening to him and are realizing you might be next? wink2.gif

With that way of thinking that means someone in the US thousands of miles away is in danger of his red light pass because he is endangering everyone else on the road at that instant. If you agree with that then you are saying that you going 1-5 mph over the speed limit (which everyone who has ever driven a car has most likely done at least once in their life) is also reckless endangerment because everyone else on the road could be in danger over your 1-5mph need for speed.... do you agree with that statement?

I would agree with that charge if he blew past a red light with a crowd of pedestrians crossing and 15 cars going through it but if there is nobody there, which it appears to be in the video, he simply ate a red light when he saw that it was a clear crossing. When he approached other intersections with people and cars present he waited like he should. As much as I hate people that eat red lights I think it's fair to assess the circumstance for each infraction.

Based on evidence shown I don't fully agree on the reckless endangerment charge. I simply see excessive speeding and eating a red light.

This post has been edited by Midnight_Raven on Sep 9 2013, 09:04 PM
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:20 PM

Unregistered

Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:26 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Midnight_Raven @ 22 minutes, 45 seconds ago)
With that way of thinking that means someone in the US thousands of miles away is in danger of his red light pass because he is endangering everyone else on the road at that instant. If you agree with that then you are saying that you going 1-5 mph over the speed limit (which everyone who has ever driven a car has most likely done at least once in their life) is also reckless endangerment because everyone else on the road could be in danger over your 1-5mph need for speed.... do you agree with that statement?

I would agree with that charge if he blew past a red light with a crowd of pedestrians crossing and 15 cars going through it but if there is nobody there, which it appears to be in the video, he simply ate a red light when he saw that it was a clear crossing. When he approached other intersections with people and cars present he waited like he should. As much as I hate people that eat red lights I think it's fair to assess the circumstance for each infraction.

Based on evidence shown I don't fully agree on the reckless endangerment charge. I simply see excessive speeding and eating a red light.

Your argument is semantics based on my wording? You would have rather I said 'everyone at that intersection' even though thanks to the wonders of context it was clear that that was exactly what I meant? You really want to do this right now, 17 posts?

As for your argument that 1-5 MPH over the posted limit is equivalent to running a red light, you're right, I don't agree with that at all. There is a hilariously huge difference between exceeding the speed limit by a margin of error and proceeding through a red light.

That you and AJ don't seem to understand these basic concepts just makes me realize that no matter where I end up in the future, it needs to not be back on the east coast. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Midnight_Raven
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:28 PM

IDW Member

I would agree for the majority of the video he was doing speeds that even I do at times during normal driving but it seems in some parts he is doing triple digits would I think in NY would be classified as excessive speeding.

Post count doesn't mean anything except you've spend a lot more time here than I have, get off your high horse.

Oh so you do agree that there is a difference between speeding within a magin of error and eating a red light? So does that mean you then agree that there is a difference between eating a red light at an empty intersection vs a fully populated one?

This post has been edited by Midnight_Raven on Sep 9 2013, 09:42 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:33 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ 34 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
And hell no, my situation couldn't be more further away from Reckless Endangerment if you tried. Lol. Not even hiring an attorney on this one, it's a throwaway case. Unless you were joking, because I can't tell. ermm2.gif

Wasn't referring to your current ticket at all, just driving in general. wink2.gif
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:53 PM

Unregistered

Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 09:56 PM

ShiMACHaze

I'm referring specifically to the issue where you and this other NEer think that running a red light isn't the same thing as being reckless and endangering the lives of yourselves and others.
Midnight_Raven
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 10:16 PM

IDW Member

Nomake wan what I find hard to believe someone with you almighty post count cant comprehend that eating a red light does not automatically mean you are endangering lives. I don't condone and don't do it myself but I can't accuse someone of endangering lives that ARE NOT THERE! That was a empty intersection unless you want to say he was endangering the life of the other guy eating the light as well then I guess you got me with that technicality lol

I guess we should agree to disagree. wink2.gif

This post has been edited by Midnight_Raven on Sep 9 2013, 10:19 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 10:19 PM

ShiMACHaze

I hate to pull out a what-if, but what if he wasn't the only one eating a red? By ignoring a signal you are significantly increasing the chances of a collision. Just because you don't see someone doesn't mean there isn't someone flying the other way. Does it mean that you won't get hit by someone running a red when you've got a green? No--the video of that taxi getting destroyed by a Ferrari is wonderful proof of that.

But the Ferrari tried to beat the red.
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 10:40 PM

Unregistered

MasterFygar
Posted: Sep 12 2013, 05:38 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,711

I'm not sure what he expected, having filmed the whole thing and uploaded it. If you wanna try something like this, have your fun and put it on a USB for safe keeping if you want, but don't just upload videos of you blatantly breaking traffic laws.

I agree that much worse gets done every day, even on the country roads out where I live, but in this case I think it's almost a situation where if they hadn't made him an example they would have faced hundreds of other kids trying the same thing and filming better examples. It was when he broadcast it that it became an issue, and that they almost HAD to do something about it. I would side with the guy if he hadn't tried to make himself a youtube hero from it, but I'd be surprised in this case if it had any other outcome. It's like people who upload videos of them street racing, what do you expect is gonna happen!? You just filmed yourself violating a bunch of laws that can gain revenue for the local force, and then handed them the evidence on a silver platter. I feel bad for the guy but his dumb move wasn't his driving, it was his choice to upload.
JKaiba
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 06:59 AM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Attached is a Jalopnik article regarding speeding and speeding related deaths and accidents. As someone who used to work for a wrongful death/ personal injury firm I was taught that car crashes from red light runners are more likely than any other type of crash to produce some degree of injury. Last statistics I was given showed around 40% vs 30% on all other traffic accidents

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best-taked...-you-1302382244

They also drill into our head that speed kills but I would rather make an informed decision about that. Above video is from Canada but there's a lot of the same here in the US. I happen to think poor driver education rather than speeding kills in many cases. In an urban area if you're travelling over 20 or 30mph above the speed limit at that point you're probably in danger of being unable to stop in time for things whatever road you were on were designed for, but if you're going to argue 5 mph, I'm going to laugh and remind you most police won't even pull over for that unless they're bored or filling a quota.

As for this Afroduck- This guy was a fool for posting video of his antics. The end.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Sep 13 2013, 07:00 AM
Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 10:03 PM

Troll King

Member No.: 3,757

QUOTE (JKaiba @ Today, 6:59 AM)
In an urban area if you're travelling over 20 or 30mph above the speed limit at that point you're probably in danger of being unable to stop in time for things whatever road you were on were designed for, but if you're going to argue 5 mph, I'm going to laugh and remind you most police won't even pull over for that unless they're bored or filling a quota.

Apparently it takes approximately 43 ft for a vehicle to stop when travelling at about 30 mph, while it's apparently approximately 59 ft for a vehicle to stop when travelling at 35 mph. That's not factoring in the supposed average reaction time of 1.5 seconds, which adds an extra 66 ft at 30 mph or an extra 77 ft at 35 mph.

So total stopping distances, including reaction time, are supposedly 109 ft at 30 mph or 136 ft at 35 mph. That's not exactly a small difference, and obviously at higher speeds there'll be a higher difference.

Speed kills.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 11:10 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Mr. Shine @ 1 hour, 6 minutes ago)
Apparently it takes approximately 43 ft for a vehicle to stop when travelling at about 30 mph, while it's apparently approximately 59 ft for a vehicle to stop when travelling at 35 mph. That's not factoring in the supposed average reaction time of 1.5 seconds, which adds an extra 66 ft at 30 mph or an extra 77 ft at 35 mph.

So total stopping distances, including reaction time, are supposedly 109 ft at 30 mph or 136 ft at 35 mph. That's not exactly a small difference, and obviously at higher speeds there'll be a higher difference.

Speed kills.

If you're hauling ass on a two-lane road next to a school or through an alley or something, you're a moron. But 5 MPH on a six-lane main drag or a freeway?

QUOTE (Dan Joyce)
Braking distance? I don't care, get out of my fucking way you imbecile little fucking gay.
Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 11:20 PM

Troll King

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 9 minutes, 59 seconds ago)
If you're hauling ass on a two-lane road next to a school or through an alley or something, you're a moron. But 5 MPH on a six-lane main drag or a freeway?

Oh, absolutely, just pointing out that in certain context (for example just as you describe) a "mere" 5 mph can make a lot of difference. It's pretty commonplace in New Zealand for people to be driving at 60 km/h (~37 mph) in 50 km/h (~31 mph) zones, and for people to be travelling at 110-115 km/h (~68-71 mph) in 100 km/h (~62 mph) zones. I imagine it's much the same elsewhere in the world.

Extra figures, stopping distance between 60 mph and 65 mph is about a 40 ft difference.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 11:46 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Mr. Shine @ 26 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
Oh, absolutely, just pointing out that in certain context (for example just as you describe) a "mere" 5 mph can make a lot of difference. It's pretty commonplace in New Zealand for people to be driving at 60 km/h (~37 mph) in 50 km/h (~31 mph) zones, and for people to be travelling at 110-115 km/h (~68-71 mph) in 100 km/h (~62 mph) zones. I imagine it's much the same elsewhere in the world.

Extra figures, stopping distance between 60 mph and 65 mph is about a 40 ft difference.

While those figures certainly give you an idea of car-versus-sudden-stationary-object, I find that more important than speed in most driving is following distance. If I'm doing 80 in a 70, sure it takes a lot longer to stop (especially with my car's 4-wheel manual drum brakes!)...but if I've got an 8-car gap between me and whoever's ahead and shit comes to a sudden stop, I'm not gonna cram my bumper into that poor sap's dashboard through his liftgate.

Just putting that out there. I know it means nothing if someone steps out into the street without warning, but if you're cruising along in a 100 km/h zone chances are you're somewhere where following distance is a heck of a lot more important.
Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 14 2013, 12:06 AM

Troll King

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 20 minutes, 44 seconds ago)
While those figures certainly give you an idea of car-versus-sudden-stationary-object, I find that more important than speed in most driving is following distance. If I'm doing 80 in a 70, sure it takes a lot longer to stop (especially with my car's 4-wheel manual drum brakes!)...but if I've got an 8-car gap between me and whoever's ahead and shit comes to a sudden stop, I'm not gonna cram my bumper into that poor sap's dashboard through his liftgate.

Just putting that out there. I know it means nothing if someone steps out into the street without warning, but if you're cruising along in a 100 km/h zone chances are you're somewhere where following distance is a heck of a lot more important.

Following distance is another pet peeve of mine and you're not wrong, though certainly here in New Zealand people who speed tend also to follow far too close, in my experience tongue.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 14 2013, 12:24 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Mr. Shine @ 17 minutes, 30 seconds ago)
Following distance is another pet peeve of mine and you're not wrong, though certainly here in New Zealand people who speed tend also to follow far too close, in my experience tongue.gif

Dude it's a huge problem here in California too. You get people who are in such a 'hurry' that they'll swerve through traffic and cut people off to get even a single car ahead in traffic... and of course you have the people who tick me off the most, the ones who see the safety zone you created between yourself and the car ahead and go, "Ooh, look, a space!" and pull into it not realizing that if traffic comes to a halt, there's a possibility that I'll be reading their odometer from my seat. dry.gif
Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 14 2013, 12:44 AM

Troll King

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 19 minutes, 54 seconds ago)
Dude it's a huge problem here in California too. You get people who are in such a 'hurry' that they'll swerve through traffic and cut people off to get even a single car ahead in traffic... and of course you have the people who tick me off the most, the ones who see the safety zone you created between yourself and the car ahead and go, "Ooh, look, a space!" and pull into it not realizing that if traffic comes to a halt, there's a possibility that I'll be reading their odometer from my seat. dry.gif

Best part about following distance is the part it plays in start-stop traffic. People think it's a great idea to ride the ass of the car in front and have to brake and stop every single time they do, causing every other idiot behind them doing the same to... do the same.

4 Pages  1 2 3 4