Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing The Spiders From Mars - Fly Me to the Moon and Back

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

8 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 20,104  ·  Replies: 193 
> [PS3/360/PC] TES V: Skyrim, 11/11/11
Tessou
  Posted: Jan 21 2011, 03:28 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

That's right, Bethesda finally went and announced it, while giving us a scant few screenshots of things to come.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

Instead of continuing the trend of using the same f**king archaic Gamebryo engine that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas used, Bethesda is using a completely new engine, Havok Creation. The AI will also get an upgrade so they aren't as robotic. The whole retarded aspect where the world froze while you talked to people is gone. Now the camera stays wherever you had it, and characters will do whatever they want as they talk to you. For instance, talking to somebody chopping wood will not stop them from chopping wood as they speak with you.

The AI also has a large hand in side quests (but not the main quest). The game will tailor side quests depending on your character and what they've done, so it won't flood you with boring, unrelated quests. You'll be involved in stuff that makes sense for your character. Why send a barbarian on an assassination quest, right?

A new ability in Skyrim will be the "dragon shout" which is only gained by killing dragons. That's right, there are finally dragons. Bethesda is not saying if you can opt out of killing them and instead make them your mount. sad.gif

Going off the dragon bit, your character is the last of the dragonborn and will be embarking on a massive quest to stop a civil war in Skyrim and defeat the Nord God Alduin. It takes place some 200 years after Oblivion.

Not much else past that so far, since it was just announced, but I'm still quite stoked for this. I remember the posts on the Bethesda forum right after Oblivion released brimming with people's discoveries. Who knows what people will find in this new outing? smile.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Kamui
Posted: Jan 24 2011, 07:19 PM

Abba Zaba, you my only friend!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 469

I heard the news the other day, and have to say I am very excited. Now on to an announcement for Shenmue 3! I can only hope.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Spaz
Posted: Jan 24 2011, 08:06 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Do want!

It's been so long since I touched oblivion, I can't wait for this!
Sensation!
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 12:11 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

I have one word for this:

mods.
Spaz
Posted: Jan 25 2011, 09:07 AM

Group Icon

I <3 console commands!
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 9 2011, 10:56 AM

Group Icon

Bringing it back, because this is super relevant. Skyrim releases in just two days, on Veterans Day of all days! I had always prescribed this as the ONLY title that could take my attention off of Battlefield, and I'm already getting jittery thinking about how to build my character.

As Bethesda has confirmed that they're bringing back Morrowind's racist (and sexist) society in this game, character creation actually means more than just a few stat differences. Skyrim being Nord country, for once the mighty Imperials might not be the "default" choice for most players...

I'll still play Imperial. Barbarian all the way, b­itches! biggrin.gif
Spaz
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 11:31 AM

Group Icon

They were talking about this on KFAN (our local sports talk station) last night. Totally blew me away. The hosts were comparing how many hours they'd logged in Oblivion, etc, and it's like "Holy shit, these guys have lives outside of watching ESPN all day!"

We'll see when I pick it up, it won't be on launch day, I don't think. This hobby is really expensive right now, what with Forza 4, BF3, MW3, Skyrim, and Assassin's Creed all coming out in such a short period of time.
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 9 2011, 11:54 AM

Group Icon

I just paid off my preorder on Skyrim, so I can pick it up on launch day. I'll probably wait right outside my usual Gamestop around opening time so I can take it home and play as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, as it's not Modern Warfare, they do not have a midnight release here. sad.gif
Sensation!
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 12:26 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

Picking this up for 60 bucks on friday. Didnt pre-order or anything, though i probably should.

heres to hoping Bethesda doesnt let me down in choosing to pay full price for this over BF3. Also heres to hoping our stores are open on friday lol
venth85
Posted: Nov 10 2011, 12:24 AM

Hello again~~

Member No.: 21,309

I have to wait till Saturday to arrive at local store :/ , and same release with IMMORTALS movie laugh.gif
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 10 2011, 06:40 AM

Group Icon

For no reason, I reinstalled Oblivion and messed around for a few hours last night.

Guess I'm just in an Elder Scrolls mood now. biggrin.gif
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 12 2011, 05:09 AM

Group Icon

Pretty much spent all of yesterday playing this. It suffers from the usual Elder Scrolls glitches: graphical hiccups, unfinished texture mapping, lots of "pits" where your character can get stuck, etc. But everything else about the game more than makes up for the little mistakes.

Learning all of the dragon shouts is not as easy as simply finding the word and adding it to your arsenal. Typically each word is guarded by something particularly nasty. I was level 15 when I found a new word at the end of a very easy dungeon, and I was attacked by some sort of wraith that killed me about 10 times before I was able to kill it with some cheap guerrilla tactics. The bastard's drops were VERY valuable, though, so I guess it's meant to be that way.

Dragon shouts are all three-word deals, and you have to find all three before you can use the "true" version of the shout. The one you typically start out with "Fus", will sort of brush enemies aside or make them stagger. Level two will knock them over. Level three, the true version, will pretty much send them flying. I hit a (poor) rabbit with the level three and I never saw it again. tongue.gif

Magic is finally done right this time around, with constant effect spells now available that slowly drain your magicka as you use them. The bigger, more powerful versions of these spells are more like Oblivion's, where you fire one shot at the enemy and it does big damage. The ice spell, for instance, starts out as a constant-effect cone of frost. At higher levels, you can fire big ice shards at enemies that explode on contact and leave a small frost aura that can damage over time.

The entire game feels a lot more like Morrowind than Oblivion, really, and I don't mean that as a bad thing. The game world is segmented out into various zones that have very different topography and culture, totally unlike Oblivion. Oblivion's main cities all looked different, but the people were all generally the same. In Skyrim, the people are VASTLY different depending on where you go. Ulfgar's king city is full of racist Nords that hate everybody that isn't a Nord, while Solitude (and the true heir to Skyrim's throne) is rather peaceful open to all (except people who support Ulfgar). There's a big plot going on behind the scenes all the time, and you will have to choose sides. There's no way to appease everybody in the game, as it SHOULD be. smile.gif

My only complaint is that you can only have one companion at a time. Considering Oblivion allowed you up to three (I think), this should have been easy to implement.
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 12 2011, 07:34 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

I haven't seen many shots from the console versions but some of the pics from the PC version are just awesome. I like the level of detail they've put into this game.
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 12 2011, 08:56 AM

Group Icon

The console version looks damn good. Obviously not as good as PC, but they're quite beautiful.

The only graphical problems I've ever noticed are some mountain rocks clipping, as per usual for Elder Scrolls.
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 13 2011, 08:01 AM

Group Icon

I just crossed level 20 and human opponents are pretty much a cakewalk. Two Handed has a perk that lets you decapitate enemies (something like 10% of the time), and it's hilarious fun to watch in action.

Once you get a bit further in the quest, as in, learning of the nearly-extinct order that's investigating the dragons, the game begins throwing random dragon encounters at you a lot. I wrapped up killing a Blood Dragon (second only to named dragons in power) at a dragon word site, ran down the mountain it was on... only for ANOTHER Blood Dragon to come tearing after me along with two cave bears.

Using the initial dragon shout (FUS RO DAH) at its highest level is pretty hilarious. Get an enemy on the edge of a mountain or a bridge or something, and use it. I had a gang of bandits doing backflips off of a mountain, and I threw a bear over a big ass waterfall. smile.gif

Try using the time freeze shout in towns, and the guards will get mad at you, but complain that they can't arrest you since shouting isn't illegal. You can even tell them you won't do it again, and then promptly shout in their face. They'll tell you the same "don't do it again" message endlessly. biggrin.gif

Go to the abandoned house in Markarth, and you can speak to one of the gods of Tamriel.
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 14 2011, 05:40 AM

Group Icon

Completed Molag Bal, Clavicus Vile, Hircine and Sheogorath quests. They are all deliciously evil and fun. Considering the events of the Shivering Isles questline in Oblivion, there is a fair chance that Sheogorath is your character from that game.

If that's true, there's also the possibility that Jyggalag is in the game as well...

For some reason, I really want to see Hermaeus Mora and do his quest. I dunno. I've always been big into Elder Scrolls lore, and the legendarily reclusive Hermaeus is fascinating to me. The lesser-known Daedra like Meridia and Malacath always get me pumped when I find their shrines... or they find me.

EDIT: Confirmed Jyggalag is not in the game, and Hermaeus Mora's shrine is, as usual, hidden in some remote area on the map that will take lots of time to reach. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Aerowitz on Nov 14 2011, 10:03 AM
Jason_H.
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 04:55 PM

Safe On Block

Member No.: 1,239

Jumped on my buddy's high-powered PC for a second, maxed all the settings, made my character again---except this time we had CONSOLE COMMANDS! We spent the better part of seven hours trying to do the most inane and stupid stuff with these commands, topping it off with toggling on god mode, increasing my speed to 30x, and jumping off the throat of the world. I think my friend was on the floor unmoving for the better part of four minutes. Got to say, if you have a comp that can render things that fast, it's damned funny.
venth85
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 08:29 PM

Hello again~~

user posted image

This post has been edited by venth85 on Nov 14 2011, 09:03 PM
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 09:26 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

^ Nice. laugh.gif
venth85
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 09:52 PM

Hello again~~

I hereby requesting pics of your dovahhkin awesome.gif
Spaz
Posted: Nov 14 2011, 10:04 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jason_H. @ 5 hours, 9 minutes ago)
Jumped on my buddy's high-powered PC for a second, maxed all the settings, made my character again---except this time we had CONSOLE COMMANDS! We spent the better part of seven hours trying to do the most inane and stupid stuff with these commands, topping it off with toggling on god mode, increasing my speed to 30x, and jumping off the throat of the world. I think my friend was on the floor unmoving for the better part of four minutes. Got to say, if you have a comp that can render things that fast, it's damned funny.

Only reason I get these games for PC is the console. You will NEVER get bored, ever.

I can't think of one point where I've ever played through an ES game legit.
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:15 AM

Group Icon

My first run through Morrowind was on original XBOX, so console commands were impossible. I ran that shit legit, yo.

Then I got it on my computer, and console commands were my friend. biggrin.gif

That's always how I do it in ES games. Run it once legit, then just f­uck around from then on.
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 15 2011, 08:13 AM

Group Icon

Why that dragon is eating "9 Divines Ice Cream" is beyond me. Since the dragons typically pandered to the Daedric Princes, usually Akatosh or Peyrite, you'd think he'd be pounding down a pint of Dremora Cookie Crunch. tongue.gif

HAIL SITHIS!
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 10:48 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,634

A Night To Remember was by far the most awesome quest to date. laugh.gif Drunken shenanigans across Skyrim.

Plus, every time I hear Paarthurnax say "Dovah" I really think he's saying "boba"

user posted image

Even dragons like it..
Tessou
  Posted: Nov 15 2011, 12:41 PM

Group Icon

I wrapped up Hermaeus Mora's quest last night and it was a bit of a letdown. You don't get to actually see the giant disgusting spaghetti monster that he uses as his physical form. Instead, you only talk to a giant blue portal/vortex, and he doesn't sound imposing at all. sad.gif

His quest, as it was in Oblivion, is horribly long and arduous. First, you have to take a blank Dwemer lexicon to an incredibly deep ruin (prepare for an hour of fighting), and using it in a very difficult puzzle to extract an Elder Scroll (which you can sort of read!). Then, you're tasked with extracting blood of the merfolk, that is, killing elves and getting blood samples. No soul traps this time. Your reward is the Oghma Infinium, which does exactly what it did in Oblivion (boost a choice set of skills: warrior/mage/thief). At least the annoying quest giver is "tended to" by the Daedric Prince once you get the damned book, in hilarious fashion. The God of Knowledge does not screw around.

Azura, however, doesn't even deign to speak to you. You talk to one of her (his?) followers instead. You can walk right up to Azura's statue, but nothing happens.

F­ucking Daedra.

This post has been edited by Aerowitz on Nov 15 2011, 12:44 PM

8 Pages  1 2 3 »