Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (Final Stage) Nuage - Crazy Little Love

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Post your requests in the pinned threads. If your request does not belong to any existent pinned threads, please start a new topic.
• Please use Post Icons when starting new topics, to state the purpose of your topic and to have a better visual classification.

NEW RELEASES: Super Eurobeat 221 (23 January 2013), Super Eurobeat Presents Initial D Fifth Stage D Selection (08 February 2013), Super Eurobeat Presents Initial D Fifth Stage D Non-Stop Selection (08 March 2013), Initial D Fifth Stage Sound File (08 March 2013), Super Eurobeat 222 (20 March 2013)

Special Link(s): EUROBEAT.go2id (SEB Album Collection Site) (New Site), Revive Music Section (Donation Tracker)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,520  ·  Replies: 4 
> Remove personal info from iTunes purchases, iTMS Scrubber v2.5
otter87
  Posted: May 23 2020, 04:11 PM

Sexy Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,113

I'm creating this thread because I've had to reach out to multiple members here via PM regarding this issue:

When you purchase music from iTunes/Apple Music, there is personally identifying information embedded within the M4A files. This information includes the email address and the name associated with the account that was used to purchase the music. When sharing iTunes M4A songs/albums, this information can be found quite easily by anyone who downloads the shared files.

With that in mind, there was a utility created a number of years back, called iTMS Scrubber, which can remove this information from your purchases prior to sharing. It is no longer being developed/maintained, but the latest Windows version (v2.5) does still work. The utility is a bit hard to come by, so I'm sharing it here: http://www.zshare.net/file/euwu18ud6ot8...ber_25.zip/file

There is a readme file included in the .zip archive, but for those wondering how to use it, here's the instructions from the readme:

To use it, simply copy any directories containing files into the same directory that you extracted
this archive. Double-clicking the cmd file will recurse the directories and remove the following tags:

moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.pinf
This contains your name and an encrypted block of data (chtb) which possibly includes
account data.

moov.udta.meta.ilst.apID
Contains your email address

moov.udta.meta.ilst.sfID
StoreFront ID. This shows which country your account is tied to.

moov.udta.meta.ilst.purd
The date and time of purchase.

moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.UUID
moov.udta.Xtra
I haven't found either of these in any files so far but have it on good authority that
they should be removed if present. Note that this UUID atom is not the same as the one
required for syncing videos with iPods etc.

After the utility has been run, two text files will be created in the directory containing the scrubbed files. These files contain the before & after info from the scrubbing process.

There was a Mac version of the utility also, but from what I can gather, it was only updated to v2.3a and has been reported to not currently work by some people. I do not have a link to the Mac version. If you are a Mac user, I would recommend sending your original files to a Windows user that you trust and having them run the files through the Windows utility for you.

Anyway, I hope this is informative and I'll be keeping a copy of the archive on my PC in case it needs to be re-uploaded in the future.

This post has been edited by otter87 on May 23 2020, 04:49 PM
SonicoXD
Posted: May 23 2020, 07:05 PM

Super Sonico!🐬

Member No.: 47,712

Removing some tags with MP3Tag wasn't enough? unsure.gif
I may have to reup some things, thanks!
otter87
  Posted: May 23 2020, 07:23 PM

Sexy Guy

QUOTE (SonicoXD @ 17 minutes, 32 seconds ago)
Removing some tags with MP3Tag wasn't enough? unsure.gif
I may have to reup some things, thanks!

My understanding is that only removing the tags will not work. I haven't made an iTunes purchase in a while, and I haven't payed enough attention to the stuff I've downloaded recently before I run it through the utility. But from what I remember, there is a tag that lists the purchaser's email address, but there isn't one that lists the actual name associated with the account. Also, I'm pretty sure that I tried that once by removing the tag that lists the email address and then running the files through iTMS Scrubber and the "before" text file still showed the email address. I believe this information is stored in a different way within the file that is not read by typical tag editors. Someone who's more knowledgeable may be able to clarify this.

You could try this yourself and report back: remove the email tag from a file that you know hasn't been altered in any way after being initially purchased, then run it through iTMS Scrubber after removing the tag and see if the email address still shows in the "before" text file.

This post has been edited by otter87 on May 23 2020, 07:25 PM
faxmactor
Posted: May 24 2020, 12:52 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 28,170

There is another solution that uses ffmpeg through a cmd script:

iTunes PTD Lossless Remover 1.1

I guess this will work until ffmpeg does.
otter87
  Posted: May 26 2020, 01:37 AM

Sexy Guy

QUOTE (faxmactor @ May 24 2020, 12:52 PM)
There is another solution that uses ffmpeg through a cmd script:

iTunes PTD Lossless Remover 1.1

I guess this will work until ffmpeg does.

I hadn't heard of this, thanks for the link. The readme states that it removes all metadata. iTMS Scrubber only removes the specific atoms listed in the quote. I would say it's more just an annoyance to have to re-tag the albums, however there is one tag field, ITUNSMPB, that is apparently important for gapless playback (see here). I've never purchased or downloaded an non-stop iTunes release though, so I can't verify this.

This post has been edited by otter87 on May 26 2020, 01:37 AM