Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Super Eurobeat Presents - Non-Stop Re-Mix (Project D Version 3)

Views: 2,620  ·  Replies: 5 
> Transmission Problems, 2007 Honda S2000
AzNMaVbOi
  Posted: Jun 18 2010, 11:12 PM

I never asked for this...

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 15,854

I know a good number of transmission problems are pretty hard to diagnose without actually driving the vehicle, but hopefully I can get some insight into what is going on with my transmission before I take my car in on Monday.

Anyway, here's what's happening. I've had the car for about a month now and have driven approximately 430 miles. Around last week, I've started noticing a strange, knocking sensation when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It happens when I go from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th as well, but not often. There are also times when it takes a little bit of extra effort to get the car into the next gear and two times now I just can't get the car to go into gear. Instead of going into the gear, the gear will just grind instead. I know that the S2000's transmission is pretty forgiving, but I highly doubt it's designed to put up with continued abuse from grinding and knocking gears. What could possibly be going on with my transmission?

Some other details:
- Everything is fine once the car is in gear. There are no other noises or anything out of the normal.
- This only happens during up-shifts, not down-shifts
- This has only started happening in the past week. The first three weeks I've owned the car, the transmission has been smooth as butter.
- I have babying this car since the day I bought it. Before shifting gears, I make sure the clutch is fully depressed and my right foot is completely off the gas before I shift.
- This is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, which means all maintenance within 2500 miles of the scheduled service intervals have all been theoretically completed.
- Despite being a CPO vehicle, manual transmission fluid is NOT one of the fluids the dealer is required to inspect or change during the certification inspection (transmission fluid check only applies to automatic transmission for some strange reason).

So can anyone help me out here? This is really bugging me and I really want to know what the heck is going on with my car! Thanks in advanced!

So does anyone have any idea
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
Posted: Jun 18 2010, 11:26 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I'm not totally sure about this if it's inside your gearbox, but it sounds a lot like your clutch isn't fully depressing, which likely means it's a hydraulic problem. Check your clutch fluid reservoir, if it looks low, you're probably leaking someplace. Nobody usually checks manual transmission fluid because they gearboxes are typically sealed. They don't burn fluid like an automatic can, and you don't have to worry about draining/refilling the fluid for many thousands of miles. Look everywhere for a clutch fluid leak. My system uses brake fluid. I had a similar problem, but the leaking fluid eats paint, and comes from the same reservoir, so it tripped me up for a long time. My clutch master cylinder lost a seal. I reckon the same could have happened to you.

Good luck, hope you find the culprit.
CrypticApathy
Posted: Jun 19 2010, 05:33 PM

OH SNAP!

Member No.: 1,065

Sounds like a clutch problem to me. A way to find out if it is, is to clutchless shift. If you arnt having that problem by doing that then its your clutch. If you are then it could be your syncros going out.
AzNMaVbOi
  Posted: Jun 20 2010, 08:21 PM

I never asked for this...

Member No.: 15,854

QUOTE (Cactus @ Jun 18 2010, 11:26 PM)
I'm not totally sure about this if it's inside your gearbox, but it sounds a lot like your clutch isn't fully depressing, which likely means it's a hydraulic problem. Check your clutch fluid reservoir, if it looks low, you're probably leaking someplace. Nobody usually checks manual transmission fluid because they gearboxes are typically sealed. They don't burn fluid like an automatic can, and you don't have to worry about draining/refilling the fluid for many thousands of miles. Look everywhere for a clutch fluid leak. My system uses brake fluid. I had a similar problem, but the leaking fluid eats paint, and comes from the same reservoir, so it tripped me up for a long time. My clutch master cylinder lost a seal. I reckon the same could have happened to you.

Good luck, hope you find the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked my clutch fluid in the morning but it was still full so I don't have a leak anywhere.

Sounds like a clutch problem to me. A way to find out if it is, is to clutchless shift. If you arnt having that problem by doing that then its your clutch. If you are then it could be your syncros going out.

I'm not sure I'm up to clutchless shifting yet, but thanks for the suggestion though!

In any case, I'm stumped. I dropped off my car at my local Honda dealer today to be check out tomorrow. Hopefully if there's an issue, it'll be a minor one that isn't going to cost me a lot of money.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Skv012a
Posted: Jun 21 2010, 12:55 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,343

Good luck and though I asked about clutchless shifting, I wouldn't recommend trying it unless/until you know your shift rev points very well.
CrypticApathy
Posted: Jun 21 2010, 07:52 PM

OH SNAP!

Member No.: 1,065

Anyone one with some what decent exsperince with driving a manual can clutchless shift relatively easy. Just start going and when your shifting out of first leave it in neutral until your rpms drop to a idle then slowly give it gas while your applying a small amount of pressure to put it in to 2nd gear. Rinse repeat for the other gears. You will feel it pop in to place. When i say small amount of pressure i mean very very little just enough to have the stick sitting on the edge right before you would start grinding. Most cars its usually around 2k rpms or so for 1st to 2nd and from 3rd its about 2.5 to 3k. Thats what its been like for my past 4 cars.