Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS1) Manuel - Gas Gas Gas

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

8 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 82,566  ·  Replies: 190 
> Beginners guide for getting into motorsports, Feel free to sticky this
backalleyracer
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 04:59 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 7,122

I'm not afraid, competition is tough are these parts too, but you have your boats and I have mine. as I stated, I'd rather be driving more than less wink2.gif

and I used to go out to autox events back in 05' and drift the course, me and a good friend of mine went to many events and did this. In fact, one time, they even set up what they decided to call a "fun course"

they set it up for drifting, and everyone had a go at it, quite fun indeed smile.gif

Spaz
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 06:58 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Watching the drifters try to grip around corners in autox is hilarious. Understeer city.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
peemyTNBow
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 09:39 AM

Unregistered

Out here we just all pool in and rent out the track for a whole day. Then we do w/e the hell we please.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 4 2010, 10:06 AM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

QUOTE (BmwNeoType @ 26 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
Out here we just all pool in and rent out the track for a whole day. Then we do w/e the hell we please.

Which is good if you have a data logger or if you need to make adjustments to you car to stabilize it to your driving style. It's hard to tell off feel alone if you're doing anything correctly to improve your driving. Without timing devices and splits, you might be doing more harm than good.
peemyTNBow
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 10:46 AM

Unregistered

We just focus on accurate consistency more than just getting the fastest times. Usually one of the guys has some datalogging stuff.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 4 2010, 11:47 AM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (BmwNeoType @ 1 hour, 0 minutes ago)
We just focus on accurate consistency more than just getting the fastest times. Usually one of the guys has some datalogging stuff.

Are you all driving his car? Data loggers are ingrained into a vehicle, or at least the ones I've worked with. Shock travel monitors, brake monitor (throttle can be spliced off tps), etc.

Consistency is key and a great area to focus on thumbsup.gif. Nailing a good flying lap is one thing, but if your times are erratic, then it's pointless.

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Apr 4 2010, 11:48 AM
backalleyracer
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 03:41 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 8 hours, 43 minutes ago)
Watching the drifters try to grip around corners in autox is hilarious. Understeer city.

its even more funny to see grip guys trying to drift

accident city laugh.gif laugh.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 03:54 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 4 hours, 7 minutes ago)
(throttle can be spliced off tps)

Get a real throttle.

And why don't most drifters know how to drive? You can cure understeer pretty easily.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 4 2010, 04:04 PM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ 22 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
its even more funny to see grip guys trying to drift

accident city  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Because "grip guys" dont know anything about car control and drifting is super duper ooper hard! How else could 18 year old's with hardly any wheel experience get onto national drift circuits?

Also, there is no such thing as a "grip guy"... I'm pretty sure 'Nando didn't turn to Massa after Bahrain's 1-2 finish and say, "Felipe mi hermano, it's a great thing we were 'grip guys'"

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Apr 4 2010, 04:07 PM
MattW
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 04:12 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

Definitely a better weekend this one than last.

Sr won his heat race, and finished third in his feature in the mini, which was able to be pulled instead of re-clipped. Steve won his heat race, and finished second in his feature, in the Street Stock.
Möbius
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 04:28 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 23 minutes, 47 seconds ago)
Because "grip guys" dont know anything about car control and drifting is super duper ooper hard! How else could 18 year old's with hardly any wheel experience get onto national drift circuits?

Also, there is no such thing as a "grip guy"... I'm pretty sure 'Nando didn't turn to Massa after Bahrain's 1-2 finish and say, "Felipe mi hermano, it's a great thing we were 'grip guys'"

That last part made me spit on my screen, thanks. laugh.gif
Spaz
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 04:35 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I wish the season here didn't start so late. Iowa's already underway, and I can't afford to take whole weekends off to go down there.
MetalMan777
Posted: Apr 4 2010, 05:59 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ 1 hour, 31 minutes ago)
That last part made me spit on my screen, thanks. laugh.gif

Makes 2 of us. That was pretty good.

But seriously, drifting is like painting. It only takes minutes to learn, but ages to master.

Actually racing is like the game go. It takes forever to learn how to do it right, and it takes even longer to get good at it. It's also like sex, everybody thinks they're good at it.
backalleyracer
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 02:01 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 9 hours, 57 minutes ago)
Because "grip guys" dont know anything about car control and drifting is super duper ooper hard!  How else could 18 year old's with hardly any wheel experience get onto national drift circuits?

The same way 18 year old's race in your racing circuits wink2.gif

You can say whatever you want, until you go out and do it, competitively. I've done autox competitively wink2.gif

There are certain sports I don't understand, or get why someone would want to do it, but I'm not a hater and wouldn't hate on someone for having there share of fun.

At the end of the day, that's what I'm doing, having fun, I am not here for social acceptance, I am here to have my fun with my cars, in my own way. I could imagine of one day going pro, but for now, I am an amateur, although I'd like to say I'm great at it, and given the chance, I could be better. But When that opportunity comes, I'll run with it.

I can't speak for you, But just like me, you aren't going to be pro anytime soon, even if you ever dream that high. I am sorry I don't keep up with whatever racing series you watch, and you for sure don't keep up with what I watch, instead you choose to make assumptions and base your opinions on a subject you are not knowledgeable about at all, good job.

In the mean time, I'll keep honing my skills, in something you can't even fathom, since you are creating your own wall of impossibility through your own hatred towards something you don't even full understand - or at least have a very simple idea of how it works.

And to think "drifters" don't know how to grip is a joke too.

don't fret though, I love haters wink2.gif

This post has been edited by backalleyracer on Apr 5 2010, 02:37 AM
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 5 2010, 03:28 AM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ 1 hour, 27 minutes ago)
The same way 18 year old's race in your racing circuits wink2.gif

Most professional drivers start off in karting at a very young age (pre-teen) and work their way up from there. They, of course, dont have the illustrious background as this douche-bucket: http://www.formulad.com/drivers/patrick-mordaunt.html

There are certain sports I don't understand, or get why someone would want to do it, but I'm not a hater and wouldn't hate on someone for having there share of fun

I dont "hate on" someone for the sport they participate in. Drifting isn't a sport though. It's graded on a thumbs up or thumbs down scale, this isn't a sport, it's figure skating. Real motorsports begin and end with the timer and dont look to a bunch of losers for their 1-10 scale rating. Now there Oksana Baiul, run along.
backalleyracer
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 03:44 AM

IDW Goldmember

Last time I check, figure skating is not only a sport, it is an competitive on an Olympic level

what were you saying about sports ?

keep on hating

and that "douche-bucket" is a friend of mine, and a pretty cool guy. Only reason he is around is because his family is fortunate enough to allow him to go to these events. Pat is decent at best, to be honest though, nothing Forrest Wang level about him.

This post has been edited by backalleyracer on Apr 5 2010, 03:48 AM
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 5 2010, 04:09 AM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ 24 minutes, 49 seconds ago)
Last time I check, figure skating is not only a sport, it is an competitive on an Olympic level

It's also the joke of the Olympics (not like the winter olympics isn't already boring enough). The only people who take it seriously are the people competing and housewives with nothing better to do because they hate their life.

and that "douche-bucket" is a friend of mine, and a pretty cool guy.

Keep writing, I'm sure I'll start caring about something you scribe sooner or later. A blind guy will hit the bulls-eye sooner or later if he throws enough darts.
backalleyracer
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 04:18 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 8 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
It's also the joke of the Olympics (not like the winter olympics isn't already boring enough). The only people who take it seriously are the people competing and housewives with nothing better to do because they hate their life.

Because your opinion is so much more valued than the world who watches it. Riiiiiigghhhtttt

btw - thank you for proving my point in that you have no idea what you are talking about.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 5 2010, 04:35 AM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ 16 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
Because your opinion is so much more valued than the world who watches it. Riiiiiigghhhtttt

btw - thank you for proving my point in that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Shhh.... Listen... It's the sound of nobody giving a shit about you.

Anyway, folks, that was a fun detour with the "drift community". You can see what they have to offer by their chairman, backalleydumbass. Motorsports seasons are really kicking into full gear, so check SCCA.com and see when their points events start in your area.

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Apr 5 2010, 04:37 AM
backalleyracer
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 04:38 AM

IDW Goldmember

thank you for your concern.

But I doing beautifully over here

smile.gif

thanks for the chairman position, your truly to kind.

This post has been edited by backalleyracer on Apr 5 2010, 04:39 AM
MetalMan777
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 05:35 AM

Snooping as usual

The forums are awfully flamey these days, I admit I've played my part, but jeez.

Anyway, drifting is something I do for fun. I do it about as competitively as going up to my buddies and saying "I bet you can't do better". Seeing as how they don't have an FR like I do, it's not saying much.

My motorsports involvement is much more mechanical. I'd prefer to be a pit guy rather than a driver. I'm not saying I don't have driving skills, but I'm too fat to look good in nomex, so I don't bother driving. I do kinda want to break into karts or something, that could be a lot of fun.
impreza0109
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 05:39 AM

IDW Special Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,250

thanks for the write-up. with this, nobody would think at first that motorsports is a too-expensive of a sport. =)
MattW
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 07:56 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (impreza0109 @ 2 hours, 17 minutes ago)
thanks for the write-up. with this, nobody would think at first that motorsports is a too-expensive of a sport. =)

If you think it aint expensive, you're gonna get a serious kick in the dick when you start doing it.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Apr 5 2010, 08:15 AM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (MattW @ 18 minutes, 58 seconds ago)
If you think it aint expensive, you're gonna get a serious kick in the dick when you start doing it.

1st and 2nd place for the Washington DC region in G-stock at years end cost them a set of whatever wheels, a set of A6's and entry fees for the events. They used their daily driver Mini. There are cheap avenues, and they're a lot less headache than dealing with the crap I put up with my two aging Toyota's.
JKaiba
Posted: Apr 5 2010, 03:38 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

I've done both expensive and cheap. To expound on the cheap:

I used to autocross my Jetta all the time. Had nothing but suspension stuff and tires. Did better than a lot of heavier or high power sports cars or folks who were still learning car control. It was fun but I wanted to do real track stuff and go a lot faster instead of just running around a skid pad. Still nothing quite like 10-20 bucks for autocross to learn basics at low speed. Did take the Jetta out for SCCA/NASA events at PIR and Firebird in Arizona. It was obvious to me though that for what I wanted I needed a chassis that would handle track because the Jetta was getting all sorts of messed up from hard driving. It's still lots of fun even if you don't own a performance automobile.

Just curious- what is with your deep seated hatred with drifting floh? I'm not a big fan of a lot of the new stuff myself since it got bastardized by a lot of factors but it doesn't mean I feel those drivers have no real skill or talent. Or is it just your personal beef with backalley? Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal more respect for someone who can optimize track times. I know how hard that is compared to just getting the car to look cool sideways. However drifting I feel is just another art form created by the automotive culture we live in. I think it's rather improper to discourage folks reading this thread to stay away from sanctioned legal drift events and education. Some folks might read this and think: This floh guy thinks drifting sucks as a sport. I should only do it illegally so I'm not ghey like these people paying for track time to do it.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Apr 5 2010, 03:57 PM

8 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 »