Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) Ace - Crazy On Emotion

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,191  ·  Replies: 53 
> Why is Iketani called by his last name?
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 10:05 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,345

QUOTE (xiao @ 2 hours, 42 minutes ago)
Yeps yeps, it's gonna take a miracle at this point cause it's not like Funimation forgot about Initial D ~ they just don't know what to do with it ~ cause 4th Stage didn't hit the numbers they were expecting to sell. I really do hope Viz picks up the manga in their Signature line. Next time you're at Barnes & Noble lightly go through a volume of Black Lagoon or Terra Formars, both Viz Signature manga titles, and you'll see how nice those books are ~ I betcha they could out-quality TokyoPop's old version too! happy.gif

I've been to Barnes and Nobles a few times and I've never seen the Initial D manga, its in Amazon, but I'm pretty sure Barnes and Nobles don't have the Initial D manga anymore. All we got for the manga with better translation are scanlations.

This post has been edited by Eternal Firebird on Aug 10 2016, 12:14 PM
Tessou
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 11:30 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 5 hours, 38 minutes ago)
So Funimation, the guys who brought the Dragon Ball Z anime, says Initial D is a flop? facepalm.gif If Funimation are being crap to the license, ok then, which explains why they haven't made up their mind on dubbing Fifth Stage and New Initial D, as for the manga, Viz Media should've continued the manga but with the original names reverted back and the other volumes re-released with a better translation.

Someone really needs to make a petition to make Funimation dub Fifth Stage and the New Initial D movies.

This post makes no sense.

The Dragonball franchise is a multimillion (billion?) dollar franchise. Initial D isn't. The analogy doesn't carry. Funimation can say that Initial D's localization was a flop, because it was. They aren't "being crap" to the license, they are treating it like a toxic asset, because it is.

Viz has no ties to Kodansha and never will. They are rival companies, hence I mentioned that Kodansha was handing off licenses to Del Ray. Viz is in partnership with Shogakukan and Shueisha. They have never worked with Kodansha. The only history between the companies is a license transfer of Battle Angel Alita: Last Order from Viz USA to Kodansha Comics USA, and Kodansha dropped it before publication was finished.

Funimation is not going to spend money to dub a series that will not make them a profit, even with ten million signatures. That is not how business works.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 12:13 PM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ 41 minutes, 4 seconds ago)
This post makes no sense.

The Dragonball franchise is a multimillion (billion?) dollar franchise. Initial D isn't. The analogy doesn't carry. Funimation can say that Initial D's localization was a flop, because it was. They aren't "being crap" to the license, they are treating it like a toxic asset, because it is.

Viz has no ties to Kodansha and never will. They are rival companies, hence I mentioned that Kodansha was handing off licenses to Del Ray. Viz is in partnership with Shogakukan and Shueisha. They have never worked with Kodansha. The only history between the companies is a license transfer of Battle Angel Alita: Last Order from Viz USA to Kodansha Comics USA, and Kodansha dropped it before publication was finished.

Funimation is not going to spend money to dub a series that will not make them a profit, even with ten million signatures. That is not how business works.

nevermind, thought they were being "crap" to the license, sleep.gif screw it.

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 14 minutes ago)
I'm sorry, are you insinuating that DBZ is a flop? Are you quite serious, mate? laugh2.gif

Good luck with that petition to 'force' FUNimation to do anything. Unless it comes with a crowdfunding campaign attached to show them that you're consumers by definition (have the desire and the means to procure the desired good) it's not gonna do jack shit.

I didn't say DBZ was a flop, and I have no plans making a petition.

This post has been edited by Eternal Firebird on Aug 10 2016, 03:52 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 12:45 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

You really have no control over your own words, then, since that's exactly what your post said.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Tessou
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 01:45 PM

Group Icon

TBF he said "somebody" should make a petition, to shirk responsibility for the comment.

To take some action instead of just pissing in a bucket and wishing it turns to gold, I will send an email to Funi's PR dept about the future of the Initial D US license, and see what happens.
xiao
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 01:45 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 1 hour, 29 minutes ago)
nevermind, thought they were being "crap" to the license,  sleep.gif screw it.

haha~ don't take it too harsh Eternal my man... Initial D was one big commercial to sell Super Eurobeat. Gen sugartits Fukunaga knew this and he still took a risk, it didn't pay off, so he's moved on. The license is still active, which is why their just gonna let it expire in ?? years ~ happy.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 01:56 PM

IDW Jr. Member

I just want this conversation to end.

This post has been edited by Eternal Firebird on Aug 10 2016, 03:51 PM
xiao
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 04:22 PM

moon bunny

haha~ we're just being nit-picky. These forums have been around since 2002 ~ we've seen every thing related to Initial D anyone can fathom... including tofu-birfday cakes! awesome.gif

So it's settled, the reason nobody calls Iketani-senpai by his 1st name is cause it sounds like Takeshi Hongo on MugiMugi eyebrows meets caveman samurai... including his parents, yikes! laugh.gif
Tessou
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 05:51 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 3 hours, 54 minutes ago)
I just want this conversation to end.

But you started it! Clearing up confusion regarding the license is important in shaping your viewpoint on the series. Instead of moaning that Funi "bungled it", know that it was a business failure and not neglect.
Master0fMadness
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 05:55 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 46,279

Nobody wants to see a 20 year old Corolla with a stock engine kick ass.

That's why it flopped, Xiao.

Deal with it.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 06:15 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 19 minutes, 56 seconds ago)

That's why it flopped, Xiao.

Deal with it.

>stock engine
Yeah nah bruv, even the original motor wasn't stock. It was no Group A, but it wasn't bone-stock either. I recall Bunta having made adjustments to make the car more 'driveable', which is to say not raw power but just driveability in general. Power band adjustments, stuff like that. Sure, you're still comparing an '83 shitbox to more modern turbo cars with electronic wizardry on board, but I still can't help but poke at false statements.

It flopped because lots of reasons, but at least from personal experience from those who watched it--including some car guys I knew who weren't into Anime--the hero car being an old Corolla was anything but a turn-off.
Tessou
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 06:17 PM

Group Icon

It flopped here because it had a narrow audience and most of them were more interested in illegally downloading it instead of purchasing it.
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 06:23 PM

IDW Jr. Member

I don't know anything about the business inside Funimation, I've been here for about a few days, I created this topic to wonder why Iketani is called by his last name, but I went off topic and was wondering why Funimation aren't dubbing Fifth Stage. Didn't know Fourth Stage didn't sell well. I had to look up on the internet, and turns out all four stages were on this label called S.A.V.E., I also looked at a 2011 topic post on this forum and turns out the S.A.V.E. thing is anime that's being sold for cheap. I was unaware of this. So I'm sorry if I was neglecting and sorry if I was acting like a hypocrite.

This post has been edited by Eternal Firebird on Aug 11 2016, 05:59 AM
Master0fMadness
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 07:50 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 46,279

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 33 minutes ago)
It flopped here because it had a narrow audience and most of them were more interested in illegally downloading it instead of purchasing it.

Ouch, truth hurts.

But that being said, I did purchase a "legit" DVD seal form Jackadeal, one of IDW's old sponsors.

Just wish more fans had the "bought not pirated" mindset I had back then.
xiao
  Posted: Aug 11 2016, 10:15 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ Yesterday, 7:55 PM)

You'll pay for this Captain Hachi-Roku!! mad.gif
Snowflake172
Posted: Aug 11 2016, 06:11 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 45,542

I don't see how Initial D "flopped" seeing as there is still a huge fanbase and demand for it (it was picked as the most wanted series to come back in a Japanese survey).
Tessou
Posted: Aug 11 2016, 07:12 PM

Group Icon

You're talking about the Japanese audience. I'm talking about the US release, which indeed did not sell very well by any definition. It was already reduced to S.A.V.E. sets within a year. That's bad. That's damn awful.

IDW probably had something to do with it, in a way. We do not throttle downloads hete, so illegal copies float around freely with no money going to Funimation.
kyonpalm
Posted: Aug 11 2016, 07:34 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Tessou @ 22 minutes, 3 seconds ago)
IDW probably had something to do with it, in a way. We do not throttle downloads hete, so illegal copies float around freely with no money going to Funimation.

While I don't want to argue about the effects of so-called "piracy", suffice to say I thoroughly disagree the sales were affected by anything other than lack of interest compared to their other licensed series.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: Aug 11 2016, 07:46 PM

Group Icon

I agree. It wasn't going to be a huge seller here unless it came over when the car craze was at that peak in 03-04. Instead Tokyopop fumbled it and we didn't get a decent dub for many years, by which point interest had already taken a plunge.
Ghost_of_Akina
Posted: Aug 12 2016, 06:47 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 44,853

Well, it doesn't help that anyone who gives a shit about real '90's sports cars (not pimped out hella-flush MacStrut FF Civics) is (well) in their 30s by now. That's what happens when it takes damn near 20 years to finish a story that only takes place over the course of 2 summers, but who's core demographic are 16-22 year-old males.

In 1998 in my dorm room, Initial D was the shit.

In 2015, at 35, Initial D was, "Oh, when the fuck did they make a 5th stage? I haven't seen that since 2004. Wait... why do the cars have wings now???" Sure, I watched it for nostalgia's sake, but only Final Stage Ep 3 & 4 were worth a damn (and even then, the scene recycling was glaringly obvious).
Seri
Posted: Aug 12 2016, 07:50 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

But I like 90s sports cars.

And I'm only 20.
Snowflake172
Posted: Aug 12 2016, 06:38 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 45,542

QUOTE (Seri @ Today, 7:50 AM)
But I like 90s sports cars.

And I'm only 20.

It's alright. Let the old guys keep saying that all of the younger generation are the problem and that all we care for is electronics. LOL facepalm.gif
xiao
Posted: Aug 13 2016, 10:17 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Ghost_of_Akina @ Yesterday, 8:47 AM)
Well, it doesn't help that anyone who gives a shit about real '90's sports cars (not pimped out hella-flush MacStrut FF Civics) is (well) in their 30s by now. That's what happens when it takes damn near 20 years to finish a story that only takes place over the course of 2 summers, but who's core demographic are 16-22 year-old males.

In 1998 in my dorm room, Initial D was the shit.

In 2015, at 35, Initial D was, "Oh, when the fuck did they make a 5th stage? I haven't seen that since 2004. Wait... why do the cars have wings now???" Sure, I watched it for nostalgia's sake, but only Final Stage Ep 3 & 4 were worth a damn (and even then, the scene recycling was glaringly obvious).

Normal people that write Otaku USA generally have less than stellar opinions about Initial D. All the majority of normie Jap people on twitter think Initial D & Eurobeat is for old people. They'd rather play video games and listen to Skrillex. We're preaching to the choir; normies don't like Initial D unfortunately.

Edit: What I wouldn't give for a Densha de D anime with the video game SuganoMusic eurobeat... but that's also a bit unlikely at this point.

This post has been edited by xiao on Aug 13 2016, 01:19 PM
Ghost_of_Akina
Posted: Aug 15 2016, 07:57 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 44,853

QUOTE (xiao @ Aug 13 2016, 10:17 AM)
All the majority of normie Jap people on twitter think Initial D & Eurobeat is for old people. They'd rather play video games and listen to Skrillex. We're preaching to the choir; normies don't like Initial D unfortunately.

I_D is stuck in a no-man's land. Anime snobs don't like it because it's not 'intellectual' (how's that NGE ending go again?? laugh2.gif ). Serious car enthusiasts don't like it because it's promoted an army of drift fanatics who know nothing and think a 25 year old Corolla is the ultimate vehicle ever (for those keeping score, that's a slow car driven in a slow fashion). Seriously; you did NOT want to admit to liking Initial D around car guys for a good 10 years after 1999.

But, it's always been a guilty pleasure of mine. And Eurobeat on my car radio will inevitably get me to punch the tach a bit harder than usual.
Meteor
Posted: Aug 15 2016, 10:58 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

because it's promoted an army of drift fanatics who know nothing and think a 25 year old Corolla is the ultimate vehicle ever

So
Fucking
True

Over half the fanbase knows cars less than half as well as they think they do. Ask any of our members that have had to watch over the IDW Facebook group.

3 Pages  1 2 3