Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 12 unique listeners, playing tenderness

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 5,244  ·  Replies: 32 
> It's official, First R32 enters US under 25 year law
JKaiba
  Posted: Jan 1 2014, 02:30 PM

Alias The J'

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 16,596

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2014/01/first-19...ontent=FaceBook

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

On paper the cars are supposed to come in on the month of their construction + 25 years so August. However some ports seem to be letting them in based on year. According to Sean Morris, EPA is pretty clear on what is exempt, NHTSA is still a bit vague so a word of warning there that until the day of the month of construction+25 some rules stickler at port can still hold you up but so far so good.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Jan 1 2014, 02:31 PM
Seri
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 02:50 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

Oh, I was wondering when this would pop up. I'm ready to see R32s on the road now.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 03:11 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,019

Nice, only 10 years late to the party wink2.gif
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 04:01 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

This seriously brightened my day.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 04:06 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

Good to know a lot of ports have different standards. derp.gif
Aixam Mega Track, anyone?
Banken
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 05:29 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

I considered buying one to do this, but R32s are just so damn old and so damn expensive to get to 100% that I didn't.
Tuskano
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 06:11 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,740

You've gained weight and had plastic surgery J.

Still, such good news about the R32 biggrin.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 06:46 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Cool stuff. I'm sure ICE is real happy about this. awesome.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Phantom_R32
Posted: Jan 1 2014, 07:13 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Whoa.. I was under the impression that it went by the month no matter what. That's good news though.

I'm definitely planning on getting one. Although I'm still on the fence about if I should look right now or wait a few more years.
JKaiba
  Posted: Jan 2 2014, 08:18 AM

Alias The J'

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ Yesterday, 7:13 PM)
Whoa.. I was under the impression that it went by the month no matter what. That's good news though.

I'm definitely planning on getting one. Although I'm still on the fence about if I should look right now or wait a few more years.

Like I said, on paper we know it's supposed to be by month. Some of the port guys are just going by year since apparently going strictly to the month can create complications. What those complications are I don't really know, I'm just parroting what Sean Morris iterated about what port of Long Beach told him.

I'd wait til the craze dies down and there are more cars filling the market. Right now there's a lot of people who've been waiting for this so I'd wait until some of those guys get their fix. There are plenty of R32s.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Jan 2 2014, 08:40 AM
Phantom_R32
Posted: Jan 2 2014, 02:18 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Figured I'd wait until some of the later models become legal, like the 91-93 models. By that time there will probably be quite a few being sold in the U.S. so I won't have to import.

Also, are the 89 models that were imported before this year still considered illegal?
JKaiba
  Posted: Jan 2 2014, 03:03 PM

Alias The J'

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ 44 minutes, 44 seconds ago)
Also, are the 89 models that were imported before this year still considered illegal?

No. They didn't enter the country with the DOT and NHTSA exemption paperwork in hand. They don't get grandfathered in because they're old now. Can they be hunted down like before; definitely. Will they? I don't think it's as likely as before but it's still possible.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 2 2014, 03:29 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (JKaiba @ 26 minutes, 25 seconds ago)
Can they be hunted down like before; definitely. Will they? I don't think it's as likely as before but it's still possible.

Probably only if they're looking to get you on something and will take any offense they can get, à la Capone on tax evasion.
RedsunsF1
Posted: Jan 2 2014, 05:54 PM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

One of my friends who races out at the track with us is a huge fan. All these are his and at his home garage ha
user posted image

His R32 is the best looking next the the DR30
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 2 2014, 07:20 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (FC_spec @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)
His R32 is the best looking next the the DR30

I dunno. I dare say the DR30 is prettier.
Seri
Posted: Jan 2 2014, 07:48 PM

Group Icon

I think I'd import an FC, myself.
Banken
Posted: Jan 3 2014, 05:45 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

Why? If you live in Japan and already had the car I could see doing it, but otherwise you're better off buying a Turbo II.
W.A.R
Posted: Jan 3 2014, 08:33 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 11,318

That is nice, but I rather see the R34, R32 never caught my attention.
Alleymardan
Posted: Aug 26 2014, 12:30 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,690

i have a car do.i.disply the.picture ita new.farari.want to purvhase any one

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Warning has been issued to this post by IDW Report System on Aug 26 2014, 12:50 PM.
  - Reasons: Flagged for being potential spambot, posting ability removed.
Rudy
Posted: Oct 23 2014, 08:27 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Seri
Posted: Oct 23 2014, 08:32 AM

Group Icon

I'd get an '94 R32 V-Spec II myself. If I imported a Skyline, anyway.

I'm a rotary fan, so... FC/FD, go!

This post has been edited by Miura Seri on Oct 23 2014, 08:33 AM
Rudy
Posted: Oct 23 2014, 08:58 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
JKaiba
  Posted: Oct 23 2014, 12:27 PM

Alias The J'

Talk to Sean Morris or follow his blog. http://www.gtrusablog.com/search/label/Import.

Long story short- Motorex cars that were imported are bond released. Bond released means the federal government/ customs has allowed the car to enter the country. If you have a bond released car, You have to check per state after that what requirements your car needs to be registered because it will be different everywhere.

If they came in whole and did not receive a bond release/ aren't owned by a foreigner to the US (which means they need to be out within 1 year anyway) they are not legal, period. If a body entered as drive train delete parts and was assembled from materials available in the United States in a way that it functions as a car and is registered as such... this is the true grey market. You are not supposed to have the same drivetrain go into the same car either because that is violative of clean air act. The law actually contradicts itself multiple times on this matter. The state can decide yes or no but they do this assuming your vehicle meets federal guidelines for importation. If you take this path you run the risk of becoming a target of your car being seized and auctioned off as part of an investigation on whether you brought them in legally because customs loves making an example of people even if they are in the legal right. Yes you can fight it.. but it takes money, resources, legal brilliance, connections and a lot of luck. Look at Kaizo. The owner of that company ended up as customs whipping boy even though technically what he was doing wasn't illegal. He ended up pleading to one of only 2 infractions on the books (the equivalent of pulling a mattress tag off in China and shipping it to the US.. I'm not joking) and none of his customers were charged with any crime. Considering people were facing 18 months in jail and felony charges at the beginning of the investigation, that kind of plea bargain indicates to me that customs wanted to avoid a colossal embarrassment because they were afraid to lose the case. It looks like they wanted to make it look like 'they won' even though they really didn't. I'm sure his legal bills were in the half million range easily to save that company. So it's up to you how much money you want to spend to save what.

So long story short, some of the grey market cars may be legal enough for you. But that doesn't mean the authorities can't make your life miserable because of what it is. Even if it's bond released, nothing's stopping a city cop from impounding your car because he doesn't like you but if your paperwork is in order it's much less likely.

Unless you never intend on letting the car touch a public road, talk to Sean Morris. If you want a track whore or museum piece... Talk to Sean anyway.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Oct 23 2014, 12:31 PM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Oct 23 2014, 08:53 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

Cool cars, but they've always seemed like so much of a hassle to me.

Owners of stock Evos and STIs are already concerned enough about getting pulled over for the big wing on a 100% street legal car. I can't imagine how worried I'd be in one of these. And that's just concerning law enforcement.
Spaz
Posted: Oct 24 2014, 09:06 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

I skipped the wing and went straight for blatantly illegal tint and giant attention grabbing stickers. laugh2.gif

2 Pages  1 2