Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Days

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,146  ·  Replies: 53 
> Why is Iketani called by his last name?
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 7 2016, 06:33 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,345

I'm new here, but this has been in my head for a while.

Iketani's (or Cole if you watched the Tokyopop dub or Arcade Stage English versions) full name is Koichiro Iketani, but why is he preferred by his last name? I'm okay with the name but it's just that the characters never prefer his first name, they always prefer to call him by his last name, like when Takumi and Itsuki calls him Iketani-senpai while his friend Kenji and some other people like Mako also call him by his last name. I've been wondering about this, why is he preferred by his last name?
kyonpalm
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 09:56 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Since Takumi and Itsuki only originally knew him professionally, it would be normal for them to refer to him by his last name, and maybe it just stuck or he never insisted they call him by his first name. It does seem a little odd now that I think of it, but he is their senior, so maybe it's a combination of things.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 10:08 AM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

Usually you refer to your seniors by their family name. Its respectful or something like that. Personally I think Koichiro is a lot harder to say than Iketani. And the name Iketani has a better ring to it. Koichiro sounds like you know him intimately, which may or may not be a bad thing...
kyonpalm
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 10:11 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 2 minutes, 21 seconds ago)
Personally I think Koichiro is a lot harder to say than Iketani. And the name Iketani has a better ring to it. Koichiro sounds like you know him intimately, which may or may not be a bad thing...

Well, "Koichiro" and "Iketani" have the same number of syllables, and they do know him as intimately as he knows them, which is what makes the discrepancy strange.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Master0fMadness
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 03:14 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 46,279

Wait...

His first name is Kouichirou and his last name is Iketani?

You're kidding, right? Right!?
Hannah
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 04:32 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,296

^ .........you're shitting me. -I- knew this, but -you- didn't??

Yes, the whole seniority thing is true, but it doesn't explain why Mako calls him by his last name. I figured since she's enamored with him, she would call him "Koichirou-kun" or something. :/
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
xiao
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 01:04 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ Yesterday, 8:33 AM)
Why is Iketani called by his last name?

It's a common respectful mannerism in other countries outside the US.

I grew up in Mexico & even my teachers called me "Aguirre". Singapore, China, and England have similar customs. Same deal in Japan, where "san" is the common norm.

Ryo & Keisuke call Takumi... "Fujiwara" happy.gif
Rain197
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 04:52 AM

euro☆neko

Member No.: 45,553

In France, teachers call us by our first name, and we call them by "Monsieur" (for Mr.) or "Madame" (for Mrs).
Up to High School, they employ the term "Tu" (for You), but after HS, they use "Vous" (more honorific for "you") → http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/gramma..._and_vous.shtml

All my friends and students from High Scool and Technical College called by my last name. The others by their first name.
xiao
  Posted: Aug 8 2016, 06:59 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ Yesterday, 12:11 PM)
Well, "Koichiro" and "Iketani" have the same number of syllables, and they do know him as intimately as he knows them, which is what makes the discrepancy strange.

Koichiro's a very archaic-manly name... it probably has less-than-cute etymological connotations within Japan. Kind of like a guy named Rogelio Jesus Aguirre Rodriguez... even to old Spanish people & the poor sap himself, it still sounds fugly as fōck. His last name doesn't help either, but luckily Iketani-senpai's surname has a nice ring to it, as Lena mentioned (Honda is a Street Fighter sumo-wrestler). The later chap would rather people that don't know his online handle call him "roge" or just deal with calling a white Mexican dude by a very Chinese nickname lol.
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 8 2016, 07:01 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ Yesterday, 11:14 PM)
Wait...

His first name is Kouichirou and his last name is Iketani?

You're kidding, right? Right!?

Not kidding, although his first name is not said in the anime and manga, if you seen Arcade Stage either watching it on YouTube or played it, the text that shows the names before the race starts, says his full name in Japanese.
xiao
  Posted: Aug 8 2016, 07:05 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 3 minutes, 10 seconds ago)
Not kidding, although his first name is not said in the anime and manga, if you seen Arcade Stage either watching it on YouTube or played it, the text that shows the names before the race starts, says his full name in Japanese.

He was being poetic/rhetorical... it's 2016, the manga came out in 1995. We all know his first name by now brotha~ happy.gif
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 8 2016, 11:16 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (xiao @ 4 hours, 10 minutes ago)
He was being poetic/rhetorical... it's 2016, the manga came out in 1995. We all know his first name by now brotha~ happy.gif

Didn't know he was being poetic.
Hannah
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 03:27 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,296

Neither. He is being clueless. Trust me on this. He thinks Hatsune is Mikus first name.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 04:04 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

What the hell are you two talking about?
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Master0fMadness
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 06:34 PM

Midnight Lover
Group Icon

Member No.: 46,279

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ Today, 7:01 AM)

Actually, I've played Arcade Stage for about 10 years and I've always wondered why they called him "Cole." You don't see his Japanese name... I don't think.

Gotta head back to The Break.

It doesn't matter either way, I can't read moonspeak.

I'm just crushed by the fact that for 12 solid years, I've been doing it horribly wrong. In my RP, in my fanfictions, all of it.
xiao
  Posted: Aug 8 2016, 09:37 PM

moon bunny

Remember that for every google search about an anime/character... there's a wiki some poor college dude that has way too much time on his hands wrote half a decade ago:

http://initiald.wikia.com/wiki/Koichiro_Iketani user posted image sorcerer.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 720. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 10:02 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ 3 hours, 28 minutes ago)
Actually, I've played Arcade Stage for about 10 years and I've always wondered why they called him "Cole." You don't see his Japanese name... I don't think.

I'm just crushed by the fact that for 12 solid years, I've been doing it horribly wrong. In my RP, in my fanfictions, all of it.

Now I know who you are, which explains what the other two were talking about. Carry on.
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 9 2016, 07:09 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (Master0fMadness @ Today, 2:34 AM)

Well it's Cole because since Tokyopop had the license Sega had to follow it, so they had to use the Tokyopop names for the US versions 1-4.

QUOTE (xiao @ 9 hours, 19 minutes ago)
Remember that for every google search about an anime/character... there's a wiki some poor college dude that has way too much time on his hands wrote half a decade ago:

š http://initiald.wikia.com/wiki/Koichiro_Iketani@http://i.imgur.com/tW9VaJd.png sorcerer.gif

http://i.imgur.com/9AeUZ5T.jpg

I've been to that Wiki before, unlike the other wikis that focuses on other anime, it kinda lacking. By lacking, I mean It doesn't have some things you see on a wiki focusing on an anime. Anime episodes, manga chapters, and other pages that summarizes the season of the anime. The biographies on characters looks weak and really needs some work. I don't recall Iketani saying in the anime and manga he's still living with his parents, I also noticed that on Takumi's page, they didn't add that he used to date Natsuki, and they said Rin Hojo's age is 26 even though its never specified. I do not mean to talk crap to the wiki, it's just that the wiki needs work.

This post has been edited by Eternal Firebird on Aug 9 2016, 07:32 AM
xiao
  Posted: Aug 9 2016, 11:48 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 4 hours, 39 minutes ago)
I've been to that Wiki before, unlike the other wikis that focuses on other anime, it kinda lacking.

I agree, there's much work to be done; but it's good they got their names down at least. Just like danbooru, I don't particularly go out of my way to work on wiki's, cause it's generally time consuming ~ but if I find something of interest to me that's missing, I make a quick edit & update that information.

Rain's working on a French Initial D wiki for a school-project. Besides him, I really don't know of anyone that's consumed the manga+anime inside & out. Hopefully once Rain's done with the core of the French wiki, some of that info can carry over to the pre-established Initial D wiki. I'm natively-fluent in Canadian, so I can just plug the info into the old wiki from omelette du fromage into coca-cola cheese burgers.

But yeah, it's generally good for solid information about the characters. Have all 48 volumes been released in English? I really hate reading scanlations on a computer/cellphone screen ~ and Japanese tanks are retardedly small & micro-sized. Would be pretty cool if Viz picked up the license and released it Black Lagoon style, in super awesome Viz Signature Series 8.25x5.75-inch tankoubons ~ cause Jap manga sizes are mega-retarded small.

Initial D doesn't suck, it's just that the manga's Jap & international releases have always been shcrap. If Viz released Initial D on their Signature line with 8.5x6.0-inch tanks... that shit would sell faster than IHOP pancakes, and I'd buy every single one of the 50-something Initial D volumes by Shiggy-sensei. But that's a-whole-nother discussion regarding manga releases. happy.gif
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 9 2016, 12:26 PM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (xiao @ 37 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
I agree, there's much work to be done; but it's good they got their names down at least. Just like danbooru, I don't particularly go out of my way to work on wiki's, cause it's generally time consuming ~ but if I find something of interest to me that's missing, I make a quick edit & update that information.

Rain's working on a French Initial D wiki for a school-project. Besides him, I really don't know of anyone that's consumed the manga+anime inside & out. Hopefully once Rain's done with the core of the French wiki, some of that info can carry over to the pre-established Initial D wiki. I'm natively-fluent in Canadian, so I can just plug the info into the old wiki from omelette du fromage into coca-cola cheese burgers.

But yeah, it's generally good for solid information about the characters. Have all 48 volumes been released in English? I really hate reading scanlations on a computer/cellphone screen ~ and Japanese tanks are retardedly small & micro-sized. Would be pretty cool if Viz picked up the license and released it Black Lagoon style, in super awesome Viz Signature Series 8.25x5.75-inch tankoubons ~ cause Jap manga sizes are mega-retarded small.

Initial D doesn't suck, it's just that the manga's Jap & international releases have always been shcrap. If Viz released Initial D on their Signature line with 8.5x6.0-inch tanks... that shit would sell faster than IHOP pancakes, and I'd buy every single one of the 50-something Initial D volumes by Shiggy-sensei. But that's a-whole-nother discussion regarding manga releases. happy.gif

The US version of the manga only stopped at Vol 33, Vol. 34 was not released. That's because Kodansha decided to cut ties with Tokyopop around 2009 I think, I guess Kodansha realized Tokyopop screwed up the changes. What strange is that after Funimation picked up the license, the manga was never restarted or re-translated. If it was restarted with all the characters' names reverted, I'm gonna say Kodansha Comics would be the one who's distributing the remaining volumes. But that'll be in my head, all we got for the remaining volumes are scanlations.

But even though Funimation owns the license, they haven't dubbed Fifth Stage nor the New Initial D movies.

This post has been edited by Eternal Firebird on Aug 9 2016, 12:30 PM
Tessou
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 08:26 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 8 hours, 0 minutes ago)
The US version of the manga only stopped at Vol 33, Vol. 34 was not released. That's because Kodansha decided to cut ties with Tokyopop around 2009 I think, I guess Kodansha realized Tokyopop screwed up the changes. What strange is that after Funimation picked up the license, the manga was never restarted or re-translated. If it was restarted with all the characters' names reverted, I'm gonna say Kodansha Comics would be the one who's distributing the remaining volumes. But that'll be in my head, all we got for the remaining volumes are scanlations.

But even though Funimation owns the license, they haven't dubbed Fifth Stage nor the New Initial D movies.

Kodansha never stated why they allowed Tokyopop's licenses to expire. It wasn't just Initial D, either. A lot of hot sellers were discontinued. As this was happening, Kodansha was licensing other titles to Del Ray and Dark Horse, while completely dropping licensing for others. Initial D didn't get picked up, possibly because nobody wanted to try and maintain Tokyopop's odd continuity.

Funimation has stated that the Initial D anime release didn't make a lot of money, and almost certainly won't pursue the last two seasons due to the financial risk. The reception of the movies is also possibly a factor in the lack of it being licensed here.
xiao
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 02:35 AM

moon bunny

Tess is right on the mark. Every time I've heard Funimation reps talk about Initial D they scoff & sigh before reluctantly saying that the franchise was a huge financial flop. They've been successful at rescuing fledgling licenses, like One Piece from 4-Kids, and turn a chunky-monkey-profit from the uncensored versions. That's the sort of turn-over success Funimation was expecting from Initial D with double-crossed fingers. The thing is... a Funi-rep said it best in an old Anime News Network podcast:

"People associate Initial D with Fast & Furious. That's fine and dandy but... people that like Fast & Furious aren't particularly anime-people per se; and anime-people for the most part aren't car-people, let alone F&F-people."

That's why Initial D flopped in a market where newcomers are looking for moe-moe Tits & Ass on Titan ~ and old-schoolers are looking for Macross Bebop vs. Giant Robo. Initial D is super-niche even among the already niche-genre of entertainment we call anime/manga. The only thing niche'er than Initial D is... straight up Comiket Pornjinshi & Bible Black.

I lost all realistic hopes for the anime. But I still entertain the idea that some crazy mofo'king editor at Viz has a midlife-crisis & shoots his load all over an Initial D Viz Signature release. I haven't read the TokyoPop edition but the only good thing about Japanese manga is the dust-cover jacket... otherwise Jap-mang is uber-retarded-small with brownish low-quality paper. Viz's Signature line-up is treated like the princes of the manga'verse those titles deserve to be. I can't image how good a Signature Series would look if Viz recuse Initial D from the limbo Funimation currently has it in.

Look at how good Viz Signature treats manga

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5376 x 3024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Eternal Firebird
  Posted: Aug 10 2016, 05:52 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (xiao @ 3 hours, 13 minutes ago)
Tess is right on the mark. Every time I've heard Funimation reps talk about Initial D they scoff & sigh before reluctantly saying that the franchise was a huge financial flop. They've been successful at rescuing fledgling licenses, like One Piece from 4-Kids, and turn a chunky-monkey-profit from the uncensored versions. That's the sort of turn-over success Funimation was expecting from Initial D with double-crossed fingers. The thing is... a Funi-rep said it best in an old Anime News Network podcast:

"People associate Initial D with Fast & Furious. That's fine and dandy but... people that like Fast & Furious aren't particularly anime-people per se; and anime-people for the most part aren't car-people, let alone F&F-people."

That's why Initial D flopped in a market where newcomers are looking for moe-moe Tits & Ass on Titan ~ and old-schoolers are looking for Macross Bebop vs. Giant Robo. Initial D is super-niche even among the already niche-genre of entertainment we call anime/manga. The only thing niche'er than Initial D is... straight up Comiket Pornjinshi & Bible Black.

I lost all realistic hopes for the anime. But I still entertain the idea that some crazy mofo'king editor at Viz has a midlife-crisis & shoots his load all over an Initial D Viz Signature release. I haven't read the TokyoPop edition but the only good thing about Japanese manga is the dust-cover jacket... otherwise Jap-mang is uber-retarded-small with brownish low-quality paper. Viz's Signature line-up is treated like the princes of the manga'verse those titles deserve to be. I can't image how good a Signature Series would look if Viz recuse Initial D from the limbo Funimation currently has it in.

Look at how good Viz Signature treats manga ¨

http://imgur.com/jo0O68S.jpg

So Funimation, the guys who brought the Dragon Ball Z anime, says Initial D is a flop? facepalm.gif If Funimation are being crap to the license, ok then, which explains why they haven't made up their mind on dubbing Fifth Stage and New Initial D, as for the manga, Viz Media should've continued the manga but with the original names reverted back and the other volumes re-released with a better translation.

Someone really needs to make a petition to make Funimation dub Fifth Stage and the New Initial D movies.
xiao
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 09:32 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 3 hours, 19 minutes ago)
So Funimation, the guys who brought the Dragon Ball Z anime, says Initial D is a flop?  facepalm.gif  If Funimation are being crap to the license, ok then, which explains why they haven't made up their mind on dubbing Fifth Stage and New Initial D, as for the manga, Viz Media should've continued the manga but with the original names reverted back and the other volumes re-released with a better translation.

Someone really needs to make a petition to make Funimation dub Fifth Stage and the New Initial D movies.

Yeps yeps, it's gonna take a miracle at this point cause it's not like Funimation forgot about Initial D ~ they just don't know what to do with it ~ cause 4th Stage didn't hit the numbers they were expecting to sell. I really do hope Viz picks up the manga in their Signature line. Next time you're at Barnes & Noble lightly go through a volume of Black Lagoon or Terra Formars, both Viz Signature manga titles, and you'll see how nice those books are ~ I betcha they could out-quality TokyoPop's old version too! happy.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 10 2016, 09:58 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Eternal Firebird @ 4 hours, 6 minutes ago)
So Funimation, the guys who brought the Dragon Ball Z anime, says Initial D is a flop? facepalm.gif If Funimation are being crap to the license, ok then, which explains why they haven't made up their mind on dubbing Fifth Stage and New Initial D, as for the manga, Viz Media should've continued the manga but with the original names reverted back and the other volumes re-released with a better translation.

I'm sorry, are you insinuating that DBZ is a flop? Are you quite serious, mate? laugh2.gif

Good luck with that petition to 'force' FUNimation to do anything. Unless it comes with a crowdfunding campaign attached to show them that you're consumers by definition (have the desire and the means to procure the desired good) it's not gonna do jack shit.

3 Pages  1 2 3