Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 19 unique listeners, playing move - Break In2 the Nite (Dave Rodgers Remix)

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 7,435  ·  Replies: 82 
> best reason to not remove air condition?
Shale
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 02:47 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,861

LMAO!!

The pretty pictures do a better job of explaining biggrin.gif

Basically - Earth isn't like a spinning top, it's on a crazy-mofo angle in relation to the sun. So it's spinning on its side, circling the sun. Basically, it takes the Earth 1 day (24 hours) to complete one 'spin', and 365 days to haul its arse once around the sun.

So when it's at one point around the sun, the top is going to be, say, pointing towards the sun. It's summer at the top - which is the Northern hemisphere, where America, Russia, Europe etc etc is at. So it hauls arse around to the other side after 6 months, and the top is facing away from the sun. It's now summer down south, because the north is facing away - the bottom of the Earth is pointing at the sun.

smile.gif

That is also why the model globes in libraries and on teachers' desks are always on that same strange angle, instead of straight up and down.
MattW
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 03:50 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

The fact he's over the age of 21 and doesn't know that is quite sad, no offense.
backalleyracer
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 04:22 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

I think someone seriously took over his account and now someone else is posting, lots of his posts seem very...uneducated and misinformed as of late
Shale
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 05:55 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Who knows. Remember the answer we got when someone asked a pageant queen why one fifth of Americans can't locate the US on a globe? blink.gif It's amazing how seemingly intelligent people can lack the basics, and simply be able to work out the more challenging stuff without. (Just imagine how clever they'd be if they'd been TAUGHT the basics...you can thank your education system for that pinch2.gif)
backalleyracer
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 07:35 PM

IDW Goldmember

she obviously choked during that and couldn't come up with a suitable answer, using that to compare to the US educational system is not a reliable source, because I am sure i can find someone who fell into the same situation on television within your country if i truly wished to

besides that, everyone knows, you can either have book smarts or street smarts, I like to think of myself as a happy median, but, that's through my own research and experiences
Spaz
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 08:51 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ Today at 6:22 PM)
I think someone seriously took over his account and now someone else is posting, lots of his posts seem very...uneducated and misinformed as of late

Maybe the rest of us are getting smarter?

I have to say, I've noticed a few members going downhill as of late. Maybe it's the semester break killing off brain cells?
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
The Stig
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 08:58 PM

Srsly I'm the Stig?

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (Midnight Drifter @ Today at 1:54 PM)
The only place I could imagine needing A/C would be either Arizona or South Texas... where temperatures can push well into the 110's and sometimes break 120. unsure.gif

Obviously you haven't been to parts of California where temperatures break 105 on average.
Shale
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 09:04 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Happy medium even?

My point was about the first - that 1 in 5 US citizens can't find their country on the globe. There have been similar little studies, quizzes, whatever you wish to call them, where people have been interviewed along the same lines. Some people believed that America was on one planet, and that the rest of the world was on another, and that plane flights went between those two planets. A small handful thought the world was flat. Others believed that the US was at the centre (?) of the world, and everything else lay around it (on a sphere??).

It's sad, considering America occupies a vast, vast quantity of land. Their population makes up 5% of the world's population, too, which is a significant portion - and worth knowing.

You can't trust a beauty queen to spill a particularly intelligent answer to a question other than 'what do you want most?' [to which the correct answer is 'world peace!']; but it does raise questions about the education everyone else is getting.

As a country that produces some of the world's most brilliant and most stupid minds, there ought to be a system in place that can nurture those brilliant minds into fruition, and provide the lacking with the means to live independent, healthy, fulfilling lives.

After all, we need clever, well-educated people to keep us developing. And those who lack smarts are often extremely good with their hands, or very creative; it's been shown here that kids that've been born with foetal alcohol poisoning, drug poisoning, or suffered brain damage as children, or were otherwise born less fortunate than us in that regard, can be easily taught in the hands-on fields and hold jobs that they enjoy and are good at.

A good education system is the backbone of both tail ends of the graph being successful.

However, I fully agree with you; you can have book smarts or street smarts, and either one is dependent on experience (that being trial and error, trial and success).

And in regards to this country's education system...it's no better these days. We used to have an internationally-acclaimed Bursary system that attracted international students like flies to a cake, but the last government ditched it in favour for tall poppy syndrome; now there are kids that can't spell - hell they can't even READ - and all they learn in some areas is how to be violent, and what you can throw at a teacher to make them bleed. However, there are systems coming into place that are picking out those that are struggling - dropouts, failing students, troublemakers - and finding out what they're good at, inspiring them, teaching them, giving them hope for the future. They're coming out of this knowing not to bash their kids, knowing how to earn and save money, knowing how to locate NZ on the globe, learning foreign languages... these are the kids that could have been yet more welfare bludgers, sitting around on their backsides with 15 kids and beating the crap out of them, sucking the system dry.

Too many people have been left behind - heck, we get interesting statements showing up online all the time that make you smack your head in despair (www.notalwaysright.com is a good place to lurk, as is failblog.org) - but it's not to say that these people can't be collected from behind and brought to the fore, right? smile.gif You can't deny it, a lot of people can't find their own arse...nothing they can't be taught how to do, however.
backalleyracer
Posted: Jan 11 2009, 02:45 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Xcert @ Yesterday at 8:58 PM)
Obviously you haven't been to parts of California where temperatures break 105 on average.

hasnt been to vegas anytime either

but to repost to shale, I am glad that you are not completely bias in your opinions, and I know and agree that education should be the most important thing to work on right below health care in a country, and I know this all to well as I have been working in the educational field for over 5 years now ( well sorta )

I have seen some of the brightest....and some of the most challenged children this side of our country, and I can say, at least most children are in the middle
Shale
Posted: Jan 11 2009, 02:50 AM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ Today at 11:45 PM)
hasnt been to vegas anytime either

but to repost to shale, I am glad that you are not completely bias in your opinions, and I know and agree that education should be the most important thing to work on right below health care in a country, and I know this all to well as I have been working in the educational field for over 5 years now ( well sorta )

I have seen some of the brightest....and some of the most challenged children this side of our country, and I can say, at least most children are in the middle

Of course I'm not COMPLETELY biased (just mostly wink2.gif); there's good and bad in everything, right?

Education is the ONE thing that can reach inside a child and bring the best out of them, whatever that may be. And that includes teaching them the basic sh!t. Not every country gets it right - certainly these two have got it WRONG for the most part - but eh, there's room for improvement everywhere. Lol.

I'm less biased and more super-duper CYNICAL when it comes to most things wink2.gif
DreadAngel
Posted: Jan 11 2009, 05:39 AM

恐怖の天使

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,183

QUOTE (Shale @ Yesterday at 5:59 PM)
^ LOL. Yeah, bit of a geography lesson - always the opposite on the other side of the world. When we have night, you have day. When we have autumn, you have spring. It's currently summer and pushing nearly 30 degrees up north. REALLY FRIGGEN WANTED AC driving up to Cape Reinga and having a tutu around these last few days, it's been absolutely sweltering with four people in the ol' Impreza.

What's it been in Aus? Pushed the 42 degrees have-to-go-home-from-school temps yet? biggrin.gif

We've had 38 degrees so far... and its said to be worse this week... I don't want to know the temps in NT or WA...

I feel your pain Western and Northern siblings =|

I tried for about 3 minutes without A/C going in the car then windows magically zoomed up and A/C came on =P

There is no way I'm gonna throw out A/C in Australia LOL
MetalMan777
Posted: Apr 13 2009, 08:16 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

user posted image
Who needs AC anyway?
RC0310
Posted: Apr 25 2009, 02:39 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 32,708

most of the time.. because of the gf smile.gif
Shirogane
Posted: Apr 25 2009, 10:45 AM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 13 2009, 09:16 AM)
user posted image
Who needs AC anyway?

Then you have definitely never visited places like the West Coast. wink2.gif

The only times I need my A/C is when it starts going up.... And if my goddamn back is stuck to my seat in heat (Happened with the Legend once, holy sh** it was PAIN.)
Godot
Posted: May 5 2009, 02:26 PM

Aka FC3SSavannaIII

Member No.: 17,363

i would keep A/C cause last time i took my driving test for my license. IT WAS FREAKEN HOT!. try sitting in the sun in the So Cal Summer's 100+ F degrees in the car with A/C that ran outta refrigerant. i sat in the car for freaken 2 hours waiting for the damn instructor. and wearing black clothes on top of that(didnt know the weather of that day.) i nearly thought i was in a damn sauna because i was sweating so much =X. rolling down the windows didnt help much when we got a phenomenon called the santa anna winds that makes it even more hot.

well back on topic...
i would keep the AC to keep the passengers happy otherwise a argument pursues.

This post has been edited by FC3SSavannaIII on May 5 2009, 02:30 PM
MetalMan777
Posted: May 6 2009, 05:37 AM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (JZX100 @ Apr 25 2009, 10:45 AM)
Then you have definitely never visited places like the West Coast. wink2.gif

The only times I need my A/C is when it starts going up.... And if my goddamn back is stuck to my seat in heat (Happened with the Legend once, holy sh** it was PAIN.)

Have visited, actually. It's a pretty nice place, Vancouver's my favorite city on that coast. Honestly, though AC's one of those personal preferences. It's a lot easier to live without AC in your car if you don't have it at home.
Shirogane
Posted: May 6 2009, 05:58 AM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Cactus @ 21 minutes, 57 seconds ago)
Have visited, actually. It's a pretty nice place, Vancouver's my favorite city on that coast. Honestly, though AC's one of those personal preferences. It's a lot easier to live without AC in your car if you don't have it at home.

Actually, where I lived, it went past 90 Degrees. And the fact that removing your A/C here is suicidal.
MetalMan777
Posted: May 6 2009, 07:39 AM

Snooping as usual

Heh, we get above 90 here in Ohio. My first car didn't have AC. Well, it needed a recharge, so it gave you the illusion of AC. There's just something about the wind in your hair that's so much more appealing than AC.
Spaz
Posted: May 6 2009, 10:17 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Cactus @ 2 hours, 37 minutes ago)
Heh, we get above 90 here in Ohio. My first car didn't have AC. Well, it needed a recharge, so it gave you the illusion of AC. There's just something about the wind in your hair that's so much more appealing than AC.

Agreed, I've been doing a lot of driving with the windows all the way down lately. Couldn't do it before with my long hair, and I'm definitely enjoying it a lot. The unfortunate thing is that it's contributing to my blowing out of the passenger side tweeter speaker, what with having to turn up the music that much more on the highway.
sideways
Posted: May 7 2009, 05:49 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE (Cactus @ Yesterday, 8:39 AM)
Well, it needed a recharge, so it gave you the illusion of AC. There's just something about the wind in your hair that's so much more appealing than AC.

I just dont see the appeal in comparison. Now Ill admit, wind in my hair who not is -awesome- on days when the weather is nice. But when its 100 or even 90? Give me AC any day. All opening the window does at those temps is blast 90 degree air on me. Slice it however you want, thats never appealing.
wanderer259
Posted: May 7 2009, 08:20 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 24,277

QUOTE (sideways @ 2 hours, 31 minutes ago)
I just dont see the appeal in comparison. Now Ill admit, wind in my hair who not is -awesome- on days when the weather is nice. But when its 100 or even 90? Give me AC any day. All opening the window does at those temps is blast 90 degree air on me. Slice it however you want, thats never appealing.

Well, I can understand where your coming from, but it's not that bad when you have a sun or moon roof with all of your windows down! There really is no other feeling when your driving at 12:00 AM, midsummer with a cool breeze blowing in your face.
JaeMok
Posted: May 7 2009, 09:40 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 32,771

In California, we don't believe in "12:00 PM(AM is morning), midsummer with a cool breeze blowing in your face," there is only AC, or the burning wind striking your face. But thats just during those particular summer days.
wanderer259
Posted: May 8 2009, 06:42 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 24,277

I hate to get off topic JaeMok, but while Am is morning, 12PM would be during the day. 12AM would be at night. But I would have to say you are right. While in the northeast we do get 90+ temperatures, we usually have cool breezes and don't have to put with alot of humidity, as long as it hasn't rained too much.
sideways
Posted: May 9 2009, 01:42 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Like stated, we dont always get the options of "cool breezes". Itd be entirely different if we did. In vegas its the worst (ok, maybe not THE worst). I can recall times when I was leaving to work during summer itd still be 90+ at 9pm on my way to work :| Roll the windows down and its like satans asshole is saying hello.
JaeMok
Posted: May 9 2009, 09:46 AM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 32,771

QUOTE (wanderer259 @ Yesterday, 6:42 PM)
I hate to get off topic JaeMok, but while Am is morning, 12PM would be during the day. 12AM would be at night. But I would have to say you are right. While in the northeast we do get 90+ temperatures, we usually have cool breezes and don't have to put with alot of humidity, as long as it hasn't rained too much.

Wait so were you referring to driving at midnight? Or mid-day?

4 Pages  1 2 3 4