Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Leslie Parrish - KILLING MY LOVE

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

9 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 17,370  ·  Replies: 223 
> IDWs 1st Official Too-Gay for the Touge Track Day, Gauging interest

Will you be showing up?!
Yes, Intending to race [ 9 ]  [40.91%]
Yes, Intending to spectate [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
No, Why the heck would I want to go to this awesome venue? [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
The choices are too confusing [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
sideways
  Posted on Sep 25 2013, 04:48 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

Dont see anything that says you cant drive in another country?
SgtXDNX
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 05:18 AM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

QUOTE (RACV Website)
In addition, IDPs (International Driving Permits) cannot be issued to holders of Learner Permits Licences or other limited/restricted use licences, issued under the directive of a State Court of Law.

Technically, P plates are a limited/restricted licence. sad.gif

This post has been edited by SgtXDNX on Sep 25 2013, 05:19 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RedsunsF1
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 06:25 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

QUOTE (Vile @ 8 hours, 53 minutes ago)
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Although I'm not entirely convinced on which pads to get.

Hawk HPS would be fine. I would recommend HP+ but they're super loud, if you just show up at the track we can change them out when you arrive and put your daily ones back on by the end of the day.
sideways
  Posted on Sep 25 2013, 02:09 PM

QUOTE (SgtXDNX @ 8 hours, 50 minutes ago)
QUOTE (RACV Website)
In addition, IDPs (International Driving Permits) cannot be issued to holders of Learner Permits Licences or other limited/restricted use licences, issued under the directive of a State Court of Law.

Technically, P plates are a limited/restricted licence. sad.gif

Depending on the state you dont need an IDP. I think you dont need one in california until youre there for 90+ days.

Check in the CA website vs aussies smile.gif

This post has been edited by sideways on Sep 25 2013, 02:10 PM
Vile
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 02:21 PM

IDW's Furfag

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,586

Thanks to all of you guys for the pad recommendations! Especially your advice sideways! cool.gif
So yup I pulled the trigger on the HPS.

MetalMan777
Posted on Sep 25 2013, 03:50 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Vile @ Today, 12:32 AM)
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Although I'm not entirely convinced on which pads to get. I would like a pad that works wonder for daily driving and occasional track/auto crossing. I have a feeling that's impossible to achieve but I guess I could just replace the pads the night before an event or right before I race.

So metalman777, you're saying ceramics sacrificed brake performance for the quietness and non asbestos dust???

Unless you're buying from Russia or South Africa, you can't get brake pads with asbestos in them. Yeah though, ceramics are essentially pre-glazed brake pads. They work great if you're just going to work, and your only goal is to not replace them for several years, but they're trash if you want to put any heat in them. Get one of the more mild but still high performance pads (Hawk HPS, Porterfield R4-S, Axxis XBG/PBR Metal Master.) This is a go kart track, not an f1 circuit. Don't bother changing them for this, if you get one of the ones I recommended or similar. You'll know if you need more pad after the event, but I doubt it.

I've faded Metal Masters to hell, and actually I've faded BMW-M specific OE pads to hell too. They worked better than the Metal Masters, but I guess that's why I run $400 race pads now.
RalliKai
Posted on Sep 26 2013, 05:28 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

Not sure I'll be able to go to this due to scheduling and if I did, would have to bring a rental. The track looks good though.
Spaz
Posted on Sep 26 2013, 08:31 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

RENTAL RACES
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Rudy
Posted on Sep 26 2013, 10:46 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
case
Posted on Sep 26 2013, 12:28 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 2,933

Highly doubting the FC's readiness for December, marked myself there as a spectator.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted on Sep 26 2013, 02:02 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Oh thank goodness case! I thought I was the only one who voted to spectate. At least I'm not alone anymore. derp.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
sideways
  Posted on Sep 26 2013, 10:46 PM

Update

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE
user posted image

(Try NOT saying that in your head with the professors voice!)

I've heard back from them at the track! And it sounds like theyre open to/willing to work with us on a few things. Ive made requests to run the full length of the track with the extra chicanes along the way- Theyre cool with that and would like to help us enjoy a group meet! They've also stated theyre going to work with us on a group pricing and cheaper prices for multiple sessions, but itll depend on how many of us show up to drive so well contact them again closer to December to work out some deals once we have abetter idea of how many will be showing up.

Very awesome indeed.
OkamiWind
Posted on Sep 26 2013, 10:55 PM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,468

...Gosh dangit now I WANT to go, but I have god *beeping* finals. ARGH SCHOOL WHY U ON FUN DAY?!

I mean if I can I WILL go but...yeah finals.
sideways
  Posted on Sep 27 2013, 12:04 AM

Are you worried about having to study for the finals, or do you have actual classes going on at the time of the event? If youre just worried about having to study at the time- Keep in mind that the event doesnt even start until 6pm. Youre in riverside already- You could always just swing by for at least a couple of hours just to say hi for a meet/greet before going back to cramming for the evening/night.

If you have actual classes going on at the time, well thats different lol
Vile
Posted on Sep 27 2013, 10:03 PM

IDW's Furfag

Member No.: 30,586

QUOTE (OkamiWind @ Yesterday, 11:55 PM)
...Gosh dangit now I WANT to go, but I have god *beeping* finals. ARGH SCHOOL WHY U ON FUN DAY?!

I mean if I can I WILL go but...yeah finals.

Aww damn, hope things will work out for you when the time comes. Well probably not with the finals...

Hell yeah, that is indeed hell of a good news sideways! The more turns the merrier and come on peeps, we got to take the opportunity with a possibility of a good deal that the venue is offering to us.
sideways
  Posted on Sep 27 2013, 10:23 PM

Im still trying to get clarification on what a "Session" actually is. I've seen some say things that lead me to believe a session got you x-amount of time on the track, but some have said things that are making me wonder if a session just gets you a x-amount of laps instead. Id strongly prefer x-amount of time on the track, because I feel thatd make it easier to accommodate ride alongs; ie Go out for a little with person 1, come back, pick someone else up, go back out on the same session, wash rinse and repeat. If its a case of you only get a few laps per actual "session" it might be difficult (or more specifically, expensive) to give a lot of ride alongs to everyone. So heres hoping. Ive already shot another email to them asking for clarification on how the sessions actually work.

Maybe we could drum up enough cash to just rent the course for an hour or two as do as we please tongue.gif
OkamiWind
Posted on Sep 27 2013, 10:48 PM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

QUOTE (sideways @ Today, 12:04 AM)
Are you worried about having to study for the finals, or do you have actual classes going on at the time of the event? If youre just worried about having to study at the time- Keep in mind that the event doesnt even start until 6pm. Youre in riverside already- You could always just swing by for at least a couple of hours just to say hi for a meet/greet before going back to cramming for the evening/night.

If you have actual classes going on at the time, well thats different lol

Well it's actually that I COULD use that day to study...and now that I think about it all the papers and stuff aren't due on the final day...

Maybe it will work out, I only have a math final that day and I should be there no longer then 4PM.
sideways
  Posted on Sep 28 2013, 11:45 PM

Well that sounds like a date to me tongue.gif Get to it! That mean Im going to toss your name on the attendee list?
OkamiWind
Posted on Sep 28 2013, 11:58 PM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

Eh...put me on the list but be ready to remove it if necessary.

I'll do my best to be there but I don't guarentee it.
TranceKitsune
Posted on Oct 2 2013, 03:48 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 42,103

Add me to the spectator list! I may race but that all depends if I buy the necessary support mods by that time. Hopefully I get them for my birthday. laugh2.gif I can't wait for this now! The weather is going to be awesome!
sideways
  Posted on Oct 3 2013, 01:05 AM

QUOTE (TranceKitsune @ 9 hours, 16 minutes ago)
Add me to the spectator list! I may race but that all depends if I buy the necessary support mods by that time. Hopefully I get them for my birthday. laugh2.gif I can't wait for this now! The weather is going to be awesome!

Fricken sweet! Good man!

What "support" mods do you feel are necessary?
TranceKitsune
Posted on Oct 3 2013, 11:56 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (sideways @ Today, 1:05 AM)
Fricken sweet! Good man!

What "support" mods do you feel are necessary?

Slotted rotors, rear sway bar and strut bars! I don't think my current stock rotors would do so well on a track like that. It's either I risk encountering an issue or...I just "Cruise" the track to be safe. derp.gif
JKaiba
Posted on Oct 3 2013, 01:37 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

I'll honestly probably be cruising the track for 80% of my time there. There's nothing wrong with doing that if you're learning or don't have 100% confidence in your set up.
TranceKitsune
Posted on Oct 3 2013, 01:58 PM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (JKaiba @ 20 minutes, 48 seconds ago)
I'll honestly probably be cruising the track for 80% of my time there. There's nothing wrong with doing that if you're learning or don't have 100% confidence in your set up.

Sweet deal. I have never driven on a track before and that was another reason why I was a bit worrysome. Your reply made me feel much better JKaiba! I'll be on the track then! happy.gif
sideways
  Posted on Oct 3 2013, 06:36 PM

QUOTE (TranceKitsune @ 6 hours, 39 minutes ago)
Slotted rotors, rear sway bar and strut bars! I don't think my current stock rotors would do so well on a track like that. It's either I risk encountering an issue or...I just "Cruise" the track to be safe. derp.gif

Actually, fwiw, your factory "blanks" would actually be better than slotted rotors on the track smile.gif. Blanks are the best for choice for racing (unless were into exotic materials like higher end race cars use, but im assuming were not talking about these lol) most of the time.

Blanks keep/maintain more surface area contact with the pads, assisting in heat transfer (And really thats all brakes do, convert the momentum of a car into heat, which is then dissipated into the air). And since blanks also have more physical metal to them, they have a higher thermal capacity than slotted or drilled rotors. More thermal capacity = good.

The biggest advantage to slotted rotors imo is if youre having trouble glazing up your pads. Slotted rotors are pretty harsh on pads and eat through them quicker. If your rotors are glazing up they can help cut through the glaze and keep fresh pad on the rotor. Of course a glazed pad means youve overcooked yoru pad, which isnt ideal, BUT a pad thats been overcooked and had the surface of glaze remove is better than not.

Strut bars would also be a pretty minimal mod. Id be pretty impressed if you saw them drop even a tenth of a second off your lap times. With a car as rigid as the 3kgt/stealth id actually be surprised if you could even tell when they were off/on, especially with the relatively low speeds well be hitting on this track. Not that theyd be "bad" to have mind you! I just wouldnt hold off on some track fun because you didnt have them.

Now sway bars would make a noticeable difference in "how" your car handles. Though theyre unlikely to alter the lap times the vehicle is "capable" of, they will alter what your car does around a corner which might make you feel more comfortable driving it letting you be a faster driver. But again not something id say is worth skipping out on some track time for wink2.gif

J beat me to the biggest point though. You dont have to go 110% around the track, nor should you feel obligated to! Especially if this is your first time on a track and youre still learning how to drive your car. I promise youll find that mods like that arent important enough to miss out on some track time if you actually really want some track time. The 20 bucks youll spend on a session of seat time will do far more for your speed around a track than the hundreds youll spend on those mods.

So can I officially add you to the drivers list w00t2.gif?

This post has been edited by sideways on Oct 3 2013, 06:41 PM

9 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »