Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing B-East - Super Eurobeat Presents Non Stop Re-Mix [Project.D Ver.]

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 5,877  ·  Replies: 34 
> You get that feeling when...., Your WHOLE ENTIRE BRAKE SYSTEM dies.

What do you do?
Get it fixed [ 27 ]  [72.97%]
Take a brick and use your only brake as the E-brake [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Other [ 5 ]  [13.51%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Shirogane
  Posted on Aug 20 2007, 02:11 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,722

When the first day I saw the 'Teg, me and my dad decided to test drive it, I thought that the e-brake was engaged, so when I grabbed the handle, it was loose. I pull it up to see if there's any resistance.....

Halfway there......

None.

So my dad decided to take a look at the brakes, turns out that the brake pads were worn down like sh*t, and the rear brake calipers are dead, which explains why.

So what do you guys do when the e-brake is useless?

This post has been edited by JZX100 on Jun 19 2009, 08:19 PM
backalleyracer
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 02:33 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

put it in gear

i have quite a few friends with hydralic e brakes, so the e brake is useless when parking
Möbius
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 02:36 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Put it in gear, and turn wheel to curb. wink2.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Inygknok
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 02:45 PM

Changed your title, Biatch!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,823

I do just like Apex Carver does until I fix it the following weekend.
Sweeper
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 04:07 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 2,798

I fix it, usually easy on my Volvo though, adjuster is in the backseat through the ashtray there and it has a separate drum that is only used for the ebrake mounted at the center of the rear disc brakes, quite a handy system actually, while I hate drum brakes when it comes to replacing and fixing you do not need to do it as often when it is only used for handbrake operation.

So if it is a quick job, why bother with alternative solutions?
Möbius
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 04:11 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Sweeper @ Today at 8:07 PM)
I fix it, usually easy on my Volvo though, adjuster is in the backseat through the ashtray there and it has a separate drum that is only used for the ebrake mounted at the center of the rear disc brakes, quite a handy system actually, while I hate drum brakes when it comes to replacing and fixing you do not need to do it as often when it is only used for handbrake operation.

That depends on the car and the problem though. Snapped cable is not easily fixable. wink2.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Shale
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 06:04 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Member No.: 20,861

QUOTE (Inygknok @ Today at 11:45 AM)
I do just like Apex Carver does until I fix it the following weekend.

Man is a genius wink2.gif

I'd do it like that too.
Inygknok
Posted on Aug 20 2007, 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Sweeper @ Today at 7:07 PM)

Adding something more to what Apex said. Some of us have certain responsibilities to attend to first. This isn't a life threatening thing, so it's not a "damn, I must take care of it even if it's at 12am" situation. If I'm free the following day, no matter what needs fixing, I'll take the time for it the following day. But since I'm usually free on weekends, that's why I used that period of time, as a general thing. I'm sure others feel the same about this. Alternative solutions until the following day, or the nearby weekend, work just well.

If anything, I always put the Supra and the Celica into first gear and I turn the wheel if I'm parked at an incline. The Rolla is an auto, but I've never had e-brake problems with it. It's always up to date with those things.

Another thing. On cars with drum brakes at the rear do need regular replacement of the pads. They don't just press on when using the handbrake.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted on Aug 21 2007, 04:28 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

I remember when i got my RS, the handbrake was loose like crazy. i'd just leave it in gear when parked (with wheels positioned so that the car rolls into the curb when parked on uphill or downhill). LOL, but i had it fixed when i took the car in for repairs months later from an unrelated issue.
Shale
Posted on Aug 21 2007, 01:55 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Was it the cable being buggered, Demon, or just needed to set it tighter?

Come to think of it mine’s getting a little on the limp side. Lol. Either I need to tighten it again or show it some pr0n…
Shirogane
  Posted on Aug 30 2007, 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Shale @ Aug 21 2007, 02:55 PM)
Come to think of it mine’s getting a little on the limp side. Lol. Either I need to tighten it again or show it some pr0n…

Damn you Shale, you made me break my jaw by laughing too hard laugh.gif
Shale
Posted on Aug 30 2007, 01:02 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Well, when too lazy to pull the brakes to pieces... wink2.gif
tatyana
Posted on Oct 19 2007, 03:55 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,273

QUOTE (Inygknok @ Aug 20 2007, 06:52 PM)
Another thing. On cars with drum brakes at the rear do need regular replacement of the pads. They don't just press on when using the handbrake.

how often is regular? because i have rear drum brakes & i know nothing about changing them any more than the front ones, which would be when i feel that they are going. how much depends on the time [like, every two years] & how much depends on miles [every so many thousand miles]? i drive about 15 miles a week.
Shirogane
  Posted on Oct 19 2007, 04:11 PM

QUOTE (tatyana @ Today at 4:55 PM)
how often is regular? because i have rear drum brakes & i know nothing about changing them any more than the front ones, which would be when i feel that they are going. how much depends on the time [like, every two years] & how much depends on miles [every so many thousand miles]? i drive about 15 miles a week.

Well, for that....

That's almost close to every 10 miles. laugh.gif
48....49....*SQUEAL!!*
tatyana
Posted on Oct 23 2007, 04:56 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,273

oh, you're a lot of help. i didn't understand your post at all. were you saying it's time to replace them when they squeal? because they squeal when driving in wet weather. after a few hard brakes [and some awesome skids since i don't have abs], it goes away.
sabishii
Posted on Oct 23 2007, 07:06 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 6,362

Uh... buy a different car?
Wheels84ss
Posted on Oct 25 2007, 06:21 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 275

Ahh Feel the love...

Basic rule of thumb on drum brakes... Granted parts and driving style vary from car and person to person but the standard rule is 3 to 1... Or three front brake changes to one rear... Granted this is not set "Oh it always works that way" rule but it's a good guideline/ballpark. Best way of course is to pop the rear wheels off and check the material on the Shoes... (got that annoys me by the way, drum brakes use shoes not pads... disc brakes have pads, why do people always screw that up)

Now the most important question is... What kind of Pr0n does a scoobie like? I mean do you show it Hentai, or big hooters or what? grin2.gif
AntiRellik
Posted on Nov 3 2007, 07:21 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 18,292

The most perfect and easy solution for e-brakes:

user posted image
tofujay
Posted on Nov 3 2007, 09:34 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 25,017

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ Aug 20 2007, 02:36 PM)
Put it in gear, and turn wheel to curb. wink2.gif

exactly thats what i do until i get it fixed biggrin.gif
Inygknok
Posted on Nov 6 2007, 02:49 PM

QUOTE (JZX100 @ Oct 19 2007, 07:11 PM)
Well, for that....

That's almost close to every 10 miles. laugh.gif
48....49....*SQUEAL!!*

Squealing isn't always worn out pads. Squealing frequently occurs due to excess dust, or just having semi (or fully) metallic pads. Do keep in mind that caliper pads also have a very simplistic mechanism so they squeal on purpose in order to warn the driver that the pads may need servicing soon. When pads are worn out, trust me, they don't just squeal. You can hear the disks being chewed on. Ever done a grind on a metal rail with a skateboard? Almost exact sound.

Wheels84ss might have a point. I don't know what's the accepted standard for changing the drums, but I guess a 3:1 ratio is a good one. Can't really measure it in time, since some people drive more in a week than others. Can't really measure it in distance either, since no 2 pads last the exact same amount of use (not even same brands, due to variances in production).
Akira
Posted on Dec 25 2007, 03:00 PM

t3h_n00berer

Member No.: 3,280

I now have almost completely shot rears on my RWD van, this DOES suck. XD

Wondering how long I can leave it, one of these days when parked on a hill my van's gonna roll away.. Not that my front brakes are amazing anyway, so what does everyone think?
zariki
Posted on Jan 26 2008, 07:21 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 27,033

if you like to know what condition is your drums brake pads you must get under your car and see it, all drum brakes have a small hole in inner side to check the conditon of it...Sorry for my english.
Shirogane
  Posted on Jun 19 2009, 08:18 PM

Before I had that problem with the E-brake, now, it's the whole damn thing itself, E-brake still works though. I didn't feel like making a new topic, so this will do, with a brand new title.

I decided to take her out for a spirited drive (And for a moment in S-mode, never used it for a while) out on a local pass, And halfway through, the brakes feel a little more hard and another half distance, both the battery AND the Anti-lock decided to light up.
sad.gif

Permission to say "Aw, Cock." I fear the whole entire system is either on it's last legs or the battery (and alternator) is screwing with it.

It still brakes, it just doesn't brake normally now. sad.gif
MattW
Posted on Jun 19 2009, 08:35 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

Or, you just heated up the brakes, and are experiencing a major case of brake fade.....
Shirogane
  Posted on Jun 19 2009, 08:41 PM

QUOTE (MattW @ 5 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
Or, you just heated up the brakes, and are experiencing a major case of brake fade.....

I never used the brakes too much, IIRC.... sad.gif

2 Pages  1 2