Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Feel a Thrill

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 18,736  ·  Replies: 50 
> [FANFIC] Low Light Demon, Chapter 14: Adrenaline!!
?wha?
  Posted: Jun 8 2008, 06:08 AM

In sexy black'n gold :D

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,914

Nah, Project D will only ever have the same two drivers as they had before. tongue.gif Any other constructive comments before I hit my electrical textbooks for exams? tongue.gif
?wha?
  Posted: Jun 12 2008, 08:45 PM

Another update courtesy of my trusty EEEPC biggrin.gif

Seriously I should be studying for exams but oh well, I already have most of te chapters written up..

Chapter 7: The Beginning of the End

Mt Irohazaka was infamous for its one-way street and the main team that runs it, the Emperors. The group of Evo drivers, led by Sudo Kyouici were feared on the mountain. However, this particular night was reserved for two strangers: a blue MR-S roadster and a simliarly blue WRX. The drivers standing beside their vehicles, indistinguished in the darkness were conversing. “Tonight, we settle this. No more using our kids to finish what we started. One run, down the mountain. Third bridge is the line agreed?” The other figured scoffed, “Tonight will be mine Fujiwara. This is what I've been waiting fifteen years to settle. Prepare yourself!” The drivers retreated to their vehicles, and after twin engines starting in the night, the driver's faces were thrown into relief from the headlights, one of Bunta Fujiwara and that, of Ken Kogashiwa.

~ ~ ~

The clock ticked past 10pm and Takumi was bored. It wasn't an overwhelmingly big deal, as he was usually alone in the house while Bunta was out on his so-called “Chamber of Commerce” meetings. Takumi snorted at the thought; more like Chamber of Drinking meetings. However with the arrival of more members of the family to the house, he would have expected more of a presence. As the clock chimed, he suddenly realised he was expected, there and then to be at the top of Mt Akagi. Cursing, he leapt off the chair, grabbed the keys and shot out the front door towards the 86. Fifteen minutes later he found himself hurtling up Mt Akagi and not a moment later, the spotlights and cars of the Project D crew came into view. As Takumi hopped out of the car, he noticed a black FD parked close to Keisuke's customary yellow FD and as he was wondering why Kyoko would be at a Project D meeting, he felt a smack to the back of his head. “You're late!” exclaimed Keisuke, going in for another blow before Ryosuke did likewise to stop the latter. “I was hoping to call you up to set up Keisuke's FD with us tonight, but since such an excellent person turned up” at this point he gestured towards Kyoko, “This will take precedence. Kyoko, I hope you don't mind me driving your car?” Taken aback, Kyoko merely nodded. “Thank you. Fujiwara, chase me down the mountain. Don't hold back.” Takumi knew better than to disagree with him, and so he got into the 86 again while Ryosuke fired up Kyoko's black FD. Without so much as a warning, Ryosuke shot off in a screech of tyres and burnt rubber in the direction of the downhill leaving Takumi no option but to take off as well.
“Ryosuke seems to be out of his mind at the moment” noted Keisuke to Kyoko once both cars were out of earshot. “I don't know what happened to him, but he doesn't seem to be the normal Aniki he once was... there's something different about him.” Kyoko giggled, “You're one to be making these kinds of observations now?” “Well, Aniki drives his own FC for these kinds of lectures; he doesn't like using other people's cars. For him to be using your car something must be up...”
Before the words were out of his mouth, a blue Starion pulled up into the parking lot and Keisuke froze. Manabe stepped out with a devil's grin on her face as she approached Keisuke, who by this time had turned a rather unhealthy shade of white. “Where's Ryosuke-san gone? I want a race with him!” proclaimed Manabe full of confidence. Sensing that Keisuke would probably throw up if he opened his mouth, Kyoko decided to answer in his stead. “He's off busy at the moment, who are you by the way?” she asked, a curious expression forming on her face with regards to the newcomer. “Oh, I forgot to introduce myself to you! My name is Manabe Fujiwara, a pleasure to meet you.” offering her hand. Kyoko couldn't help but raise her eyebrows, but took it in her stride and shook her hand. “Kyoko Iwase. I assume you've already met Keisuke?” Manabe laughed, sending Keisuke from white to green to red. “Yes I have, and I don't think he'll forget anytime soon as well. Anyway, tell Ryosuke-san thanks for the dinner. I'll pay him back sometime with a good race whenever I see him.” With that she hopped back in the car and drove off. “Y'know what?” muttered Keisuke, after regaining a healthy skin tone, “I guess I can.”

~ ~ ~

The MR-S and the WRX screamed through the first of many hairpin turns which Irohazaka was famous for, the MR-S leading but only just. For the next few after that, the MR-S gradually but very painfully put some more breathing space between the cars. “Obvious choice of cars Ken. Can't imagine you driving anything but a Toyota made MR. Looks like technology has finally caught up to your skills” Bunta noted as they hauled around another turn. This was true, as the snap oversteer of previous generations of MR2s was inherently absent from the last design MR-S in front of him. “Not as slippery as before too, which should make my life a little bit easier.” Meanwhile in the other car, Ken Kogawisha was silently cursing; he was bargaining on the fact that Bunta would pull an FR car, probably an RX-8 for the race and not drive a 4WD for the fact that the latter had superior grip. Not that an MR had very much when going down Irohazaka anyway thought Ken ruefully. Any other driver he would have been overjoyed, but he knew Bunta and knowing his skills he could use it against him. However for the while being it seemed that everything was going to plan, albeit that he was following a bit closer than expected. “Watch closely Bunta, your trick from our last match will be undone tonight!”
Meanwhile Bunta noted that the MR was acting more and more erratic as the hairpins progressed. “He's planning something fishy again.” Bunta started, before the MR took the inside line at suicidal speed, hugging the wall before disappearing around the turn. A metallic crunching signalled the start of the jumping duel, so Bunta obliged and jumped the turn as well. To his shock, the MR was pulling away at an alarming pace between the turns, disappearing around the next turn just after Bunta managed to get a glimpse of the streak of blue. Bunta chuckled, “Ken, looks like you've learnt new tricks, though it won't help you much now.” Ken was smiling now, having put many metres between his bitter rival. Through the next turn, he angled his wheel towards the inside before pulling the handbrake to whip himself around at the last instant, missing crashing into the apex by mere millimetres and jumping the hairpin in the process. “Fujiwara, you don't know how many parts I had to go through, or the pain and suffering to perfect this move, though it will be all worth it to see you grovel before me!” Unknown to him though, Bunta was slowly and silently pulling back the metres behind him as the hairpins neared its end.
Meteor
Posted: Jun 12 2008, 11:02 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

So those two decided to have a second final battle?

And Kogashiwa Ken's at the front, drifting around those corner like a bat out of hell and jumping across hairpins like a hyperactive rabbit! He's got this one for sure-! WOAH! Bunta's catching up! He's catching up! This battle is so close it'll be impossible to tell who'll win until it's over! WOAH! Amazing cornerwork there! And those two are still going strong!

Keisuke and Manabe sure are getting along well laugh.gif tongue.gif

Yay! Kyoko exists in this fic!

MOAR!
snoro
Posted: Jun 18 2008, 06:04 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,765

pwe all want to see more,well atleast me
?wha?
  Posted: Jun 19 2008, 05:00 AM

Should have an update tomorrow (20th AEST).. Anyone know any power electronics and drives? tongue.gif

post your views on my fic so far guys!! Much appreciated biggrin.gif
?wha?
  Posted: Jun 27 2008, 05:30 PM

I'm done with exams, and I'm now playing Super Smash BRAWL!!!!! (mind you it only came out on the 26th here in woopwoop land) and to celebrate, a new chapter! Please leave comments!!

Chapter 8: Lightning can strike twice

In the dying corners of Irohazaka, the WRX had managed to pull back the distance to a straight between hairpins, and as the straights grew steadily longer to signal the imminent end to the turns Bunta started to initiate his counterattack. "Good tactic to use those rally techniques on this course Ken. Never thought you wold have had the balls to pull it off in such a confined space and a fifty foot drop if ever it goes wrong. Then again though you weren't one to go by convention."
Ken on the other hand was too busy focused on putting more distance in what he thought was a successful attempt, until a set of headlights illuminated his rearview mirror. "Crap, this isn't good. Since when was he able to do anything to keep up with my suicide line?” Two more hairpins to the long straight to the goal Bunta managed to pull himself to within a car’s length of the MR-S and when the last hairpin straightened out, Bunta was on the tail of Ken, riding his bumper towards the three bridges.

~ ~ ~

“This is insane!” murmured Takumi in awe, as he tried to keep the black FD in sight. True to his usual teachings, Ryosuke decided to teach Takumi in ways other than words. “This isn’t the way Ryosuke-san drives, it’s too… erratic and unrefined. What does he think he can achieve by driving like this?” However, unrefined and erratic as Takumi found it, he could not continually close the gap on his mentor. By the time both cars reached the bottom, he could only bring the gap down to a couple of car lengths. Ryosuke got out of the car, brushing off some imaginary dust that seemed to have settled on the seat of his pants. “Takumi, remember this lesson I have just given you, as it will be of benefit to you. Also, think back to some of your Saitama races for future battles with Project D. Lets head back up to the top of the mountain, as I don’t think Keisuke would like to be out too late tuning his car.” With Takumi in a confused state, Ryosuke sat back into the FD and started driving back up the hill.

~ ~ ~

The two cars barreled down the final hairpin of Irohazaka, with everything to lose and nearly nothing to gain. Coming out of the turn, Ken became wary of Bunta’s movement behind him. “If I let him take the inside here, I’ll lose out on sheer horsepower, just like how Kai did when he battled Bunta’s son. As long as I keep him behind me until the second bridge I shall not lose!” It was here that Ken lost sight of Bunta; not altogether unexpected but more of an annoyance. The throaty roar of the 2.5L turbocharged Boxer engine pricked up Ken’s left ear.”He’s going for the inside!” Ken moved his car into the hedging on the left, expecting to box out Bunta’s attempt on passing him.
“Got you Ken”
The WRX relit its lights as Ken was boxing off the inside, but Bunta was already making his move, slowly gaining on the outside until he drew level with kogashiwa’s car. “What the hell!?!?” exclaimed Ken as the cars made their way through the first bridge side by side. The second bridge could barely hold the two cars as they went shooting in. As with their sons, both men were grazing each other’s mirrors in an attempt to keep in the race, but as they rounded out of that bridge Ken’s blood froze. His now advantageous inside lane to the third bridge, being close to the cliff was accumulated in leaves, spread out over the best part of the road. As if a twist of fate for the older generation, Ken was forced to make one hefty decision: Take the risk of ruining both cars in an attempt to pass, or let his bitter rival win again and save both their skins.
“DORIYA!!!!!”

Meteor
Posted: Jun 27 2008, 07:55 PM

“DORIYA!!!!!”

What the hell did Ken do?!

MOAR PLZ!
?wha?
  Posted: May 25 2009, 05:55 AM

1 year thread necro!!!

I dug this up when I was cleaning out my old netbook, and I'm going to be finishing this off ASAP. Hope people are still interested smile.gif

-------

Chapter 9: Generation Wars

At the base of Irohazaka, a plume of smoke wafted through the air, one from the blue MR-S of Ken Kogashiwa. The back of the car had been crushed with the impact of having its tail run into the wall twice and it was a wonder that the car did not sustain any heavier damage to the rest of the body.
“Bloody fantastic Ken. I thought I could shake some rust racing you, among other things and in return you wreck my car. Just like old days I guess?” Bunta grumbled as he bent down to inspect the damage on the WRX a few meters in front of the MR-S. The front right wheel had borne the brunt of the impact, destroying the suspension and steering, while the front was dented, headlights smashed.
“Well, it was either I win, or we both lose.”
“Unfortunately for you I’m in front. You lose. The least you could do is lend me your phone, because I need a truck and incidentally, you do to.”
Begrudgingly, Ken held out his phone for Bunta. “Don’t think you’ll get away with this…” Ken began, before Bunta gave him the closed eye death stare. “Just shut up and don’t go holding grudges… Hello Masashi? Its me… two things. I need a tow truck here in Irohazaka and I need you to prepare the other. Thanks.”
“What other?” Ken quizzed Bunta as he took back the phone. “None of your business, unless you feel like paying for my repairs.” Bunta growled menacingly.

~ ~ ~

Everyone had left Mt Akagi, except for the two FDs in the parking lot and the two owners sitting on a bench nearby arguing.
“… so you go behind my back now?? After what you’ve put me through???”
“No! That’s not the case…”
“After what you said to me up here before? Seeing YOUR face when SHE turned up?”
“NO! I swear…”
“WHAT DID YOU SWEAR? THAT YOU CANNOT LOVE SOMEONE BECAUSE OF YOUR RACING? IS THAT IT? IS THAT HOW YOU REPAY ME? IS IT!???!”

At this point Kyoko got up to slap Keisuke, but he was too quick in grabbing her hands and restraining her. Sobbing, she slumped to the ground heaving with all the emotions bottled up since that night right here on top of Mt Akagi. Suddenly, she felt the warm embrace of muscular arms around her which lifted her up to a slightly lopsided standing position.
“I’m sorry for putting you through all this, and I’m wrong for letting it get the better of me. But you are wrong about her mind you,” Keisuke whispered, eye to eye with a still sobbing Kyoko. “She wouldn’t be interested in me, and I would definitely not be interested in her considering she beat me here on Akagi. If anything, she and Aniki have something going on and that’s a good thing. So stop crying OK? I’m not going to let you suffer any longer.”
Kyoko’s tears were still flowing, but they were slowly transitioning from sadness to happiness. “I’m such an idiot for assuming things, and it seems you’re an even bigger idiot for being beaten by another Fujiwara.”
“Oy, don’t remind me again…”

~ ~ ~

The first signs of dawn were lightening the black sky and two men were standing in front of a garage door.
“You aren’t going to be able to race this tonight with the damage its sustained because of Ken you know?” stated Masashi as he peered at the carnage on the wheel and front.
“I know, that’s why I asked you to prepare the other car.” Bunta said as he moved towards the drivers seat of the adjacent vehicle.
“But it hasn’t had its suspension tuned, wheels balanced or camber set, among other things! You can’t possibly think of taking this against Yoko in its current state!” exclaimed Masashi before his eyes were drawn to Bunta in the driver’s seat getting comfortable.
“I know. That’s why we’re doing that now. Hop in, and that’s not a suggestion. We haven’t got much time”
“OK, but let me grab a couple of sick bags…”
Meteor
Posted: May 25 2009, 06:49 AM

“I’m such an idiot for assuming things, and it seems you’re an even bigger idiot for being beaten by another Fujiwara.”
“Oy, don’t remind me again…”

L laugh.gif L Combo X 1
“But it hasn’t had its suspension tuned, wheels balanced or camber set, among other things! You can’t possibly think of taking this against Yoko in its current state!” exclaimed Masashi before his eyes were drawn to Bunta in the driver’s seat getting comfortable.
“I know. That’s why we’re doing that now. Hop in, and that’s not a suggestion. We haven’t got much time”
“OK, but let me grab a couple of sick bags…”

L laugh.gif L Combo X 2

It's great to see this story revived! biggrin.gif And now that I'm not quite as stupid as I previously was, I enjoyed the earlier chapters even more than when I read them for the first time. The latest chapter was a great read as well.

Thank you for entertaining us, and for bringing back some life to General Discussion smile.gif
?wha?
  Posted: May 27 2009, 03:07 AM

yeah it was getting a little quiet in here. Bit of a challenge to start writing again as it's been a year and getting a re-feel of the story is a bit of an effort.

Will prolly post next chapter tomorrow so leave your thoughts!

EDIT: well looks like it'll have to wait because the double posting feature is preventing me from posting within 3 days

This post has been edited by ?wha? on May 28 2009, 04:24 AM
Meteor
Posted: May 28 2009, 05:23 AM

I want the chapter now, so here's something to get rid of the 3-day limit.
?wha?
  Posted: May 28 2009, 05:33 AM

Lol thanks meteor tongue.gif

and MOAR shall be delivered!

---------------------

Chapter 10: A normal day?

10am in the Fujiwara household and Takumi woke with a large yawn, sleepy eyes and slightly drooling mouth. Trudging down the stairs to the living room he ran into Yoko sitting at the table reading the newspaper.
“Good morning dear, have you seen your father? I haven’t seen him come back this morning, though I did see an unusual car on the mountain last night.”
At this point Takumi ran his foot into the table and while swearing he remembered the race on tonight. As the thought came to mind he was hit in the face with Yoko’s newspaper.
“No swearing in the house, or do you want another thrashing? Honestly, how did Bunta raise this boy? Well…” Yoko sat back down sighing, “We’ll see tonight. I hope you have everything in order and the 86 in top spec because you’ll need it.”
“Thanks mum.” growled Takumi as he sloped off to get some breakfast from the fridge.
“By the way, where’s imouto?”
“Come to think of it, she hasn’t been back since last night either. Strange, she doesn’t stay out often.”
“Yeah, and you wonder how dad raised me e-“
*SMACK*

~ ~ ~

Keisuke was pulling into the road leading to the Takahashi residence in a far more satisfactory mental state than he was a few weeks ago. He had sorted out his Kyoko problem, and was looking forward to a nice long shower and sleep the second he opened the automatic garage door and parked his car. He was still daydreaming as the door opened and he started to pull in.
“HOLY SHI~!!! What in the heck??”
Keisuke nearly ran into the front of Manabe’s Starion which was parked smack bang in the middle of the space next to Ryosuke’s FC. “That girl will never cease to give me hell doesn’t she?” muttered Keisuke as he grudgingly parked his FD on the street outside before letting himself in. “Aniki! I’m home! Stop snogging Takumi’s sister and get your lazy ass up! Geez talk about a housewarming party” Keisuke noted at the two quarter bottles of sake, a near empty bottle of Bacardi 151 and two sets of car keys on the table. Grunting with the effort, he flopped onto the nearest couch, only to get straight back up amid a torrent of swearing.
“Goddammit Keisuke watch where the hell you plonk yourself! You nearly twisted my neck off just then!” and the pile of blankets rose up to reveal a decrepit looking Ryosuke. “And to think that 151 would’ve worn off by now… Damn, thanks Keisuke.”
“Anytime Mr Alco, and by the way where’s Miss Fujiwara? I swear the last time I remember you got this smashed in this house was first year Med school with… what’s her name? Anyway, at least it’s nice to see my brother isn’t a eunuch after all.” Keisuke eyed Ryosuke for any sign of blushing, but the blunt force trauma of Keisuke’s rear end and the alcohol from last night meant that his face was red anyway. “She should be sleeping in my room, but since it’s…” Ryosuke glanced at his watch, “Midday I think she may be up. Argh….” and he fell back on the couch.
“Great help you are…” mumbled Keisuke as he turned around to go upstairs before he froze in the doorway.
“Good Morning Keisuke-Chan! Why are you here so late? Oh, Ryosuke let me borrow his freshman jersey to sleep in! Wait… where are you going?”

The last thing Ryosuke heard before dropping back off to sleep was a petrified scream, a slam of the door, the sound of screeching tyres and the wail of a 13B twin turbo howling down the street.

~ ~ ~

“Masashi, I’d appreciate the fact that we have most of the tuning down pat due to your help, but could you please try to minimise the amount of food you eat between tuning parts? I would like to keep this car as clean as possible, unlike the 86, where I don’t think I’ve completely got all your Teriyaki chicken off the floor mat.”
“Well it is 3pm and we did need lunch. Can’t you take it a bit lighter?”
“No, because you and I know what’s at stake here. Now… I think the only thing left to do now is to test it by myself.”
“Thank god for that…”
“We are at the top of Mt Akina you know, and your workshop is at the base.”
“Oh…”
Meteor
Posted: May 28 2009, 06:00 AM

The Fujiwara tofu shop sure isn't very quiet these days tongue.gif

The last thing Ryosuke heard before dropping back off to sleep was a petrified scream, a slam of the door, the sound of screeching tyres and the wail of a 13B twin turbo howling down the street.

Wow, even the sound of someone screaming doesn't wake up the White Comet laugh.gif

Now what exactly happened there?

“Well it is 3pm and we did need lunch. Can’t you take it a bit lighter?”
“No, because you and I know what’s at stake here. Now… I think the only thing left to do now is to test it by myself.”
“Thank god for that…”
“We are at the top of Mt Akina you know, and your workshop is at the base.”
“Oh…”

Poor Masashi laugh.gif

MOAR AWESOMENESS PLZ!

This post has been edited by Meteor on May 28 2009, 06:01 AM
wing_0
Posted: May 29 2009, 09:02 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,095

QUOTE (?wha? @ Jan 24 2008, 03:57 AM)
Seeing as his usual bunny had gone AWOL, he contented himself to harass this newcomer, and floored the gas to glue himself to the Starion's rear bumper.

I quite like this fic, it has potential, but I'd appreciate more descriptions, the only thing I can remember about Manabe's looks is that she's a girl a bit younger than Takumi.

Besides, what's the whole deal with bunnies? laugh.gif
?wha?
  Posted: May 30 2009, 05:14 AM

thanks for the comment tongue.gif will make a mental note to edit on the later chapters.

and bunnies... its a mainly a cricket (sport) term. It means that some bowlers have a favourite batsman they regularly get out, thus being called a bunny. Sorta like bloodhounds going after rabbits. It means that the "bunny" always gets picked on
wing_0
Posted: May 30 2009, 02:00 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,095

I'd be very thankful, descriptions are always nice ;P Thanks for the info on the bunnies, thought it was a mad typo, cricket pretty much doesn't exist in my country, so I didn't know about the term.
?wha?
  Posted: Jun 12 2009, 05:34 AM

Caught up in exams, so Chapter 11 to tide you guys over. Enjoys biggrin.gif

Chapter 11: From a date with destiny

9.30pm at the top of Mt Akina saw a rather large gathering of spectators, eager to see the upcoming race of the two (known) gods of the Akina. The entire crew of Project D, including one still-shellshocked Keisuke, who was cowering in the back of Kyoko’s FD, were tending to three cars of Takumi, Manabe and Yoko. Bunta was still absent which, according to Takumi, was a pity because all of them were getting new tyres in preparation for the race. Manabe was taking the time to chat to Ryosuke, flicking her long, dark hair as she did.

“So, how does Takumi-nii race?” asked Manabe, with one eye on her brother.

“Good try, but you’re not getting anything more out of me than last night. Honestly, for a 19 year old girl, you can sure hold your drink.”

“Boo. Honestly a killjoy. I thought you would’ve at least downed that half bottle of 151 along with that sake. That would’ve made things much more interesting…” at which point she diverted both round eyes at Ryosuke, then into a sadistic gaze to the tuft of bleached hair poking from the black FD.

“That’s the last time I’m drinking and making… what’s that noise?”

A distinct growl was rumbling towards them, a blowoff valve hissing into the night, before a black Subaru WRX STi GDBF loomed over the crest. The distinctive three section wombat nose front end, the large rear spoiler, front intake and 18” gold wheels were eclipsed by the puff of smoke that was emitted from the driver’s side window.
“So… what’d I miss?” asked Bunta

~ ~ ~

Five minutes to ten, Yoko and Bunta made their separate ways to their cars. After explaining (rather brusquely) to everyone that Ken Kogashiwa had trashed his car, Bunta also had a suggestion.

“Yoko, seeing as we have our two brats doing the downhill,” at this point he nodded to Takumi and Manabe, “How about we do uphill and downhill like old days? We run uphill once either of our kids crosses the parking lot, then turn around at the peak and run back down. Much more interesting than seeing those two get it easy.”

Yoko smiled. “Fine by me. Much more interesting.”

Both of them got in their cars and started heading to the carpark at the base of the mountain. Before Bunta took off, he beckoned to Takumi, likewise Yoko and Manabe

“Listen Takumi, I need you to do me two things. First, I want you to give Manabe two seconds after the five hairpins.”

“Wha..? OW!”

“Second thing, try to drive as long as possible without lights. This is Akina, you should know what to do.” And with that he sped off after the white blur of the Evo, leaving a perpetually perplexed Takumi in his wake.

“Takumi! Manabe! Line up your cars!” Ryosuke’s voice rang into the night like a foghorn.

While both of them were strapping into their harnesses and moving towards the start line, Takumi noticed the small fabric Trueno hanging off the ignition key. Impulsively, he held it in his hand as he stopped.

“From a date… with destiny. This is it.”

He clenched the Trueno briefly before releasing it and returning his gaze to the open road ahead, only briefly looking at Manabe, who with long hair tied up, round eyes focused in concentration and all 5’6”, was tensed for a fight to the base. Ryosuke stood between the two cars with walkie-talkie in hand, the pinnacle of 80’s drifting excellence in different forms in front of him. He held the walkie-talkie to his ear, before raising his hand.

“Five seconds until start!”

The sound of a revving 86’s naturally aspirated AE101R coupled with the blowoffs from the Starion’s turbocharged 4G54 roared into the night sky like the guard dogs from hell.

“Four, Three, Two, One… GO”
Meteor
Posted: Jun 15 2009, 09:17 AM

And the race begins. Who'll win?! Takumi?! Manabe?! Either way, I'm expecting a great race, and I'm sure you're going to give us one biggrin.gif

MOAR!
?wha?
  Posted: Jan 20 2010, 05:28 AM

Thread necro for the umpteenth time.

I found this fanfic after cleaning out my damaged hard drive, after having lost what I though was the only copy on my USB AND EeePC. Had to read back to get a feel for the story.

Again, Hope you guys will read it and comment on it. Sanae, I'd also like your opinion on this, as I would assume you wouldn't have seen it before, oh master of fanfic biggrin.gif When I finish it (hopefully, yet probably wishfully) before Chinese New Year I'll prolly upload it bit by bit to Fanfiction.net

Enjoy!

------------------------

Chapter 12: Two seconds of separation?

With a squeal and smell of burning tyres, the Starion and Trueno sped off into the opening straight, the Starion’s turbo providing it the edge to just squeeze in front of the Trueno as they barrelled into the first corner. For all the spectators there, they witnessed something no one their age had seen before… a parallel drift with only a handful of centimetres separating the cars and only the Starion lighting the way with unusable low lights. Inside the Trueno, Takumi had his work cut out trying to keep himself glued to the Starion, while Manabe was having fun trying to outrun her brother.
Through the corners they went, parrying each other’s drifts and gutter runs with sheer suicidal intentions and by now even the wide smile Manabe had on her face was gone, replaced by the intense look and tiny beads of sweat starting to form. After the night of drinking, she was able coax out of Ryosuke how Takumi was susceptible to being thrown off by irregular and unorthodox lines (as he had put it, “he won against a geezer who played with his mind, then hurled at the end to lose) and she had done everything to keep him busy. Takumi wasn’t faring better. He had taken Ryosuke’s advice on the Saitama races, limiting himself to keep up and focus on his own line rather than Manabe’s scrambled approaches and also to maintain his blind attack. One wrong move would send him out… not that that would happen given it was Mt Akina he assured himself.

“Heck, driving without lights at this speed is insane… how fast am I going again?” mused Manabe as they both cleared the S curves, the Trueno still resolutely stuck to her bumper. Thanks again to the turbo, she managed to put about a second between the two cars in the long straight leading to the 5 hairpins.

“Right, keep to the plan. I need one more second out of this” thought Takumi as they prepared to enter the 5 hairpins.

~ ~ ~

“My guess is, Manabe’s never raced before, and you asked her to get as much of a start as possible didn’t you?” Bunta asked Yoko, both of whom were leaning on their cars waiting to hear the news that the kids had cleared the hairpins.

“Avaricious as ever then, Bunta? MY guess is that you asked Takumi to give two seconds away so you can chase me.” Yoko replied with a smirk. Bunta just smiled at the comment.

“Like always”

The radio crackled into life and the two adults leant in to listen. “The Starion is still in front with about two seconds in hand over the Trueno.”

“Well, the show’s about to begin then. Ladies first?”

~ ~ ~

After having cleared the hairpins, and giving up his two seconds Takumi thought he could finally relax a tiny bit knowing his work was done, and now it was up to his shitty old man to end it. Coming to the penultimate corner, he felt a bump under his left front wheel. Thinking nothing of it, he continued his drift through it, when suddenly:

“What in the…?”

Manabe looked in her rear view mirror to see very vaguely the Trueno understeering extremely wide and extremely suddenly before somehow catching itself.

“f**k, I just gave another two seconds out of that… whatever just happened”

As the Starion crossed the parking lot, the Evo IX launched itself out of the parking lot with a chirp of the tyres. Four seconds later, the Trueno passed the lot as well, and Bunta floored it out, knowing he had four seconds to make up between now and the end.

“ I am going to kill Takumi myself regardless of what happens, the brat” muttered Bunta as he began to unleash the 2.5L Boxer on Akina’s uphill.
Sanae
Posted: Jan 20 2010, 06:39 AM

IDW Okamisan

Member No.: 19,388

Okay, you wanted my opinion and here it is:

I love the idea of having a whole lot of Fujiwara racing each other and getting other people, namely the Takahashi brothers, Kyoko and Masashi involved whether they like it or not. Also, I loved that Keisuke x Kyoko moment, you made me a very happy fangirl with that one. happy.gif

That said, the chapters are a little short but they convey well what you're trying to describe and leave you wanting to see what happens next so, well done with that!

Regarding the cars/specs/races, well, I always feel like you know a lot more than I do so, I'm impressed by default. To finish off, I hope you will finish this soon! tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
mikethecripple
Posted: Jan 26 2010, 12:36 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 30,848

ARGH!! finish i MUST KNOW what happens therefore MOAR!!1 but this is damn good grin2.gif

Edit: i may be able to help with your sparkie exams if you need a hand... Ive done a degree in robotic engineering and a pre apprenticeship course in being a sparkie wink2.gif

This post has been edited by mikethecripple on Jan 26 2010, 12:39 PM
?wha?
  Posted: Jan 26 2010, 11:36 PM

mike: thanks smile.gif I have no more sparkie exams now, cause I'm going into my final year and that means thesis..... I guess writing fanfic helps the typing process tongue.gif

Sanae: I do a little research before I start writing. I don't know.. I tend to be able to condense what I need to write into about 2 A4 pages. I'll do my best to keep to your high standards of Fanfic biggrin.gif

Anyway.. UPDATE TIIIIIME biggrin.gif

Chapter 13: Raising Hell

As the WRX rounded another hairpin, Bunta began assessing his current position. He could not see the Evo yet, and he was almost halfway to the top, but he could hear the roar of the engine, which meant that he was getting close. Moreover, he felt the tyres starting reach optimum temperature and he knew he could start putting the hammer down and start to put his plan into action.
Not very further up the road Yoko was also taking stock of her surroundings. She had her lights on, and everything was in perfect order, as well as having the lucky star of the Fujiwaras firmly entrenched in the female camp. As the Evo was cruising along the longest straight, she saw the set of headlights belonging to the WRX exiting the hairpin leading onto the said straight. As with anything related to cars and Fujiwaras, nothing under the hood is ever stock standard, and more often than not it would be taken from a little book of contacts. The WRX and the Evo were no different.

“That’s a second down, I’ve got three more to hold”

In the time they took to reach the last hairpin going uphill, Bunta had made up one more second on the gap, and approaching the straight leading to the cone to turn around, he was silently smiling as he geared for the biggest challenge he would face… again.

~ ~ ~

At the peak, the Takahashi brothers were watching in anticipation of the impending arrival of the gods of Akina. Ryosuke in particular was curious observe the Evo’s behaviour as well as that of Bunta and his new GDBF. He was just passing his mind over the topic of Manabe when Keisuke brought him some news.

“Aniki, Takumi gave four second leeway to the Starion. Any thoughts?”
“… Interesting.” Keisuke frowned.
“I expect that was a plan set by Takumi and his father, and although I asked you to put six seconds between Hoshino-san and yourself in Ibraki, four seconds here is a bit too much. Everything aside though, I want to see how two gods race.”

“They’re here!” One of the spotters shouted, and sure enough a set of headlights came over the ridge, followed roughly two seconds later by another set. Yoko came screaming into the cone, executing a handbrake slide around it before setting off back down the mountain. It was this instant which provided Ryosuke with enough motivation, and as Bunta pulled the same manoeuvre he had already thrown Keisuke into the FC and started the engine to follow the race downhill. Only one thing was different this time.

“Aniki, why haven’t you got your lights on?”
“They don’t either.” And with that they both saw the Evo and WRX simultaneously switch off their lights, blackening out the course in the process. “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”
They then proceeded to watch as first Yoko then Bunta cleared the turn with only a couple of micrometers between the front bumper and the guardrail and hence, putting a further couple of milliseconds difference between them and the FC. Not even Ryosuke could have executed the turn with such precision, and he watched with stunned amazement as they both slowly started to pull away.

~ ~ ~

“Looks like I lost the bet then..” Yoko mumbled as she drifted around the next corner. Bunta had insisted she take the bet that Ryosuke would follow, but now that meant they had to drive blind down Akina.
Not that she minded, in fact it made things a little bit more fun, seeing as she could forget about the how fast she was going and focus on the road in front of her.

Meanwhile in the WRX, Bunta was smirking, yet somewhat irritated that the Takahashi brats were following them down. They had reached the entrance to the straight before the S-curves and he was now sitting behind the Evo and the FC tailing away probably 4-5 seconds down. The problem, he thought with a white car, was that in situations like these even if you did turn off your headlights, your car would still be there, light as day and hence why he got this car in black. The 86... well he wanted to be seen in that, but the carbon fibre hood donated by Takahashi was welcome in more ways than one. As he was pondering he locked up the wheel for a fraction of an instant turning into the S-curves, dropping precious milliseconds. Knowing he couldn’t afford to reminisce, he did something he hadn’t done since his last race with Yoko fifteen years ago… he opened his eyes.
“Time to get serious then”

In the Evo, Yoko noticed the smoke from the tyre that locked, and subsequently the subtle shift in attitude and she knew what exactly was coming her way.
“Looks like we’ve just rekindled something haven’t we? I’m looking forward to the end of this.”

~ ~ ~

Manabe, after letting her Starion cool off, walked towards her brother who had his head down checking the front left tyre. By the time she walked up to him and bent down, she saw a revolted expression on his face.

“So.. what’s up?”
“Ugh, I don’t even want to know what that is” was the reply as Takumi pointed to the tyre.
“Oh… well at least your sister isn’t your typical girl and run away screaming blue murder”
“Yeah riiight… I don’t doubt that in the least.”
Sanae
Posted: Jan 27 2010, 12:33 AM

IDW Okamisan

Member No.: 19,388

My favourite bit of the chapter:

he did something he hadn’t done since his last race with Yoko fifteen years ago… he opened his eyes.

laugh.gif

Well done again and thanks for updating so fast!!

[shameless plug] tell me what you think of my new story too, if you can [/shameless plug] tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
mikethecripple
Posted: Jan 27 2010, 12:17 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 30,848

BRILLIANT!! but hey if you need a hand with anything lemme know i gotta help so you can get back to you fic... wink2.gif grin2.gif
?wha?
  Posted: Feb 12 2010, 06:01 AM

Sorry for the delay people, I'm preparing for a performance for Chinese new year and have been quite the busy one. Nonetheless, a new chapter goes live!

Chapter 14: 6 Degrees of Separation

In the FC, both the occupants felt the tempo of the race kick up a fair few notches even though they now could not see the two rally inspired street machines. Keisuke was scared, and he would readily admit that even his brother’s suicidal decent down Akagi when he was in his biker days was a cakewalk compared to what he was going through now.
However, this was nothing compared to what Ryosuke was going through.
He had witnessed, like the galleries, something that would never be repeated in history. A piece of precision driving that no other drivers can replicate, not even those of F1 or even that mythical “Stig” he kept reading about on the internet. Here he was, trying to fit the last piece of the puzzle into his theory for the fastest speed on the road by following the two Fujiwaras and he was pushed beyond his limits driving blind at 200km/h down the main straight, yet he still could not keep up. His shirt was drenched in cold sweat and the tyres were beginning to run thin on tread. Besides these problems, Ryosuke was driving like a man possessed; chasing the pair akin to the Devil Z on the Wangan.

“Why? Why can’t I keep up? What am I missing?”

Keisuke didn’t bother to answer the rhetoric because the G forces from the corner they had just entered knocked the wind out of him.

~ ~ ~

The Evo and the WRX were approaching the five hairpins, separated by only a couple of centimetres and still very much in the dark. Through the first they went, both neglecting to use the gutter as if they wanted to show the galleries who they were, parallel drifting closer than even the Rotary brothers would dream of trying. Clearing the hairpin, they lined up for the second one, this time catching the gutter with the front wheel. Both cars seemed telepathic in their communication, their lines tread for tread exact as they left the hairpin. 3 and 4 passed in the same manner before 5 presented a change in attitude by the WRX. Both cars steamrolled into the corner hooking both tyres into the gutter, the Evo releasing a fraction too early and allowing the WRX to sneak in a few millimetres between them.

“I’m losing ground here…” thought Yoko as they again came perilously close to touching and the next corner. “Can I hold out my advantage until the end?” She smiled as the Evo drifted around the last real hairpin leading into the final few turns.

Bunta on the other hand was less than pleased. “This WRX takes some getting used to. Heavier but 6 speed… Oh well, got to take the good with the bad. It’ll grow on me like the other WRX did I guess.”

~ ~ ~

“So, what do you think of Ryosuke-kun, Nii-san?” asked Manabe as they sat on their cars, drinking some coffee they got from the machines earlier. Takumi, as always was nonplussed, but “-kun” he thought?

“He’s a good mentor and he’s really good at driving? He’s better than me let’s just say in most departments. I look up to him as a brother and a mentor more than anything… why do you ask?”

Manabe had the cheshire cat look again on her face. “Nothing in particular and everything in general…” Takumi frowned.
“Anyway” Manabe continued, clearly changing the subject, “Aren’t you going to clean off the dead rat off your wheel? You just had to park your wheel so that we can see it didn’t you?”

“Oh, that. I’ll get around to it soon, probably when I get home. That thing cost me a few seconds” Takumi shook his head. “Probably makes up for taking advantage of Tomo’s hesitance in Happogarah”

~ ~ ~

Yoko and Bunta were coming into the last few turns, the Evo in front and the WRX still stubbornly placed behind it. Yoko was going to thank the goddess of luck for holding out for her as she rounded the penultimate corner when it happened.
Bunta in the rear saw the Evo drifting then, almost in slow motion, saw as the car understeered a car width, before catching itself with the S-AYC system. This was enough for him to press his advantage and level with the Evo. As they approached the last turn, the WRX had its nose in front on the outer lane while the Evo desperately tried to drop into the boost zone. They ended up crossing the line dead level to the naked eye and after bringing their cars to a halt did they turn back on their lights.

Bunta got out of his car, lit a cigarette before proceeding to Takumi, who was shocked to see his father’s eyes open. He opened his mouth but before he could say anything he was smacked on the back of the head by Bunta before the latter went to check the rat-gutted wheel.
“Serves you right boy, for running over this thing”
Yoko got out, still smiling.
“So, who’s won?”

3 Pages  1 2 3