Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Highway Discipline

Important Rules
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 6 AA and 7 AAX here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. For anything about ver.4, please post them in the version 4 section. For anything about ver.5, please post them in the version 5 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

ยป FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 114,247  ·  Replies: 127 
> Initial D Arcade Stage Zero
N643
Posted: Aug 1 2016, 09:24 AM

IDW Prime Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 28,448

honestly sonic isnt completely wrong, u guys keep forgeting that sega is pretty much a dying company and they seem to be just drinking there only sliva to stay alive

project diva is a success, but we all know that in order to walk fast or run u would need a pair of legs and sega only has one leg thats fully functional

inital d will never pass wangan in terms of fun factor as wangan is a 4 player aggressive base type of game, yet they are still just a small piece of namcos pie

but chances of this coming to NA is slim as sega is not going to take risks and stuff like that (poor ppl tend.to be like that), unlike namco where they do have quite a bit of money lying around
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Aug 1 2016, 04:24 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

Just noticed that putting the selector in N switches over to automatic. What the heck?
tushi
Posted: Aug 1 2016, 04:32 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,030

QUOTE (SonicSP @ Today, 5:27 AM)

I think the BGM part says something like all new BGM lineup based on cinema or something like that. If that means the music style is changing to Legends movie series, then yes that would mean getting rid of eurobeat. Which would be unfortunate in my opinion, since it wouldn't be Initial D without Eurobeat. It's the biggest problem I have personally with the movie series, I don't even mind the rehashed story.

Just a theory, but if Sega takes all the music to ones they make by themselves as opposed to licensed music that means they save a lot of money in licensing fees. One of the reason why Burn Inside has appeared consistently since its debut in D6 is because of that.

Sega is in pretty rough financial shape at the moment, so they'll probabaly be looking to cut costs however they can.

Yup, agreed. It wouldn't be Initial D without Eurobeat. Both go hand in hand. I'm not so sure if removing Eurobeat from ID is a good move.

Personally for me, it was Eurobeat that hooked me up to Initial D. I really hope that Sega puts this into consideration, however bad their financials is. I haven't read Sega's annual financial report before, nor I'm familiar with the arcade game industry in Japan, but if they're going to skimp on this it's probably better to reconsider rolling out a new game installment.
holnivek
Posted: Aug 2 2016, 01:30 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 46,366

QUOTE (HashiriyaR32 @ 9 hours, 5 minutes ago)
Just noticed that putting the selector in N switches over to automatic.  What the heck?

That's actually ideal. For AT players like me (I'm not hardcore enough to do MT), there are times when you want to downshift to decrease your speed quickly without having to brake a lot (think Iro's first corner or Happo's consecutive hairpins).

The other advantage is if the stick shift is broken, the shifting will be taken care of by the computer if you just push it to N. I've seen broken stick shift quite a bit when playing WMMT.

I hope they keep this behavior.

This post has been edited by holnivek on Aug 2 2016, 01:30 AM
SonicSP
  Posted: Aug 2 2016, 06:06 AM

Nagao Fanboy

Member No.: 36,182

QUOTE (holnivek @ 4 hours, 36 minutes ago)
That's actually ideal. For AT players like me (I'm not hardcore enough to do MT), there are times when you want to downshift to decrease your speed quickly without having to brake a lot (think Iro's first corner or Happo's consecutive hairpins).

The other advantage is if the stick shift is broken, the shifting will be taken care of by the computer if you just push it to N. I've seen broken stick shift quite a bit when playing WMMT.

You can already do that in the current game. Just push up the stick and the gear will drop down. It has been a feature since D6, at least I discovered it on that version anyways.

Personally I say it's better to use brakes to slow down in D8 then to downshift in most cases. It was the opposite in D7 though, quite a lot of times where downshifting to slow down is preferable because the brakes are so much more stronger, thus it is not a good idea to touch them most of the time aside from initiating BCs.

=====โ€ข=

In a way, in D0 it seems like we are truly playing a real semi-automatic car. Not only can we switch gears without requiring clutch input from the driver (which is the definition of semi-automatic I think), but you can switch to actual automatic mid-drive. Which makes the H-shifter thing a bit weird since most semi-auto cars use sequential shifters as opposed to H-shifters, but I guess they're doing a Wangan/Daytona and using the clutch-less positional shifter thing.

Also, broken shift sticks can be a bit weird. Sometimes they actually don't stay on N and drop to 4 position, which may still screw the upcoming D0 setup. I can see a very big potential issue related to this, if they take out the auto or manual option we currently have in the menu like we have now.

If the gearbox is spoiled and can't reach/input N at all, it would disable automatic shifting for players completely. So if they're going to do is N=automatic thing, they need to have like a "force automatic" option in the menu or something as to not make the machine unplayable when the shifter has a problem and can't go to N/stay at N.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on Aug 2 2016, 06:42 AM
kyonpalm
Posted: Aug 2 2016, 07:30 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (holnivek @ 6 hours, 0 minutes ago)

This is a brilliant idea, actually. Would certainly have saved the ancient and well-used MT1 cab at my local arcade.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
holnivek
Posted: Aug 2 2016, 10:16 AM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (SonicSP @ 4 hours, 10 minutes ago)
You can already do that in the current game. Just push up the stick and the gear will drop down. It has been a feature since D6, at least I discovered it on that version anyways.

I know you could, and it has been that way since D2. But I don't think you can drop more than 1 gear at a time (unless the arcade at my place is faulty).

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 2 hours, 46 minutes ago)
This is a brilliant idea, actually. Would certainly have saved the ancient and well-used MT1 cab at my local arcade.

MT1? Wow, that's old school. Reminds me of the time when Wangan Midnight R was hip (it's the predecessor to WMMT).

This post has been edited by holnivek on Aug 2 2016, 10:24 AM
SonicSP
  Posted: Aug 2 2016, 03:52 PM

Nagao Fanboy

QUOTE (holnivek @ 5 hours, 36 minutes ago)
I know you could, and it has been that way since D2. But I don't think you can drop more than 1 gear at a time (unless the arcade at my place is faulty).

MT1? Wow, that's old school. Reminds me of the time when Wangan Midnight R was hip (it's the predecessor to WMMT).

I could drop it more than one gear at my arcade I recall, though you have to move the stick multiple times, but in that sense it's exactly the same as downshifting in manual. I played auto for quite a while in D8 while practicing the footwork and I used to downshift quite a bit to slow down myself in some places when I needed to.

In fact, based on my experience in D8 as someone who plays a lot of both in total for this game, auto is actually slightly faster on average for me because the game's racing output is mostly in the footwork (freeing up your mind to focus more on it and not worry about the gear) while the shifter allowes me to drop the gear for slowing down purposes whenever I need.

The auto shifter does have a tendency to over-rev near the beginning relative to manual when you're going through the rocket boost, but it's mostly as good. Prior to FullSpec/ExSpec it's superior even, since there is much more shifting that needs to be done due to the power loss.

At least, it's better (in most cases) than manual in D8. That's not the case for the previous versions though.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on Aug 2 2016, 04:04 PM
holnivek
Posted: Aug 2 2016, 05:55 PM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (SonicSP @ 2 hours, 2 minutes ago)
I could drop it more than one gear at my arcade I recall, though you have to move the stick multiple times, but in that sense it's exactly the same as downshifting in manual. I played auto for quite a while in D8 while practicing the footwork and I used to downshift quite a bit to slow down myself in some places when I needed to.

In fact, based on my experience in D8 as someone who plays a lot of both in total for this game, auto is actually slightly faster on average for me because the game's racing output is mostly in the footwork (freeing up your mind to focus more on it and not worry about the gear) while the shifter allowes me to drop the gear for slowing down purposes whenever I need.

The auto shifter does have a tendency to over-rev near the beginning relative to manual when you're going through the rocket boost, but it's mostly as good. Prior to FullSpec/ExSpec it's superior even, since there is much more shifting that needs to be done due to the power loss.

At least, it's better (in most cases) than manual in D8. That's not the case for the previous versions though.

Oh really? Hmm, perhaps it's the machine then. I'll try doing that on a different machine next time I go to the arcade.

I use AT mainly because I tend to do one-handed steer on MT, which hurts my thumb and wrist quite a bit (even with force feedback at lvl 0). Maybe I'm just old lol.
tushi
Posted: Aug 3 2016, 04:21 PM

IDW Full Member

.....and it does mean that the character voices will be different! sad.gif
Since the CVs for Legend trilogy are different from the original.

holnivek
Posted: Aug 3 2016, 08:55 PM

IDW God Member

New cabinet

Is it just me, or does the new cabinet have a smaller steering wheel and a bigger screen?
tushi
Posted: Aug 4 2016, 03:06 AM

IDW Full Member

Received info that there won't be Eurobeat in Zero
SonicSP
  Posted: Aug 4 2016, 05:32 AM

Nagao Fanboy

QUOTE (holnivek @ Aug 2 2016, 05:55 PM)
Oh really? Hmm, perhaps it's the machine then. I'll try doing that on a different machine next time I go to the arcade.

I use AT mainly because I tend to do one-handed steer on MT, which hurts my thumb and wrist quite a bit (even with force feedback at lvl 0). Maybe I'm just old lol.

I just tested it on my arcade and you're right I think, you can only drop one gear. I played a lot of auto in D8 for awhile so I'm susprised I never noticed that.

I think the reason I never noticed is because downshifting two gears for braking isn't much of an needed to tackle even hard corners D8 where one gear drop and brakes usually have a hard enough effect on slowing down. However it would have been quite a big disadvantage in D7 where gear downshift without braking for slowing down is much much more important to the general gameplay.

QUOTE (holnivek @ 8 hours, 32 minutes ago)
New cabinet

Is it just me, or does the new cabinet have a smaller steering wheel and a bigger screen?

I does certainly seem like it. Personally I thought the current size is perfect since it's close to a real car and that is really appealing to me. But I guess it's hard to know how good or bad the new one is without actually trying it.

QUOTE (tushi @ 2 hours, 21 minutes ago)
Received info that there won't be Eurobeat in Zero

That's unfortunate but not surprising given what they said in the announcement. Wonder whether they are replacing it with new-genre licensed music, or whether they're going with music they made on their own.

If the music is not well received, they may always revert back to Eurobeat later in D9.

QUOTE (tushi @ Yesterday, 4:21 PM)
.....and it does mean that the character voices will be different! sad.gif
Since the CVs for Legend trilogy are different from the original.

Given the Legends logo as well as the whole reboot feeling of the game, my guess is yes. While I do not like the new voice actors as much, I think this is more of a minor issue compared to the music genre change.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on Aug 4 2016, 09:34 AM
Akii
Posted: Aug 5 2016, 02:29 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 34,416

QUOTE (SonicSP @ Yesterday, 5:32 AM)
I just tested it on my arcade and you're right I think, you can only drop one gear. I played a lot of auto in D8 for awhile so I'm susprised I never noticed that.

I think the reason I never noticed is because downshifting two gears for braking isn't much of an needed to tackle even hard corners D8 where one gear drop and brakes usually have a hard enough effect on slowing down. However it would have been quite a big disadvantage in D7 where gear downshift without braking for slowing down is much much more important to the general gameplay.

I does certainly seem like it. Personally I thought the current size is perfect since it's close to a real car and that is really appealing to me. But I guess it's hard to know how good or bad the new one is without actually trying it.

That's unfortunate but not surprising given what they said in the announcement. Wonder whether they are replacing it with new-genre licensed music, or whether they're going with music they made on their own.

If the music is not well received, they may always revert back to Eurobeat later in D9.

Given the Legends logo as well as the whole reboot feeling of the game, my guess is yes. While I do not like the new voice actors as much, I think this is more of a minor issue compared to the music genre change.

If you want to feel what's the size of this steering wheel.... I would say the steering size looks like those from the Daytona USA 2 machines. Its probably around that size or slightly larger

This post has been edited by Akii on Aug 5 2016, 02:31 AM
SonicSP
  Posted: Aug 5 2016, 03:03 AM

Nagao Fanboy

I wonder whether the smaller wheel would make it more accessible to more people, which is what they're going for?
Akii
Posted: Aug 5 2016, 03:24 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 34,416

QUOTE (SonicSP @ 20 minutes, 24 seconds ago)
I wonder whether the smaller wheel would make it more accessible to more people, which is what they're going for?

I think its just to cheapen the cost of manufacturing a new cabinet instead of having a dedicated one. It looks cheaper to me now
Saint
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 07:14 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

You guys probably already know, but heck:

Photo
(No idea how to link the FB photo directly here.)

Seems alright. Steering's about the same, if not the same.
Stage Zero Location test summary
1)Similar graphics style as ID8 (""slightly"" graphics upgrade with better monitor)
2)New MT gear box
3)Similar BC technique
4)Similar physics system as ID8
5)Revamped story mode
6)ID6 leveling style
7)Full Legend movie series BGM line-up
8)Ghost Car mode like WMMT (not conform yet)
9)Support Aime/Bana Pass (save tones of car in a card?)
10)External card reading machine (WMMT style)
11)Itsuki Takeuchi is still the weakest (-`дยด-)

Source

So I guess we don't have to worry about learning the game physics all over again.

This post has been edited by Saint on Aug 7 2016, 07:27 AM
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 10:31 AM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

3)Similar BC technique

Why the hell is BC still a thing?
SonicSP
  Posted: Aug 7 2016, 05:29 PM

Nagao Fanboy

QUOTE (Saint @ Today, 7:14 AM)

Photo

Source

So I guess we don't have to worry about learning the game physics all over again.

I recall back when they were doing D5's location test they actually used D4's physics. When the actual D5 came out, the physics was very different from the location test. So I wouldn't 100% conclude that these are the final physics yet since this is not the final version and we have a precedent of them changing it.

Not that I have a problem with D8-like physics since I love D8 to death. I don't mind if they keep it similar or even the same even.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on Aug 7 2016, 05:30 PM
holnivek
Posted: Aug 7 2016, 09:35 PM

IDW God Member

QUOTE (Saint @ Today, 8:14 AM)

Photo

Source

IDK about the steering part, seems a lot smaller to me. Not that I mind though, smaller = faster to turn.
ZeetherKID77
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 12:10 PM

Move it, bucko

Member No.: 2,311

I'll never get to play this, but taking the Eurobeat out is a really bad idea. The other changes sound great especially the sequential shifter, but no Eurobeat just isn't gonna cut it.

Unless they're planning on some kind of patch down the line...

This post has been edited by ZeetherKID77 on Aug 8 2016, 12:20 PM
Eternal Firebird
Posted: Aug 8 2016, 04:34 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 47,345

Well looking at the artwork, it's basically gonna follow the New Initial D movies. But removing Eurobeat, facepalm.gif bad move, even though the rock songs were pretty good. Now we got a new Arcade Stage, which Its pretty obvious that Sega won't be releasing in the West, and still no console port of ID AS8.
holnivek
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 05:22 AM

IDW God Member

Waiting for a console version of ID from Sega is like waiting for Half Life 3 from Valve. I kind of gave up on it already.
SonicSP
  Posted: Aug 9 2016, 07:01 AM

Nagao Fanboy

To be honest, I can't remember the last time we got a console port of an arcade racing game. Wangan doesn't have a recent one either despite the fact that Namco frequently ports games like Gundam vs Gundam and Tekken (which are fighting games).

I think part of it might be because driving games arent as popular as before, but another reason I think is because games like Initial D don't port well to a non-wheel system. The precise gameplay seems to be designed around wheels and I can imagine some of the physics systems of the last few IDAS games will be hard to emulate on controllers. This contrasts with racing games that are made with consoles in mind and are released on consoles as the primary platform, where they'll design the mechanics to be more controller friendly. Some things like the Gold Drift Boost system from D6 will be very very hard to do on a controller, if not impossible.

Some people will get the wheel but most people even those that are part of the arcade crowd may not necessarily bother. That's just the reality of external peripherals business where they don't tend to sell well.

By contrast fighting games adapt well to the controller with relatively little loss of functionality. Some hardcore players would argue that it's not as good as a fight stick but the difference between a fight stick and a controller is much less than a racing wheel and a controller.

Add this to the fact that the companies are afraid of cannabalizing their arcade sections then there is little reward for them to do it without adequate demand to compensate for their cannabalization risks (even Namco has like a two year delay for Tekken 7 I think). Since Namco and Sega both used to make the ports of their racing games before stopping, they probably don't think it's worth risking the angering the arcade operators. I don't think most arcade games even get ports anymore, even in Japan. Not getting a port may be the norm rather than the exception except for certain titles.

This is especially true now that these arcades have profit sharing programs with them with some of their online services. In order to have online for Initial D machines, the arcades must not only pay a monthly fee but Sega gets a percentage of revenue of every game played on an online machine. I assume the gains from releasing an arcade racing game port is probably not worth cannabalizing the actual arcade business.

Coincidently, it wouldn't surprise me if the move to online-only save systems like Banana and Aime is to further encourage this type of subscription since the machines are more useless without them. We even saw this in D8 which has less offline features than D7.

This post has been edited by SonicSP on Aug 9 2016, 07:18 AM
Eternal Firebird
Posted: Aug 9 2016, 07:38 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 47,345

Well if Sega doesn't bother porting ID AS8 or AS0, I'm just gonna wait for a ROM, if someone knows how to emulate RingEdge.

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 »