Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Another Dimension

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

12 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 354,172  ·  Replies: 280 
> Initial D Fifth Stage Episode 13 & 14, Discussion and how to download it
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 10 2013, 08:26 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (haspieuw @ 3 hours, 52 minutes ago)
But shouldnt we just be happy there is a Fifth stage in the first place?

That's exactly my point--I believe the answer to this is a resounding 'no'. I would rather have waited another six years and gotten something at least up to the level of previous series than accept this. sad.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
eatsuki
Posted: May 10 2013, 08:30 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,650

QUOTE (lynk26 @ 5 hours, 23 minutes ago)
As part of the "it's not the best, but I'll take what I can get" crowd, I do think some people are over sensationalizing some of the previous stages and using that as ammo to say that this stage is not as attentive to detail. (Warning: Manga Spoilers ahead for those that want to read it but haven't had the chance.)

SPOILER

Either way, you guys get my point. If we're going to nitpick, then every Stage made has had it's flaws. Whether it was inaccuracy, lack of attention to detail, or something else I haven't mentioned, it's been there throughout the anime. It's not something that just started happening in Fifth Stage, so that's why I think some people are a bit overly critical. Is Fifth Stage the best stage ever made? No way, but it is better than nothing, and better than waiting because even if we waited, there'd be no guarantee that we would get "better" quality. The way I see it, it is what it is, and I just enjoy Fifth Stage for what it is, for better or worse. As always though, you are entitled to your opinion thumbsup.gif .

Wow, you remember all those /spoiler details from memory? You got some Ryosuke in you biggrin.gif good stuff

The Sakai vs Keisuke race that was glossed over in 4th stage was indeed a loss. That race was good.

"Is Fifth Stage the best stage ever made? No way, but it is better than nothing, and better than waiting because even if we waited, there'd be no guarantee that we would get "better" quality."

I agree 100% with this. They already set a poverty budget for Fifth Stage. I have a feeling that even if the manga was 10 chapters ahead of where it is now, they would still cram those 10 chapters in 1 episode then call it quits XD
Tessou
Posted: May 10 2013, 08:37 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Somebody reported this thread for language of all things. Profanity has always been allowed on IDW so long as it's not used against another member. Even with the censors in place (which have been removed for years), getting past them was not hard and members were not warned for doing so.

For instance:
This season of Initial D is total shit. ACCEPTABLE
You are a piece of shit. UNACCEPTABLE! WARNING IMMINENT!
pingu86
Posted: May 10 2013, 08:44 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 39,079

Well said Meteor... I miss the race build up from fourth stage...
soursalem
Posted: May 10 2013, 09:01 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 38,764

QUOTE (pingu86 @ 9 hours, 29 minutes ago)
Rush yes they even cut all the good bit from manga and the character design is awful at time... but the main reason it only have 14 ep is because shuichi shigeno could not decide the ending to Takumi vs Shinji race...

yes yes; I think this means OVA or movie that shows that race and the ending exclusively.
pimenta59
Posted: May 10 2013, 09:21 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 40,072

Well, while waiting for the last episodes, I was re-watching all of initial D stages, even the extras. Fifth stage quality is indeed lower than previous stages, but, for me, the worst is that I had to wait a month for a pair of episodes, and these episodes, when they started to build up the tension, getting me fired up, they ended. And then…a month of cooldown. That, for me, sucks.

I should have waited for ALL of fifth stage to come out, so I could watch ALL of em at once, and not bit by bit. My mistake.
Since Initial D is ending, I have a bit of regret that fifth stage wasn't as good as fourth stage, not even close. The only race I am really eager to see, is Takumi vs Shinji AE86 battle, but that won't happen, for now.

But, stuff gotta end someday. (Except Oil: Oil doesn't have to end, and even if it does, there is still alcohol (etanol) and biodiesel to burn).

Akagi's White Comet
Posted: May 10 2013, 10:40 PM

The Charismatic Member

Member No.: 14,613

SPOILER
beardRage
Posted: May 10 2013, 11:22 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,114

Fifth Stage has basically been a crap Extra Stage. I would have gladly waited a while longer to get something along the lines of earlier stages. I'm hoping for a good OVA at least. Maybe if we're insanely lucky they will redo Fifth Stage, kinda like FMA Brotherhood or Helsing Ultimate.
Team Evolution
Posted: May 11 2013, 01:42 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 15,656

It should be called Loser Stage...

Initial D whas really one of the best Anime but with stage 5 it did fall in to an deep hole.

Story whas low, animations whas most low, and the ending whas just plain crap

and this comes from an real fan who is very dissapointed and down.

Gladly we have still stage 1 to 4 to rewatch
mike962
Posted: May 11 2013, 03:16 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 29,885

WOW the fires of hatred are on whole new level here rolleyes.gif

you should all hope for a Stage 6 OVA with better production values or it all ends on a cliffhanger facepalm.gif

This post has been edited by mike962 on May 11 2013, 03:17 AM
Tessou
Posted: May 11 2013, 05:04 AM

Group Icon

We can hope, sure, but that doesn't mean it will be good.

If the company handling it put this amount of care into Fifth Stage, what makes you think they'll put any more effort into a sequel? More does not always mean better. Initial D is running into a classic problem faced by long-running series', in that over time, the production company starts to lose interest. Many series' have fallen victim to it and fallen into obscurity. Big O, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragonball GT, YuYu Hakusho, and especially School Rumble's absolutely horrendous Third Semester OVA.

Right now I feel like we should just let it die. Yeah, a movie or OVA is probably in the works at the moment, but I wouldn't hedge bets that it will be up to the same standards of anything before it.
eatsuki
Posted: May 11 2013, 05:50 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 38,650

QUOTE (Tessou @ 45 minutes, 37 seconds ago)
We can hope, sure, but that doesn't mean it will be good.

If the company handling it put this amount of care into Fifth Stage, what makes you think they'll put any more effort into a sequel? More does not always mean better. Initial D is running into a classic problem faced by long-running series', in that over time, the production company starts to lose interest.

I may be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses, but I think the episodes starting from 9-10
SPOILER
were improved compared to the earlier episodes this season.

Maybe what happened was: They offered a low budget for a full season of anime. The established Japanese studios that worked on Stage 1,2,3,4 refused to work for so little money. So a studio with less experienced workers got the contract for Stage 5th. As the episodes went along, they improved a bit. So maybe in a next anime season, we can expect better episodes from the start?
Tessou
Posted: May 11 2013, 07:33 AM

Group Icon

It does stink heavily of "we need to roll this season out ASAP since the fans are complaining". There is little evidence that anybody put any sort of love or care into Fifth Stage. Everything about it is just hideous.
KngsTunYaardy316
Posted: May 11 2013, 08:31 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 39,113

QUOTE (smokenrowboy @ Yesterday, 4:07 PM)
I agree with everyone. Every Stage had its flaws. But Fifth is hugely flawed.

My biggest gripe with Fifth Stage that Stages 1-4 had was REALISM in the portrayal of the car's dynamics. In Fifth Stage, cars slide everywhere in seemingly fast-forward. Stages 1-4 paced the cars' movements, showing mild subtleties like one car showing oversteer and another mild understeer, etc. Initial D concepts were always real "enough" to apply to the real world.

Fourth Stage did an incredible job animating God Arm's "in-between drift and grip." Showing the heft of the R34. Showing the subtle 'push' characteristics of FF cars like the EK9. Showing the 'handling-like-on-rails' of the GC8. The low "mu" during rain races. Building up tire wear throughout the race.

I understand the use of "teleportation" as a metaphor for the Fujiwara and "Keisuke" Zones, but Fifth Stage went super HYPHY with that shiznit.

I LOVE Fifth Stage as a die-hard Initial D fan because it exists. I would've gladly traded other aspects of the show for a more epic, intuitive driving showcase with the realistic car and tire dynamic models of past Stages. I LOVE watching the past shows, knowing I could drive my personal car just like they do. But with the cartoony world of Fifth Stage, that's impossible. I guess that's why my imagination and the manga will have to make do.

5/10. Looking forward to what look's like a future OVA.

No one is allowed to rebuttal my argument smile.gif

I agree with just about everything you've said.

Stage 1 is the main stage I've watched repetitively due its the real world application. That's what made watching it so addictive- well for me at least.
SPOILER
Aradiel
Posted: May 11 2013, 08:58 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 38,958

Considering how the manga ended, and how many eps were left, I think we all knew how Fifth Stage was going to end.

I'm not going to say it was the best season, but I personally enjoyed it.
Yengeto
Posted: May 11 2013, 09:01 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 39,093

Yengeto's impression:
SPOILER

This post has been edited by Yengeto on May 11 2013, 09:13 AM
lynk26
Posted: May 11 2013, 09:14 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 5,290

QUOTE (Meteor @ Yesterday, 10:30 PM)
Just felt like responding to an earlier post.

Yeah, it wasn't entirely faithful to the original, but small adaptational inaccuracies aren't automatically a problem in themselves. As you yourself admitted, the rearranged races helped First Stage wrap up properly. And it did it all without leaving out any of the Gunma drivers that were Takumi's first opponents.

As for Fifth Stage, I can't really say exactly how it was or wasn't an accurate adaptation (I'll leave that to someone else), but if there really were inaccuracies, they aren't the main thing that hurt it as both an adaptation and a stand alone work. The real problem had a lot more to do with pacing.
First Stage was well paced and built up its plot nicely, Second Stage had decent pacing as well, Third Stage was also good in this regard, and even Fourth Stage managed an okay pace.
But with Fifth Stage, everything was simply rushed after the first one or two episodes. Instead of putting time aside for what few bits of actual story currently remain in the manga, the anime tried to get to the races as quickly as it could. And instead of letting the races play out at the same reasonable (for a TV anime) paces that First, Second and Fourth Stage did, it then also tried to get through these races as quickly as possible, even omitting stuff in at least one instance to make a race end even quicker (from what I've seen people post about how the manga tackled these same races). Things just ended too quickly very often, with little focus on the non-racing moments, generally little buildup for the races, and with racing footage and roadside battle commentary crammed together too tightly in little space.
And that's basically the biggest problem people are having with Fifth Stage as an adaptation. Not how faithful it is or isn't to the manga, or the lack of attention to detail some are referring to (which are actually mistakes in car sounds - already pointed out by N1 - rather than stuff in the CG, though I could certainly go on about the CG animation a little) but how the pacing played a good part in keeping it from being better.

You're right about those other problems though - First Stage's car animations (though I could still go on about the CG in Initial D overall - including Fifth Stage's - if not getting too long-winded wasn't a concern), the weird looking character designs for some parts of Second Stage, and the scenes that got left out throughout the anime so far - But they still don't make the other stages flawed on the same level as Fifth Stage turned out to be. The other stages managed to more or less compensate for their flaws. Fifth Stage didn't.

The thing is that Fifth Stage's pace really couldn't have gone any other way. There weren't many side stories or fillers in the manga anyway, they mostly focused on the races in the manga as well. Most of the anime races were accurate in the sense that they got the main point of the race (my only gripe would be for the Takumi vs Kai race, that one really should have been a braking battle that they could have expanded more on). Could they have prolonged the races? I guess. However, that's still just a workaround of the main problem, that they simply had very little material to work with. You could wait another five, ten, fifteen years, fact of the matter is that since Fifth Stage had no substance to begin with, the quality wouldn't be any better had we waited.

Like I said before, I'm not saying that Fifth Stage is perfect and the best out of all of them. It's far from that. I'm just stating that the pace in the manga was this quick as well. The only difference is that because the manga is released slower, it feels like it takes a longer time and that you can make these races longer, but in reality when you read the manga and then take a look at the anime, you really can't do or add anything else with it. This is a matter of substance, and the other Stages had more of it in the manga, and the anime reflects it. This one didn't in either the anime or the manga, and it shows.
Zwirzok
Posted: May 11 2013, 10:37 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 39,649

Shit...
fifth stage can be like Extra Stage or... Third Stage... Nothing more.

For me - 6/10 (nice music, better 3D graphic)

Todo_Integra
Posted: May 11 2013, 11:20 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 40,569

SPOILER
fuji_tak
Posted: May 11 2013, 11:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 17,374

SPOILER
Silfa
Posted: May 11 2013, 12:09 PM

Time Attack Session!

Member No.: 25,308

SPOILER
Nik026
Posted: May 11 2013, 07:15 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 38,855

what was the song playing in Ep. 14 at the beginning of the second part?

This post has been edited by Nik026 on May 11 2013, 07:16 PM
Sephitrask
Posted: May 11 2013, 07:25 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 39,219

Being that I am a rotard, the Animation at 16:01 in episode 14 was absolutely one of the coolest things I have ever seen in a cartoon. I stopped and rewound it several times. Badass.
RIT_ninja
Posted: May 11 2013, 07:31 PM

ざけんなよ!

Member No.: 13,218

I felt like 4th stage had a bigger budget, plus the directors for 4th stage Tsuneo Tominaga did a whole lot better job than Mitsuo Hashimoto (Fifth stage director)

Tsuneo did a bunch of A-list anime like Cardcaptor, Cyber Formula (Futuristic F1 anime), Naruto, Shuffle, and Wangan Midnight just to name a few

Mitsuo did A-list (perhaps S-list) anime too but has less experience under his belt when it comes to racing anime genre. Some of his work: Beyblade, all Dragonball series, and Galaxy Angel

Maybe Mitsuo's style just doesn't fit Initial D or the budget just doesn't suit him enough to turn Initial D into long series like DBZ lol
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 11 2013, 07:36 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Sephitrask @ 10 minutes, 48 seconds ago)
Being that I am a rotard, the Animation at 16:01 in episode 14 was absolutely one of the coolest things I have ever seen in a cartoon. I stopped and rewound it several times. Badass.

You mean the exact same animation that's been in the opening since episode 1?

12 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »