Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (Wangan Midnight OST) Atalanta

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 5,936  ·  Replies: 24 
> IT help?, my RAM won't self-install ;o;
Hannah
  Posted: Apr 26 2013, 02:18 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 8,296

So lately, my mom has been having issues with her laptop, and nobody she knows has a clue about computers. So to save her from going to Staples and paying good money for a factory restore...

My moms laptop is acting up. She says it keeps shutting down. She's got Windows 7, and her problem is that she goes to start up the PC, it will bring up the "starting/loading Windows" page for 5+ minutes, goes to "windows didn't shut down properly, hit enter to load windows normally or load windows repair", then go into a page that says "encountered an error and windows will be shut off" and then powers off. What do?

This post has been edited by Hibiscus on Jan 14 2014, 02:15 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Apr 26 2013, 02:44 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

That information alone is a little vague. Could you say more? Worst-case-scenario you could just nuke the drive and reinstall Windows.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 26 2013, 03:21 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

I helped her over Skype. The most likely issue with the information she was able to provide was total hard drive failure. She's having it checked out locally by an IT dude she knows to be sure.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
khat17
Posted: May 4 2013, 07:45 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

From the sounds of it that would seem like the most likely thing. Either that or the OS install is corrupted. The shutting down issue though could also be an overheating thing - laptops need to be serviced. If she has been using it on her bed or such then that would add to the issue.

If the local IT guy is not gonna charge her then fine. If he is then I'd say burn a UBCD and do a check of the HDD from it.

Any updates?
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 4 2013, 08:41 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (khat17 @ 56 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
From the sounds of it that would seem like the most likely thing. Either that or the OS install is corrupted. The shutting down issue though could also be an overheating thing - laptops need to be serviced. If she has been using it on her bed or such then that would add to the issue.

If the local IT guy is not gonna charge her then fine. If he is then I'd say burn a UBCD and do a check of the HDD from it.

Any updates?

I thought OS install as well but there were certain warning signs that suggested hard drive failure. First, the sudden onset. Second, the huuuuuge delay in booting to normal or safe mode which was accompanied by the hard drive LED staying solid. Third, the specific error message shown on-screen correlates with a slew of posts online about hard drives going dead.

If it were overheating it would not warn the user beforehand. As far as I know Windows 7 has no graphical warning system built in for overheating--it simply BSODs. This was giving her a short warning alerting her that the system was going to shut down.

The UBCD is a great idea, but I was helping her through Skype while she was helping her mother over the phone. There was no way to get the UBCD to her. sad.gif

No updates as far as I've heard.
khat17
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 11:08 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

This has been idle for a while. It can't still be down right? Post some update pls?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 24 2013, 12:08 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (khat17 @ Jun 15 2013, 11:08 AM)
This has been idle for a while. It can't still be down right? Post some update pls?

I asked her for an update and all she could tell me was "Her brother-in-law did something and fixed it."

We can all assume he replaced the hard drive and re-imaged it with a factory restore disk. smile.gif
Hannah
  Posted: Sep 12 2013, 09:57 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

OK, new problem.
I have a Gateway nv51b20u netbook that has a copy of win 7 pro on it.
Can't connect to the internet via ethernet, needs an ethernet driver, as well as a network driver.
Every motherloving driver I've come across and successfully downloaded is not helping. At all. Is it because Im downloading network adaptor drivers? I can't find anything remotely close to what I need. FML

Should I just reinstall win 7 in home edition version, or something else, I done fucked up on this.

This post has been edited by Hibiscus on Sep 12 2013, 09:59 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 12:42 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Hibiscus @ 2 hours, 44 minutes ago)
OK, new problem.
I have a Gateway nv51b20u netbook that has a copy of win 7 pro on it.
Can't connect to the internet via ethernet, needs an ethernet driver, as well as a network driver.
Every motherloving driver I've come across and successfully downloaded is not helping. At all. Is it because Im downloading network adaptor drivers? I can't find anything remotely close to what I need. FML

Should I just reinstall win 7 in home edition version, or something else, I done fucked up on this.

I don't know how you managed to screw up Windows 7, that's a pretty amazing feat... but downloading drivers for that computer on anything except the official Gateway site is asking for trouble. At minimum, a driver that doesn't work with your hardware... but quite possibly delicious viruses and malware to boot. Woo!

So here's the official support page for the computer you specified:

http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3503

I would link you to the correct driver except that you didn't specify x86 or x64, and you didn't tell me what chipset is actually in use. Without these important bits of information my hands are tied beyond just pointing you to that page and saying, "Good luck."

At least you won't get a virus. wink2.gif
Hannah
  Posted: Sep 13 2013, 07:11 AM

Remember Me
Group Icon

It's Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 [this time] 64-bit.
And by chipset, do you mean processor? o.o;;
It's AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65GHz

So far, the ethernet driver was accepted and installed...

aaaaaaaand the wireless network adapter driver is a go!!

....Why the hell didn't this work last night? Mehh, I was probably too stressed to choose the right ones on gateways site from the get go.
Well, thank you so much!! Next time we meet, I will take you out to a fancy steakhouse. <3 <3

This post has been edited by Hibiscus on Sep 13 2013, 07:33 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 12:28 PM

ShiMACHaze

Oh man, that sounds tempting as hell. For your wallet's sake, however, I should inform you that I can easily be bought with Japanese curry. biggrin.gif
Hannah
  Posted: Sep 13 2013, 01:21 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Well get your ass back to the East Coast and we can go to Go! Go! Curry in the city. :3
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 01:24 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Hibiscus @ 2 minutes, 54 seconds ago)
Well get your ass back to the East Coast and we can go to Go! Go! Curry in the city. :3

Yeaaaaaaaah that's probably not gonna happen. One of these days I'll hit up Oswego, NY and Middletown, PA on my whirlwind tour of all things atomic, but other than that I really don't have any attachment nor reason to hit up that side of the country. sad.gif
SgtXDNX
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 05:20 PM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 3 hours, 55 minutes ago)
Yeaaaaaaaah that's probably not gonna happen. One of these days I'll hit up Oswego, NY and Middletown, PA on my whirlwind tour of all things atomic, but other than that I really don't have any attachment nor reason to hit up that side of the country. sad.gif

Road trip? Road trip. laugh.gif
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 06:19 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 4 hours, 54 minutes ago)

N-not even south Florida? I don't live in crazy people country and there are nice beaches near me. Though the latter probably doesn't matter to you.
Hannah
  Posted: Sep 13 2013, 06:32 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

But, bath salts. ;o;
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 07:17 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hibiscus @ 44 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
But, bath salts. ;o;

That's the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. I'm just talking about Geezerville, where I live.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 08:59 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Hibiscus @ 2 hours, 27 minutes ago)
But, bath salts. ;o;

ZAMBIES!!!!!!

Yeah nah guys, I really don't have a reason to be there other than touring nuclear facilities. laugh2.gif
khat17
Posted: Oct 24 2013, 11:09 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

I keep missing out on the fun sad.gif - I need to try and come through more often. Sorry guys sad.gif - but N1 was here to help biggrin.gif
Hannah
  Posted: Jan 14 2014, 02:14 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

OK, again I am in need of a genius.
So I recently bought a RAM upgrade for my netbook, HP mini 311 1000-nr
I got a 2gb 204-pin sodimm ddr3 to replace the base 856mb of RAM it came with, but I really don't think it is being recognized by the OS?? I'm running win xp home edition sp3.
So what my problem is, is the memory even being recognized by the OS???

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
khat17
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 07:28 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Not a genius but I'll try.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=4041554

According to that your base memory from factory is 1GB - the rest is shared memory for the graphics.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-mini-311-10...7-33777308.html

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq...R-upgrades.html

According to the specs it's a single RAM slot and can take a max of 3GB. How exactly that works I don't know, as I've not heard of a single 3GB memory module. Most likely if you buy a 4GB one it's not going to use more than 3GB.

Based on the specifications - PC3-8500 - you need to ensure that the memory you installed meets that. If not chances are it won't boot - or it may boot but not recognize it properly as is probably your case. I'd say check to make sure your RAM is compatible and then buy it. Not all RAM will work with all boards. While you can probably just buy it for your desktop this is not the case with laptops/netbooks as they are a bit more rigid on what you can use.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 14 2014, 08:48 PM

ShiMACHaze

Agreed. I upgraded my Mini 311 to 2GB as well and had no issues. Please note that the 311 has a permanently-affixed 1GB module on the motherboard and an empty slot for up to a 2GB stick, which if inserted would bring the total to 3GB. I have a 1GB in mine, bringing my total to 2GB.

You likely have incompatible RAM if your screenshot is post-installation.
Hannah
  Posted: Jan 15 2014, 01:16 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

The thing is, the only ram I can find is a PC3 10600, not PC3 8500...
And the specs on the crucial.com site specify 1.35v, in which case I believe I have a 1.5v pc3 10600 stick.
In any case, I really don't know if I should continue trying to find a compatible stick or just say "fuck it" and do without. Either way, that's $28 I probably won't be getting back.

Also, on amazon, all the ones that are pc 8500 specify for macbooks and the like. FML

This post has been edited by Hibiscus on Jan 15 2014, 01:21 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 03:26 PM

ShiMACHaze

Thank you for comfirming you have incompatible RAM. As for your 'macbook' ones, as long as the specs on them match the specs for the 311 it doesn't matter. It would just so happen that a Mac's required RAM specs are the same.
Hannah
  Posted: Jan 15 2014, 05:20 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Bawwww... Well, I guess I'll be setting aside some cash next month, then. Thanks Nomake. :3

Or now, even. I know ebay isn't really the way to go, but I can't pass up RAM for $3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-2-GB-SO-DIMM...=item20de1aea4b

Let me know if I should go for it or not. :3

This post has been edited by Hibiscus on Jan 15 2014, 07:17 PM