Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing indescribable (Takeshi Nakazato's Theme)

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 6,528  ·  Replies: 36 
> Why do D1 cars have wings?
sideways
Posted: Jul 25 2009, 05:08 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

Not even from an engineering perspective do wings only produce lift. Its just a shape.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jul 25 2009, 06:43 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (Yoshida Seiji @ 1 hour, 36 minutes ago)
In D1 most cars rarely see the speeds needed for a big ass spoiler like the ones you see on most cars. Granted 90-100mph marks get good use out of those spoilers, but most courses over seas don't see those kind of speeds due to the sizes.

90+ mph speeds get good use out of spoilers when going in a straight line (as aerodynamics doesn't become that huge of an issue until then). But when going around corners, they definitely contribute to enhanced stability. I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but as an example, Motor Trend tested all three '05 Evo models (VIII, MR and RS) against each other, and guess which one had the slowest slalom speed and overall track lap time? The wingless RS. It wasn't as stable around corners as the other winged cars, and it was more likely to have oversteer kick in.
MG starion
Posted: Jul 25 2009, 06:59 PM

IDW Special Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,401

in corners is where you need the downforce but ironicaly the large angles of drift cars puts the wing at an angle that its not desined to work at, hence the different shape of rally car wings compared to touring car and GT wings. i dont follow pro drifting closely enough to know if there using new desings but i know the guy who had the rebadged monaro was using aero aids on the back at one point
sideways
Posted: Jul 25 2009, 07:43 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Some d1 cars do indeed use wings with drifting in mind. Others do not, and simple use it for the looks.
Alex
Posted: Jul 25 2009, 08:23 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

In the guys defense, I'll definitely say this was an ok "necro." Like he said, it wasn't even off the first page yet, he put in good info and sparked good discussion. If there's going to be necro, I can only hope it'll be as good as this.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MattW
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 07:49 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (MG starion @ Jul 25 2009, 09:59 PM)
in corners is where you need the downforce but ironicaly the large angles of drift cars puts the wing at an angle that its not desined to work at, hence the different shape of rally car wings compared to touring car and GT wings. i dont follow pro drifting closely enough to know if there using new desings but i know the guy who had the rebadged monaro was using aero aids on the back at one point

Yes, it had a shitload of plexiglass fins and shit.
S12 Guy
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 11:24 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 33,564

QUOTE (sideways @ Jul 25 2009, 05:08 PM)
Not even from an engineering perspective do wings only produce lift. Its just a shape.

No, an Airfoil is the shape.

Wing and Spoiler are the applications.

@ Generic
Also i just Noticed... D1? which has nothing to do with speed and the car that finishes last in a 20~50 second round in an arena or infield portion of an oval course can still win?....
They have skill yes, but i dont understand the reasoning...
MattW
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 02:35 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (MattW @ Yesterday, 10:49 AM)
Yes, it had a shitload of plexiglass fins and shit.

Here's some of the fins I was talking about.
user posted image
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 05:54 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,634

QUOTE (S12 Guy @ 6 hours, 29 minutes ago)
Also i just Noticed... D1? which has nothing to do with speed and the car that finishes last in a 20~50 second round in an arena or infield portion of an oval course can still win?....

Um, what D1 are you watching?
S12 Guy
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 06:26 AM

IDW Member

the one they used to have on G4/tech TV...that was two years ago or more though...
I haven't had Satellite since then. Anyways it had judges and such. Those who attained the higher drift angles usually one regardless of position...most courses consisted of fewer than 10 turns and were in infield sections of stock car(lol) courses. and it was highly Americanized.

I want to see something else, like racing on The Tail of the Dragon...
Yoshida Seiji
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 09:47 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,634

Dude no one races at Deal's Gap. There's so much police bullshit going on there it's not funny.

The ones on G4 were Formula D.

Formula D =/= D1GP

At any rate, on a pro level in drifting. It doesn't matter who crosses the line first, it's all about who is the better driver and performs the best.

Not to mention, almost all pro drifting consist of only a hand full of turns. Japanese or American.

Trust me on the Deal's Gap thing. It's like a couple hours from my house.
S12 Guy
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 01:40 PM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Yoshida Seiji @ 3 hours, 52 minutes ago)
At any rate, on a pro level in drifting. It doesn't matter who crosses the line first, it's all about who is the better driver and performs the best.

Not to mention, almost all pro drifting consist of only a hand full of turns. Japanese or American.

Trust me on the Deal's Gap thing. It's like a couple hours from my house.

last time i was there, there were plenty of people racing, i should know i was passed upward of 30 times. And i know the cops are all over the place, i have a fuzzbuster (the actual ones) the bulb never went off.
And likewise it is a few hours from my locality as well.

Sorry for the mistake, but i still don't under stand the point. Wasn't it originally persude because drifting was a faster way through the corner with a lower end car? So to have it judged on angle and longevity versus speed confuses me...

But who am i to pass judgment without understanding? I withdraw all previous statements on the matter.

2 Pages  1 2