Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - No Turning Back

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 13,555  ·  Replies: 71 
> Initial D the last of it's kind?
Import_Lexus
  Posted: Apr 29 2015, 04:53 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,550

I remember for sometime many members on here talked about how Initial D was losing popularity and in a way i agree.

In my opinion i think it's because from what I have read, much of the newer upcoming generation doesn't care about cars and they don't know how to drive manual and don't even care to learn and prefer automatic.

For these kind of reasons, do you guys think a show like Initial could happen again in an animated format?

I always wonder, a series like Initial D could technically keep going because there are many different cars to race that they still have not in the series but probably due to low sales they would never consider it?

I don't know, just blabbing here, lets here your thoughts!
Falbere
Posted: Apr 29 2015, 05:01 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

In my country, it is a requirement to know how to drive stick to get a license. Well, Initial D does seem to be slightly more popular here, but it is still pretty much dead. Most of the Japanese Manga/Anime enthusiast/"otaco" community prefer to watch other animes with lots of cute anime girls/oppai/loli/neko ears and so on. Manly anime like Jojo and Dragonball always gets less attention.

This post has been edited by Falbere on Apr 29 2015, 05:04 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
The Sixth Element
Posted: Apr 29 2015, 07:07 AM

matter intangible

Member No.: 44,779

JoJo and DragonBall is still getting more attention. Second Season of Stardust Crusaders, and a new series of Dragonball is being worked on right now. I wouldn't say that "Manly Anime" is losing popularity.
Falbere
Posted: Apr 29 2015, 08:14 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

I am not saying they are dying, I am saying they are getting less notice than the animes with lots of cute girls.
GoP-Demon
Posted: Apr 29 2015, 09:07 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 43,878

QUOTE (Falbere @ 4 hours, 5 minutes ago)
In my country, it is a requirement to know how to drive stick to get a license. Well, Initial D does seem to be slightly more popular here, but it is still pretty much dead. Most of the Japanese Manga/Anime enthusiast/"otaco" community prefer to watch other animes with lots of cute anime girls/oppai/loli/neko ears and so on. Manly anime like Jojo and Dragonball always gets less attention.

China? MY gf had to do her test in manual, but I asked her to drive my car once and she forgot which one was brake and gas.
Falbere
Posted: Apr 29 2015, 05:11 PM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

^ That is impossible. Maybe she bribed her way to get a license.
rknight
Posted: Jun 22 2015, 11:00 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 38,828

QUOTE (Import_Lexus @ Apr 29 2015, 04:53 AM)

In my opinion i think it's because from what I have read, much of the newer upcoming generation doesn't care about cars and they don't know how to drive manual and don't even care to learn and prefer automatic.

I wouldn't say that, given how many different cars are out there, not just JDM, you got US cars, euro cars
so hell yeah, with good writing a show like Initial D can happen again in an animated format.

This post has been edited by rknight on Jun 22 2015, 11:01 AM
Taro Maki
Posted: Jun 23 2015, 02:32 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 33,812

You want a Manga / an Anime for the "Next / New Generation" ?

wink2.gif
Than what about a story of a boy who can surf the Internet faster and post on Boards quicker with his old Tablet-PC than the other Kids with her new I-Pads and I-Phones ?
Maybe we call it " Initial S" ? biggrin.gif
Import_Lexus
  Posted: Jun 23 2015, 05:57 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Taro Maki @ 3 hours, 24 minutes ago)
You want a Manga / an Anime for the "Next / New Generation" ?

wink2.gif
Than what about a story of a boy who can surf the Internet faster and post on Boards quicker with his old Tablet-PC than the other Kids with her new I-Pads and I-Phones ?
Maybe we call it " Initial S" ? biggrin.gif

Sounds amazing!
haha kind of funny people are becoming like zombies and are always glued to technology
White Comet
Posted: Jun 23 2015, 11:02 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 45,020

Hello!

I think the problem is that the whole Initial D is based too much on Japanese Cars, if you don´t like Japan and their Cars you won´t be satisfied with it. For me Initial d is the best series in the whole World.

I grown up in Europe you have to now to drive manual haha. Also i drive about 70 000km every with manual.

I think kids nowadays like more to have a new phone as a great car. But i can understand them, here in europe owning a car is expensive, also taxes and gas are expensive too.

But i hope with thoose new movies Initial D will bea lot more Popular wink2.gif

Tessou
Posted: Jun 23 2015, 01:56 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (White Comet @ 2 hours, 54 minutes ago)
But i hope with thoose new movies Initial D will bea lot more Popular wink2.gif

I don't think the movies are doing anything to bring in new fans. They are a good nostalgia trip for existing fans.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
KnightRiderXD
Posted: Jun 23 2015, 06:35 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 43,833

There are many "kids" who like cars but as you say not so many like before 15-20 years! There is many reasons that these happens,according to my opinion...
A)A Good Car nowadays is Expensive...You need to pay taxis,pay for gas,do a good service once in a year or so,repair it if necessary and so much more...Because there is no work for young people (they can't find to work very easily), a car is like a dream!
B)The amount of "idiot" people to the road...I don't know for other countries but where i leave there are so many many bad drivers!For me this is a reason that i don't want to "hit" the roads rather than buy a car to do it...But i do it because YOLO! (and i like to drive)...An example to see that people who shouldn't be driving because not only for skills but they don't have common sense to drive is the show : Canada's Worst Driver (search it on Youtube)...OMG my eyes with those people at that show!
C)If you live in a big city where traffic jams are common and very big,it's much faster to go with the Metro or with TRAM etc.. + If you go with these you don't have to look for a parking spot which can be take from 5 minutes to 30 minutes... So you are not stressing out at the big traffic jam and just relaxed waiting for the Metro (they are passing through very common) while listening to some Eurobeats! laugh2.gif

So why kids should learn how to drive when they can't buy and maintenance a car,drive without worry about the 95year grandpa who still is driving while he can't see from the one eye and stressed out to a stupid traffic jam?
My answer is: That kids who like driving and watching films,anime with driving as a "main subject" is because they naturally love cars......
Tessou
Posted: Jun 23 2015, 10:48 PM

Group Icon

There are plenty of great cars a teenager could buy with a bit of saving. A year's wages of a common grocery bagger could buy a decent car.
KnightRiderXD
Posted: Jun 24 2015, 07:03 PM

IDW Member

Because I'm a teenager,I can "see" better how teenagers really think...They more cared to take a new phone or a new electronic device rather than take a new car due to less money and they are kind of "no waiting" people,so if they can't buy the car tomorrow they spend the money at something else!If they are not real car enthusiasts then they will buy a car and learn how to drive when they really need to drive (like 25-30 years old)....
Import_Lexus
  Posted: Jun 26 2015, 05:46 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (KnightRiderXD @ Jun 24 2015, 07:03 PM)
Because I'm a teenager,I can "see" better how teenagers really think...They more cared to take a new phone or a new electronic device rather than take a new car due to less money and they are kind of "no waiting" people,so if they can't buy the car tomorrow they spend the money at something else!If they are not real car enthusiasts then they will buy a car and learn how to drive when they really need to drive (like 25-30 years old)....

Yep, I agree with that. In 2008, when i was in my last year of high school, we had a small crew of people with cars and who shared the passion....but literally the next year there was only 2 guys with cars.

Now it seems like nobody has there own cars anymore and teens are losing interest in cars.

Same reason why we see such a boom in automatic cars. People don't want to even bother learning standard.
KnightRiderXD
Posted: Jun 26 2015, 11:49 AM

IDW Member

QUOTE (Import_Lexus @ 6 hours, 2 minutes ago)
Same reason why we see such a boom in automatic cars. People don't want to even bother learning standard.

Yeah man because some people want a car to go from point A to point B and they don't want to "involve" much with the driving thing...Extra TIP:If you know how to drive manual and you live at USA,buy manual car!If a thief try to steal it simply he can't...It's the ultimate anti-theft mechanism at USA! laugh2.gif

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b04YW3r5xhg )
rx7_guy
Posted: Jun 27 2015, 01:20 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 24,045

Initial D is old and is for a specific type of crowd.

The best reason I can describe why in the US initial is not as big now is simply because the car market has changed A LOT. Individuals are now into the latest thing because.... its the thing to do. In Japan you have a large and strong market in every sector of hobbies...while in the US businesses of the same market struggle because majority of the population follows the masses.

I went to an arcade in japan.....you actually had to rent racing gloves and racing shoes. They had a coffee table with the newest car racing magazines. They had time trials and teams. Some customers had their own racing gear and remember this is a hole in the wall arcade in Aki. That passion hardly exist in the US.

When Legends came out they had a big event at Tokyo Teleport. Drift events and sit in with drivers. Things for all ages and genders. It was done very nicely. racing games set up for kids.

I hardly see that in the US.. Its about selling the newest car with is mostly FWD anyway.

Asian culture is more attached to the their roots and even though some people may not like the new episodes of Initial D. In Japan the fans pay to see the movies and go to the events and most don't even own a car. You'll see just as many women in the movies watching legends as guys.

GoP-Demon
Posted: Jun 27 2015, 08:24 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 43,878

A lot of this seems anecdotal. There's always stories of Japanese kids not caring about cars as well. I think you have to look at the right area or scene for cars. Even at the economy. Most kids seem to love Tesla though...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
The Sixth Element
Posted: Jun 30 2015, 10:49 PM

matter intangible

Member No.: 44,779

To make Initial D relevant today is to continually move forward. Initial D pandered to people who were teenagers during the 90s while kids born during the 90s won't know and it would relate to them. What we do need to get kids these days into cars would be something like Fast and Furious. Initial D is the past and nothing in the present would be like Initial D. If I shared out my idea, I would make an Manga/Anime about Lewis Hamilton or Ayton Senna while being in Japan.
sushiyummy32
Posted: Aug 25 2015, 03:10 AM

DotA Kiwi

Member No.: 45,824

17 year old "kid" here. The reason not to drive stick is because when you get your first car you dont want to be stalled in the middle of the road and secondly with your parent's cars being automatic you are going to borrow their car instead of buying one. i think initial D is the last of its kind (unless wangan is really similar) because of its old animation style and it was released back in 1995 so you shouldnt be surprised its lost traction. i would love to drive stick except we dont have a manual car sitting around and noone is going to teach me (maybe when im older i will bother).
Spaz
Posted: Aug 25 2015, 09:21 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The only way to learn is to make mistakes, including stalling out a manual car in the middle of an intersection.

Look at it this way, would you rather be a kid stalling out that car, or a grown adult? It only gets more embarrassing as you get older.
RalliKai
Posted: Aug 25 2015, 11:54 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

QUOTE (Spaz @ 2 hours, 32 minutes ago)
The only way to learn is to make mistakes, including stalling out a manual car in the middle of an intersection.

Look at it this way, would you rather be a kid stalling out that car, or a grown adult? It only gets more embarrassing as you get older.

Lol, did exactly that when I was still very new to manual, and with a couple dudes in Harley's approaching behind no less.

What Spaz said though. Also, that's what vacant parking lots are for.

As for ID. I think the story has dried out more or less for me. The plot to the 4th and 5th Stages didn't hold my interest as the early series' were able to, poor 90s animation or not.

This post has been edited by RalliKai on Aug 25 2015, 11:57 AM
Tessou
Posted: Aug 25 2015, 02:59 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (sushiyummy32 @ Today, 7:10 AM)
17 year old "kid" here. The reason not to drive stick is because when you get your first car you dont want to be stalled in the middle of the road and secondly with your parent's cars being automatic you are going to borrow their car instead of buying one.

Oh man, a stalled car in the middle of the road? Perhaps if I just engaged the clutch, start the car, and put it in gear, I could solve that earth-shattering problem.

Wanna learn clutch REAL easily? Find a buddy with a motorcycle (cheaper than cars) and ask to fling it around a parking lot for an hour. The same concept applies.
sushiyummy32
Posted: Aug 25 2015, 04:08 PM

DotA Kiwi

Member No.: 45,824

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 8 minutes ago)
Oh man, a stalled car in the middle of the road? Perhaps if I just engaged the clutch, start the car, and put it in gear, I could solve that earth-shattering problem.

Wanna learn clutch REAL easily? Find a buddy with a motorcycle (cheaper than cars) and ask to fling it around a parking lot for an hour. The same concept applies.

the closest thing i can get to a motorcycle here is a moped unless i have a motorcycle license. sure i can go drive a manual car but i cant drive by myself until i have my full license which takes 2 years from your learners. you can drive an automatic which takes 6 months from my learners.
Tessou
Posted: Aug 25 2015, 06:05 PM

Group Icon

Who said anything about a license? I suggested practicing in a parking lot, not public roads.

Be proactive. Less "woe is me" and more "where can I get this done?"

3 Pages  1 2 3