Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Control Your Body

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 20,270  ·  Replies: 166 
> Anime and Manga Recommendations Thread, *See Title*
APX
Posted: Jan 24 2007, 10:29 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,473

Pfff, some good animes.

Cowboy Bebop - I mean... cowboy bebop.. 'nuff said.

Samurai Champloo - Same man who made Cowboy Bebop. Samurai's,Ass kicking, Hip Hop music?! (made me love it even more) And the ending is alot different then Bebop.

FLCL - Short, only 6 episodes, A great anime in my eyes. It's funny, kinda of a love story (thats what I think) and of course, crazy ass monsters coming out of a kids head.

Thats all I can think of right now... wub.gif
bROCKoLEE
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 04:33 AM

whut?

Member No.: 6,453

QUOTE (haspieuw @ Today at 1:54 PM)
Code Geass ... perhaps
its quite popular now

QUOTE (awdrifter @ Today at 5:12 PM)
Sci-fi - definitely check out Code Geass.
Crime fiction - Black Lagoon!
Suspense - Higurashi

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be sure to check out Code Geass smile.gif
Higurashi and Black Lagoon I've already seen though. Both of which i highly recommended too! wink2.gif

But no ones got anything on Time Traveling? sad.gif
I've already seen Nadesico, which has got abit of time traveling and is also one of my all time favourite anime btw happy.gif

Maybe something cyberpunk instead then, anything similar to Ghost in the Shell and The Matrix...? =/
Tofik
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 06:51 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,606

^
bROCKoLEE, check out Infinite Ryvius, i'm pretty sure you will like it.

QUOTE (bROCKoLEE)

Maybe something cyberpunk instead then, anything similar to Ghost in the Shell and The Matrix...? =/

When you mentioned "The Matrix", i suppose you meant "The Animatrix"? Anyway if you want some cyberpunk, well i know some good shows: Armitage, Serial Experiments Lain (cyberpunk classics), Ergo Proxy ('06 nice & fresh), Texhnolyze (this one is very depressing).

This post has been edited by Tofik on Jan 25 2007, 06:56 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 07:45 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (bROCKoLEE @ Today at 7:33 AM)
But no ones got anything on Time Traveling? sad.gif
I've already seen Nadesico, which has got abit of time traveling and is also one of my all time favourite anime btw happy.gif

As I mentioned previously, Noein features "time traveling", and it also has some, interesting animation, character designs kind of hint at a reference to Go Nagai's character designs.
DALAZ_68
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 08:52 AM

][0 I M ][o -O- Meter

Member No.: 8,512

one anime iv been suprisingly enjoyin is yu yu hakusho, old as hell ( i think 92-94 ish) but still a great anime, and Samurai Champloo (sp)

both awsome
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
awdrifter
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 10:24 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 15,255

If you like cyber stuff, check out Baldr Force EXE. It's an OVA, there are some mech battles in the wired world (online) and the music are pretty good. Especially the OP and ED. The OP is sung by Kotoko.

QUOTE (Summary from ANN)
Based on the game by GIGA.

Any network runs all over the world, and the development of the information network reaches its acme. In this age, there are two developed worlds; “the real world” and “wired”, or the virtual network world.

Soma Toru belongs to a hacking group, Steppen Wolf, which runs around the network world freely. They attack the database of the UN forces as their last work. During this attack, he loses Nonomura Yuya, his friend as well as the team leader. Toru is arrested by the army. In exchange for letting him free, he has to work for an anti-hacker organization, the first squad of the UN Security Force Information Administration Bureau.

Working for them, he is looking for the person who killed his friend, while the other members also have their own reason to fight.

The three-way fights of the terrorist group, the security enterprise, and the army, continue every day. The various events occurred during the fight seem to be independent of each other at the first glance, but they’re converging on one event as if they were attracted by something.

(from ANN)
?wha?
Posted: Jan 25 2007, 11:55 PM

In sexy black'n gold :D

Member No.: 5,914

From what I've watched recently, I'd have to recommend in order

1. Ouran High school Host club: This is quite the original story, and i've seen many female friends go absolutely nuts at the very merest mention of it

2. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu: Comes in a very close second. weird and enjoyable beyond its own right

3. Shakugan no Shana: Another rather original story, complete with monsters, alter existences and one badass flaming girl

4. Azumanga Daioh: the sheer simplicity of this show makes this really enjoyable. even the most simple things seem so hilarious
bROCKoLEE
Posted: Jan 26 2007, 04:45 AM

whut?

Sweet! Thanks a lot guys! XD

- Code Geass
- Infinite Ryvius
- Armitage, Serial Experiments Lain
- Ergo Proxy
- Texhnolyze
- Noein
- Baldr Force EXE

That should keep me occupied for awhile happy.gif

Another great anime that i'd recommend if you're into the whole romance genre would be Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora or Hantsuki for short. An awesome 6 episode love series with an equally awesome op and ed theme, check out the thread here smile.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 26 2007, 01:11 PM

Time for BOZZ to list some of his personal recommendations (in no order currently):

Kanon 2006
Air
Da Capo and Da Capo Second Season
Gundam 0079 (Movies)
Zeta Gundam
Victory Gundam
F91 Gundam
SDF-1 Macross
Macross Zero
Sousei no Aquarion
School Rumble
Berserk
Higurashi naku koro ni
Negima!?
Hajime no Ippo
Rahxephon
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Green Green
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
School Rumble
Azumanga Daioh
Planetes
Speed Grapher
Chrono Crusade
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 26 2007, 03:17 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (I am the BOZZ @ Today at 4:11 PM)
Time for BOZZ to list some of his personal recommendations (in no order currently):

Gundam 0079 (Movies)
F91 Gundam

I have to interject, here. Weren't the 0079 movies the definition of "scrapped together?" Like, almost as bad as the Zeta movies?

And F91 was terrible. They shouldn't have cut out that huge piece in the middle. Seriously, cutting out a huge chunk of plot leaves viewers confused as to what's going on. Bad Sunrise, bad!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 26 2007, 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 6:17 PM)
I have to interject, here. Weren't the 0079 movies the definition of "scrapped together?" Like, almost as bad as the Zeta movies?

And F91 was terrible. They shouldn't have cut out that huge piece in the middle. Seriously, cutting out a huge chunk of plot leaves viewers confused as to what's going on. Bad Sunrise, bad!

Not entirely sure how much they cut, but for the most part they kept most of the important, and relevant, events from the TV series intact in the movies. Also, in North America, the movies were the only Original Gundam that was released with Japanese audio, sorry but I prefer my Shuuichi Ikeda to David Lucas (even if he did Keisuke in the Initial D dub tongue.gif).

F91 wasn't terrible, it was just a lot of wiggling from Bandai/Sunrise. It was originally supposed to be a 50+ episode TV series, then down to a 12-episode OVA then into one movie. So yeah, it's pretty much a super condensed movie, I personally liked it since it launched Crossbone Gundam.
Tofik
Posted: Jan 27 2007, 08:49 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,606

Hey BOZZ, is there any reason for you to mention School Rumble twice in your list? laugh.gif Yes, yes, i know it's god damn funny! XD

And here i'd like to pay your attention to another very very funy OVA serie: Golden Boy. It made me ROFL, seriously! For all of you seinen comedy lovers this thing must be seen!

This post has been edited by Tofik on Jan 27 2007, 08:51 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 27 2007, 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Tofik @ Today at 11:49 AM)
Hey BOZZ, is there any reason for you to mention School Rumble twice in your list? laugh.gif Yes, yes, i know it's god damn funny! XD

And here i'd like to pay your attention to another very very funy OVA serie: Golden Boy. It made me ROFL, seriously! For all of you seinen comedy lovers this thing must be seen!

Nope, just a typo, once I got my database up on the animes I got, I'll recommend some more.
ChaosAngel
Posted: Jan 27 2007, 02:21 PM

IDW Spartan #6

Member No.: 22,883

i'll say bleach, death note, Maburaho, gundam(still think its good if u havent seen it), naruto is getting boring n my friend says theres a new anime called kanon tahts like ranked 1 recently

This post has been edited by ChaosAngel on Jan 27 2007, 02:22 PM
bROCKoLEE
Posted: Jan 27 2007, 03:14 PM

whut?

^ Kanon is in fact very popular atm, but i wouldn't go as far as to say ranked no.1, since there's really nothing to back up that statement just yet...
*ehem*haruhi*ehem* lol =P
But make sure to not confuse the 2006 remake, that's airing now, with the 2002 version made by Toei Animation, as most consider them totally different works altogether wink2.gif
It's a very well-done show so far imo (talking about the 2006 remake btw), but i'll keep my comments to just that, as I don't really like commenting on shows that havn't already finished their run yet, unless of courses it's one of those uber long shonen shows (eg: One Piece, Naruto and Bleach) lol =P
So yea you can give Kanon a go if you want, especially if you're looking for a drama that'll really hit the spot, and a bit of comedy on the side just to balance it out a little.
But if you're into the whole action-packed, Shonen type shows.... then maybe not so much lol =P

QUOTE (Tofik @ Today at 3:49 AM)

hahaha Golden Boy, as the name suggest is in fact absolute GOLD! It's just so damn funny! laugh.gif Highly recommended by me too, but be warned! There's a crapload of ecchiness in it too, heck i think the manga it was based turned on into an adults only one only after a few volumes tongue.gif

But if you're really looking for a laugh, then you should definitely give Cromartie High School a go, if you havn't already. Just basically about a high school filled with nothing but delinquents and parodies all those old 70's and 80's Shonen shows, sometimes even itself too! If this doesn't crack you up, then you're seriously one tough customer laugh.gif

However if you're a sucker for 'cute girls, doing cute things', then you should probably give Ichigo Mashimaro a go first. It's very similar to Azumanga, so if you've enjoyed that, even better! wink2.gif

This post has been edited by bROCKoLEE on Jan 27 2007, 03:42 PM
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 27 2007, 05:02 PM

I should have my final list available (with genres and everything) in about a few hours.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 12:19 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (bROCKoLEE @ Yesterday at 6:14 PM)
^ Kanon is in fact very popular atm, but i wouldn't go as far as to say ranked no.1, since there's really nothing to back up that statement just yet...
*ehem*haruhi*ehem* lol =P

Not according to Newtype magazine. According to that, most popular in Japan are currently:

1: Code Geass
2: Gundam SEED Destiny
3: Haruhi
16: Kanon 2006
ChaosAngel
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 12:33 AM

IDW Spartan #6

Gundam Seed Destiny??? isnt tat old now??
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 02:08 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 3:19 AM)
Not according to Newtype magazine. According to that, most popular in Japan are currently:

1: Code Geass
2: Gundam SEED Destiny
3: Haruhi
16: Kanon 2006

Bah, Gundam Seed Destiny is #2? Guess people don't care about characterization and plot when you got big explosions, superhuman pilots and re-use footage... ><
ChaosAngel
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 02:52 PM

IDW Spartan #6

i reckon gundam plot was pretty good but yea the re-use footage, u just see the same ship exploding over n over again
haspieuw
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 02:59 PM

IDW Lurker

Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (ChaosAngel @ Today at 2:52 PM)
i reckon gundam plot was pretty good but yea the re-use footage, u just see the same ship exploding over n over again

the first half was very good , i thought it was a great sequel to the original SEED
till the JEsus yamato ruined everything with her pink princess
damn you kira fanboys sad.gif
Solid Snake
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 04:14 PM

A Legend in my Own Mind

Member No.: 599

*Well, my number one anime of recommendation would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1 and 2. It's got all of that futuristic cool about it and it messes with your head alittle, but it all comes together in the end. The music is top notch and the animation for the most part is pretty good. Also, the Ghost in the Shell movies are nice and almost art like in presentation.
*My second recommendation would be RahXephon to get your giant robot fix. It has great music, a great story and well done animation. There is also a RahXephon movie that is more of a retelling of the TV series, but there are some changes in the story and some of the characters are missing, but it's really good, too.
*My Third recommendation would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. This is another good giant robot action tv series with nice artwork. The only downside is that there are so many questions left unanswered and there's no definite ending to the series. The plus side is, there's a wealth of info about speculations of what was what in the series, and 4 new movies are being made as I write this and one of them will be coming out this year, and they promised that they wouldn't mess with the viewers heads and just tell the story with an actual ending. So it's more of a retelling of the series the way the creator really wanted it to happen.
My Fourth is alittle wierd and I'm not sure what genre is falls in. It's basically what you'd get if you merged Pinnochio with a robot anime and Idol singer movie. It's called Key the Metal Idol. It's about a girl who thinks she's a robot and moves to Tokyo after her grandfather's murder. She then see's Japan's most popular Idol singer, Miho Utsuse on a tv in a video rental store and wants to become a star just like her. It starts of kind of wierd and well get wierder, but I liked it for some reason.
*This one, in my opinion is one of the best robot anime's of all time. Macross. It has jet fighters that fly through space and turn into robots. It's a giant robot space drama. There's 36 episodes and came out in the mid 80's. I sudgest the Japanese version cause the Japanese voice actors gave it a certain atmosphere that the english voice actors didn't portray. The US version was called Robotech, the first 36 episodes were from Macross and the other 40 something episodes were from two other that were not part of the macross storyline, but had similar transforming vehicles and stuff. Robotech was awesome, though, even with the English voice acting and the slight editing of nudity and what not, but it doesn't take away from the show. There was also a Macross Movie called "Macross: Do You Remember Love". You can find bootlegs of it on Ebay that are fansubbed, but you can't find it sold new in the US anymore. Macross: DYRL was a retelling of the TV series, but it's all new animation and a slightly cooler look. The "Bad Guys" of the anime got a complete makeover for the movie as well. I'd watch the TV series and then the movie if you choose to watch this anime.
*My Fifth recommendation is Cowboy Bebop. This one also had a few open ended questions at the end of the anime, but when it was made, that was the cool thing to do, leave things up in the air. This anime was well drawn and had awesome music. The composer's name is Yoko Kanno. She also did music for GitS:SAC, Macross Pluss and Plus II, Wolf's Rain, RahXephon and Escaflowne just to name a few. This anime is a space drama and it's done in an artsy way with unique characters and fun adventures. There's also a movie that doesn't seem to really fit with the TV series.

I haven't really seen a lot of anime. My collection is pretty big, but there are a lot more out there. These are my recommendations from what I have seen.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
ChaosAngel
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 09:33 PM

IDW Spartan #6

i reackon Neon Genesis Evangelion was like a copy of gundam (i havent watched it but u just see pplz piloting these big machines), i wnan watch kanon......anyone know wher ei can dl it?
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 28 2007, 09:43 PM

QUOTE (ChaosAngel @ Today at 12:33 AM)
i reackon Neon Genesis Evangelion was like a copy of gundam (i havent watched it but u just see pplz piloting these big machines), i wnan watch kanon......anyone know wher ei can dl it?

You're thinking of the wrong Tomino-direct anime, you're thinking Space Runaway Ideon... tongue.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 29 2007, 12:22 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (ChaosAngel @ Today at 12:33 AM)
(i havent watched it but u just see pplz piloting these big machines)

Biggest. Misunderstanding. In the history of forever.

It's in the "Giant Robot" genre, sure. But Gundam and Eva are NOTHING ALIKE. Be a little more open-minded--the "Giant Robot" genre is vast and unique. There's one end with Evangelion, one with Gundam and Macross, one with Kannazuki no Miko and GaoGaiGar...

Check it out. You'll see what I mean when I say you're making a gigantic overgeneralization.

7 Pages  1 2 3 4 »