Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Powerful T. - Blood and Fire

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 2,801  ·  Replies: 35 
> Anti-TokyoPop, The Westernizers will die..
RagingDragon
  Posted: Jan 23 2005, 12:07 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,126

This topic is for those who think that Tokyopop has disgraced the anime/manga community by westernizing original formats of most anime series..(ie: Initial D..) Feel free to share your words about TokyoPop. I understand that they do it to make it more suitable for children.. but.. c'mon..
Evolution
Posted: Jan 23 2005, 12:08 PM

Moo!!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 657

Tokyopop didn't mess up all anime/manga that they brought to the US. They did a pretty good job with GTO.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
r3d$unz
Posted: Jan 23 2005, 12:17 PM

GRRRR...YO! Apachai daio~!!

Member No.: 1,533

i second that tokyopop is one large company with a large number of departments that probably work on different mangas the I.D dept was prolly the gay dept stuck with folks tht wear tight tees and goatees lol
RagingDragon
  Posted: Jan 23 2005, 01:40 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 5,126

Tokyopop didn't mess up all anime/manga that they brought to the US

Well I didn't say all anime, but they did somewhat change most popular mangas. Eh.. just the whole ID thing, sorry.

This post has been edited by RagingDragon on Jan 23 2005, 01:42 PM
Slade
Posted: Jan 23 2005, 01:54 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 3,304

QUOTE (Evolution @ Jan 23 2005, 01:08 PM)
Tokyopop didn't mess up all anime/manga that they brought to the US. They did a pretty good job with GTO.

happy.gif Yeah I agree Tokyoppo didnt mess up GTO that bad,I liked his voice actor to,the only thing they messed was InitialD
prissandthehighwaystar
Posted: Jan 24 2005, 10:24 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 4,441

I don't understand why people are so hard on TokyoPop. I have seen worse. Look at early ADVision (or ADV's recent BGC2040), MangaCorp was always horrible. Most of these companies get better with age and a better fan following.
DriftSkillz2k5
Posted: Jan 24 2005, 01:33 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 5,083

very true evo. they messed up initial D, but that dosent mean ther SO horrible. you guys have to think about that aswell.
MidnightViper88
Posted: Jan 24 2005, 04:47 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

OK, you can cut this whole TokyoPop bullshit now...So what if they bastardize it and you don't like it? Don't buy their shit then! I'm sure there are other people that would shell out their money for them (If we're talking mainly Initial D here), but that doesn't mean you're being put under a trance to buy their ID DVDs or anything...

I'm just tired of this stupid anti-TP movement already...Quite frankly, overall, I like TP's selection of manga titles...I don't buy very many of the anime titles they hold, and I don't judge them by Initial D alone either...
FlipMode804
Posted: Jan 24 2005, 05:11 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 3,338

QUOTE (MidnightViper88 @ Jan 24 2005, 04:47 PM)
OK, you can cut this whole TokyoPop bullshit now...So what if they bastardize it and you don't like it? Don't buy their shit then! I'm sure there are other people that would shell out their money for them (If we're talking mainly Initial D here), but that doesn't mean you're being put under a trance to buy their ID DVDs or anything...

I'm just tired of this stupid anti-TP movement already...Quite frankly, overall, I like TP's selection of manga titles...I don't buy very many of the anime titles they hold, and I don't judge them by Initial D alone either...

Yeah that's a good point. Sure they did stuff to ID that fans don't like, but one anime series doesn't define a distributing company. I still buy TP manga, mainly their Battle Royale series(have all ten released and plan to get the last three as they come out).
GAARA
Posted: Jan 24 2005, 06:12 PM

UFC Light Heavyweight Champ, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson!!!

Member No.: 2,633

QUOTE (Evolution @ Jan 23 2005, 12:08 PM)

I agree that Tokyopop didn't really mess up GTO, since I only have access to the Tokyopop version I watched it and liked it. I dont have much access to the original versions so I watch the westernized versions and all I have say is that I'm glad that they did it because it makes me want to watch the original even more. Like Full Metal Alchemist for example, I have heard so much about it but did not get to see it until it was on Cartoon Network, now I want to watch the original version even more. Good thing for me the video store I go to has this pretty big anime section that includes both original japanese version DVD's and the DVD's released by American companies. grin2.gif
Firthy-EJ9
Posted: Jan 25 2005, 01:04 PM

Firthy-EJ9

Member No.: 5,039

For the purist I can see why they complain about the ID translation. (Mainly their names) but if you read the manga and/or you have watched the original Jap versions it is a nice accompanyment to have as it makes iteasier watching!
CrypticApathy
Posted: Jan 29 2005, 11:14 AM

OH SNAP!

Member No.: 1,065

gaara what store is that , do they have a website?

BTW i dont think tokyopop really messed with the manga's story except the name change. hell im reading a few manga stories from them now, Like Rebirth and Trigun and hellsing. ( i read them faster then they put them out sad.gif ) They just suck when it came to the videos. Personally i dont buy animes from stores to often i usually order them and get a bootleg or something.
DRFT AE86
Posted: Jan 30 2005, 05:58 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,797

It's the point of whether, we buy their stuff or not. If it came to the point where toyko pop was distrubing their version of ID into the western world...thats fine. But to have a contract for someone like spike tv network or cartoon network and have the american people see a version of initial d that we (Initial d fans) have a problem with is my problem. I want people to see initial d, in an uncut version. I don't want to hear.....

"hey, have you heard of initial d? Im not a big fan of it, I don't like Tak (Takumi) or Iggy (Itsuki)"

Iggy (Itsuki)? ARE YOU SERIOUS???.......I love initial d to death and probably the only reason some of my friends who are american watched it is wasn't in main stream cartoon babble yet in the american tv culture. I mean He was very pushed away from the DBZ cult craze and alot of people (including him) started to see a narrowmind view of anime itself. It's not until recently, I have to break it into him and how he's starting to understand and have an open mind. Now, Im not saying thats what toyko pop is completely doing. I just don't want SOME other company influencing a show like Initial D in a negative way where people actually pushed and have a ignorant view of the show because of one's company attempt to bring it over.

I mean, let's say...you loved i don't know....LOTR and it was only in japan and then company wants to bring it to america, they change it up. This includes, the names and addes weird stuff special effects stuff and then try to show on National television and because of they attempt, the entire country sees a crappy version of your favorite movie. I mean the first thing you must be thinking when you are trying to defend your movie is "you saw a crappy version".

I don't know.....Toyko pop and release their dvd version is fine. Im just going pretend they are a fan sub / fan dub group who blows chunks at life. But for them to have to on national televison for everyone to see OVER and OVER and OVER.....GOD!!! HELP!!

The_Shoe
Posted: Feb 1 2005, 12:42 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 5,332

I hate tokyopop for what they have done to Initial D.. this is unforgivable (my opinion)

But i'd have to admit... not all things by Tokyopop are bad.. the manga are good... but they do make it more american-ish... which kinda wrecks the whole Japanese style put in the manga that may have taken ages to make.
GAARA
Posted: Feb 4 2005, 04:34 PM

UFC Light Heavyweight Champ, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson!!!

Member No.: 2,633

QUOTE (CrypticApathy @ Jan 29 2005, 11:14 AM)
gaara what store is that , do they have a website?

BTW i dont think tokyopop really messed with the manga's story except the name change. hell im reading a few manga stories from them now, Like Rebirth and Trigun and hellsing. ( i read them faster then they put them out sad.gif ) They just suck when it came to the videos. Personally i dont buy animes from stores to often i usually order them and get a bootleg or something.

Well the place I go to is a video store to rent them in Santa Ana, CA(O.C. area)
Kakashi
Posted: Feb 4 2005, 05:38 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 4,514

Crappy translated books and crap quality DVD's (3 episodes for $20?) Worst anime company out there. (shoen jump is the best, they didn't change any names or anything in the prince of tennis manga)

How do you like my sig?
Evolution
Posted: Feb 4 2005, 05:59 PM

Moo!!

Member No.: 657

QUOTE (Kakashi @ Feb 4 2005, 08:38 PM)
Crappy translated books and crap quality DVD's (3 episodes for $20?)

Thats the same in Japan. Most of the dvds of anime have 3 episodes of anime on each and it's about the same price too.
azenis
Posted: Feb 16 2005, 08:28 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 5,531

Hi I am new to this board and have a few tokyopop dvds of initial d, cos thats all we have in australia. it has the "classic" and "tricked out" versions. Is the Classic version totally original or does it still have differences to the original? I have noticed the tricked out version is quite different, as is the book...

We only have about 8 or 9 discs released here so far, so I guess I am a LONG way behind in the story...
MidnightViper88
Posted: Feb 17 2005, 04:53 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

From what I've seen, Classic has original Japanese language with subtitles, and the original soundtrack...Tricked Out is English dubbed with a different soundtrack...
dmhc69
Posted: Feb 23 2005, 10:53 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 5,199

QUOTE (azenis @ Feb 17 2005, 02:28 PM)
Hi I am new to this board and have a few tokyopop dvds of initial d, cos thats all we have in australia.  it has the "classic" and "tricked out" versions.  Is the Classic version totally original or does it still have differences to the original?  I have noticed the tricked out version is quite different, as is the book...

We only have about 8 or 9 discs released here so far, so I guess I am a LONG way behind in the story...

hey, im in australia also, and honestly, if you want to really experience the "real initial D" (ie. episodes not even touched by Tokyopop) you'll need to either download them, or buy them from stores such as jackadeal.com or yesasia.com (listed at the top of the forums)

i personally downloaded them, and even after watching the so called "original" editions of the episodes from Tokyopop, im pretty sure i still see things missing... i cant remember WHAT exactly, as the copy of the episodes werent mine, and i only watched it a few times, but im pretty sure they missed something -- the subs, thankfully, were pretty well done

in terms of storyline, yes, you are way behind tongue.gif -- but never fear! getting yourself one of those sweet bundle packs from those sites mentioned above will set you up straight into getting the fourth stage... its a really good idea, and you should really consider it, as the prices per dvd are just atrocious down here, not to mention it'll take probably until near the end of this year until we even start to hear the 3rd stage movie (my prediction of Tokyopop)

This post has been edited by dmhc69 on Feb 23 2005, 10:57 PM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 24 2005, 06:48 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Kakashi @ Feb 4 2005, 08:38 PM)
Crappy translated books and crap quality DVD's (3 episodes for $20?) Worst anime company out there. (shoen jump is the best, they didn't change any names or anything in the prince of tennis manga)

How do you like my sig?

QUOTE (azenis @ Feb 17 2005, 02:28 PM)
Hi I am new to this board and have a few tokyopop dvds of initial d, cos thats all we have in australia.  it has the "classic" and "tricked out" versions.  Is the Classic version totally original or does it still have differences to the original?  I have noticed the tricked out version is quite different, as is the book...

hey, im in australia also, and honestly, if you want to really experience the "real initial D" (ie. episodes not even touched by Tokyopop) you'll need to either download them, or buy them from stores such as jackadeal.com or yesasia.com (listed at the top of the forums)

i personally downloaded them, and even after watching the so called "original" editions of the episodes from Tokyopop, im pretty sure i still see things missing... i cant remember WHAT exactly, as the copy of the episodes werent mine, and i only watched it a few times, but im pretty sure they missed something -- the subs, thankfully, were pretty well done

in terms of storyline, yes, you are way behind tongue.gif -- but never fear! getting yourself one of those sweet bundle packs from those sites mentioned above will set you up straight into getting the fourth stage... its a really good idea, and you should really consider it, as the prices per dvd are just atrocious down here, not to mention it'll take probably until near the end of this year until we even start to hear the 3rd stage movie (my prediction of Tokyopop)

Ummm... 3 episodes on DVD for 20$ is a decent price... I think the only other anime company that has a better episode to price ratio is Bandai... ADV and Geneon are more expensive...

Oh and as for 3rd Stage... The dub was done in 2003... As it was shown at the New York Big Apple Anime Fest...
dmhc69
Posted: Feb 24 2005, 09:03 PM

IDW Goldmember

Ummm... 3 episodes on DVD for 20$ is a decent price... I think the only other anime company that has a better episode to price ratio is Bandai... ADV and Geneon are more expensive...

is that $20 USD or $20 AUD? last i remember, these dvds debuted with a $39.99 AUD pricetag, which is far from fair (if you ask me anyway... maybe im just a cheapskate laugh.gif )

Oh and as for 3rd Stage... The dub was done in 2003... As it was shown at the New York Big Apple Anime Fest...

well i had no idea about that tongue.gif... but when i said "it'll take probably until near the end of this year until we even start to hear the 3rd stage movie", i meant for it to be released through tokyopop onto DVD
Kurama408
Posted: Feb 24 2005, 09:18 PM

Mada Mada Dane

Member No.: 1,740

i'm not against tokyopop but I think the prices are just way too high for my taste....I mean even the japanese dvds come more cheap. I guess this has to do with the dubbing work and the added menus and features. ;p which i don't like any way.
omg bozzy i can't believe you think dvds would be cheaper if it was made by the USA? ROFL think about what you are saying because if USA bought something where they would lose money from why would they even do it in the first place? I swear tokyopop must be out of their minds to sell at a price where they can't make a profit from. Makes no business sense to me to come up with a dvd where you lose money.

This post has been edited by Kurama408 on Feb 25 2005, 02:50 AM
dmhc69
Posted: Feb 24 2005, 10:14 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Kurama408 @ Feb 25 2005, 03:18 PM)
i'm not against tokyopop but I think the prices are just way too high for my taste....I mean even the japanese dvds come more cheap. I guess this has to do with the dubbing work and the added menus and features. ;p which i don't like any way.

yeah, thats what i mean -- dvds nowadays come with way too much extra stuff that, in par, you're probably paying extra for, so i dont think its worth it

the perfect initial D dvd to me would be to simply have as many episodes per dvd possible (im guessing at least 6 (note them to be proper direct japanese versions with good subbing)), along with a simple menu to play whichever episode you want -- ive yet to see this, which is a real shame
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 24 2005, 11:37 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Kurama408 @ Feb 25 2005, 12:18 AM)

Ummm... Whatever drug your on... Care to lend me some? Japanese DVDs are super expensive in comparison to the US ones... And I ain't talking about those HK "DVDs" (whose video isn't even from a DVD source)...

For example take Gantz... The Japanese release of this 26-episode, 2 season series, is 2 episode a DVD at around $30+... For 2 damn episodes!!!

I believe in another post I mentioned that compared to other companies' releases Tokyopop's cost per episode is average...

Yes the dub is shoddy... But it's also funny... dude...

2 Pages  1 2