Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Overdrive Neurotransmitters

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 3,083  ·  Replies: 44 
> Your first drifting experience.., Come on in...!
sushim0t0
  Posted: Feb 24 2003, 09:20 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Let's start off by beginning with my first drifting experience. Let's see... the first time that I've ever drift was when I was driving home from school. It was raining in ice (snowing) that day and the road seems to be frozen. When I was turning into my house street, I kinda push the gas a little too hard and my car was sliding and spinning awaaay... I think I stepped on the break a little then then the steering wheel in other direction and then let the car go by itself to make it come to a stop. Anyways I missed the street and then came to a stop. I got out of the car and look at the surrounding. I found out that both of my front wheels were up on the curve...!!! there was also wooden fence was about 4 feet away from the front bumper O_o. I was relief that I didn't hit anything. So then I turned the car around and went back to the house like nothing has happened.

The inspiration that made me post this topic is because I had a lot of FUN today!!! It has been snowing non-stop today (and that's very rare in TEXAS). Anyhow, my little brother went out to see movies with his friends and my parents were still at work. So, I was left home alone with my mustang. After sitting in front of the TV for about an hour, I decided to take a took outside the window. Then something came over me. Someting that I can't describe. It was kinda feeling that Takumi has when he first began to realize how exciting racing is. I felt a hypertension kinda feeling and my heart was burning with desire to DRIFT! tongue.gif

So, I got out of the house, pour some cold water over my frozen windshield, start the car and chill for 5 minute, then off to the school parking lot! The windshield was covered with lotsa ice, but I somehow managed. After I got to the parking lot, I looked around. The spot lights were on, so that was good (it's 7:00 PM and it was dark with all the clouds). The whole place was covered in snow. Anyways, I started to drift around. I did some donuts at first, it was so much fun to learn and see how to manipulate the car to spin around O_o. Then I did some serious drifting. I think that I drift the car the right way after reading all the post and all the reasearching that I've done. I break, down shift, steer, accelerate. then coutersteer. But before I shift back, the care would spun out. So, I tried to give less gas, but the result were the same. But anyways, I almost hit a spotlight pole ONCE! sad.gif I still remember the feeling. After that I hit the curve twice by drifting, but no damage done to the car at all (I think). Anyways after I play around there for around 30 minutes, I drove home. Oh ya, I tried to drift in the same street that I was first accidently drift before, but this time, I had an image on how the car in ID would started to turn a pretty long way before the corner comes. So, I thought that I could turn the car side way first like Takumi does then make the turn perfectly. But unfortunately, the it didn't work out. The result was that the car turned completely 90 degrees perfectly, then it went on the curve... the 2 wheels were on the curve again, but this time I did not made it to the street (I drifted too soon!!!). The front bumper was also 5-6 feet away from hitting the wooden fence. So, after all the 30 minutes worth of gas and drifting, I failed sad.gif

During the drifting in the parking lot, I noticed that I spun out a lot, I can't seem to put the right amount of weight to the pedal, but it was my first time playing with drifting, so it doesn't really matter. The heel and toe technique was somewhat effective, but I'm still learning. Anyways, many things went on during the 30 minutes of my new experience, and I hope that I could drift like a pro someday.. in my Ferrari....... someday....... rolleyes.gif

Thank you for reading my drifting experience. I hope that all you all out there have great drifting experience to share and tell... Happy drifting smile.gif

P.S. What road surface do you think is the best to practice drifting and not damage your car as much (tires, suspension, wheel alignment, etc..)?
Jayson
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 09:41 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 32

neat?
CapSule
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 09:49 PM

Grip Silvia S12

Member No.: 249

go to an empty parking lot when its raining . . . your tires wont get messed up that much. . .

My first drift exp?
One Word "Wonderful" biggrin.gif
karasac
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 10:00 PM

Rotary Disciple

Member No.: 11

not to rain on ur parade but u were just spinning out most of the time

and my first sliding experience was in my truck on a rainy day, i took a turn to fast and the back end gave out, i just kept my foot on the gas and powerslid though it
Jayson
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 10:10 PM

powerslide!
CapSule
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 10:40 PM

Grip Silvia S12

QUOTE (Jayson @ Feb 24 2003, 10:07 PM)
powerslide!

Wow, must have been scary . . . with the rain and all . . .

Powerslide! laugh.gif
Jayson
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 10:42 PM

POWERSLIDE!
CapSule
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 10:43 PM

Grip Silvia S12

Hehe biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Whooooooaaa! Powerslide! laugh.gif
Jayson
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 10:59 PM

w00t!! POWERSLIDE w00t!!
CapSule
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 11:04 PM

Grip Silvia S12

LoL . . . hah ha.

Powerslide! laugh.gif
Jayson
Posted: Feb 24 2003, 11:17 PM

POWERSLIDE owns!
Integra
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 08:05 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 264

Powerslide does own, but it dosent own drifting. I don't like mustangs though.
Jayson
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 12:29 PM

POWERSLIDE!
S15-guy
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 01:21 PM

dampachi!

Member No.: 177

QUOTE (sushim0t0 @ Feb 24 2003, 09:17 PM)
windshield was covered with lotsa ice, but I somehow managed.

probably coz u tipped water on it! wacko.gif
Jayson
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 01:23 PM

yeah, I was kinda confused about that whole thing too
Wheels84ss
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 04:58 PM

Unregistered

Well the cold water trick with the defrosters on will break up the ice faster then trying to scrape it without scratching the window. Problem is you have to have the car running for a little bit first.

Now as for first drifting experences, Since I got my licence I have always taken a car down the bay in south amboy and spun donuts and slides to see where the limits and reactions were in case it happened on the road. But then I realized from watching old race films that I could use some of this to go faster in the real world. First time I tried it was on an old road in old bridge. Ticetown road after 11pm is usually empty and mostly curved so I had a playground. My choice of vehicles was a 84 toyota SR5 pickup. Was the only stick I had access to at the time. Spent about 2 hours there pushing and sliding till I could get the truck to really jump on command. Was quite please with the whole thing. Since then (about 9 years now) Ticetown has become my proving ground for any car I own. Once I get a feel for the car we see what it can do. Maybe someday we'll get a few events where i can play on the track instead of the street, but untill then, the trials will remain in the backwoods of old bridge.
GoFastLookSlow
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 05:13 PM

♪ don't say lazy ♪

Member No.: 86

84SS... Im assuming you have/ really like a 1984 Monte Carlos SS, since that is the only SS i know of that was made in 1984.. am I correct?
Wheels84ss
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 06:43 PM

Unregistered

That would be correct, had it for about 6 years now. Still trying to find the right parts to put a T-5 or T-56 in it.
Jayson
Posted: Feb 25 2003, 10:22 PM

those wern't the turbo ones, where they?

and he didn't mention anything about the defrosters
Wheels84ss
Posted: Feb 26 2003, 01:25 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 275

No Jay he said early on it was a 5.0 mustang which was the 302 V-8. All the turbo cars were 2.3's. And as far as the ice goes I wasn't sure if he did it right, just letting you know and old north east trick for ice.
Jayson
Posted: Feb 26 2003, 10:07 AM

I was talking about the Monte Carlos you shmuck! tongue.gif
Wheels84ss
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 05:59 PM

IDW Prime Member

Easy Jay, misread what you said, and no they never made a Monte Carlo SS turboed. The Buick Gran National was the turbo 3.8. Was a G-Body brother to the monte based off the Regal. Was a real screamer of a car but lacked the aero and handling of the SS. It was a tradeoff in GM. Closest Brother to the SS was the pontiac 2+2, aero nose and rear window to meet nascar regs in the mid eighty's. Athough there 307 left some severe lack in the power dept.
CapSule
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 06:00 PM

Grip Silvia S12

Drifting = biggrin.gif .
Jayson
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 06:13 PM

My bad! Sowwie
Wheels84ss
Posted: Mar 6 2003, 03:39 PM

IDW Prime Member

No reason to apologize, the way Gm used to move parts around Different brands with the same platform was tough to keep up with unless you know the Body style well. Just a little info incase you ever have to deal with one.

2 Pages  1 2