Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) King & Queen - Dance Europe Express

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 16,019  ·  Replies: 69 
> [FANFIC] The Muscle Drifter, An Initial D FanFic
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 13 2012, 09:22 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,471

As the muscle drifter draws to its inevitable end, I'll post my first chapter right after it on a new thread.

Chapter 13

Over the next week David and Emily spent the nights on Akina practicing while Akari timed them. David was faster on the downhill having the heavier car. Emily was very close to his times with only a few seconds difference between them.

The Wednesday before the race the night air was cut by screeching tires and roaring motors as two cars made their way down the course. A blue FD sat waiting for the other two cars to come off the mountain pass. As the two cars came into the parking lot at the lower end of the course, a Marina blue Chevelle lead the way followed closely by a bright orange S15.

"Emily you've improved a lot since that run down Usui pass, but I want you to attack me on the next run not just watch me," David said as Emily climbed out of the S15.

"David, I was attacking, every corner in the course but you were too far ahead, if you want me to attack you give me a target I can hit," Emily said only half faking the anger in her tone.

The group heard the sound of a motor getting closer from the main road. David spun to face that direction and watched as the famous 86 of Akina drove into the small lot where they were. The three door car was dwarfed by the Chevelle as it parked next to it.

"Hey David," Takumi said with a slight bow towards the ladies.

"Takumi, what brings you out here this early?" David asked shaking the younger man's hand.

"Itsuki told me someone from your team was racing against Iketani I thought I'd come meet them," Takumi said scratching the back of his head.

"Well you've met Akari, so the only one you don't know is Emily," David said pointing over his left shoulder.

Takumi got a confused look on his face that made David turn to see Akari behind him and the S15 gone. The blonde let quick irritated sigh as he headed for the Chevelle to get his phone.

"Why don't we chase her down?" Akari shouted as she jumped in the FD.

"Last one to the top is a rotten egg," Takumi shouted as the 86 took off leading the way out of the lot.

David was the last one in his car and moving but he caught up to the other two with ease due to the power of the Chevelle's custom built motor. As they made their way through the corners the three drivers swapped places in line putting Takumi in the back of the line and David out in front. The 86's engine roared to its peak RPM as Takumi pressed hard trying to keep up with the two cars belonging to the Timber Wolves. All three cars passed Emily on her way up causing her to get in on the fun of follow the leader.

By the time Akari, Emily and Takumi arrived at the top David was standing outside his car waiting for them, Takumi came in last to the top due to the lower horse power of his 86's Group A engine. They spent the last of the practice night picking on Takumi about being the one who suggested a last one to the top race against two turbo cars and a V8.

A little after one in the morning David and Emily arrived back at the house David's boss had generously arranged for him to have. The pair fell asleep on the couch David holding Emily close to him.

The rest of the week flew by and Saturday moved fast. Mr. Yokama had arranged for David to have the day off in spite the meeting he was supposed to head, Emily and Akari spent the day doing a little shopping after their classes ended while David tuned the S15.

At ten o'clock Saturday night David and the two other members of the Akagi Timber Wolves waited for the Akina Speed Stars leader to show.

"No crowd at all compared to when Takumi raced here," Kenji said as he climbed out of his 180SX.

"It's a race of two unknowns of the two teams, they may not care as much," Akari said in her usual calm tone.

The two tone S13 belonging to Koichiro Iketani drove into the pull off area at the radio tower followed closely by Mako and Sayuki's Sil80. Mako and Sayuki climbed out of the Sil80 while Iketani moved his S13 to the start line next to its newer relative, the S15.

David stepped between the two cars as Akari set up behind the two vehicles. Muttering turned into cheers from the crowd as the FD sat idling quietly behind the other two cars waiting for the start.

"Hey that isn't fair," someone yelled from the crowd, but the crowd didn't listen and just kept on cheering.

"I hope you know how to move fast David," Akari said to herself as she watched the man through her windshield.

David's hand dropped and the two main competitors took off down the course as David jumped into the passenger seat of the FD, trusting Kenji with his Chevelle. The pair watched the race unfold in front of them as Akari fell behind the S15 to be lead around the course.

"Iketani is pretty good, I'm actually impressed, it's a basic technique of using the hand brake but it does work," David said making Akari laugh.

"Hey come on, Emily is doing pretty good to," Akari said playfully slapping David on the arm before returning the hand to the steering wheel.

"Yeah she is, look she's going for it."

David and Akari watched, in the straight section right before the five hair pins Emily and the S15 passed Iketani on the outside line before drift blocking the inside then straightening out and flying through each hair pin. After the hairpins Iketani caught up but Emily managed to block each of the attacks and lead the entire way to the three lane section where she lost her line mid corner. Iketani tried to use that to his advantage but was blocked by the more powerful engine of the turbo S15.

At the bottom of the course Iketani congratulated Emily on her first official win in Japan, and headed off back to the top.

"Call Kenji and tell him Iketani is on his way back up, I'll drive the S15 back to the top," David said as Emily climbed into the passenger seat.

When David got back to the top he noticed that Mako and Sayuki looked very angry at the person they had cornered between their car and Kenji's 180SX while Kenji and Iketani inspected the Chevelle's door. David nearly ran over the two bringing the S15 right next to the Chevelle.

"What's going on?" Emily asked as the two enraged women continued to stare the man down.

"This guy kicked The American's car, for no reason at all it would seem," Sayuki said nearly screaming.

"Who is 'The American'?" Emily asked looking around.

"I am honey. Guys what's the damage?" David responded calmly.

"Nothing bad, just a scratch, he may have broken a toe though," Kenji responded noticing how the man was favoring one foot.

"So what was your reason for kicking my car," The blonde man asked with a chuckle, "I mean you did more damage to your foot then my car."

"I kicked a second rate car in a second rate team," the man said with total confidence, "And I don't think this heavy thing has a chance against Project D's downhill ace."

"I may not stand a chance, but if you want me to show you what I can do I'm sure anyone of the owners of the six cars here would let me show you," David said with the same confidence.

"He isn't kidding is he?" Iketani whispered to Emily.

Emily simply shook her head at the question and continued to watch what was happening as the man who kicked the Chevelle walked around each of the cars.

"I think he wants to prove it's not just the power of the Chevelle that's getting him ahead, but his technique," Emily said as the man walked around the cars.

"This one would make things easy enough for me," the man said pointing at the white 180SX belonging to Kenji.

Kenji nearly flew off the mountain, when the guy looked at his car. David walked over to Kenji and told him not to worry too much about it and he would just smoke the guy from the line.

"Promise I'll bring her back to you in one piece Kenji," David said noticing the nervous look still on the man's face as he sat in the 180SX's driver's seat.

"I know you will, but he might not let you," Kenji replied trying to make it sound like a joke, and failing spectacularly.

The white 180SX made its way to the line where a black S13 was waiting to race against the Timber Wolves downhill racer. Kenji stepped between the two cars and did the countdown.

At the go both cars flew passed Kenji and started making their ways down the Akina pass. David moved the 180SX into the lead spot and made the task of pulling away look as easy as if he was driving the Chevelle.

"That guy was all talk I guess," David said as he lost sight of the S13's head lights.

When he got to the five hairpins he once again simply allowed the car to do most of the work around the first two, and then hooked the tires as he had seen Takumi do the first night they met on the last three.

"I hope whoever is at the bottom is keeping time cause this will probably be the fastest this cars ever gone down the pass," David laughed before pushing the pedal even closer to the floor before slamming on the brakes and sliding around the remaining corners to put on a show not letting the squirrely feeling from the back tires, or the differences in this car and his own effect his driving.

Back at the top of the course Kenji was relieved every time a report came in that his car was in one piece, Iketani and Mako were shocked at the times David was putting down and the gap between the two cars continuing to grow. Akari and Emily were just as shocked to see that he was going so fast in someone else's car.

David took his phone out and called Akari still going down the pass, to find out how far back the S13 was or even if he was still going.

"David, are you out of your mind?" Akari yelled into her phone when she heard his voice.

"Akari, how far back is he? I can't hear him, I'm only figuring out if I should turn back," David said calmly with the phone lying on his leg.

"As far as we can tell he's still in it, but he's just coming out of the last hair pin of the course."

David slammed his foot to the floor and crossed the finish line before spinning the 180SX on a dime to start making his way back up the pass.

"Alright, I just finished I'm heading back up so I'll be looking out for him," the blonde said as he pressed the off button for his phone.

The two cars passed each other, and the shock of seeing the 180SX going the other way sent the driver of the black S13 into the three lane corner, where Takumi passed Ryosuke Takahashi and Seji Iwaki, too fast causing him to spin out.

When David got back to the top of the course he met with five stunned and relieved faces and one that showed nothing but excitement.

"Did I do something wrong?" David asked with a nervous chuckle as everyone continued to stare at him.

Emily ran over and wrapped her arms around the taller blonde's neck and kissed him full on the mouth, making Mako and Iketani blush. When the two broke away from each other David tossed the keys to the 180 back to its black haired owner who didn't even notice them bounce off his chest and fall to the ground.

"Kenji, I won and I brought your car back, it's not a dream, it's a good car, though you should really set the suspension differently, it starts getting squirrely at the exits," David said after picking up the keys.

"But you came close to Takumi's last recorded time in Akina from the race against the Lan-Evo IV," Iketani said finally breaking the silence between them.

"Didn't know that," David said with a slight shrug of his shoulders, "Akari, Emily let's get out of here, I have paint to fix."

Akari followed Emily and David down to the bottom of the pass before going her own way home. When the brown haired girl got back to her home, a small apartment building, she began thinking about what Iketani and the others had said about David's close times to Takumi's.

'He wasn't even driving his Chevelle, how did he get so close to Takumi?' Akari asked herself as she walked around her apartment, 'It makes me wonder what he drove before the Chevelle. I know he drove a 350Z for the first month, but before he came here I don't know anything.'

The brown haired girl spent the remainder of her night thinking about the upcoming challenge with Project D in Usui pass. Meanwhile David and Emily arrived at the house where they both fell asleep the minute their heads hit the pillows.

The next day Akari met up with Emily at David's house after school to go shopping while David was still at work. During the trip the two talked about the night before and what Emily could do to go faster.

"Emily, do you know what David used to drive before the Chevelle?" Akari asked pulling back into the houses driveway after a day of shopping.

"Not really, I've only known him two and a half years, he was driving the Chevelle then, he's had that car for at least five years from what he said," Emily responded staring through the windshield at her S15 in the garage.

It was only after Akari asked her question that the brown haired girl noticed that the Chevelle was sitting behind the closed door of the third space. The two girls entered the house to find David resting on the couch.

"David, what all kinds of cars have you driven?" Akari asked point blank after the older man greeted them.

"I've owned five or six cars, I currently own three," David said rubbing his eyes.

"Not what I asked."

"David, I'm curious too," Emily said quietly as she sat down near the taller blonde.

"Alright, how far back do you wanna go? Because there is a list the length of my leg," David asked as Akari sat in one of the chairs in the room.

"How about as far back as your driver's license, I know American's get theirs earlier then we do," Akari replied.

"Well I started racing the day after I got my full license; I was hanging around the scene before that but not driving anything."

"Yo David, you've been hanging around this team for a while now, wanna race with us?" A taller dark haired man asked as he walked towards a 16 year old blonde.

"No car Mac, unless you want me to borrow one," David said with a laugh.

"Go ahead, you've been riding shot gun enough to drive her," Mac said as he tossed his keys to the young man.

"I'll take good care of her," David said as he climbed into a blue 1984 Nissan 300ZX.

David would be facing off against one of the Timber Wolves team just for a lap of fun on the course. The course was easy and with his friend riding shot gun to tell him what to do, he knew at least the car would be in one piece at the end of it, he couldn't say anything about his nerves.

The go was given and the 300ZX flew ahead off the line, the modified 289 Mac had used to replace the original V6 climbing through the RPM range before David shifted to the next gear just at the right moment to keep the car flying through the speedometer numbers.

Mac had gone over the basics of the engine with David before the race, how he had swapped the old factory turbo V6 for the modified V8 under its hood now. He bored a 289 block up to a 350, put a set of ported 350 V8 heads with a four barrel carburetor and intake on in place of the original equipment, the exhaust was totally custom built due to the new engine, but still retained all the proper equipment to keep it street legal and all the work was done in a professional shop to be sure of it.

"Okay start the brake," Mac said quietly before noticing the change in the 16 year old driving his car.

The 300ZX flew past its usual braking point before flying through the blocked corner without its brake lights ever coming on. Mac couldn't figure it out what happened, he knew that he had never gone through that corner that fast, let alone doing it without braking at all.

David broke the course record in his first race ever and in a borrowed car on top of that.

"David, I think it's time I give this old hot rod up for something new, how about you drive her for the team?" Mac asked as he stepped out of the car.

David did nothing but stammer for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do.

"Come on kid, it's not like you'd get it for free, you'd have to buy her from me, but until you can you can drive her as much as you want, even keep it at your place if your parents agree," Mac said trying at least to calm the younger man down a bit.

"I guess its okay, I'll bring my dad by your place tomorrow to pick it up, I can home from here," David responded calming himself down.

"The next day I picked up the 300ZX and drove it as an official member of the Timber Wolves, after that one got torn up in an accident a few years later there was another Nissan and a couple Hondas that all ended up modified for street racing," David paused to take a breath and noticed Akari's intrigued look, "Once I got my current job I was driving an old 1991 Chevrolet Caprice."

"So you were driving a heavy car in a street racing environment before the Chevelle?" Emily asked quietly.

"How heavy are we talking, I'm not from where you two are from," Akari asked scratching the side of her head.

"About five thousand pounds, I can't really convert that to kilos, sorry," Emily said with a smile.

"After that the Chevelle is all I've had besides the S15 in this garage, and my treasure back home," David said with a yawn before dozing off on the couch again.
Meteor
Posted: Oct 13 2012, 11:03 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,929

Ouch. Didn't think David would crash. I definitely can't say this story's very predictable.

"Takumi, this is just a warning, not a threat or anything, next time you show up at four in the morning without giving me a little warning, you won't live to see the challenge from the Akagi Timber Wolves," he added as the two men walked out of the garage.

So. . . A warning before every tofu delivery then?

Anyway, this story's still great with every chapter. You really did do pretty good shadow55419. That race between Akari and the Sil-Eighty was awesome btw. Characterization, dialogue and stuff like that is still good too. There were some fun moments within the recent chapters due to those.
Well, I'm really sorry for taking so long to leave some more words here. But I'll try to post here a little more frequently from now on.

How close are we to the Usui race now?
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 14 2012, 12:50 AM

Meteor's partner in crime!

Member No.: 39,000

Meteor
unfortunately i do not recall at this moment where the Usui race is facepalm.gif

as for the warning Takumi showed up at David's front door at 4am, he was coming off the delivery run and Takumi wanted to be sure David was okay (Second person to mess that up, guess i need to re word that part when i get there in the minor editing...)

as for the keeping cannon folks where they should be, thats easy, its keeping the OCs thats hard.

This post has been edited by shadow55419 on Oct 14 2012, 12:54 AM
Meteor
Posted: Oct 14 2012, 01:42 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Yeah. I see I might've misread that part a little facepalm.gif
You won't need to reword it. It's already clear enough.
Sorry, I can be an idiot sometimes. . .

And I know what you mean about the OCs. You're doing great with them though.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Oct 14 2012, 08:58 AM
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 14 2012, 01:29 PM

we all goof some times, no big deal.
and thanks for the praise about my OCs.

might tell you my secret of how i do it some day shifty2.gif
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 14 2012, 07:19 PM

IDW Regular Member

I have read this fanfic thrice and I still get the same feeling just like the first time.

SPOILER

This post has been edited by HyperSonic on Oct 14 2012, 10:43 PM
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 14 2012, 08:02 PM

HYPERSONIC!! NO SPOILERS!! mad.gif

and i had no idea you read it that many times, cool biggrin.gif
Airpistol09
Posted: Oct 14 2012, 10:30 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 39,073

I have read straight from chapter 1 to 13 and I can say Shadow55419 is good, though I admire thx's writing more (no offense). Thx's cliffhangers are good but I don't like how he ends the stories, he just finishes it while you are still glued to it, to get you to read his next fic. Why not write it in a single storyline since they are lined up like that.

HyperSonic
give clues please was the other car even mentioned from the previous chapters? How many chapter does the Muscle Drifter have? I don't want it to end soon though.
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 14 2012, 10:41 PM

IDW Regular Member

Airpistol09 is a friend and an aspiring writer but unlike me who wants to do it for fun, he wants to do it for money.

Just like what Meteor has told me THX hasn't been around for quite some time, so you can't complain to him, if you want to ask a few things ask/PM Meteor or THX himself (though I doubt THX would respond).

And for the clues you're asking for, Shadow55419 asked me not to give spoilers so I can't give you any, I might lose my posting rights if I do so. Just read on.

Chapter 14

A month moved pretty slowly for the Akagi Timber Wolves team. Akari and David spent as much time as they could in Usui pass, practicing at night with the Sil80 duo, David tuned both cars with Akari's help. Emily spent the time practicing techniques with the Akagi RedSuns and Sayuki riding along giving her tips when she was in Usui with David and Akari.

"David I'll be at Usui to watch the race, don't disappoint me," Mr. Yokama said as they walked out of the building together on the day of the race.

"Be at C121, that's where the excitement will be on the downhill run," David said as he climbed into the S15.

"Where is the Chevelle today?"

"Resting at home, I locked down my settings for the race last night so I figured I'd take Emily to her class and drive this to work today," David responded before driving out of the parking garage.

At seven o'clock Akari met with David and Emily to drive to Usui pass, David's boss also met them at the house in his 280Z.

"I haven't driven this car in a while, but I don't think I've lost my touch," the gray haired man laughed while David went over the car.

"It's well kept, right now I don't have time for a full inspection, we have to go, where is Mrs. Yokama?" David said walking back towards his Chevelle.

"She isn't coming, she had a book club meeting," the oldest man there responded as he climbed into the 280Z.

The four cars drove straight to Usui pass for the biggest challenge the Akagi Timber Wolves had faced yet.

Once at Usui pass they saw a large crowd of people gathered at every safe corner of the pass. David, Akari and Emily drove up leaving the bright red 280Z at the C121 hairpin where the largest crowd so far had gathered.

When they reached the top of the pass they saw both drivers of Project D standing by their cars and the four support vans the David had seen at the last challenge he went to. David noticed that Emily looked more nervous than usual at this kind of event, even though she had met most of these people.

"Ryosuke, I see you brought your FC, I like the changes," David said pointing out the new carbon fiber hood and fixed headlights on the front and the spoiler on the back.

"David, the Chevelle looks better then when we first met, what happened?" Ryosuke said sounding genuinely curious.

"Had to repaint it, someone scratched it while we were in Akina last month," David said before adding, "It wasn't me," when he noticed Keisuke looking at him.

Keisuke laughed at David's reaction to the look before telling Ryosuke that the road was clear and the cars were ready to go.

"We'll do the downhill first, I want to chase first," David said stunning both Keisuke and Takumi, "The power difference would make all the difference on this course so I'm just trying to be fair."

Ryosuke nodded and the two FDs and the support van for Keisuke's car made their way to the bottom of the pass.

When they got the all clear from the bottom, Takumi and David lined the 86 and the Chevelle up on the non official start line.

"Okay, we're using Usui rules here, the official start is that first corner, after that the race is on," Fumihiro said speaking to both drivers who nodded their understanding.

"David Crandon, the American," David said politely as possible.

"Takumi Fujiwara of Project D," Takumi said bowing slightly to the older man, "I won't hold anything back, I hope you don't either." He added before climbing into his beloved 86

David simply nodded before climbing into his Chevelle. The tension around the two cars seemed to double as Fumihiro started the countdown. Ryosuke watched the cars carefully noticing that David's aura as a racer had gotten almost as bright and as strong as Takumi's.

Emily walked over to Ryosuke just after the two cars took off towards the official starting point.

"Ryosuke, I think this one is a tossup, what about you?" She asked in English trying not to sound as nervous as she felt.

"You have no reason to be nervous Ms. Davidson, David is an excellent drifter, he's gotten much stronger since the night I drove with him down Akagi," Ryosuke replied calmly.

On the course, even though they had only gone through a few corners David had already noticed a major change in Takumi's driving style and the way his car moved.

'They lightened the car, must be the back hatch, the thing rolls on the suspension less then that night in Akina,' David thought as he matched the 86 drift for drift.

"This is insane, I've never seen either of these cars move this fast," someone shouted in to a phone as the two cars blew passed the crowd matching each other's drift.

David noticed his tire's slipping a little more than they should have been so early in the race. Then he noticed that Takumi's car was moving away from him an inch at a time.

'Alright, these tires are shot so I'll make that work for me,' David thought as he pushed the Chevelle closer to the 86's bumper.

Takumi was given no instruction for this race other than to run it his way, and he was running full throttle and he couldn't shake the monster of a car that was tailing him.

'C121, he's going to try something there,' Takumi thought as they approached the hardest place on the course.

The crowd at the entrance to C121 watched in awe as the two cars came into the corner with Project D's 86 in front. The man reported that Takumi was in front, but was interrupted by someone shouting that the Chevelle came out of C121 first.

"Ryosuke, Takumi was passed in C121, how is that possible?" Fumihiro asked ignoring the blonde haired woman standing close by.

Takumi sat watching the Chevelle pulling away from him as he thought about what happened. He had watched the Chevelle moving to the outside, but nothing else seemed to register after that moment.

'What the hell was that?' he asked himself as the image of the large blue machine disappeared from his passenger mirror and reappear in the driver's mirror of the 86 played through his mind.

David was leading the race and still sweating bullets because of what he had done on instinct alone.

David was trailing the 86 by less than half a car, so he floored the accelerator and allowed the gap to close before readjusting his line mid-corner he slid around the back bumper of the 86 leaving just centimeters between the two cars. Once he cleared the 86 he just floored the pedal and prayed the car would hang on, and it did.

Mr. Yokama along with the entire crowd knew David had won now that he could just go all out, but it was still shocking to see such a kamikaze style move in the C121 hairpin. He could hear muttering calling that move cheating, but before he could say anything someone else did it for him.

"The 86 was passed clean, the American used his horsepower in a place where it meant everything," A deep bass voice said silencing the voices around him.

Mr. Yokama and saw a tallish man with a white bandana being stared at with a combination of anger and agreement from the different people in the crowd.

"The man is right, it was a clean pass using an outside line and a ton of luck," Mr. Yokama agreed not caring he was agreeing with a total stranger.

The two men stood side by side continuing to listen to reports of the race.

"I'm Kyoichi Sudo of the Emperor team in Nikko-Irohazaka," Kyoichi said before pointing to a pony tailed man, "That's Seji Iwaki, we've both been beaten by the 86, so it's tough to think anyone can beat him, my question is why back us?"

"The American happens to be one of my company's managers, but I agreed because even in the old days that move would have been considered a clean pass."

"The 86 is still on the American's back bumper, they picked up the pace too, they'll break Usui's course record by nearly ten second's at this pace," someone shouted for the entire crowd to hear.

On the course David was starting to get nervous about how this underpowered 86 was keeping up with his car. Everything he tried to go faster just seemed to pull the 86 into going just as fast. As the two cars flew through corner after corner David's concentration was beginning to falter somewhat.

"That's it, I've got no more to give," David said through gritted teeth as he swung the car wide to block the entire road, after the corner he reached up and twisted the mirror away from his sight line.

Takumi in the 86 noticed a change in the style of David's driving.

'Crap, he's gotten comfortable with this amount of pressure, and the line is coming up fast,' Takumi thought as he watched the Chevelle start opening the gap little by little.

He stepped up his pace to at least try and keep the gap from opening any more before the end of the race.

A black R32 was waiting at one of the final corners of the course next to it a red EG6.

"This race ended at C121, the American has more flat out power, and with the course nearly level it will be hard for 86 to even keep up," a short haired man said as they listened to the two cars coming closer.

"Come now Takeshi, you know what we both said about the 86, and look at us, I wrecked and you got beat pretty badly," the long haired man standing next to the other said.

"Shingo, we also got be beat by the American," Takeshi said before noticing how close the other man was, "Would you back off man, people might get the idea we like each other."

The Chevelle flew passed the two men with the 86 only a step behind it with its headlights down. Both engines roaring louder than they normally would. David knew his engine could give no more but the sound of the Group A engine seeming to have no end to its limits scared him.

'Damn, where is that line, my concentration is blown even though I can't see him I can hear that monster, and I know he's driving blind cause his lights aren't on my dash anymore, what is this guy,' David screamed in his mind as he cleared the final corner of the course and spotted the cheering crowd, "Finally," he said exhaling loudly.

The Chevelle crossed the finish line in first place with no room to spin like he normally would he just let the car coast down before stopping far enough away from the uphill starting line. David sat in his driver's seat ignoring the death glare from Keisuke and Kenta were giving him and his car.

"David, are you alright," he heard Akari's voice calling through the window.

He just nodded his response as his body came down from the massive adrenaline rush that had built up during the race. He noticed that even Keisuke and the members of Project D were beginning to look worried, so he stepped slowly out of the car his heart still pounding through his ribs.

"Damn, we thought you had a heart attack for a second there," Keisuke said with a half joking tone.

"I may have, I'm not even sure how I'm upright at this moment," David laughed, even though his racing partner still looked very worried.

"There is an Orange S15, a bright red 280Z and Ryosuke's FC following the Project D van, they just passed the next to last corner, after that the road is clear," someone spouted through the radio Tomiguchi had in his hand.

"David-san, can I speak with you?" Takumi asked nervously.

The two men walked to a spot where the crowds were no longer paying attention to them but the uphill start.

"What's up Takumi-kun?" David said even though he hated being formal with someone he considered a friend.

"I wanted to know if you were holding back, I won't tell if you were," Takumi said sounding more serious than before.

"I made a promise to you and Ryosuke both that I would not hold back during my race with you, I never break my promises even when it goes against what I believe in," David said trying not to laugh, "You were on my tail the whole way down, and if you had just a little more course you may have passed me again, I had nothing left to give and the car was screaming at me to stop the madness."

David finally broke down and let out a chuckle that lead to both of the men laughing as if the race had never happened.

"Takumi-kun!" a voice called out from the crowd.

A girl with short brown hair, wearing a short skirt and t-shirt walked out of the crowd.

"Natsuki!" Takumi stammered, "What are you doing here, I thought you were still in Tokyo."

Before David could understand why Takumi looked insanely freaked out a black haired girl ran out of the crowd, completely ignoring the other girl, and jumped into Takumi's chest.

"Ummm, I'm going to go now, I hear the S15 coming in," David said trying to get out of such an awkward situation.

David left Takumi to the two girls to meet up with his girlfriend and boss and watch Akari's start to the uphill.

"David that was fantastic work at C121, passing on the outside is impossible but you pulled it off somehow, what was in your head?" Mr. Yokama asked as the blonde walked over to the pair.

Emily jumped into her boyfriend's arms and awarded him with a kiss for his win before David could even answer the question his boss had asked.

"The only thing in my head during the pass was prayers that my tires wouldn't let me down," David laughed as Emily turned around in his arms to face his boss.

The three waited for the start of the uphill race. After the two cars took off Ryosuke watched with slight amusement seeing Takumi trying to get out of his situation with the two girls that had show up at the race. David watched the road, and Emily talked about things with Mr. Yokama.

"David, shouldn't you go help Takumi?" Emily asked after a report from the C121 that the two cars could be heard.

"Not yet, I want to see what Akari does at C121," David said with a devilish grin.

Emily scoffed a little at the idea of leaving Takumi to hang, so she walked over to the three people while David watched Takumi get even more freaked out.

"Takumi, why don't you introduce your two friends," Emily said with a friendly tone.

"This is Natsuki Mogi, she and I dated in high school," Takumi said as he gestured to the brown haired girl in the mini skirt, "And this is my girlfriend Mika Uehara," he finished while gesturing at the long haired girl in slacks.

"My name is Emily Davidson, I'm the American's girlfriend, I'm curious why you look so freaked out Takumi," Emily said trying not to laugh.

Takumi finally relaxed realizing that none of the ladies present were going to try and kill him.

On the course Akari was out in front for the first run and at C121 she powered through in full drift just to keep the yellow FD firmly behind her.

'Damn, this guy is incredible, I can't get away from him at all,' Akari thought as she flew through the corner after C121.

Fumihiro called the bottom of the course with the news of a second run of the uphill, and that the two drivers were on their way back down.

"I have an idea for Akari to use, I want an honest opinion if it will work boss," David said as the crowd and teams waited for the drivers to return to the bottom.

"Alright, let's hear it then," the gray haired man responded sounding serious, more so then he normally would.

"Akari knows my car almost as well as her own from all the time she's driven in front of and behind it, if she puts the image of my car in front of her instead of the FD, do you think she could pick up her times and get away from this guy?" David asked as Emily walked up behind them.

"It could work, she has followed you up and down this pass, so she knows how it would react, try it and see," his boss responded as the two cars came back into the lot.

David walked over to the car and explained what he wanted his brown haired partner to do. She agreed and told him that she would go all out on this run. As the blonde walked away from the blue FD he noticed tucked away in the corner of the lower lot that a black FD was sitting quietly out of sight.

"I wonder who that belongs to, can't believe I missed it," David said quietly to himself as he walking towards Ryosuke. "Hey Ryosuke, who does that black FD over there belong to?"

"It belongs to a girl who's fallen for my brother, her name is Kyoko Iwase and he did ask her not to come to these events after the Saitama prefecture, but she's been hiding out on course sides and such even during practice, I'm surprised he hasn't noticed yet," Ryosuke responded with his usual calm tone.

"Look there is something I want to talk about, come to my place in a couple days and we'll talk it over," David said walking away without a response.

On the course Akari was now chasing the FD and out in front of it the image of David's Chevelle and she figured out that Keisuke was holding back for the sake of his tires. She also figured out just how to pass him and catch that Chevelle. At the C121 hair pin she made her first move in a three stage attack.

Both cars drifted through the corner and Akari floored the gas putting the two cars mirror to mirror. As they came to the exit she launched the full brunt of the attack, she slipped a little closer to Keisuke's door and letting his car break the wind resistance. Coming out of the corner this made her slightly faster and able to come out of C121 side by side, putting her on the inside of the next corner, and in perfect Kyoichi Sudo style, she used that to her advantage, by waiting a half second longer to brake she was able slip in front and block the next corner.

'They're both out of their damn minds,' Keisuke thought as he forced his car to go faster in order to keep up with Akari's blue FD.

Keisuke couldn't figure out what Akari was chasing but the pace had doubled and she was still getting away from him an inch at a time through the corners. The spiky haired man was getting angry, his Aniki had not given him any advice, and he was losing.

"WHY CAN'T I KEEP UP?" Keisuke shouted as he floored the accelerator forgetting all about tire control.

Akari noticed his change in pace, but she was still chasing an invisible opponent, her partner's car, the 1970 Chevelle that she still couldn't catch going uphill.

When they reached the top of the pass everyone was shocked to see the blue FD leading the way into the parking area where the barricade for blocking the road during the snow season stood.

"I understand, get everyone down here as soon as you can, we're done here," Ryosuke said into his phone.

"Your partner passed Keisuke, I don't know what you told her before the second run, but it worked," Ryosuke said walking to his FC.

"Hey Ryosuke, you and me on the Downhill after they get back down, you win I tell you what I told her," David said trying to get him into the race.

"No deal, your tires are shot, you wouldn't make it back up, much less down," Ryosuke said laughing at David's insulted reaction.

David knew Ryosuke was right, half way through the course the tires he had on the Chevelle were ready to shred themselves to pieces, but he hated having that pointed out to him in such a blunt manner.

Three days after the Project D race against the Timber Wolves where both Takumi and Keisuke lost, one to sheer power and luck and the other to pure last minute strategy, the news was still as active as the day after it had happened.

"So you asked me here to talk about something," Ryosuke said as he walked into David's garage to find him under the Chevelle.

"Yeah, let's go inside where it's a little cooler, I just finished up here anyway," David said sliding out from under the marina blue machine.

Once inside David washed his hands and got a cold soda out of his refrigerator and gave it to Ryosuke.

"Listen, the reason I asked you here is because you're drivers are fantastic and so are you, around the time I go back to the states there is a massive street racing tournament that my team and I take part in, it spans the race scene of three counties within the state," David paused to let that sink in, "I want you and Project D to bring Akari and your rides along with you to take part in this shindig too."

David didn't see any reaction to the proposal for about two minutes while Ryosuke sat and thought things over.

"Alright, let me talk to my team and we'll let you know," The brown haired man said standing up.

"Take your time you've got just over a year to let me know something," David said calmly as they walked to the front door. "Can I ask you one more favor? Take me down Akagi all out."

"Name when," Ryosuke replied as he climbed into the FC and drove away.

A few days later David sent Emily home with news of his defeat of Project D and an engagement ring that he knew would piss her father off to no end.

A month later David and the Chevelle faced off with Ryosuke and his FC at the top of Mt. Akagi's mountain pass.

"So this is what you want?" Ryosuke asked as they stood between his 1990 Mazda RX-7 and David's 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle.

"Yeah, no holding back, I loose I want it to be real," the blonde replied as he climbed into his marina blue machine.

Ryosuke passed his jacket on to Keisuke and climbed into the white FC. Both machines came to life with their own distinct growls, the Chevelle's loud and angry, while the FC was quieter and steady as Keisuke stepped between the two cars to start the count down.

"Five, Four, Three, Two, One... GO!" the spiky blonde haired man shouted over the roar of the engines.

The two machines flew down the first stretch, David taking the quick lead as they approached the first corner. The cars nearly parallel drifted through the corner. Ryosuke tried edging the Chevelle towards the outside, but was met with David's now famous fearless side as the Chevelle moved closer to the cars nose in order to block.

"Smart move," the brown haired man muttered as he fell behind the Chevelle again.

Through the first half of the course it was more parallel drifts and blocked pass attempts from Ryosuke, but when they hit the second half of the course David made an error and went too wide through the corner allowing Ryosuke to pass him easily.

"Crap, that was stupid, I should know better," The blonde man chastised himself as he moved the Chevelle's nose towards the FC's bumper.

Through the second half the race was neck and neck, David tried and failed several times to pass, but he would have to brake before he could get by.

"Damn, corners are too close for a power pass, looks like corners are my way in," David said as they came to the next hairpin.

The Chevelle flew into the corner chewing on the FC's tail lights before slipping to the inside and hooking the front right tire on the edge of the pavement letting the nose scrap against the guard rail.

"Damn it, that's another repaint," the blonde said as he once again took the lead of the race, "Now all I have to worry about is the last straight."

As they approached the finish the rear tires of the Chevelle lost traction, this time David managed to keep it off the guard rail but still lost a lot of speed which allowed the FC to pull along side of the marina blue machine. The race ended in a side by side finish that broke David's current downhill record.

"You know, I'm not sure what to make of a draw like this," David said climbing out of the 1970 Chevelle.

"Think of it as matching the reigning record holder," Ryosuke responded with a clam tone.

This post has been edited by HyperSonic on Oct 19 2012, 04:46 AM
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Oct 14 2012, 11:04 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

This story is getting good. I'm looking forward to more so I'm not going to ask for spoilers. biggrin.gif

Welcome to our corner of the internet Airpistol09! Glad to see another writer join our ranks, I'm guessing you haven't read my story yet. Not saying you should, but it would be really awesome if I got more input since this is my first try at a story. I'll also agree with you, thx712517's writing is brilliant. Shoot, a lot of the stories posted in these forums are excellent. There have been days where I've just sat in front of my computer reading. So take the time and look around. I look forward to seeing you post around the boards! If you have any questions about posting fanfics, be sure to PM me or Meteor. happy.gif

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Oct 14 2012, 11:10 PM
Saxifrage
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 01:50 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 36,872

I recommend you to read Sanae's fanfics too.Those are great!
I finished reading this fanfic on fanfiction.net ...I say this fanfic is really good cool.gif
I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this,but I don't like how the characters in fanfics can be beaten quite easily by an outsider.(NO OFFENCE)But Takumi's lost was acceptable though,because the road isn't very steep,so horsepower has a much more effect.
THX's fanfics are also about how someone else can NEARLY beat Takumi on a downhill course.That's quite ridiculous,especially the race on Akina,I don't think anyone can beat Takumi on Akina except for Bunta.

Well,that's just me.But nevertheless,these fanfics still are great. happy.gif
Airpistol09
  Posted: Oct 15 2012, 02:56 AM

IDW Full Member

Hahaha, shadow55419 gave me a hint.
since David's a muscle drifter he might be driving a Camaro.

is it a nice guess?
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 15 2012, 03:47 AM

IDW Regular Member

Guess all you want. I didn't come close with all my guesses, maybe you have better luck than me.

Chapter 15

The year and a few months between Project D's defeat at the hands of a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle and the vivid blue FD that ran as its partner flew for the driver of the Chevelle. The blonde only accepted challenges that would take him outside of Akagi, and even though they never went hunting a challenge for the team they raced more on other people's courses then the Akagi RedSuns and Project D combined. Their last race took them back to the Nikko-Irohazaka course to take on the Emperors, where they swept the board with wins.

Emily came back to Japan to visit her fiancé and his racing partner every time she had a break from her classes during David's remaining time in the country and her father still hated him as far as he knew.

A 26 year old blonde standing 5'9" tall leaned against a bright orange Nissan S15 watching the Chevelle as it was loaded on to the ship that would take it, and the S15 he was leaning against home to the states.

"David, it's been a blast, and you've gotten better since the Project D race, Have you heard from Ryosuke about Project D going to the states to race yet?" a 21 year old brown haired girl asked leaning against a blue FD.

"He still has a few hours Akari, he may show yet, or call me and tell me they aren't coming one. What about you?" David asked calmly even though he was nervous about the situation.

"Yeah, the FD goes on after the S15, after that Mr. Yokama had his Mustang brought out here for you to take us to the air port," Akari paused hearing the sounds of the 86 engine, "How much is this costing you?" she asked even though she probably didn't want to know.

"The three cars are the easy part, Project D is paying their own way," David responded as four cars pulled up next to them.

The white FC belonging to Ryosuke Takahashi pulled up next to the S15, a black FD moved to one side of the blue FD while the yellow belonging to Keisuke Takahashi moved to the other. The 86 pulled into the space between the yellow FD and the S15.

"Good to see you all made it; Kyoko I wasn't expecting you here?" David said calmly even though he felt like jumping up and down like school boy.

"Didn't expect me to miss my darling race in a different country did you," Kyoko responded sweetly as she wrapped an arm around Keisuke making him blush a little.

The dock foreman walked over and got all the information from Project D that was needed, and began loading the S15. The group waited until all the cars were loaded on the ship before heading to the car and van that would take them to the airport.

Once they arrived they spotted Mr. Yokama and his wife along with Natsuki Mogi, who had a luggage bag sitting next to her.

"Don't worry about a thing, I got a call from one of your friends that said your tools and other personal affects arrived this morning David, the vans Project D sent are in one piece too and waiting at Jason's house," Mrs. Yokama said with a kind smile on her aging face, "Oh and before I forget Emily also called this morning, her father finally gets that you were after her and nothing else, and said that the wedding is planned and the date is set, she wouldn't tell me when though, I guess she didn't want me spilling the beans."

"I want to thank you for your hospitality while I've been here," David said hugging the wife of his boss, before shaking his boss' hand, "It's set for two days after we get there," he said laughing.

"Does Emily know about the relationship changes of late?" Akari asked as they walked through the concourse towards their plane.

"I haven't told her about Natsuki and Takumi getting back together if that's what you mean, she found out about Kyoko and Keisuke when she was here a few months ago because they came to dinner with us one night while she was here," David said with his trademark devilish grin.

"I meant have you told her that Mika and Takumi broke up after our battle with Project D," the brown haired young woman said with a slight chuckle.

"That I did tell her, mainly cause I don't know enough about what happened to explain it, Takumi and Natsuki will end up having to when they get their," The blonde answered with a chuckle while turning into one of the gift shops near their gate.

"Well the way Natsuki tells it Mika broke it off to go play golf in some other country, don't know which though," Akari said quietly as they browsed through the small store before the pair walked to the gate they would board their plane to America.

A few minutes later the entire Project D and Timber Wolves team were sitting in first class waiting on the plane to take off. David, Ryosuke and Akari slept through most of the flight and Keisuke played cards with Takumi and Fumihiro, while Tomiguchi and Matsumoto read up on the latest technology put into cars.

When the plane touched down at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport the group met with a familiar face waiting for them in the baggage claim area. The tall black haired man that had been knocked over during David's first race with the Chevelle in Japan met them at the baggage claim.

"Welcome to America," Jason said before grabbing Akari's bags for her and leading them to a fleet of race ready rides waiting in short term parking with their drivers standing next to them.

"Alright folks, pick the car you want to ride in, David your treasure awaits," Jason said as he gestured to a junky looking 1970 Ford Torino Cobra, "I tuned the engine before we left this morning so she's running perfect."

David just grinned as he tossed his bag in the back seat and turned to walk back to the other group.

"Jason lets introduce the drivers before we send them off with our guests," David said remembering that a few of the guests didn't speak English.

Each person picked someone to ride with while David sorted out who could and couldn't speak English.

"Ryosuke, you're riding with Matthew, the third fastest on the Timber Wolves, he's a little crazy so smack him if he gets out of hand," David laughed as the younger red head glared at him over the roof of his red FC.

Takumi and Natsuki stood next to a black and gold Mitsubishi Lan-Evo VIII waiting to be introduced to their driver, a fellow with silver hair and a friendly face.

"Takumi and Natsuki you will be riding with a fellow we just call Pops, he's the oldest driver we have and the fastest after me," David said in Japanese as he place a hand on the older man's shoulder.

Everyone else was introduced to the people they would ride with, and the group made their way out of the short stay parking area with the Torino leading the way Akari in its passenger seat. As the five cars made their way towards David's home Akari was asking all manner of questions about who they would be racing against. David was answering as best he could, but he was honest from the start that they wouldn't know till they got to that point.

When they arrived at the hotel where Project D and assorted guests would be staying for the duration of their stay, the drivers of each car carried the bags to the rooms, and David took Akari and her bags to her room.

"Nice place, I could get used to this," David heard Takumi say as he and Natsuki were let into their room.

After everyone was settled in at the hotel David allowed the drivers to leave for home, David took the Torino back into Charlotte to meet up with his wife to be for a long overdue date. When he arrived at the house where his future in-laws lived, he paid no mind to the fact his boss' cars were in the drive way and not the garage like normal.

"SURPRISE!" was heard clear through to the next town as David stepped into the house.

David simply fell to the floor and acted like he was dead just to get back at the people in the room, who included his parents and several of the men from the Timber Wolves that had not volunteered to help with getting Project D to the hotel.

"Geez, can't take a surprise welcome home, guess you're not getting married anymore Emily," her father laughed as he stepped over David who couldn't help but laugh along with him.

The next day David got the call to go pick up the cars at the docks, and his drivers met him at Project D's hotel.

"David, why are we driving them around, you can afford to get them rentals," Matthew asked with an agitated tone as they waited.

"Because they afforded me the same gesture while I stayed in Japan, so clamp that trap before I clamp it for you," David responded as calmly as he could even though he was hung over from the night before.

Once their guests were ready and out of the hotel the team of cars followed their leader to the docks with Emily in the passenger seat of the Torino and Akari in the back seat. After two hours of driving they arrived at the docks to see seven cars waiting for them and a dock worker with clipboards on the hood of each one.

"Sign these and you can drive them out of here, do you have enough people?" the dock man asked as the cars all parked.

"Yeah, I'm the only one who has three cars to worry about, the others are covered," David said before turning to the others, "Jason you take the Torino back Emily can take the S15, the rest of you can head out."

After everything was signed the dock worker watched as the 1970 Chevelle led three FDs, an FC, an 86, and an S15 out of the dock yard.

"That is a bunch of good looking cars," he said as he went back to work.

Once the cars all arrived back at the hotel David gathered Project D's members in the lobby to discuss what would be happening over the next few days, including his wedding the following day and the fact they were invited to the event.

The next day David and Emily's wedding went without a hitch, and the reception went well into the night with a few show offs smoking their tires off in the parking lot. After the celebrations were ended and the formalities dealt with, David gathered the Timber Wolves and Project D. Akari acted as a translator for the few people in Project D who didn't speak English.

"Alright the gathering of the year is just around the corner, and the Cleveland county teams are already gathering and so are the Lincoln teams, as far as I can tell there are thirty teams taking part in this year's tournament of counties," David paused to take a breath and let Akari catch up, "That means over a hundred cars are going to be running the course this year, I know that all of you from here have been practicing, we need to get the folks from Japan familiar with the course and we only have two days, the start line is in our county this year and the finish is in Cleveland after running through Lincoln county."

After the discussion about the course, David along with Project D were led through the course by Jason, who had driven the new layout several times in the two weeks since the map was given to the teams who would take part in the tournament.

The course was a long one that followed some of the toughest public roads in each county. The cops knew all about this tournament and blocked the roads for a few days before the event each year, and a few, while off duty, even took part in it. David noticed how the members of Project D would back off the throttle each time they passed a police car not realizing they didn't care.

When the small fleet of cars crossed the finish line in Cleveland county Jason found a place to pull off so the drivers could stretch their legs.

"David, we passed a ton of police cars out there why didn't you guys slow down?" Fumihiro asked as he climbed out of the passenger seat of Ryosuke's FC.

"No reason to, this tournament of ours may not be totally legal, but the police know it brings in a ton of money so they tend to help us out for the sake of the businesses around here," Jason replied with a slight chuckle, "I even know a few officers that will be participating this year with the Timber Wolves and a few of the other teams as well."

"David, have we met your whole team?" Takumi asked in English, shocking David a little.

"Not yet, you've met just under half the team, but the ones you have met are the members that do most of the racing for the team," David replied after recovering.

The group spent another ten minutes in the pull off area discussing the rules of the tournament, and just how many people would actually race in it. Natsuki was the only one who didn't have a car to drive so she voted herself the navigator for Takumi in the 86; she had fun the time Takumi drove down Akagi in their sempai's car so she figured it would be even more fun to run a totally unfamiliar course with Takumi.

"Alright so everyone but Ryosuke and the mechanics are racing right?" Jason asked so he could tell the people running the tournament how many were entering.

"That leaves Takumi, Akari, Keisuke and Kyoko, three FDs and the Trueno for Project D" David supplied as Jason wrote things down, "And for the Timber Wolves replace the Chevelle with the Torino, and add Emily in the Silva S15."

Ryosuke made a gesture to the blonde American that only David and Keisuke saw. Once the two men were just out of ear shot of the rest of the group Ryosuke asked the question that had been on his mind since David grinned at the air port when Jason had pointed to the car.

"David, what is it about that Torino that makes it so special?" the brown haired man asked with an even tone.

"It's not so much what's under the hood like the Chevelle, but what you can do in it that you can't do in the Chevelle," David responded before walking away leaving his answer as cryptic as Ryosuke always left his.

After the group split up Jason lead the group back to the hotel while David and Emily went to their home.

"David, why don't you paint that ugly thing?" Emily asked staring at the rusty looking 1970 Torino sitting in the two car garage with the Chevelle.

"Cause I haven't had time, still don't seeing as the tournament starts tomorrow night," David replied before picking Emily up and carrying her into the house.

The next day flew by for everyone, as Jason made his way to the meeting place and starting point of every race that would take place over the next three days, with Project D's cars and vans close behind his scorch red 1970 Plymouth GTX he noticed that there were a lot of people watching from the sidelines of the course.

Once they made it to the spots reserved for them Jason left Project D to their own routine and headed for his place in the Timber Wolves line up.

"David, there are a ton of big talkers here this year," the black haired man said as he climbed out of the GTX.

"I noticed, most of them have been shooting their mouths off all night, and its only 9 o'clock," the blonde replied as he watched the crowd.

"Alright, let me have your attention here for a few minutes," A voice yelled out through a bull horn.

David looked over and noticed the guy with the horn was standing on the roof of a pretty competitive car from Lincoln County.

"The races start at ten, its open challenge, the only limit we ask is that we keep the races to three cars each so we can at least keep some safety to this thing, so find your selves some opponents so we can start on time," the man shouted before jumping off the car's roof.

At about five minutes to ten the Timber Wolves were the main opponent for the evening, and Project D was a close second because of what they brought with them.

"Alright first race will be a three way race between the Timber Wolves 1970 Plymouth GTX against the Devils 05 Mustang and the Riders 1998 Celica," the man called out from the start line as the three cars lined up.

The three cars launched off the line side by side before the GTX and Mustang left the Celica behind. The Jason's Plymouth flew through the first corner without braking at all while the mustang driver slowed down too much.

David started listening to the reports from the major turns that would lead the three drivers into the next county and was enjoying the fact Jason had yet again managed to shock and awe the mustang by not braking at all.

"David is he really clearing those corners without braking," Emily asked as the three entered one of the hardest parts in the early stage of the course.

"Probably, he knows the roads around here very well, and what's more important is he knows the car," David replied still listening to the radio calls.

Ryosuke was not showing it but he was impressed to hear that one of the Timber Wolves was going through hard curve after hard curve without using his brakes. He was also surprised at how quiet the man's team was as they listened on.

Keisuke had wandered away to check out the local rides with Kyoko hanging onto his arm. They were getting to know the Timber Wolves that they hadn't met before the event gathering when someone walked over and leaned on the rusted Torino's hood.

"Hey man, no need to lean on the cars, especially without the owner's permission," Keisuke said in perfect English, hopping he sounded polite about it.

"Oh I am the owner of this ride so back off," the guy said with an arrogant tone, "Say pretty thing, why don't you come hang out with a real man instead of a pretty boy like him," he said switching his attention to Kyoko.

"Hey jerk off, get off my car," David said rather loudly before Keisuke from lost his cool.

"This is my ride small fry, so step off," the man said with an agitated tone pushing David back with a long arm.

Ryosuke and Keisuke both saw the members of the Timber Wolves flinch before David waved his hand. They were both shocked to see how these men worked together even off the race course. The man standing in the middle of it all saw nothing of the Timber Wolves team getting ready to pound him into the ground.

"If that is truly your car, without look at it, what is the plate number?" David asked with absolute calm.

The man stammered and stuttered making it look like he was trying to figure it out, and he was getting no help from anyone.

"No one can do that, even if they own the car," the man shouted as he walked to the back of the car.

"NBR dash 1708," David said with a slight chuckle at the man's shocked face, "This is my Torino big guy, and I'll have you know there is more to that car then you will ever know."

The entire Timber Wolves team, Keisuke and Kyoko burst into all out laughter as the man grew more and more enraged.

"Hey small fry, you and me on the course next," the man shouted as David walked away.

"Don't hold back, because I won't," David said climbing into the rusted Torino.

The two cars met on the line, the rusted Torino and a Toyota Supra.

"This is the second heat for the night, the leader of the Timber Wolves in a 1970 Torino Cobra, and the leader of one of our unnamed teams," The announcer called out as the Torino's Super Cobra Jet engine roared through the custom built exhaust hidden within the shell.

The two cars took off the Torino's front wheels lifting slightly off the ground, before walking away from the Supra, and just as Jason did before him he began clearing each of the major corners in this part of the course without braking.

Ryosuke was the first to notice something about the Torino. Keisuke was the first to speak up about what the two men had seen while Takumi was content to listen to the floating theories until someone from the Timber Wolves would answer them.

"Takumi, your racing next we modified the 86 a little for flatter courses and the horsepower was raised just a little so you shouldn't fall too far behind on the hills," Matsumoto called out from the 86.

Takumi climbed behind the wheel of his beloved 86 and Natsuki climbed into the passenger seat.

Just before Takumi lined up he noticed Jason's GTX pulling back into the lot, the older man looked very pleased with himself.

"He must have won," Natsuki said as she fastened her seat belt. Takumi only nodded as he started towards the line to meet his opponent, an older model car he didn't recognize.

Ryosuke recognized the model of car from a picture he'd seen while researching the Chevelle after he first met David.

"Takumi, don't chase this car," Ryosuke said leaning against the door frame of the 86, getting a nod from Takumi.

"What does that mean?" Natsuki asked since it was her first official race with Takumi.

"I want him to chase David's Chevelle like he did on Usui pass, David would certainly be faster, so if he chases the Chevelle you two should win with ease," Ryosuke said with a small chuckle.

Just as Ryosuke came away from Takumi's 86 the rusty Torino pulled into the lot and parked in the same spot it left from.

"David, how did you get this thing to corner like that," Keisuke asked as his brother and other members of project D came over.

David explained that the Chevelle may have been the one he took to Japan but the Torino was by far the more track worthy of the pair. He spent more time and money in the suspension of the Torino before he did the motor, unlike the Chevelle where everything went to the motor rather than the suspension.

"The Chevelle is what we call a track ready show car, yeah you can drive it fast but its primary use is getting trophies at car shows. I started to build the Torino just after finishing the Chevelle, but I'm still waiting to sand and paint everything," David explained as they all walked around the cars of his team mates.

At midnight the races stopped for the police shift change in Cleveland and Gaston Counties, the change out in Lincoln County was before the races even started. They resumed at one o'clock in the morning to end for the night at four in the morning. The first night of the event went without a single loss for either Project D or the Timber Wolves. Project D returned to their hotel with Jason leading them, and the rest of the Timber Wolves stayed at the gathering sight.

"David can we race them, even Matthew over here can see the aura coming off Takumi and Keisuke, Ryosuke's is even bigger, we know they're good but if you beat them doesn't that mean we stand a chance?" the gray haired man known as Pops asked as they gathered around him and Emily.

"No Timber Wolf goes after Project D, they are my guests here," David said loud enough for them all to hear, "Pops, not even you could touch those guys on this course, we may know it better but they would still win, it's what they were used to doing."

The blonde man spent the rest of the evening explaining his race against Takumi and the 86, while the others simply listened and Emily added smaller details from the course side reports that she remembered
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 11:26 AM

Nicolas86, Takumi never lost in Akina to David, he was just kept up with by a adrinaline rushed David.
and i have read Sanae's stuff, i actually took a few ideas about some of the races from their fics, read them more than once actually tongue.gif

Airpistol09, not even close makefun.gif . and it wasn't a hint it was the basic honest answer to the questions you asked....... facepalm.gif
Airpistol09
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 02:15 PM

IDW Full Member

A Torino?

Bumblebee could have been better. lol.

I'll try to read Sanae's.

Shadow55419 since it's almost near the end let's finish this with a bang.
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 04:42 PM

airpistol09, i happen to like the torino, high power and good lookin' and i never said it was a new car tongue.gif . Bumblebee is just a toy by comparison to the chevelle and torino, least in my books.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 04:52 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Project D coming to America... My this sounds a lot like my story now. This is a really nice touch though, very natural in how it came about. I love this latest chapter, shadow55419, do you have any plans at all to write a continuation? tongue.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Saxifrage
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 06:09 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 36,872

QUOTE (shadow55419 @ 6 hours, 43 minutes ago)
Nicolas86, Takumi never lost in Akina to David, he was just kept up with by a adrinaline rushed David.
and i have read Sanae's stuff, i actually took a few ideas about some of the races from their fics, read them more than once actually tongue.gif

Airpistol09, not even close makefun.gif . and it wasn't a hint it was the basic honest answer to the questions you asked....... facepalm.gif

Ya,but it's quite crazy,attempt to perform a gutter move on his FIRST TRY was succeeded by David.
But I guess if the outsider can't beat them(or at least make the battle tough),the story won't be interesting....
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 06:34 PM

ya gotta figure in that some folks, like myself and a buddy of mine (who actually still races on the streets near where i live), are crazy enough to try the crazy stuff we see others doing tongue.gif some times we get tossed on our butts for it.

This post has been edited by shadow55419 on Oct 15 2012, 09:21 PM
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 15 2012, 07:08 PM

IDW Regular Member

A camaro is a nice car but Chargers and Mustangs are far better, lol.

Chapter 16

The morning after the event's official start David got a call and headed into Charlotte before Emily could get ready to go with him. Emily spent several hours trying to get a hold of him before calling Akari.

"Akari is everyone there?" the blonde asked hoping to hear David was with them.

"Yeah, me, Natsuki and Kyoko were getting ready to call Jason so he can take us out to the mall, do you want to instead," Akari's voice asked through the phone not hearing the concern in Emily's tone.

"Yeah, sure it'll get my mind off a few things," Emily said before hanging up and driving out to the hotel in the sedan her father had bought for her as a wedding gift.

When the four women got to the mall closest to the hotel, they ate lunch and talked about the night before and how much fun Natsuki had in Takumi's 86, before she moved her hand under the table and took of her glove.

"Natsuki, when did he propose?" Akari asked excitedly noticing the ring on the girl's hand.

"Last night just after starting the race, took his hands off the wheel and everything," Natsuki replied brandishing the ringed hand in front of the other girls.

Natsuki and Kyoko were too busy trying to figure out how to get Keisuke to propose that they didn't notice when Emily got up and walked away from the table with Akari close behind her.

"Emily, you're the married one here, what's on your mind?" Akari said in her usual calm tone.

"David got a call this morning at five o'clock, he didn't tell me anything about it, and I can't get him on the phone since then," Emily said letting the worry take over for the moment.

"Oh, is that all, he did that to me several times on days before races, or even in the middle of practice and I wouldn't hear from him until the race, even when I showed up at the house, but he always showed up on time for the races, and he was always in one piece," Akari said with a chuckle.

"But you weren't married to him, I am and I think I should know about this kind of thing," Emily finally broke down and started crying.

"You're right, I'm not married to him, but I still get to worry about him, I did watch him do some crazy stuff with a car twice the size of mine for two years you know," Akari said trying to comfort her racing partner's wife.

After about ten minutes Emily was able to pull herself together and the two ladies returned to the table where Natsuki and Kyoko were still talking about wedding details.

"Emily, how did David propose to you?" Natsuki asked when she saw the two ladies sit back down.

"During a romantic evening in Tokyo, just after dinner we were about to get in the car and he 'accidentally' dropped the keys, when I thought he was giving me the keys he had pulled out a ring," Emily laughed as she twisted the diamond ring on her finger with a gold wedding band.

The ladies enjoyed a few hours at the mall before Emily decided to take them sightseeing before returning to the hotel where Project D was staying.

"Oh boys, will you give us a hand?" Akari said as she walked into the lobby with Natsuki and Kyoko behind her.

Fumihiro, Takumi and Tomiguchi went without question to take some of their many bags. Keisuke took a little nudge from Matsumoto to go and help. Once the bags were unloaded and everyone was going to the different rooms Emily and Ryosuke stayed in the lobby.

"Ryosuke did you call David this morning?" the blonde asked before sitting down across from him.

"No, I haven't spoken to him since last night, but I have tried to call, his phone was off," Ryosuke responded.

"Alright, do you guys think you can find your way to the gathering spot tonight or should I have Jason come out?" Emily asked trying to get away from the subject that was worrying her.

"Have Jason on standby, just in case we get lost, otherwise we'll try and make our own way," Ryosuke said as usual noticing the worried look on Emily's face, but chose not to say anything.

'David, I don't know what you're up to but you better be there tonight cause I'm taking you on,' Ryosuke thought as he watched the sedan drive away with Emily at the wheel.

About an hour after the sedan left the hotel Ryosuke and Project D were getting ready to head to the gathering spot for the races when the well known marina blue Chevelle pulled into the lot.

"Ryosuke sorry for missing your call this morning, what did you want to ask me about?" David asked as he walked over to the white FC.

"I'll tell you out there, you need to go talk to Emily about what happened this morning," Ryosuke said rather coldly as he climbed into the FC.

David was shocked at his tone, so much so that he didn't even move when the FC nearly ran him over. When he heard the three other rotary engines fire up along with the 86 he jumped into the Chevelle and flew towards his home, passing Ryosuke on the way to the interstate.

When he pulled in the drive at his home David was thankful that the S15 and the Sedan were there with the Torino.

'Okay, all the cars are here,' David thought as he walked up the front steps with keys in hand.

About a half a second before putting key to lock the tall blonde stopped and reached up and rang the door bell instead. He heard footsteps inside the house; they were heavy and very fast causing him to laugh just a little.

The door flew open and Emily jumped into his arms nearly knocking him off the porch entirely.

"Where were you?" the shorter blonde asked with a hint of anger laced into the worry in her tone.

"Just handling a small surprise for Takumi and Natsuki, when I spoke with Takumi last night after the race I made a few phone calls, someone will be meeting us at the course tonight, I needed to find him a car he would be familiar with, that's all it was honey," David laughed as he started down the steps, "Will you ride with me tonight, or is Keisuke going to kill me on his brother's order?"

"I'll ride, we've only been married two days, how would it look if you went and died on me," Emily chuckled as she climbed into the Torino's passenger seat.

"Pretty good to your father," David joked as he started the Torino and pulled out of the driveway.

Once the two arrived at the gathering spot they noticed a black 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sitting with the Timber Wolves cars. David parked next to it and climbed out of the Torino.

"So this is what you had in mind, bring me out to a kiddy race," a gruff voice said in Japanese from the other side of the Impreza.

"Mr. Fujiwara the only reason I asked you here was to see Takumi race, he has a challenge laid over from last night and his fiancé asked me to get you here to see it, I'm just a middle man," David answered scratching the back of his head.

"Fiancé huh, and who is that?" the gray haired man asked.

"Bunta-san, it's nice to see you again," Natsuki called from a few feet away.

"Natsuki, did Takumi see you come over here?" David asked while moving to block Takumi's view.

"No, he's setting the car up for the race right now."

"Alright then, Fujiwara-san you can ride with me on the course, wouldn't want you getting excited and interrupting, Natsuki will be riding with Takumi."

Natsuki walked away from the two older men to join her husband to be while David showed Bunta the long course on a map that one of his teammates always carried.

"This is a long course, easy to get bored on," Bunta said as he looked at the map.

"Not so much actually, there are more natural curves in this course that the maps don't show, in a few areas it's a lot like the mountains in Japan," Jason replied not giving David the chance.

"Not mention the fact that the last quarter of the course has no lighting at all." David said with a slight glare in the direction of his black haired friend.

A short time later three cars lined up at the starting point of a nearly thirty mile course that wound its way through three counties the Torino falling in behind the other two instead of next to.

"This is a race between Project D's Toyota Trueno and the Riders 350Z, and in the observers position the Timber Wolves 1970 Torino," the announcer called out before starting the countdown.

The three cars took off together, the Z33 burning a little rubber while the 86 simply took off. The Torino waited a second after the go to take off, smoke bellowing of its tires. David did his best to keep his foot off the throttle in order to stay behind the race after showing off a little.

"Having a hard time not being in it?" Bunta asked from the passenger seat.

"Nope, just can't figure out who this guy is after, me or Takumi," David said with a laugh as he took one hand off the wheel to scratch his ear.

Bunta never flinched no matter what idiot thing David did, he just continued to stare out the windshield at the 86, watching every small movement in the car. Soon enough the Nissan 350Z gave David no choice but to pass it by. The driver of the car lost control for a split second and lost a lot of speed because of it, but once he was back in control he couldn't even see the 86 or the Torino.

"So who's the brat racing now?" Bunta asked as David picked up the pace a few notches.

"Probably my Chevelle, he's been chasing that car ever since he lost to me on Usui pass just over a year ago," David laughed, even though he should have been concentrating.

"So that's why when he drives the Subaru the tires come back nearly shredded, he's got another car to chase down the mountain."

"Probably, but I doubt that, when we met on Akina during his morning runs I was driving a borrowed Z33 like the one he was racing tonight, he wouldn't have any reference points to use since that was the only time I drove Akina seriously with him around."

"He's smarter then he lets on, if he's seen you race in such a complex course as Usui he knows exactly what your car would do and when, when he's in the 86 the tires come back with even wear on them, because he knows where he can improve his times, and how from driving the Impreza," Bunta replied before casually grabbing the handle over the door.

David down shifted and let the tail of the heavy Torino slid effortlessly through a tight left handed corner followed by a fast right hander.

Back at the start line the Timber Wolves were wondering just what was happening on the course. David told them he wasn't in the race officially yet he was running right behind Takumi and the Z33 had completely dropped out of the race and pulled over, yet Takumi and David were still going full speed through the course.

"Aniki, why do you think they haven't stopped?" Keisuke asked as they stood waiting.

"I think Takumi is still chasing the Chevelle, or perhaps even running away from it by this time," Ryosuke responded calmly.

The Timber Wolves were wondering the same thing as Project D, with David claiming observation only, the race should have stopped, but it was just picking up the pace with every corner the police were blocking. They even had a report from one of the police officers along the course that the speeds were exceeding 130 miles per hour.

"David, I don't know what's in your head right now, but please come back in one piece," Emily said quietly to herself.

Jason and the man called Pops heard what she said and took up places on either side of her just in case something went bad. David made the two men promise to take care of her while he was in Japan, and now they would continue the promise.

On the course David was dead quiet but had finally figured out Takumi's rhythm and had made it his own and was keeping up with the 86 in front of him.

"And now we see his true strength," David commented as he watched the 86.

The 86's tail lights disappeared into the darkness as they entered the area where the street wasn't lit. David followed him as closely as he possibly could to make sure he didn't lose sight of the 86 entirely. Bunta still seemed calm as ever in the passenger seat.

"How many times has he been on this course while driving?" Bunta asked out of nowhere.

"Five races last night, and one touring run are all I know about, but it could be more," David replied.

David calmed down enough to start doing what he did best, and what he was known for, driving entirely on reflex.

"So Bunta-san, what do you think of your son's abilities so far?" David asked as he kept the 86 firmly in the Torino's head lights.

"He's getting better, but he has a long way to go yet," the older man replied as they continued on the course.

David followed the 86 all the way across the finish line, to keep his observation clean he lost.

"Why didn't you two stop running when the 350 dropped out?" an official asked as the two men stepped out of the cars.

Takumi went to answer, but David waved him off discretely.

"We didn't know he had dropped out, I was forced to pass him when he lost control, and no one called me to tell me he had," David said with a calm tone.

"Then why did you continue to up the pace?"

"Isn't that the way to win a race, pick up the pace till the other guy can't follow anymore?"

"You managed to follow him."

"I only managed that because I've raced with him before I know what he can do, and I had a car that could do half the work for me."

The argument continued with Takumi never noticing his father still sitting in David's passenger seat. The tournament official finally gave up after five minutes of David's passive statements and answering questions with more questions and declared Takumi the official winner of the race and David's observation status as clean.

The driver's and their passengers made their way back to the start line using roads not used by the course because usually when the first race reached the halfway marker, they would start the next race in line.

"So why defend the brat?" Bunta asked as they pulled back into the gathering point at the start line.

"Because I've seen what the kid can do when he's mad, I mean he did keep up with a 700 horsepower car on Usui's downhill in that 86," David responded as he parked the Torino.
Airpistol09
Posted: Oct 17 2012, 01:47 AM

IDW Full Member

Yeah, why defend the brat....

and HyperSonic where's the next chapter????

I wanna read it.... w00t2.gif
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 17 2012, 01:55 AM

IDW Regular Member

I also don't get why he defended the brat... lol

Chapter 17

Bunta walked over to his son after the race, to tell him he was headed back to Japan early the next morning, and that the kid still had to do the deliveries when he got back engaged or not. Takumi looked totally freaked out, and a little pissed at his father for being so blunt in such a large crowd but he nodded anyway.

David stood across the lot and watched it all go down with a small laugh at poor Takumi's face as he watched Bunta embarrass the kid.

"Bunta-san, can you find your way to the hotel, or should I have someone take you sir?" the blonde asked as he watched the graying man come closer to the GC8.

"Better have someone lead me, I like driving too much to be driven around," the man said while lighting a cigarette.

"Yes sir, Pops would you mind leading Mr. Fujiwara to the hotel where Project D is staying, and make sure he has everything he needs," David said in English. He had no trouble at all switching between languages these days; he'd gotten quite used to it with the company he worked with.

The man known as Pops jumped into his black and gold Lan-Evo VIII before leading the black GC8 out of the lot, both cars laying down rubber before taking off at speeds way over the legal limit.

"Those two never grew up did they?" Keisuke asked with a laugh when David walked over to Project D.

"No," both Takumi and David answered at the same time.

Ryosuke chuckled quietly thinking about just how well the two younger men seemed to get along.

"Ryosuke, you said you wanted to talk to me about something, shall we have that discussion now?" David asked making everyone within earshot to go silent.

Ryosuke simply walked towards the driver's door of the FC and climbed into the well kept machine, before firing the engine and driving into the line of cars waiting to race. David flew back across the parking area and jumped into the Torino, and before anyone could ask what was happening he was in line next to the FC.

"This just turned into the event of the show," Jason told Emily while pointing out how many people were watching the two cars.

Once they got to the line David spoke to one of the announcer before walking back to the car and shaking hands with Ryosuke and climbing back into the Torino.

"Alright folks, this is a race of two leading members, Project D's 90 RX-7 and the Timber Wolves 70 Torino, the drivers requested a clear course so we're waiting till the course is clear before the race starts and until after it's over, so kill your engines and enjoy," the announcer called through his bull horn, and immediately the waiting line of cars started cutting off their engines or moving out of the line to park before shutting them off.

Reports started coming in as the last racers on the course made their way through the last section of the course so Ryosuke and David started their engines.

"Damn, I'm nervous again," David said as someone stepped between the two cars.

The race started in a wall of smoke bellowing off the Torino's tires before the car took off and easily caught the FC that had walked into the lead spot off the line after David's mistake. The Torino flew passed the FC before the first natural corner of the course, and once again without braking David threaded a needle with the Torino.

"Oops, I shouldn't have passed him like that," David said watching as the FC took a firm hold of the Torino's bumper through the corners.

Ryosuke copied every move David made through the corners, so that even though David had the horsepower advantage he could not get away from him. The brown haired man was actually starting to enjoy this race already. The two men flew through curve after curve, picking places to show off the drifting prowess they both had, one specializing in trained technique the other in controlling the power to make the car drift.

"Damn, he had to have been practicing lately, this is getting scary," David muttered as he snuck a peak at the gauges where he saw the speedometer had reached the 125 mile an hour mark. He didn't know if they were going faster or not, and to be honest with himself, he didn't want to know.

Ryosuke noticed a slight shift in the Torino's speed that was only momentary, they were on a straight stretch of the road, and his needle on his speedometer had pinned itself to the stop long before. He then spotted a set of police lights flashing in front of them.

David spotted the police lights and slammed hard on the brakes while pulling to the other side of the road and swinging the tail out of the way, noticing at the same time Ryosuke was following his lead.

"Shit, that could have been nasty," David muttered as he floored the pedal and watched the speedometer fly through the numbers once again.

The two men were so far into the course, that when the report came that they had passed a police car in full drift, people were stunned at how fast they were going since they had passed the halfway mark and were well on their way to the three quarter marker in what would be a twenty minute drive even at normal racing speeds.

"These guys are fast," Emily heard someone say as she walked across the lot to Project D.

"Akari, what do you think, will either of them walk away from this?" Emily asked quietly leaning on the blue FD's hood.

"I'm sure they both will, Ryosuke may not show it like David does, but I think they're both crazy," Akari laughed as she sat down next to Emily.

The two cars entered the section of road where the lights were out, and the Torino vanished into the darkness from in front of the FC.

'You won't fool me that way, not with that exhaust as loud as it is,' Ryosuke thought as he pushed the accelerator a little bit harder.

'Ryosuke I know you aren't fooled by me driving with my headlights off, but I have something a little more crazy in mind,' David thought as he too shoved his foot a little further down as the two cars continued through the curving roads.

A few moments later the headlights of the Torino came back on illuminating the back bumper of the white FC that had unknowingly slipped by the Torino mid corner.

"What the hell, the Torino fell behind somewhere," a man shouted across the gathering area and starting point.

"I don't believe it, David lost," Emily said so quietly that Akari barely heard her.

"It's not over yet, I think I know what he has in mind, David flew passed the FC once it came off the line, the blacked out section of the course was the only place to let Ryosuke pass while still keeping the pace, I think David wants to prove he can pass without using the power of the Torino's engine," Akari explained calmly.

What Emily didn't know at the time was that Akari was just guessing, and that she was right either way. David let the FC go by him so he could win this with a clean pass.

"Ryosuke, now we race," David muttered as he glued the Torino to the FC's rear bumper.

Both cars pinned the speedometers as they flew through one of the shortest straights in the course. David and Ryosuke drifted through a long right hand corner that swapped into a longer left handed one. At the switching point the Torino leveled with the FC on the inside of the left hander. Ryosuke saw what was coming and boxed the Torino in with a blocking drift. David switched styles and flew into another parallel drift with the FC.

"These two guys aren't racing anymore they're showing off, sliding through corners side by side," someone shouted with a tone that no one from Project D or the Timber Wolves liked.

David was beginning to regret letting the FC ahead, because every chance he could take was being blocked when he tried to take it. As they came closer to the finish line the 26 year old blonde knew what he had to do and where.

"I'm going to hate this," David said as he down shifted the Torino and let the car go to an outside line of a right handed corner and leveled again with the FC.

The two came closer to a blocked right handed corner, and David turned that corner into a game of chicken to see who would brake first and lose the lead. Both men knew what would happen if one didn't back down, but neither wanted to. Then out of what seemed like nowhere David slammed hard on the brakes and slid behind the FC to the inside line and managed to get out the corner just a head of it. Ryosuke fell in line behind the Torino and followed until the last stretch, where they crossed the finish line level with each other just like the race down Akagi nearly a year before.

"What the hell do we do now, you two crossed the line too close together to determine a winner," one of the officials of the event said as the two men got out of their cars.

"I call it a draw, I'm exhausted both mentally and physically," David said with a wide smile.

"Same here, that was a hard fought battle and I haven't the energy to do it again," Ryosuke said showing a pleased smile.

David spent a few minutes finding a few of the checkpoint speeds and their final time before walking back to Ryosuke's car where the man was waiting.

"Looks like we broke the course record, and all of the speed records set during this year's event, it's probably a good thing my needle stops at 125 miles an hour, otherwise I would have been afraid when we actually hit 150 during this run," David said kneeling next to the driver's door.

"That is pretty fast, but I must admit, this race has given me a reason to at least think about coming out of retirement, perhaps go back to gymkhana, or perhaps a school like Todo Juke, who knows, my residency is over and Keisuke has accepted an offer from a pro rally team, that will teach him more than I can," Ryosuke replied with a quiet laugh.

"That's great about you and Keisuke, but what about Takumi-kun?" David said swapping to Japanese to keep prying ears out of the conversation.

"Takumi has several offers, same as Keisuke, but he has yet to make up his mind on which one to take, his friends at the gas station are trying to talk him into GT300," Ryosuke replied also in Japanese after spotting the gathering crowds, "Let's get back before they start wondering who killed who after the race."

David was so stunned by what he heard that he had gotten into and started the Torino on autopilot, Ryosuke had just made a joke and laughed, two things David had never witnessed before.

When the two men arrived back at the gathering point the sound of loud cheering was heard over everything else, including the two cars that took off from the start line. They parked the two cars side by side at the back of the lot and before they could get out of the cars they were swarmed by the crowds. Keisuke cleared a path through the people with Emily and Akari close behind him.

Emily jumped into David's chest as soon as she made it around Keisuke.

"So no one got killed, sounded like a hell of a race," the spiked blonde said as he stood in front of the two older men.

"It was, even made me think of teaching racing techniques like the Todo Juke School," Ryosuke said staring his brother in the eye.

"And I may go into the pro rally just so I can race Keisuke," David said with as straight a face as Ryosuke.

The two blondes stared each other down before Keisuke laughed and turned on his heels, walking away from the mob that still surrounded the rusted Torino and the FC. Ryosuke and David watched as the crowds diminished from around their cars to continue having fun.

"David, just what is under the hood of this rusty old junk heap?" Akari asked without thinking twice. "I mean you guys were way over the normal track speeds."

"This one is all in the suspension set up, the motor is nothing more than a rebuilt factory motor with a new intake, re-tuned carburetor and a few other nitpicky things here and there," David responded with a chuckle at Akari's stunned appearance.

"You mean to tell me that this car has LESS power than the Chevelle?" Akari asked still looking confused.

"That's right, the Chevelle puts 790 horse power and 695 ft-lbs of torque to the ground when I had the supercharger on her, this Torino only puts 480 horsepower and 500 ft-lbs of torque to the ground, the suspension underneath is entirely modern, where the Chevelle's is almost as it was when it came off the factory line in 1970 just built with more modern technology."

Ryosuke was listening to David's explanation when he saw the red haired man introduced as Matthew walking towards the Project D team spaces.

"David, we need to hear what Matthew wants," the brown haired man said walking towards his teammates.

The two men and two women got to the Project D 'pit area' right before Matthew did. The young man walked straight up to Takumi and looked the man straight in the face.

"Takumi Fujiwara I'm challenging you and your 86," the red head said loud enough for the whole team to hear. "Just you and me on a clear course buddy."

"Takumi, let me take care of him," David said grabbing Matthew by his ear and dragging him off.

Takumi and the rest of Project D and their three guests watched on as David dragged Matthew out into the middle of one of the fields behind the large parking area and chew him out.

"Matthew I told you flat out that no Timber Wolf goes after them, and you just went against me while I was standing right there with you," David shouted down at the younger man, "I know you want to race but let it be by someone else taking you on, you can't beat him," he finished in a slightly lower tone.

"That's not true, my FC has more power than Pops' Lan-Evo," Matthew shot back the anger clear in his voice.

"Yeah it does, but against him that won't make a bit of difference, and I'll tell you this because I know you respect what this team is, I have lost to that kid," David said calmly as he turned his back on Matthew, "Kid if you want your butt handed to you on a platter, go right ahead and race him."

David thought for a split second too long when he heard the sound of hurried footsteps heading back towards the parking lot. He ran after the young red head reaching him only after he had confirmed his challenge with Takumi and was walking back to his FC.

"Takumi, I ask one favor of you," David said through the driver's window of the 86, "Leave him sucking on dust and exhaust from the start, he could use a touch of humility."

The blonde walked away from the car towards the announcer for the races.

"Hey, Tom need a favor from you big guy," David said when he got to the older man who was still on top of his car.

"Anything for you and the Timber Wolves, you are the hosts after all," the graying man said crouching on the roof of his car.

"Clear the way, and set up the channels, I want to know when Matthew gets left if it doesn't happen at the line."

"Done."

David walked away from the car as the man started shouting out orders and getting things ready for what would probably be the shortest race of the entire event as the two cars met on the line.

"Remember your instructions Takumi," Natsuki said from the passenger seat of the panda Trueno.

Takumi just laughed a little as the signal to ready the cars was given. The rotary engine of the FC carried a loud exhaust tone compared to the 86's low growl.

"David, can Matthew's exhaust get any louder?" Jason asked with a load of sarcasm in his tone.

Before David could answer the 86 took off with the FC right on its back right quarter panel. The FC quickly leveled with the 86 before slowly powering ahead and sliding into the lead. The 86 stuck to the backside of the FC till the first corner as if the two cars were glued together.

"Now the fun begins, Matthew knows how to handle the new power when moving forward, but now we see if he can stop it," Pops said as he climbed out of his Lan-Evo.

"You're right as usual Mac ole buddy," David said with a steady tone.

David had been right to tell Takumi what he had, Matthew was an aggressive driver, but the horsepower rating of the FC was upped for this event only three days before it, the kid was still learning the new abilities and limits the bright red machine had.

Takumi noticed the brake lights come on either too late or too early as they cleared a few of the natural curves in the road, and he also noticed that the FC was not being pushed as hard as Ryosuke did with his.

"Natsuki, hang on to something, this might get a little more rough than usual," Takumi said with total calm.

Natsuki grabbed the door and handle on the door frame, Takumi down shifted a gear and walked past the bright FC it had been chasing in the first corner they came to. The 86 and its two passengers then began clearing corners as fast as they could. Takumi could hear Natsuki start laughing like a mad woman and he couldn't help but chuckle a little.

"David, he got passed somewhere between the first and second blocked corners, Takumi is already five seconds ahead," Jason said after hearing the last report.

David just grinned and walked over to the Project D side of the lot. While he walked he heard a lot of people talking about the Timber Wolves third fastest man losing his mind to race against the 86, or that something was wrong with the FC.

"David, which is it?" He heard someone ask as he walked by one of the conversations.

"It's both, the driver of the FC is out of his mind, and the FC isn't tuned to his liking yet," the blonde responded while continuing to walk.

Ryosuke heard what David had said, and to him it made no sense at all to say the FC wasn't tuned properly, but he chose to ignore it until David brought it up himself.

"You're wondering why I told them that aren't you Ryosuke?" the blonde said almost reading the man's mind, "It's because that's the truth, Matthew tuned the car the day before we got back, then had no time to practice with it, the suspension is all wrong and now he knows it."

"You really did try to talk him out of it when you dragged him off didn't you?" Keisuke asked leaning on the black FD's fender.

David only nodded as the report that the FC had officially dropped out of the race with a nearly twelve second gap between him and the 86 came through one of the radios nearby.

"Hey Ryosuke, it's only the second day of this event, want your first student?" David asked with a laugh.

"Sure, why not," Ryosuke laughed causing nearly the entire Project D team to fall in shock.

David and Ryosuke both noticed the reaction and just laughed harder.

The bright red FC pulled into the lot and parked in its place, David and Ryosuke walked over as the red headed driver climbed out of the car. David snatched the keys before Matthew could stuff them in his pocket.

"Ryosuke, you take it for a spin if you like, you should know the car you'll be teaching in," David said with a serious tone that left no room for Matthew to argue.

David threw the keys over his shoulder to Ryosuke who just caught them and walked to the driver's door on the left side of the car. As the brown haired man climbed into his car, Matthew looked like he was about to blow his lid.

"David, why are you letting him drive my car?" the red head asked through gritted teeth.

"So he can teach you how to drive it, he drives one himself after all," David said with total calm even though he knew the red headed kid wanted to pound him into the pavement beneath their feet.

When Ryosuke returned to the parking area Matthew nearly ran over three people and a car getting to him. David had to grab his collar to keep him from running over Ryosuke as he climbed out of the driver's seat.

"So how was it?" Emily asked as David continued holding Matthew back.

"It's a pretty powerful machine, but the brakes and suspension need some minor work," The taller brown haired man replied.

David and Emily both chuckled when the angry look on their red headed friend's face turned to a happy grin. The four of them spent the rest of the evening talking about what to adjust on the car and just how the red FC would handle after the fact.

The next morning David got a call from Matthew, telling him he wouldn't be at the races that evening because the FC was being worked on, so David made the call withdrawing the FC from any further races before heading to his parent's house with his wife.

"Well how is everything going?" David's mom asked after hugging the two of them.

"Not too bad, I think our guests from Japan are enjoying things over here," David said as they sat down at the table for breakfast.

"And how is Mac doing?" David's father asked as the four of them sat down.

"Pops is fine, getting a bit faster even in his old age," David said with a laugh.

The catching up on familial events went on till lunch when David got a call that forced them away from his family.

When they arrived at the hotel where Project D was staying they saw a massive dent and a few gnarly scratches in the quarter panel on the driver's side of Akari's FD where the Timber Wolves sticker was as wrinkled and torn up as the panel itself as well as a broken tail light.

"Geez, who did this?" Emily asked worriedly as Ryosuke and a positively furious Akari came out of the hotel.

"We're not sure, the hotel is looking at the tapes for the camera now," Ryosuke replied pointing to the camera on the corner of the building that pointed at the project D cars.

When the manager of the hotel came out he knew that things were going to be very bad no matter how he broke the news to the four people standing in front of him.

"Here is the picture of the people who did this," He said handing the picture to Ryosuke, who took a long look at it.

"David, do you recognize these two?" he asked putting the picture in David's hand.

"I do these two are pretty notorious around here, and I know just where we'll find them too, we'll get these two at the races tonight," David said through gritted teeth anger very evident in his tone.

Once Akari calmed down they all drove to the parking area where the street racing event of the year was happening and parked Project D and Akari's damaged FD with the Timber Wolves instead of across from them.

"Everyone, be on the lookout, Akari just try and not kill them if you see them," David said with a serious tone.

As the night progressed no one challenged either team but often came over to tell the two teams what they'd heard about Akari's car and the two who did it. Most even apologized for the disrespectful manner in which she and her car were treated.

During the police shift change two new cars pulled into the parking area, a bright yellow Nissan 350Z, and a brand new white Nissan GT-R. The entire parking area seemed to go quiet as if time was standing still while the two cars made their way through, by now everyone knew these two had gone after a fellow street racer's car with a bat.

David walked over to the two cars with all eyes in the parking area on them. Everyone seemed to collectively inhale and hold their breath as two big guys climbed out of the driver's seats of the two cars wearing huge grins on their faces not noticing the eerie quiet surrounding them, not even the sounds of the car's stereos were heard.

"Welcome to the event, I don't believe we've met, I'm David Crandon, leader of the Timber Wolves team," the blonde said not knowing where his steady tone was coming from considering the pure anger he was really feeling.

"Well I don't care who you are, we just came to hang out and race," The GT-R driver said shoving David's hand away.

"You won't be racing anyone tonight, you two went after a car in this parking lot with a bat for no reason, and everyone here knows it."

"I don't know what you're talking about punk so back off," The GT-R driver once again replied as he pushed David to the ground.

The entire Timber Wolves team and Project D jumped into a run with Emily and Akari leading the way with Pops and Jason close behind. David stood up and waved his friends off before they could get to the two cars and their drivers.

"Fine then, lets settle this my way then, two races for pink slips, losers walk home from Cleveland County," David said his tone starting to show the anger he was feeling.

"Who's the second driver?" the 350Z's driver asked finally joining the conversation.

"Him," David said pointing at Pops and his Lan-Evo VIII.

The two drivers went back over to their cars and the parking area seemed to come back to life as time seemed to resume and everyone let out their collective breath. David and the entire group that were there with him walked back to the large group of cars.

"David, let Akari make this run," Pops said with a hint of anger in his tone.

"Mac you're right again, I should let Akari make this run, but she could very easily cut a tire with that quarter panel as is, I don't want that to happen," David said in his 'no arguing' tone.

Keisuke did something no one expected, the bleach blonde threw his keys to Akari.

"Don't you dare lose," he said turning away before anyone could try to talk him out of it.

David and Ryosuke both gave an approving nod as Akari climbed into the driver's seat of the yellow mica FD. The rusted Torino came to life with the roar of a lion drowning out the exhaust of the other car.

"Akari, remember this car is wider than your own FD," Fumihiro said through the window after no one else seemed concerned with the fact, "It should be easy for both of you but like Keisuke said, don't you dare lose."

"This is a clear course pink slip race, two cars at a time first up the Timber Wolves Torino against the Nissan GT-R," The announcer shouted as the two cars pulled up to the line.

Both cars took off at the same time, the Torino going into a low wheel stand before simply walking away from the other car. By the time the GT-R reached the finish line David had opened a nearly twenty second gap and was out of his car when it pulled into the lot.

"Alright, the first race is over the Timber Wolves won it," the announcer said through the bull horn just before the entire parking area erupted into cheers and applause, once things calmed he announced the second race, "The second race is going to be Akari of Project D in the yellow FD against the yellow Z33."

The crowd once again went silent as the two cars lined up waiting for the start, both engines roaring loudly as the starting man stepped out between the two cars. The Nissan's engine seemed quiet next to the enraged roar of the FD's rotary engine as they took off from the line like two bullets from a gun, the FD leading the way.

As the two cars made their way through the tight corners of the course Akari drifted the first few corners to get used to the differences between her car and Keisuke's, but they were only a half mile from the starting line and she loved every inch of this car. The brown haired girl floored the accelerator and left the Nissan sucking on exhaust fumes and dust as she tore through curve after curve without taking her foot off the floor.

"Keisuke, why did you lend Akari your car?" Emily asked after finding him in one of the vans.

"Because two years ago Project D went up against a couple of cheaters, Kyoko saved me when she showed up in her FD, I figured why not save someone else the way she saved me," Keisuke said without a shred of any emotion but honesty in his tone.

"So you do have a heart after all," Emily chuckled as she walked away from the younger man.

On the course the yellow Mazda was holding a three second gap between it and the Nissan that was barely a spec in its rear view mirror. The brown haired girl at the wheel of the Mazda pushed her foot a little closer to the floor each time they came out of a corner as they moved into the section where they had no street lights to light their way.

"Now we have some fun," Akari said as once again she pushed the yellow FD harder only to find out the car still had more to give.

The gap began to open again as they flew through this section of the course, David managed to hear that the gap going in was three seconds, at the half way mark of the unlit section the gap had already opened to five seconds.

"Geez, she is flying," David said throwing the keys to his new GT-R into the air while the pink slip rested in his coat pocket.

The yellow FD crossed the finish line and had just enough time to park next to the rusted Torino before the opposing Nissan came across the finish line, as Akari climbed out of the FD she had a grin from ear to ear on her face.

"So what will you do with your new Nissan Z33 Akari?" David asked loud enough for the other driver to hear as he walked over with an angry look on his face.

"Think I'll sell it for parts so I can fix my FD," the brown haired girl responded with a laugh.

"No you won't, you said that FD isn't yours, which means you should never have been able to drive it that way," The Z33 driver screamed as he walked over to the two people.

"Actually the fact I drive a nearly identical FD, and the fact I've driven five different ones says I can drive this one any way I want to," Akari said with an ice cold tone.

David was only slightly taken back by her tone, he had heard it before but this seemed different somehow, she was still pissed and something was about to happen, the blonde just couldn't figure out what.

Akari walked calmly towards the bigger man and looked up into his eyes, before bringing his eyes down to her line of sight with a swift kick in the man's groin.

David flinched slightly before walking over to the girl who now wore a satisfied grin on her face as the Nissan's driver handed his keys to her.

"That was for hitting my Timber Wolves sticker, me taking your car is for you pounding my fender in," Akari said looking over her shoulder.

Before the two headed back they walked around looking for a pair of drivers for the two cars they had just won.

"David, I heard you call Pops by the name Mac, is he the one who gave you the 300ZX you told me and Emily about in Japan?" Akari asked as they walked.

"Yeah, he's also the man I took the team from way back when, he stayed on cause he knew everyone and I didn't then, why he's still here now I couldn't really tell you," David said with a chuckle.

Once the pair found two drivers for their new cars, the FD and Torino made their way back to the main parking area with the two Nissan's close behind with the volunteer drivers behind their steering wheels. When the four cars pulled into the lot the crowds once again broke into applause and cheers. Once they parked Akari tossed Keisuke his keys back as the two volunteers tossed the keys to the two Nissan's to David.

"She's a great ride, I think I'm going to set mine up in a similar fashion," Akari said while Keisuke inspected the car.

Everything went back to normal for the rest of the night, including people challenging the Timber Wolves and Project D. Akari used her new Z33 to race in since her FD was torn up. The two guys that beat up her FD were arrested in the parking area at the courses end for vandalism and willful destruction of private property, and a few other charges that had nothing to do with the races.

"Yo David, you've got that spiffy new GT-R why not use it in a race with me tonight?" Tom, the graying man who was calling the races for the night, asked in a kind tone as he walked towards the team.

"Sure, why not Tom, I've got nothing better, hope your old Nissan can handle the beating though," David said as he walked towards the white Nissan.

"You know they still called it Datsun here that year right?" the graying man asked as he back stepped a couple times. The question went unanswered.

The two Nissans met on the starting line, a brand new white GT-R sitting next to a blue 1976 280Z.

As the cars revved against each other on the line everyone stopped to watch the start of what would be the last race of the event.

"We have the Timber Wolves new Nissan GT-R facing off against our very own announcer this evening leader of the Blue Lightning team," a voice rang out from near the start line just before the two cars launched onto the course.

As the cars entered the first corners of the course David fell behind the blue 280Z.

"Shouldn't have taken this one I guess, forgot that damn car of his handles like that," the blonde said through gritted teeth as he watched the smaller car fly through the corners ahead of him.

As the two cars passed the second blocked corner David finally was getting a feel for how the GT-R moved and felt.

"Alright, now we race," David said with a smirk as he punched the accelerator to the floorboard.

As the two cars approached the next blocked corner David maneuvered the GT-R to the outside line.

"Not gonna work on me kid," Tom said as he slammed on the brakes to block David from slipping behind to the inside line.

David pulled the steering wheel hard right and pulled the emergency brake for the first time in at least three years, allowing the back of the GT-R to slide out before releasing it and flooring the throttle and drifting through the outside to take the lead.

"Damn that kid is nuts," Tom said as he exhaled the breath he'd taken just before the turn as he watched the white car in front of him begin to pull ahead slightly.

David sat behind the wheel of the GT-R trying not to think of how he'd done what he had without crashing into the police car as they approached some of the harder corners he floored the throttle and listened the 3.8L Twin Turbo engine sing.

As they approached the last quarter of the course, now called 'blackout' section thanks to David and Takumi's no headlight driving, David shut the lights of the GT-R off and drove by his memory as Takumi had done, the blonde could hear the 280Z getting closer to his bumper so he pushed the pedal to the floor and hoped for the best.

As the two cars approached the finish both engines could be heard but only one car could be seen, the 280Z.

"Where's the Timber Wolf?" Someone shouted from the crowd just before the headlights of the GT-R came back on and crossed the line just ahead of the 280Z.

The crowd at the line was freaking out, all manner of questions were being asked as the GT-R parked in one of the spots reserved for cars coming off the course.

"Nice conversation we were having back there, why'd you go and spoil it?" Tom asked as the race official approached the two men.

"I had to win, my teammates wouldn't respect me if I didn't Tom, yours do anyway," David said with a laugh before the official could speak.

"Well David, looks like the Timber Wolves take this tournament in team wins, that's if you're counting this as a team race," the official said shaking the blonde's hand.

"Nah, this was a fun one," David said before turning back towards his car.

"Were you guys really talking back there on the course?" the official asked before the two men could get back in their cars.

"Yeah, we got bored so we talked," Tom said with a laugh as both he and David got back in their cars and drove off.

The Timber Wolves took overall individual wins in the tournament and second in over all team wins, losing out to Project D by two races. The event ended with a fireworks show set up by one of the other teams participating.

This post has been edited by HyperSonic on Oct 19 2012, 04:49 AM
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 17 2012, 02:04 AM

both Hypersonic and Airpistol09
he wasn't so much defending the brat if you notice, never once said Takumi did nothing wrong, just made passive statements and questioned the logic.... more like annoyed the official into letting Takumi keep his win and him stay clean as observer.

This post has been edited by shadow55419 on Oct 17 2012, 02:05 AM
Airpistol09
Posted: Oct 17 2012, 02:20 AM

IDW Full Member

Wooooohooooo, nice chapter, when Keisuke had a problem with his FD Kyoko let him drive hers, now Akari had a problem with her FD keisuke let her drove his.

What would David do to his GTR? I want him to race the GTR... derp.gif

This post has been edited by Airpistol09 on Oct 17 2012, 02:21 AM
shadow55419
Posted: Oct 17 2012, 02:25 AM

i may do that as a one chapter one race thing Airpistol, but its not in this one unfortuantely sad.gif

3 Pages  1 2 3