Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Mega NRG Man - Back on the Rocks

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 5,569  ·  Replies: 40 
> Brake pads?, Could it be?
Tessou
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 06:15 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

^ Calling cmspaz an idiot multiple times is not talking about brake pads, that's bullying, and disrespectful.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 09:18 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (Cactus @ 4 hours, 7 minutes ago)
Frankly, down the line when I actually get that performance car I'm dreaming about, I will brutalize them at the track, and not daily drive it.

It's easier said than done. If you do get it and can use it as a dedicated track car and not as a dual-purpose daily driver, then you will have that luxury. I don't.
MetalMan777
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 09:35 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 17 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
It's easier said than done. If you do get it and can use it as a dedicated track car and not as a dual-purpose daily driver, then you will have that luxury. I don't.

Yeah, that's why it's kinda a pipe dream. I'm not entirely sure I want it to be street legal. Straight pipe exhaust ftw.

Also my car now should be my daily forever. I can probably afford to keep it going and going. Parts cars are easy to find.
peemyTNBow
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 11:40 AM

Unregistered

There are only a few companies that supply true RACING brakes and brake pads:

Caliper and Rotor Equipment:

-Endless
-Alcon
-AP Racing
-Brembo

Pads:

-Endless
-Performance Friction
-Pagid

Fluid:

-Castrol SRF
-Endless RF650
-Motul
-AP 600

flohtingPoint
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 11:45 AM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

QUOTE (BmwNeoType @ 4 minutes, 57 seconds ago)
There are only a few companies that supply true RACING brakes and brake pads:

Caliper and Rotor Equipment:

-Endless
-Alcon
-AP Racing
-Brembo

Pads:

-Endless
-Performance Friction
-Pagid

Fluid:

-Castrol SRF
-Endless RF650
-Motul
-AP 600

You forgot Willwood, Hitco and Carbon Industries. Two of which supply F1.

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Feb 19 2010, 11:45 AM
peemyTNBow
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 12:34 PM

Unregistered

Carbon Industries and Hitco only supply strictly Carbon brakes to very specific applications. They cannot be purchased by regular end users.

Although I do like, and don't mind Wilwood products. I don't see them used in professional racing as much anymore. Although them and stoptech are still here and there....

flohtingPoint
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 12:55 PM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (BmwNeoType @ 20 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
Carbon Industries and Hitco only supply strictly Carbon brakes to very specific applications. They cannot be purchased by regular end users.

Although I do like, and don't mind Wilwood products. I don't see them used in professional racing as much anymore. Although them and stoptech are still here and there....

You just said real racing brakes, nothing about end users =P
peemyTNBow
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 03:54 PM

Unregistered

^ This is true, but still carbon technology for the most part, is still out of the reach of most people even big racing teams. The Carbon F1 stuff is different even than the Porsche PCCB stuff, etc.

Although Endless Japan has a lot of technology they don't openly discuss, we still do let end users buy it if they have the money or application.

MattW
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 04:36 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

Willwood is almost exclusively used in NASCAR.
flohtingPoint
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 06:43 PM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (MattW @ 2 hours, 6 minutes ago)

Countless IMSA cars too.
peemyTNBow
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 07:39 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (MattW @ 3 hours, 2 minutes ago)

We are working with quite a few NASCAR teams now. At least the ones that are doing well.

Most of them have switched to Alcon or AP Calipers. The Polymatrix pad is still popular in NASCAR, but it's just sold under the Wilwood brand. It's a Raybestos pad.

This post has been edited by BmwNeoType on Feb 19 2010, 07:44 PM
MetalMan777
Posted: Feb 20 2010, 09:24 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Alright, question time.

I have a friend who says he has a problem with his brakes getting too hot. He wants to get slotted rotors because increased surface area etc. and he thinks it'll dissipate heat faster. I'm inclined to say "no you twat, it won't possibly radiate enough extra heat to matter" but I have no hard evidence that slotted rotors are any worse than regular flat ones. I know the slots help resurface the pads if they start glazing, but that's about it.

Is he going for the right thing here? Is he sane? I'm tempted to just go along with whatever he says because it's easier than proving him right.
flohtingPoint
Posted: Feb 20 2010, 09:27 PM

IDW Banned Member

Nick had a great post about drilled and/or slotted rotors a few years back. Do a search for it, it was a pretty good read.
Spaz
Posted: Feb 21 2010, 05:22 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but slots are for cleaning the pad and holes are for gassing. Neither are for cooling, and both actually increase heat absorption during breaking (though the rotors cool quicker as well).
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
peemyTNBow
Posted: Feb 21 2010, 02:31 PM

Unregistered

The slots are there for 2 reasons. All the rotor is, is a giant heatsink. The slits are there for cooling yes, but also to increase the overall surface area of a rotor (think about it, it should make sense). The second one depends on the quality of the rotor slots/cuts. The vanes do help with cooling as well.

Higher end 2 piece rotors like ALCON, AP or Our rotors don't use regular cast iron. They use a stainless and or carbon blend that's also more durable to warping and high stress applications. That's why they cost a lot more than the usual stuff. But, for most street cars, the usual stuff is 90 percent more than enough.

Endless right now has 2 kinds of rotors, Curved Vane, and E-Slit type. The E-Slit for us, also serves a 3rd function as a wear marker. Once the "E"s are gone (yes, E, does stand for Endless), and only the curved vanes remain, usually good time to replace the rotor.

In that case usually since the rotor is 2 piece, you can just replace the rotor instead of the hat, and everything.

The only reason people ever drilled rotors was to make the rotor lighter to get around some old class rules, and the trend stuck. Most race rotors are never drilled or dimpled. Only slotted.

This post has been edited by BmwNeoType on Feb 21 2010, 02:31 PM
flohtingPoint
Posted: Feb 21 2010, 05:58 PM

IDW Banned Member

From Grassroots Motorsports:
Crossdrilling your rotors might look neat, but what is it really doing for you? Well, unless your car is using brake pads from the '40s and 50s, not a whole lot. Rotors were first drilled because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures, a process known as "gassing out." ...It was an effective solution, but today's friction materials do not exhibit the some gassing out phenomenon as the early pads. Contrary to popular belief, they don't lower temperatures. (In fact, by removing weight from the rotor, they can actually cause temperatures to increase a little.) These holes create stress risers that allow the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads--sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop. Want more evidence? Look at NASCAR or F1. You would think that if drilling holes in the rotor was the hot ticket, these teams would be doing it...Slotting rotors, on the other hand, might be a consideration if your sanctioning body allows for it. Cutting thin slots across the face of the rotor can actually help to clean the face of the brake pads over time, helping to reduce the glazing often found during high-speed use which can lower the coefficient of friction. While there may still be a small concern over creating stress risers in the face of the rotor, if the slots are shallow and cut properly, the trade-off appears to be worth the risk. (Have you looked at a NASCAR rotor lately?)

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Feb 21 2010, 05:59 PM

2 Pages  1 2