Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Beat of the Rising Sun

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a topic. Posting a repeated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Advertising without any actual participation in the forums is consider spamming. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
• Post Initial D / Automotive related merchandise here. Unrelated threads will be locked and the topic starter could receive a verbal warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,063  ·  Replies: 13 
> TokyoPop Boycott?, Will U refuse to Watch TokyoPop Version?

TokyoPop Boycott?
I will _NOT_ watch the TokyoPop version of Initial D. [ 9 ]  [40.91%]
I _WILL_ Watch the TokyoPop Version in October 2003. [ 2 ]  [9.09%]
I _PLAN_ on purchasing a copy of the TokyoPop version. [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
I HAVE a copy on RESERVE ALREADY!!!! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This is LAME - i revoke your 1st Amendment rights... [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
TokyoPop Sucks...but I'm still watching. [ 5 ]  [22.73%]
TokyoPop Sucks...I'm not watching. [ 3 ]  [13.64%]
TokyoPop WHO? [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I'm a fan regardless of TokyoPop's editing. I'm watching. [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
I have no opinion. [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
jimbo
    Posted on Sep 1 2003, 01:47 AM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 674

I've created this poll without the knowledge of any previous polls or threads on this topic. So if this is old hat - challenge me to a BATTLE. However, I'll be riding a Suzuki GSX-R and not no Rice Burning Drift Monsta. My home course is Skyline Boulevard in La Honda California or Mines Road in Livermore California. I'm far from being the fastest... blink.gif

Also, I created this poll with the thought that it may be hypocritical to condemn TokyoPop before having seen their work. I think this with each condemning and disparaging remark i read here made against TP. As a new fan, I'd welcome a version that did not have to be Americanized with different names that were easy to remember or pronounce OR have elements removed like Mogi's true storyline but I say all this without knowing what TP will be doing in the US release. I personally will be purchasing the TP versions since I'd like to add to my collection of a fascinating story that is Initial D.

have fun...

jamesguanzon@yahoo.com
Kamui
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 08:18 AM

Abba Zaba, you my only friend!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 469

screw toykopop i burn there company down fear2.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
S15-guy
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 11:30 AM

dampachi!

Member No.: 177

why would I want to PAY to watch a bullshit version of an anime I already have?

also, what is the point of collecting something that doesnt make sense? Like you just cant cut out a whole section of a characters storyline because its not appropriate for younger children. They even replaced the exhaust noises so their cars sounds like a civic with a drainpipe on the back of it.

Do yourself a favour, buy some hong kong DVD's from Ebay, you will get the proper experience, and you will save yourself a lot of money.

oh, and you wont have to hear 'Iggy' saying shit like "Yo, Tak, my homie, what up biatch, yo 86 is a phat ride"
karasac
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 11:39 AM

Rotary Disciple

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (jimbo @ Sep 1 2003, 01:45 AM)

Also, I created this poll with the thought that it may be hypocritical to condemn TokyoPop before having seen their work.

we've already seen enough of their work, look at what they did to the manga

and theres a thread thats pinned in this section, a company already did a review of it and they say it sucks donkey nuts, due to the fact that they cut parts of the story and alterd the original sounds and added some "effects" durring the race secnes

enough said
Perry
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 11:48 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

CODE
Do yourself a favour, buy some hong kong DVD's from Ebay, you will get the proper experience, and you will save yourself a lot of money.

He already got the full set of Initial D. ^^;;

oh, and you wont have to hear 'Iggy' saying shit like "Yo, Tak, my homie, what up biatch, yo 86 is a phat ride"

LOL !!!!!

On a more serious note, I refuse to purchase TP version of Initial D. First, I don't have the money. (30 dollars for 3 episodes? Too expensive!) Second, I dislike TP because they don't appreciate the work Shigeno Shuichi (Author of Initial D) had done. Third, Initial D is one of the several animes that were originally target toward a group of more mature audience, editing out Mogi's prostitution part (Underage prostitution is actually a serious problem in Japan right now) will just drive the series to an impasse later on.

However, I would like to download a copy of the TP version of Initial D off KaZaA Lite or IRC, just to see how they screw it up. This is my way to boycott TP.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Indecisive
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 12:04 PM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

QUOTE (Perry @ Sep 1 2003, 12:46 PM)
CODE

LOL !!!!!

On a more serious note, I refuse to purchase TP version of Initial D. First, I don't have the money. (30 dollars for 3 episodes? Too expensive!) Second, I dislike TP because they don't appreciate the work Shigeno Shuichi (Author of Initial D) had done. Third, Initial D is one of the several animes that were originally target toward a group of more mature audience, editing out Mogi's prostitution part (Underage prostitution is actually a serious problem in Japan right now) will just drive the series to an impasse later on.

However, I would like to download a copy of the TP version of Initial D off KaZaA Lite or IRC, just to see how they screw it up. This is my way to boycott TP.

help boycott tokyochop by supporting piracy of their product....I like your style
driftFD
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 01:38 PM

Jesus is my homeboy...

Member No.: 549

ohmy.gif That shmuck stole my boycott idea! nooooooooo!
Evolution
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 05:27 PM

Moo!!

Member No.: 657

I would boycott tokyopop just for what they did to ID. I think they should give some1 other company the job to bring it it north america and not change anything in the series.
solypsist
Posted on Sep 1 2003, 07:49 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 664

hmmmm......I've already seen all the stages, so why bother? I'll stick with the fan-subtitled ones.
jimbo
  Posted on Sep 2 2003, 02:09 PM

IDW Full Member

QUOTE (Perry @ Sep 1 2003, 11:46 AM)
CODE

hi perry-
yes i did get the full set of INITIAL D thru http://www.jackadeal.com/

Is there a way to determine if i have the 'genuine article'? Did anyone else purchase the DVD set thru EBAY or other retailers or in Hong Kong or Japan? I haven't seen the underground versions of ID but the voices appear to be from the same Japanese voice actors throughout the series.

In anycase, i'd prefer to see the show as it was meant to be seen. Specifically, as the artist intended. didn't want to hunt for the stuff thru Kazaa or other P2P or your standard search engine since there would be too many gaps in the episodes or edits by the posters. I've seen versions of the Extra Stage that had scenes edited out. so i opted for the more expensive solution...

but you end your post with something interesting...

You "DO" plan on watching the TP version "just to see how they screw it up". whether you buy it or not is a separate issue. but will the posters who have complained "REALLY" make a conscious effort not to watch the bastardized TP version?

this may sound corny but i do care about the characters in the story and can only assume that those who are complaining are doing so also because TokyoPop has compromised the integrity of a story that they identify with and care about.

if you get enough intelligent and moderated discussion on a board like this with true fans you have a better chance of making a difference with the owners or licensors (ie TokyoPop) of intellectual and artistic property like Initial D. Think about this -- if the TP release of ID is a total flop is this a GOOD thing for the overall reputation of Initial D?

In my opinion, no.

in anycase, thanks for administering and moderating the Initial D forum so far it's got some interesting content.
Kamui
Posted on Sep 2 2003, 04:08 PM

The dvds of ID from hong kong are bootlegs the originals where never released on dvd from japan with subtitles thats why when you watch your ID dvds a email adress pops up at the bottom every 15 minutes

and yes my ID dvds are bootlegs but work perfect along with my X series
on dvd alot of animes are bootlegs

netbizkit
Posted on Sep 3 2003, 03:31 PM

MASTER PROCOKER

Member No.: 312

nuttin like a good bootleg
Kamui
Posted on Sep 3 2003, 03:43 PM

yup happy.gif
jimbo
  Posted on Sep 5 2003, 02:39 AM

IDW Full Member

QUOTE (S15-guy @ Sep 1 2003, 11:28 AM)
Like you just cant cut out a whole section of a characters storyline because its not appropriate for younger children.

It's a shame that TP had to cut out this section. Since what's acceptable in Japan would never fly in the States. So how do they get around Takumi's motivation to go race ( Lan-Evo guy? who ? ) after spying on Mogi at Family's?

hmmm... so i guess my stuff is bootlegged to some degree... the email address pop-ups indicate that these are 'fan-subtitled' editions OR is this some company ? have any of you emailed these joints?